From: youkidding@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Signal strength of PC wi-fi antenna at router
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:58:56 -0400
 by: YK - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:58 UTC

In a normal house setup the wi-fi router acts as the access point
and the antenna on the laptop or desktop picks up the access point.

If I sit at the laptop or PC (far from the wi-fi router) I can use an app on
the phone to pick up the signal strength of that wi-fi router access point.

But how do I pick up the signal the other way around?

If I sit at the router (far from the laptop or desktop) when I open the app
to tell me signal strength, it only tells me the signal strength of the
wi-fi access point.

It doesn't tell me the signal strength arriving at the router which came out
of the antenna on the laptop or desktop (far away).

How do I measure THAT signal strength?

Re: Signal strength of PC wi-fi antenna at router

<60c31f21$0$22693$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=41&group=alt.internet.wireless#41

From: mcarels@xs4all.nl (Maarten Carels)
Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Re: Signal strength of PC wi-fi antenna at router
Date: 11 Jun 2021 08:30:25 GMT
 by: Maarten Carels - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:30 UTC

On Jun 10, 2021 at 19:58:56 GMT+2, "YK" <youkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In a normal house setup the wi-fi router acts as the access point
> and the antenna on the laptop or desktop picks up the access point.
>
> If I sit at the laptop or PC (far from the wi-fi router) I can use an app on
> the phone to pick up the signal strength of that wi-fi router access point.
>
> But how do I pick up the signal the other way around?
>
> If I sit at the router (far from the laptop or desktop) when I open the app
> to tell me signal strength, it only tells me the signal strength of the
> wi-fi access point.
>
> It doesn't tell me the signal strength arriving at the router which came out
> of the antenna on the laptop or desktop (far away).
>
> How do I measure THAT signal strength?

At the router. Sometimes the router can display such information in it's GUI,
depending on the router.
AVM Fritz!Box routers can.

--maarten

Re: Signal strength of PC wi-fi antenna at router

<60c32b0c$0$22687$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=42&group=alt.internet.wireless#42

From: mcarels@xs4all.nl (Maarten Carels)
Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless
Date: 11 Jun 2021 09:21:16 GMT
 by: Maarten Carels - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:21 UTC

On Jun 11, 2021 at 10:30:25 GMT+2, "Maarten Carels" <mcarels@xs4all.nl>
wrote:
[...]
> At the router. Sometimes the router can display such information in it's GUI,
> depending on the router.
> AVM Fritz!Box routers can.

Something like this:
Wi-Fi properties (5 GHz)
Signal strength -67dBm
Max. data rate possible 1300 / 1300 Mbit/s
Current throughput 1170 / 1300 Mbit/s
Wi-Fi standard Wi-Fi ac / Wi-Fi 5
Frequency band 5 GHz
Channel bandwidth 80 MHz
Streams 3 x 3
Wi-Fi properties
Encryption WPA2
Signal properties STBC, LDPC, Supports dual-band operation
Quality of Service (QoS) WMM
Repeater operation no

--maarten