From: me@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Android/iPad/Agent communication
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 09:53:00 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Thu, 26 May 2022 08:53 UTC

iPad's Mail program:
--------------------
I imagine you'll be exhausted. A long day. In fact, as it's 11:20 your
time I expect you're in bed by now. That's where I'm going too in a
minute.
--------------------

In the subsequent reply that quoted section looked like this in Agent:
--------------------
> I imagine you=E2=80=99ll be exhausted. A long day. In fact, as it=E2=80=
=99s 11:20 pm your
> time I expect you=E2=80=99re in bed by now. That=E2=80=99s where I=E2=80=
=99m going too in a minute.
--------------------

Q1: Does the problem with special characters arise principally in the
iPad, Android or Agent?

Q2: Before opening such emails in my browser, is there any Agent
setting that would improve its readability?

Terry

Re: Android/iPad/Agent communication

<bj7v8hl6hg5mj0lkpgenru5d6g6jvu8q7v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4186&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4186

From: wlfraed@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Android/iPad/Agent communication
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 11:44:52 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Thu, 26 May 2022 15:44 UTC

On Thu, 26 May 2022 09:53:00 +0100, Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>
declaimed the following:

>iPad's Mail program:
>--------------------
>I imagine you'll be exhausted. A long day. In fact, as it's 11:20 your
>time I expect you're in bed by now. That's where I'm going too in a
>minute.
>--------------------
>
>In the subsequent reply that quoted section looked like this in Agent:
>--------------------
>> I imagine you=E2=80=99ll be exhausted. A long day. In fact, as it=E2=80=
>=99s 11:20 pm your
>> time I expect you=E2=80=99re in bed by now. That=E2=80=99s where I=E2=80=
>=99m going too in a minute.
>--------------------

That's a quoted printable encoding of the non-ASCII (non ISO-Latin-1)
characters.

The problem is that your iPad is changing the ' into a "smart single
right apostrophe". It likely is doing similar stuff for " into left/right
quotes.

>Q2: Before opening such emails in my browser, is there any Agent
>setting that would improve its readability?

Tools/Options/Languages MIGHT help

Unfortunately, for /sending/ and composing you are stuck with Windows
codepages -- which are all 8-bit character sets, even though you can
specify a mode that moves up from 7-bit ASCII, 8-bit ISO, and ends with
UTF8, but I don't know how you'd enter such.

Try setting the default set to UTF8 -- that may help viewing.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Android/iPad/Agent communication

<puev8hpbks9jg8t6n2u0md0agdfpk01ggk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4187&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4187

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 05:52:49 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 26 May 2022 17:52 UTC

On Thu, 26 May 2022 09:53:00 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> iPad's Mail program:
> --------------------
> I imagine you'll be exhausted. A long day. In fact, as it's 11:20 your
> time I expect you're in bed by now. That's where I'm going too in a
> minute.
> --------------------
>
> In the subsequent reply that quoted section looked like this in Agent:
> --------------------
> > I imagine you=E2=80=99ll be exhausted. A long day. In fact, as it=E2=80=
> =99s 11:20 pm your
> > time I expect you=E2=80=99re in bed by now. That=E2=80=99s where I=E2=80=
> =99m going too in a minute.
> --------------------
>
> Q1: Does the problem with special characters arise principally in the
> iPad, Android or Agent?
>
> Q2: Before opening such emails in my browser, is there any Agent
> setting that would improve its readability?

Before you do anything else, go back to that post and make sure
that "View >> Display as Raw Message" is turned OFF.

If that doesn't work, see:

1) This entry in Forté's Agent FAQ:
"Why do I see "=" or "=20" signs at the end of many lines in received messages?"
<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#EFFC9EA52494428D85256C7A001EDDEE>

2) This thread in auorfa
<https://alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.narkive.com/htOd777z/origin-of-this>
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/AsrkcuWu244>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ὁ βίος βραχύς, ἡ δὲ τέχνη μακρή
𝐕𝐢𝐭𝐚 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐬, 𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐚
𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑙𝑦𝑓 𝑠𝑜 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑟𝑡, 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑐𝑟𝑎𝑓𝑡 𝑠𝑜 𝑙𝑜𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑙𝑒𝑟𝑛𝑒

Re: Android/iPad/Agent communication

<c4c19h5uet6he9dg5muqskpnhs1hlvj1qa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4189&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4189

From: me@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 12:17:16 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Fri, 27 May 2022 11:17 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 May 2022 09:53:00 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

>> iPad's Mail program:
>> --------------------
>> I imagine you'll be exhausted. A long day. In fact, as it's 11:20 your
>> time I expect you're in bed by now. That's where I'm going too in a
>> minute.
>> --------------------
>>
>> In the subsequent reply that quoted section looked like this in Agent:
>> --------------------
>> > I imagine you=E2=80=99ll be exhausted. A long day. In fact, as it=E2=80=
>> =99s 11:20 pm your
>> > time I expect you=E2=80=99re in bed by now. That=E2=80=99s where I=E2=80=
>> =99m going too in a minute.
>> --------------------
>>
>> Q1: Does the problem with special characters arise principally in the
>> iPad, Android or Agent?
>>
>> Q2: Before opening such emails in my browser, is there any Agent
>> setting that would improve its readability?
>

>Before you do anything else, go back to that post and make sure
>that "View >> Display as Raw Message" is turned OFF.
>
>If that doesn't work, see:
>
> 1) This entry in Forté's Agent FAQ:
> "Why do I see "=" or "=20" signs at the end of many lines in received messages?"
> <https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#EFFC9EA52494428D85256C7A001EDDEE>
>
> 2) This thread in auorfa
> <https://alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.narkive.com/htOd777z/origin-of-this>
> <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/AsrkcuWu244>

Ralph, Dennis,

Thanks both.

This has occurred before so I should have remembered to do as Ralph
has reminded me. Somehow "View >> Display as Raw Message" has enabled
itself without my permission.

That also answers the issue I raised in my email earlier this morning.

Terry

Re: Android/iPad/Agent communication

<ejn39hl8n92j10q4n8sircnhtbopgm9amu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4191&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4191

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 20:41:15 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 28 May 2022 08:41 UTC

On Fri, 27 May 2022 12:17:16 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Somehow "View >> Display as Raw Message" has enabled
> itself without my permission.

The most common cause is inadvertently pressing Ctrl+R.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Swa fulre fæt, swa hit mann sceal fægror beran.
-- Durham Proverbs 42.