It is not well to be thought of as one who meekly submits to insolence and intimidation.

computers / comp.sys.unisys / Re: WRAP on MCP Express

SubjectAuthor
* WRAP on MCP ExpressVal
`* Re: WRAP on MCP ExpressVal
 `* Re: WRAP on MCP ExpressPaul Kimpel
  `* Re: WRAP on MCP Expressramseyhere
   `- Re: WRAP on MCP ExpressVal

1
WRAP on MCP Express

<0c56cc0c-1cdb-465f-8ff1-1321edbaa532n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38&group=comp.sys.unisys#38

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 18:41:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: WRAP on MCP Express
From: jaycee.lions@gmail.com (Val)
 by: Val - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 01:41 UTC

I am trying to WRAP files (Object) into a container, and it errors as "Hazardous files). I have tried to do a RESTRICT - FILE on the objects, and wrap - it still does not wrap but says Hazardous files

How do i solve the problem?/?
The WRP key is available to use on the MCP Express, right?

Please advise.

Thank you in advance
Val

Re: WRAP on MCP Express

<c2a93da4-d5e7-4c6c-aee5-b3ba92b69065n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39&group=comp.sys.unisys#39

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 19:02:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: WRAP on MCP Express
From: jaycee.lions@gmail.com (Val)
 by: Val - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 02:02 UTC

The usercode being used to WRAP is Secadmin-Sysadmin-PU (Just FYI)

I found this information from the manual:
If RESET, destination files that are considered hazardous are marked as restricted. (The MCP considers hazardous those files that have a FILEKIND integer value of 63 or less.) If SET, these destination files are marked unrestricted. A user must have the appropriate privileges to remove the restriction.

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:41:19 PM UTC-4, Val wrote:
> I am trying to WRAP files (Object) into a container, and it errors as "Hazardous files). I have tried to do a RESTRICT - FILE on the objects, and wrap - it still does not wrap but says Hazardous files
>
> How do i solve the problem?/?
> The WRP key is available to use on the MCP Express, right?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thank you in advance
> Val

Re: WRAP on MCP Express

<s9557f$ci4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40&group=comp.sys.unisys#40

From: paul.kimpel@digm.com (Paul Kimpel)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 04:21:17 -0700
 by: Paul Kimpel - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:21 UTC

On 5/31/2021 7:02 PM, Val wrote:
> The usercode being used to WRAP is Secadmin-Sysadmin-PU (Just FYI)
>
> I found this information from the manual:
> If RESET, destination files that are considered hazardous are marked as restricted. (The MCP considers hazardous those files that have a FILEKIND integer value of 63 or less.) If SET, these destination files are marked unrestricted. A user must have the appropriate privileges to remove the restriction.
>

> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:41:19 PM UTC-4, Val wrote:
>> I am trying to WRAP files (Object) into a container, and it errors as "Hazardous files). I have tried to do a RESTRICT - FILE on the objects, and wrap - it still does not wrap but says Hazardous files
>>
>> How do i solve the problem?/?
>> The WRP key is available to use on the MCP Express, right?
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> Thank you in advance
>> Val

WRAP and UNWRAP are available in MCP Express, but the ability to WRAP
certain types of files, including object files and DMSII DESCRIPTION
files, is inhibited. You can UNWRAP these types of files, subject to
them being marked as RESTRICTED by the UNWRAP, but you cannot WRAP them
in MCP Express.

I suspect there are two reasons for this. The first is that Unisys was
very concerned about MCP Express being used to develop malware for the
MCP, so disabling WRAP for object files takes away a very large attack
surface. The second is that MCP Express is specifically licensed to you
as an "education and hobbyist" environment, and they probably don't want
it cutting into the market for their for-cost development environments
like Developer Studio Personal Edition.

Sorry, there just isn't any convenient way to get things like object
files out of an MCP Express system. If you are trying to develop
software on XE and then move the code to a production MCP system, your
best bet is to export the source code and then recompile it at the
destination.

Paul

Re: WRAP on MCP Express

<5f45a217-9516-4555-a9bf-eaaf9805f793n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=41&group=comp.sys.unisys#41

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 09:23:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: ramseyle@gmail.com (ramseyhere)
 by: ramseyhere - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 16:23 UTC

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 7:21:20 AM UTC-4, Paul Kimpel wrote:
> On 5/31/2021 7:02 PM, Val wrote:
> > The usercode being used to WRAP is Secadmin-Sysadmin-PU (Just FYI)
> >
> > I found this information from the manual:
> > If RESET, destination files that are considered hazardous are marked as restricted. (The MCP considers hazardous those files that have a FILEKIND integer value of 63 or less.) If SET, these destination files are marked unrestricted. A user must have the appropriate privileges to remove the restriction.
> >

> > On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:41:19 PM UTC-4, Val wrote:
> >> I am trying to WRAP files (Object) into a container, and it errors as "Hazardous files). I have tried to do a RESTRICT - FILE on the objects, and wrap - it still does not wrap but says Hazardous files
> >>
> >> How do i solve the problem?/?
> >> The WRP key is available to use on the MCP Express, right?
> >>
> >> Please advise.
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance
> >> Val
> WRAP and UNWRAP are available in MCP Express, but the ability to WRAP
> certain types of files, including object files and DMSII DESCRIPTION
> files, is inhibited. You can UNWRAP these types of files, subject to
> them being marked as RESTRICTED by the UNWRAP, but you cannot WRAP them
> in MCP Express.
>
> I suspect there are two reasons for this. The first is that Unisys was
> very concerned about MCP Express being used to develop malware for the
> MCP, so disabling WRAP for object files takes away a very large attack
> surface. The second is that MCP Express is specifically licensed to you
> as an "education and hobbyist" environment, and they probably don't want
> it cutting into the market for their for-cost development environments
> like Developer Studio Personal Edition.
>
> Sorry, there just isn't any convenient way to get things like object
> files out of an MCP Express system. If you are trying to develop
> software on XE and then move the code to a production MCP system, your
> best bet is to export the source code and then recompile it at the
> destination.
>
> Paul
I'll give you an alternative way to get Object files out. Use Library Maintenance to create a "CD IMAGE" file:
COPY OBJECT/= TO MYOBJECTS(CD,CDCOPIES=0).
This will create a file called CDROMIMAGE/MYOBJECTS
This is an MCP ISO image. You can pull that out via MCP share or FTP.
Then install CopyWrtieNT from Metalogic (the free Windows component). This can convert the ISO file into a Container.
http://www.metalogic.eu.com/Main/Products/CopyWriteNT.html
Good luck.
May all your Halt/Loads be free of Deadstops.
ler

Re: WRAP on MCP Express

<75496cee-89de-4a03-a9fa-bd11661f08b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=42&group=comp.sys.unisys#42

Newsgroups: comp.sys.unisys
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 10:26:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: jaycee.lions@gmail.com (Val)
 by: Val - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 17:26 UTC

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 12:23:16 PM UTC-4, ramseyhere wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 7:21:20 AM UTC-4, Paul Kimpel wrote:
> > On 5/31/2021 7:02 PM, Val wrote:
> > > The usercode being used to WRAP is Secadmin-Sysadmin-PU (Just FYI)
> > >
> > > I found this information from the manual:
> > > If RESET, destination files that are considered hazardous are marked as restricted. (The MCP considers hazardous those files that have a FILEKIND integer value of 63 or less.) If SET, these destination files are marked unrestricted. A user must have the appropriate privileges to remove the restriction.

> > WRAP and UNWRAP are available in MCP Express, but the ability to WRAP
> > certain types of files, including object files and DMSII DESCRIPTION
> > files, is inhibited. You can UNWRAP these types of files, subject to
> > them being marked as RESTRICTED by the UNWRAP, but you cannot WRAP them
> > in MCP Express.
> >
> > I suspect there are two reasons for this. The first is that Unisys was
> > very concerned about MCP Express being used to develop malware for the
> > MCP, so disabling WRAP for object files takes away a very large attack
> > surface. The second is that MCP Express is specifically licensed to you
> > as an "education and hobbyist" environment, and they probably don't want
> > it cutting into the market for their for-cost development environments
> > like Developer Studio Personal Edition.
> >
> > Sorry, there just isn't any convenient way to get things like object
> > files out of an MCP Express system. If you are trying to develop
> > software on XE and then move the code to a production MCP system, your
> > best bet is to export the source code and then recompile it at the
> > destination.
> >
> > Paul
> I'll give you an alternative way to get Object files out. Use Library Maintenance to create a "CD IMAGE" file:
> COPY OBJECT/= TO MYOBJECTS(CD,CDCOPIES=0).
> This will create a file called CDROMIMAGE/MYOBJECTS
> This is an MCP ISO image. You can pull that out via MCP share or FTP.
> Then install CopyWrtieNT from Metalogic (the free Windows component). This can convert the ISO file into a Container.
> http://www.metalogic.eu.com/Main/Products/CopyWriteNT.html
> Good luck.
> May all your Halt/Loads be free of Deadstops.
> ler

Thank you Paul, and Larry for the feedback/advise.