If it smells it's chemistry, if it crawls it's biology, if it doesn't work it's physics.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware / Re: Video: 1990s Auto and Service Parts Shop Time Capsule

SubjectAuthor
* EOS memory reliability and technology advantagesLouis Ohland
`* Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantagesPertti Helander
 `* Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantagesLouis Ohland
  +- Oopsie! Add Lacuna! Re: EOS memory reliability and technologyLouis Ohland
  +* Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantagesPertti Helander
  |`- Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantagesLouis Ohland
  `* Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantagesJames Hall
   `* Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantagesLouis Ohland
    +* Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantageslharr...@gmail.com
    |+- Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantagesLouis Ohland
    |+- Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantagesLouis Ohland
    |+* Video: 1990s Auto and Service Parts Shop Time CapsuleTomas Slavotinek
    ||`* Re: Video: 1990s Auto and Service Parts Shop Time CapsuleLouis Ohland
    || +- Re: Video: 1990s Auto and Service Parts Shop Time Capsuleschimmi
    || `- Re: Video: 1990s Auto and Service Parts Shop Time CapsuleRickE
    |`- Re: Monitoring MCA and PCI I/O windowRyan Alswede
    `* ALTERA Micro Channel Adapter Design Handbook Sept 1988Louis Ohland
     `- Re: ALTERA Micro Channel Adapter Design Handbook Sept 1988Ryan Alswede

1
EOS memory reliability and technology advantages

<u058eu$5lr$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3361&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3361

From: ohland@charter.net (Louis Ohland)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: EOS memory reliability and technology advantages
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 19:11:20 -0500
 by: Louis Ohland - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 00:11 UTC

https://web.archive.org/web/19961219045007/http://www.pc.ibm.com/techlink/f960105a.html

Date: 96/01/05

1) EOS does ECC on a byte boundary, so at any given address, EOS is
capable of fixing EIGHT!!! single-bit errors at a time (remember that
for an 8-byte interface, EOS must be used in pairs, hence 8 errors). A
Compaq Prosignia 300/Proliant 1500 does standard ECC on an 8-byte
boundary and can correct only 1 bit per address. A Compaq Proliant
2000/4000 uses "advanced" ECC which is done across 16 bytes. Using this
wide ECC word, they can correct any given bad 4-bit DRAM, or 4 bits/16
bytes (2 bits/8 bytes). In marketing lingo, this translates to EOS being
4X more powerful an ECC scheme!!! How-ever, that is really stretching
things ;-) Note that "advanced" ECC requires SIMMs to be plugged in
sets of 4 instead of set of 2.

2) Performance can be better with EOS. Native ECC has to pay a several
cycle performance hit any time a word less than the bus width (8
bytes/16 bytes) gets written. Much attention can be paid to minimize
this effect with posted-write buffers, but the final impact can range
from near 0% to 20%, depending on the code being run (lots of byte
writes) and the cleverness of the implementation (byte-write gathering
scheme). I have never attempted to see if native ECC running X-2-2-2
with 60ns EDO is better than EOS at 70ns with no byte writes...perhaps
we should call that case a draw.

3) Per the above mentioned presentation, upwards of 95% of all memory
errors are caused by soft errors. A rule of thumb I use is 1 soft error
per month per 256MB of memory. Because of this, one could argue that
having an error reporting scheme is counterproductive. The customer will
see these soft errors periodically and think his memory should be
changed, while in fact the fails are unavoidable (unless you're 50 feet
underground) and should be ignored. Having good error reporting was
actually a major thorn in the side of our S/390 brethren because the
customer could tell whenever a soft error was occurring, but their
competitors did not have good reporting in their boxes, so they seemed
to be better off! I don't know how you argue this one with the
customer...good luck!

4) EOS is a much more flexible solution. If today's mission critical
department server becomes tomorrow's uncritical print server, the EOS
memory can be swapped out for regular parity SIMMs and the ECC function
can be moved to another machine that may not have native ECC. This
flexibility of moving the ECC via EOS to the machines that need it could
be a powerful argument for a smart IS group supporting a large
enterprise with many PCs.

5) EOS is, in a sense, much more highly redundant than native ECC. If
the ECC algorithm in a native ECC memory controller goes bad, then all
of the memory goes bad. If the circuitry in one of the distributed ECC
chips on the EOS SIMMs goes bad, only one byte of one SIMM goes bad, and
the OS has a chance of deallocating that memory and marching forward.

Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantages

<3be3561c-4c58-4822-9202-0d01b9f85593n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3362&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3362

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 01:43:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: pertti.helander@pp.nic.fi (Pertti Helander)
 by: Pertti Helander - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 08:43 UTC

perjantai 31. maaliskuuta 2023 klo 3.11.12 UTC+3 Louis Ohland kirjoitti:
> [...]
> customer...good luck!
>
> 4) EOS is a much more flexible solution. If today's mission critical
> department server becomes tomorrow's uncritical print server, the EOS
> memory can be swapped out for regular parity SIMMs and the ECC function
> can be moved to another machine that may not have native ECC. This
> flexibility of moving the ECC via EOS to the machines that need it could
> be a powerful argument for a smart IS group supporting a large
> enterprise with many PCs.
>
> 5) EOS is, in a sense, much more highly redundant than native ECC. If
> the ECC algorithm in a native ECC memory controller goes bad, then all
> of the memory goes bad. If the circuitry in one of the distributed ECC
> chips on the EOS SIMMs goes bad, only one byte of one SIMM goes bad, and
> the OS has a chance of deallocating that memory and marching forward.
I have two 16 Mb 70ns 5v EOS Simms. Has these any use for PS/2 PCs?
My 9557 accepts only total 16 MB of memory and one simm sice is max 8 MB but how about 8595 or others?

Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantages

<u06cb1$10pu$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3363&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3363

From: ohland@charter.net (Louis Ohland)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 05:23:40 -0500
 by: Louis Ohland - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:23 UTC

Nice that someone is awake.

Buzzkill, the EOS reports itself as parity, so the system in question
has to support 16MB parity SIMMs.

9585 -X or -K/N

4MB and 8MB EOS are supported by all PS/2s, as their size is supported.

The IBM ECC-on-SIMM (EOS) part numbers are
11H0618 (8MB)
11H0621 (16MB)
11H0624 (32MB)

Lead composition:

11D - Tin
11E - Gold

ECC controller on EOS is 73G6876.
These are a sea of gates, not a specific ASIC

Toshiba TC160G11AT
AMI 6553-013

https://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/5/897/ENUS195-075/index.html&request_locale=en

Options by IBM: IBM ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrades
Announcement Number: 195-075

Normal Height: 26.4mm
Tall Height: 41.7mm
Wide Width: 14.2mm
Normal Width: 10.1mm

| o SEC high-speed ECC algorithm |
| o 70ns (x36 bits) 72-pin JEDEC standard SIMM |
| o IBM or industry standard presence detects, gold tabs |
| o Fit in standard x36 SIMM socket |
| o No processor changes required |
| |
| o 4MB (Wide) 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade: |
| - Selected PS/2(R) and IBM PC Server 300 and 320 systems |
| |
| o 8MB (Wide) 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade: |
| - Selected PS/2 systems |
| |
| o 8MB (Tall), 16MB, and 32MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrades: |
| - IBM PC Server 300 and 320 systems |

The following memory options complement the Options by IBM family of
offerings:

4MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade
8MB (Wide) 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade
8MB (Tall) 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade
16MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade
32MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade

The IBM ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrades offer 4MB, 8MB, 16MB and 32MB of
error-correcting-code (ECC) memory on a SIMM. This upgrade family -- a
plug-compatible, fully retrofittable series of 70ns memory modules --

allows you to upgrade a parity system to a fully functional
single-error-correct (SEC) ECC system. The ECC function is completely
self-contained on the SIMM and provides correction of single-bit errors that

occur in each byte of SIMM data. No processor changes are required to
receive the enhanced reliability this SIMM family offers.

The ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrades are organized as x36 bits, support
parity, and are packaged on a 72-pin JEDEC (Joint Electronic Device
Engineering Council) standard SIMM with gold tabs. The 4MB SIMM has IBM

presence detects, while the 8MB (Tall and Wide), 16MB and 32MB SIMMs
have industry standard presence detects.

Use of the ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrades is recommended when processing
critical applications on systems without native ECC. Enhanced data
integrity and memory reliability are provided with no system performance

penalty. The upgrades are extremely important in server environments
where single-bit memory errors can impact all users on the network.

Part Availability Unit
Description Number Date Price

4MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM 75G6500
8MB (Wide) 70ns ECC-on-SIMM 75G6501
8MB (Tall) 70ns ECC-on-SIMM 11H0618
16MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM 11H0621
32MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM 11H0624

IBM 4MB 70NS ECC-ON-SIMM MEMORY UPGRADE (#1500, 75G6500)

The 4MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade module is organized as 1M x 36,
supports parity, and is packaged on a 72-pin JEDEC standard SIMM with
gold tabs and IBM presence detects.

Technical Information

Physical Specifications

Dimensions:
Height: 26.4 mm (1.04 in.)
Width: 108 mm (4.25 in.)
Depth: 10.1 mm (0.4 in.)
Weight: .025kg (0.055 lb)

Operating Environment

Temperature: 0(degs)C to 65(degs)C (32(degs)F to 149(degs)F)
Relative humidity: 8% to 80%
Wet bulb: 23(degs)C (73(degs)F)
Electrical power: 1620 mA max

Hardware Requirements: The 4BM 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade (#1500,
75G6500) is supported on the following IBM platforms:

Machine
Description Type Model

PS/2 8525 K00, K01, L02
8535 040, 043, 050, 055,
14X, 24X
8540 040, 043, 045
8556 043, 045, 055, 059,
14X, 15X, 24X, 25X
8557 045, 049, 055, 059,
05F, 259
8590(1) 0J5, 0J9, 0JD, 0JF,
0K9, 0KD, 0KF, 0GF,
0G5, 0G9, 0HF, 0H5, 0H9,
0L9, 0LF
8595(1) 0J9, 0JD, 0JF, 0KD,
0KF, 0G5, 0G9, 0GF,
0H5, 0H9, 0HF, 0L9,
0LF, 0X6, 0XA, 0XF,
0XG
9553 0B7, 0BB, 1BX, 2BX
9556 DBA, DB6, DEB, DED,
DE9, KBA, KB6, QBA,
QB6, 0BA, 0B6, 1EX, 2EX
9557 DBA, DBG, DB6, DEB,
DED, DEG, DE9, KBA,
KBG, KB6, QBA, QB6,
0BA, 0B6, 1BA, 2BA,
6EB, 6EG, 7EB, 7EG
9576 DUA,DU6, KUA, KU6,
QUA, QU6, 0UA, 0U6
9577 DNA, DNG, DUA, DUG,
KNA, KNG, KUA, KUG
QBA, QB6, QNA, QUA,
0NA, 0NF, 0UA, 0UF,
1NA, 1UA,
9585(1) 0X6, 0XA, 0XF, 0XG,
0KG, 0KT, 0NG, 0NT
9590(1) DLA, 0LA, QLA, KLA,
0LF, DLG, KLG
9595(1) 0LF, 0LG

PC Server 8640(1) 0N0, 0NJ, 0P0, 0PT,
0Y0, 0YT, 1Y0, 1YT

(1) These systems must be upgraded with sets of two 75G6500
upgrades.

Limitations

Parity memory cannot coexist with the 4MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory
Upgrade in the same system.
8590, 8595, 9590, and 9595 models with native ECC (xMx,1Nx, xPx,
xQx, xTx, xVx) are not supported.

IBM 8MB (WIDE) 70NS ECC-ON-SIMM MEMORY UPGRADE (#6501, 675G6501)

The 8MB (Wide) 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade module is organized as 2M
x 36, supports parity, and is packaged on a 72-pin JEDEC standard SIMM
with gold tabs and industry standard presence detects.

Technical Information

Physical Specifications

Dimensions:
Height: 26.4 mm (1.04 in.)
Width: 108 mm (4.25 in.)
Depth: 14.2 mm (0.56 in.)
Weight: .041 kg (0.09 lb)

Operating Environment

Temperature: 0(degs)C to 65(degs)C (32(degs)F to 149(degs)F)
Relative humidity: 8% to 80%
Wet bulb: 23(degs)C (73(degs)F)
Electrical power: 1656 mA max

Hardware Requirements: The 8MB (Wide) 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade
(#6501, 675G6501) is supported on the following IBM platforms:

Machine
Description Type Model

PS/2 8556 043, 045, 055, 059,
14X, 15X, 24X, 25X
8557 045, 049, 055, 059,
05F, 259
8590(1) 0J5, 0J9, 0JD, 0JF,
0K9, 0KD, 0KF, 0G5,
0G9, 0GF, 0H5, 0H9,
0HF, 0L9, 0LF
8595(1) 0J9, 0JD, 0JF, 0KD,
0KF, 0G5, 0G9, 0GF,
0H5, 0H9, 0HF, 0L9,
0LF, 0X6, 0XA, 0XF,
0XG
9556 DBA, DB6, DEB, DED,
DE9, KBA, KB6, QBA,
QB6, 0BA, 0B6, 1EX,
2EX
9557 DBA, DBG, DB6, DEB,
DED, DEG, DE9, KBA,
KBG, KB6, QBA, QB6,
0BA, 0B6, 1BA, 2BA,
6EB, 6EG, 7EB, 7EG
9576 DUA, DU6, KUA, KU6,
QUA, QU6, 0UA, 0U6
9577 DNA, DNG, DUA, DUG,
KNA, KNG, KUA, KUG,
QBA, QB6, QNA, QUA,
0NA, 0NF,0UA, 0UF,
1NA, 1UA
9585(1) 0X6, 0XA, 0XF, 0XG,
0KG, 0KT, 0NG, 0NT
9590(1) DLA, 0LA, QLA, KLA,
0LF, DLG, KLG
9595(1) 0LF, 0LG

Click here to read the complete article
Oopsie! Add Lacuna! Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantages

<u06cob$10u3$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3364&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3364

From: ohland@charter.net (Louis Ohland)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: Oopsie! Add Lacuna! Re: EOS memory reliability and technology
advantages
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 05:30:47 -0500
 by: Louis Ohland - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:30 UTC

Lacuna also supports 16MB parity.

<cfc36512-d72d-4da5-9443-7b8bb9a2c2b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3365&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3365

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 03:36:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: pertti.helander@pp.nic.fi (Pertti Helander)
 by: Pertti Helander - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:36 UTC

perjantai 31. maaliskuuta 2023 klo 13.23.31 UTC+3 Louis Ohland kirjoitti:
> [...]
>
> Technical Information
>
> Physical Specifications
>
> Width: 108 mm (4.25 in.)
> Depth: 10.1 mm (0.40 in.)
> Length: 41.7 mm (1.64 in.)
> Weight: .039 kg (0.09 lb)
>
> Operating Environment
>
> Temperature: 0(degs)C to 65(degs)C (32(degs)F to 149(degs)F)
> Relative humidity: 8% to 80%
> Wet bulb: 23(degs)C (73(degs)F)
> Electrical power: 1464 mA max
>

> Hardware Requirements: The 32MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM Memory Upgrade is
> supported on the following IBM platforms:
>
> Machine
> Description Type Model
>

> PC Server 8640(1) 0N0, ONJ, 0P0, 0PT, 0Y0,
> 0YT, 1Y0, 1YT
>
> (1) These systems must be upgraded with sets of two 11H0624 upgrades.
>
> Limitations: Parity SIMMs cannot coexist with the 32MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM
So mine two 11H0621 has only use in PC Server 8640 that I don´t have.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantages

<u06diu$11ig$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3366&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3366

From: ohland@charter.net (Louis Ohland)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 05:44:58 -0500
 by: Louis Ohland - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 10:44 UTC

The size is the issue. Most PS/2s do not support 16MB FPM.

9585-xXx, 9585-K/N, Lacuna

Pertti Helander wrote:
> So mine two 11H0621 has only use in PC Server 8640 that I don´t have.

Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantages

<4907f614-a972-405f-8f99-48b2a3a99f4dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3367&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3367

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 06:27:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbhall55@gmail.com (James Hall)
 by: James Hall - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 13:27 UTC

<u06nfh$18le$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3368&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3368

From: ohland@charter.net (Louis Ohland)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 08:33:48 -0500
 by: Louis Ohland - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 13:33 UTC

The quiet ones are the dangerous ones.

Don't want to be TOO quiet...

James Hall wrote:
> I'm awake. Just being quiet.

Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantages

<6ef7998a-64bd-471c-99b6-c36c186bc42an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3416&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3416

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 19:14:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: lharris428@gmail.com (lharr...@gmail.com)
 by: lharr...@gmail.com - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 02:14 UTC

On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 9:33:38 AM UTC-4, Louis Ohland wrote:
> The quiet ones are the dangerous ones.
>
> Don't want to be TOO quiet...
> James Hall wrote:
> > I'm awake. Just being quiet.
Any reason why 11H0621/11H0622 would hang in a Reply TurboProcessor 80? The system boots but eventually hangs.

Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantages

<u1nocl$1ffb$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3417&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3417

From: ohland@charter.net (Louis Ohland)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 22:50:02 -0500
 by: Louis Ohland - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 03:50 UTC

No idea. Does the system boot normally with FPM?

lharr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Any reason why 11H0621/11H0622 would hang in a Reply TurboProcessor 80? The system boots but eventually hangs.

Re: EOS memory reliability and technology advantages

<u1ot2n$2b9e$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3418&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#3418

From: ohland@charter.net (Louis Ohland)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 09:16:14 -0500
 by: Louis Ohland - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:16 UTC

PC Server 8640(1) 0N0, ONJ, 0P0, 0PT, 0Y0,
0YT, 1Y0, 1YT

(1) These systems must be upgraded with sets of two 11H0621 upgrades.

Limitations: Parity SIMMs cannot coexist with the 16MB 70ns ECC-on-SIMM
Memory Upgrade in the same system.

OK, coffee injection to War Power settings... rammed the throttle
through the seals....

The 4MB and 8MB EoS are marketed for the PS/2. the 16MB are not. Why?
Dunno. Only the Lacuna, 85X and 85K can handle 16MB FPM, and therefore,
the 16MB EoS.

Standard 4MB of RAM, expandable to 128MB

Reply offers 2MB, 4MB, 8MB, and 16MB memory module option kits. You must
install the modules in pairs (two modules for each bank). Modules in
different banks do not need to be of the same density, however, ECC and
Parity memory modules cannot be installed on the same Reply system
board. Memory modules are not required to be installed in any specific
bank order.

4MB on-board | 128MB = Maximum
Type 2, 4, 8, 16MB memory modules types are supported:
“Industry standard" x 36 parity, 72-pin SIMMs
“IBM Proprietary" x 36 parity, 72-pin SIMMs
“Industry standard" x 40 ECC, 72-pin SIMMs
(For maximum performance, 70nS recommended)

ECC looks odd, typo? PS/2 ECC x39. RS/6000 x40.

https://www.ardent-tool.com/Reply/Turbo_60_80_Manual.pdf

Physical page 39. Reply has two SIMM sockets next to each other as a
"Bank", while IBM had arrangements where [at least on the 95] "A" bank
and "B" bank are grouped together.

Whatever, Reply has "Bank 1", analogous to A1/B1, "Bank 2" analogous to
A2/B2, usw...

If you are wandting to try EoS, fill one bank with a matched pair of
EoS. EoS CANNOT be used in the same bank as FPM because you need two EoS
to generate the ECC.

Now as to the next question, I dunno. Can EoS banks and FPM banks exist
in the same system?

Try it, I will trumpet your success or commiserate with your failure...

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4171&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#4171

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 19:14:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: lharris428@gmail.com (lharr...@gmail.com)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:05:20 -0700 (PDT)
<ea6af368-5770-420c-afbc-4706658a4423n@googlegroups.com> <u1pgeo$2pnu$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>
<92d7cb5b-c3e2-4441-ac2d-df825c4b7618n@googlegroups.com> <u1pluu$2trq$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>
<u1q3io$8c7$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com> <u1rhmv$1ekd$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>
Subject: Re: A miss is as good as a mile Re: Did you READ it? Re: IBM Single
Chip SCSI Subsystem page
From: schimmi <stefan.lemanski@gmail.com>

Guess there was only one CPU made for this - the DX50. On my old 486/VLB setup I always had problems even with 40MHz/VLB using more than just the graphics adapter. On a 3-slot VLB Board you had one busmastering and accordingly 2 secondary slots you had to address using more than one card, especially with a SCSI/IO-Cards. With all three VLB slots filled, it was some kind of a gamble if the system was stable, even with 40MHz :-/ VLB was very card-dependant.

From: Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: Parallel realities
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 11:57:52 -0500

Foundt a few parallel port patents

More l8ter. The same presentation style as with the SCS page.
From: Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: Little Boy Blue! Report!
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 22:00:47 -0500

Ryan, update us on Azure SCSI.
From: Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: Re: Using Jaz Traveller with non-Iomega drives
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 23:03:59 -0500

Don't need the traveller function, I'd like to use a SD card reader on it.

From: moussa <devol95@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 11:39:25 +0800

On 29/4/23 12:03, Louis Ohland wrote:
> Don't need the traveller function, I'd like to use a SD card reader on it.
>
>> SCSI to Parallel is what you have ATM with the traveller
>>
>> SCSI to IDE
>> SCSI to SATA
>> SCSI to USB ??
>>
>> anyway , you get the point, you be eliminating the traveller function.

3rd time the charm

You are better of with CF media/devices, the common ASIC used has a poor
transfer rate in those SD adaptors coming from the east.

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4172&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#4172

From: ohland@charter.net (Louis Ohland)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 22:50:02 -0500

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:30:59 -0700 (PDT)
<ea6af368-5770-420c-afbc-4706658a4423n@googlegroups.com> <u1pgeo$2pnu$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>
<92d7cb5b-c3e2-4441-ac2d-df825c4b7618n@googlegroups.com> <u1pluu$2trq$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>
<u1q3io$8c7$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>
<u1rhmv$1ekd$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com> <16c57455-2354-4fdd-80c8-5541ad68b3fan@googlegroups.com>
Chip SCSI Subsystem page
From: schimmi <stefan.lemanski@gmail.com>

I'm a bit off here, sorry. The question I now have in mind is: is SCSI betw=
een CPU and MCA better than SCSI on MCA, nicely packed between all other MC=
A-devices, on one bus? I mean, local bus operations should impact MCA trans=
actions and vice versa, probably affecting the overall performance Oo

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 11:37:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Looking for MCA Sound card to buy
From: Ryan Alswede <ryanalswede@gmail.com>

What are the ratings on the reproduction sound cards? Like my understanding is the Resound New Wave reproduction card on eBay is only rated for 8 bit mono stereo or something.

Ultimedia 7-6 was 16 bit which I got working under NT years ago...

I have M-ACPA that worked in Windows 98SE which I believe is a 16 bit card?

Ryan

.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 00:58:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Running Man Re: Buying a IBM PS/2 Model 9595-AHA - SN:55-1A9Z6
From: Carsten Lyng <askevej37a@gmail.com>

torsdag den 27. april 2023 kl. 04.55.36 UTC+2 skrev Louis Ohland:
> What flavor of OS will you be looking at installing on this 95?

Hi Louis and Pertti,

Thanks for all the info on the machine, I can see that there are some things I have to checkout
before "maybe" making a purchase :-)

I will get some more details about he machine from the seller
I have only got this picrure off the machine... you can see it here.: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dBXmlRLZ_GIJYHU9oYTAwM-BDjwcsVcz?usp=sharing

The seller writes.: It is very heavy, and is not going to be shipped - you have to make a local picup :-)
The machine was working, when it was put in storage some years ago - it can be tested upon purchase.
but you have to carry it up to my flat first :-))

.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 01:19:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Installed parts
From: Carsten Lyng <askevej37a@gmail.com>

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4173&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#4173

From: ohland@charter.net (Louis Ohland)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 09:16:14 -0500

From: Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: All that Schimmis is not gold.
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:37:13 -0500
<92d7cb5b-c3e2-4441-ac2d-df825c4b7618n@googlegroups.com>
<u1pluu$2trq$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>
<u1q3io$8c7$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>
<u1rhmv$1ekd$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>
<16c57455-2354-4fdd-80c8-5541ad68b3fan@googlegroups.com>
<6398d445-7440-45b1-ac57-c99fb733eff9n@googlegroups.com>

Sorry, we don't have a full busmaster local bus implementation to
compare to. The 56 SCS is a cost reduced implementation, at some point,
the CPU has to step in to emulate the missing functionality.

So trying to compare a true SCSI busmaster, that can perform all SCSI
control tasks without CPU involvement, to a cost reduced single SCSI
chip, is unwarranted.

So, IBM chose to have a reduced functionality SCSI Control Chip on the
CPU local bus, as long as the system isn't heavily multi-tasked, you
probably wouldn't notice the difference.

From: Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: NCC-8570A crashes? Re: Scotty! We need LESS power NOW! [20MHz
8570-Axx?]
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 07:34:27 -0500

Caffeine injection system must be lagging.

85nS for 20MHz CPU
80nS for 25MHz CPU

8570A is hard coded to 2MB 80nS SIMMs.

MAJ Tom, will we damage the Dilithium crystals in the NCC-8570A by
down-clocking the 386 Power Platform to 20MHz? System is plodding around
at 20MHz, will it be able to use the faster memory successfully? If we
stoke up the boilers with 80nS, the BIOS will accept it, but will the
memory controller be able to give us warp power with a clock 20% slower?

Too fast to live, too young to die...

.
Click here to read the complete article

Re: ALTERA Micro Channel Adapter Design Handbook Sept 1988

<8006af6c-c2fd-4246-a437-2f9022a2997fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4179&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#4179

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 13:12:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: ALTERA Micro Channel Adapter Design Handbook Sept 1988
From: ryanalswede@gmail.com (Ryan Alswede)
 by: Ryan Alswede - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 21:12 UTC

> Here it is, I misplaced my copy...
Good stuff!!! has a C example of DMA transfer on MCA.

Re: Video: 1990s Auto and Service Parts Shop Time Capsule

<uipiin$1dpp$1@842ffb22-07e1-11e5-a459-00266cf00584.csiph.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4183&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#4183

From: ohland@charter.net (Louis Ohland)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Subject: Re: Video: 1990s Auto and Service Parts Shop Time Capsule
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 21:59:49 -0600
 by: Louis Ohland - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 03:59 UTC

Whatever the server is, it has a red power switch and some sort of a
tape drive. Probably floppy, my SWAG is this box has MFM drives.

See the pile of tapes in the alcove in the desk?

Tomas Slavotinek wrote:
> https://youtu.be/zI0zfIiYKO0
>
> Wow, time capsule indeed! A couple of 25s and a 60 (or 80?) as a server...

Re: Video: 1990s Auto and Service Parts Shop Time Capsule

<bb60f0a8-a945-4a3b-92fc-a639ed34df54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4184&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#4184

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 11:43:46 -0800 (PST)
From: stefan.lemanski@gmail.com (schimmi)
 by: schimmi - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 19:43 UTC

Louis Ohland schrieb am Sonntag, 12. November 2023 um 04:59:21 UTC+1:
> Whatever the server is, it has a red power switch and some sort of a
> tape drive. Probably floppy, my SWAG is this box has MFM drives.
>
> See the pile of tapes in the alcove in the desk?
> Tomas Slavotinek wrote:
> > https://youtu.be/zI0zfIiYKO0
> >
> > Wow, time capsule indeed! A couple of 25s and a 60 (or 80?) as a server...
Looks a bit too expensive for a small business like this. PS/2 Workstations, a PS/2-Server an Novell Netware Oo
But interesting to see such a capsule, indeed, Tomas :)

Re: Video: 1990s Auto and Service Parts Shop Time Capsule

<51eabee3-f0de-4827-aa8f-65ebc74a0d1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4185&group=comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware#4185

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 18:44:56 -0800 (PST)
From: ekblaw@vnet.ibm.com (RickE)
 by: RickE - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 02:44 UTC

On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 10:59:21 PM UTC-5, Louis Ohland wrote:
> Whatever the server is, it has a red power switch and some sort of a
> tape drive. Probably floppy, my SWAG is this box has MFM drives.
>
> See the pile of tapes in the alcove in the desk?

Yes, QIC (Quarter Inch Cartridge) tapes, probably low density where you'd get 40-60MB on each tape depending on how much compression is involved in the backup. There were a number of 16-bit Microchannel QIC adapters on the market. I would have liked to see which model of Tek scope was on the floor.. I'm guessing that the 8525s only had the floppy drive to keep the system cost "reasonable".

Rick