Your program is sick! Shoot it and put it out of its memory.

computers / news.admin.peering / Re: Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and beyond Usenet servers?

SubjectAuthor
* Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and beyond Usenet servers?Jesse Rehmer
+* Re: Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and beyond Usenet servers?Martin Burmester
|`- Re: Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and beyond Usenet servers?Marco Moock
`- Re: Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and beyond Usenet servers?Marco Moock

1
Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and beyond Usenet servers?

<t8ink4$2gpv$1@spool1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=309&group=news.admin.peering#309

From: jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Subject: Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and beyond Usenet servers?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:19:15 -0500
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 20:19 UTC

My understanding of the Usenet topology in that part of the world is
nil, and given the current situation this may not come with popularity,
but are there any Russian, Ukrainian, etc. Usenet services in operation?

It feels like neva.ru was the last (known to me) Russia based Usenet
service, and while there are some .ru and .ua domain names showing up in
Top1000 reports, from what I can tell these are due to servers being fed
old articles and gathering inpath data (I'm guilty of this before I
realized).

I know there are still services operating in Poland, for example, but
what about the rest of that part of the world (east/south of Germany and
Poland)?

Regards,

Jesse Rehmer

Re: Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and beyond Usenet servers?

<t8pm52$7dd$1@blackbox.home.burmester.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=313&group=news.admin.peering#313

From: martin@burmester.org (Martin Burmester)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:37:06 +0200
 by: Martin Burmester - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:37 UTC

Hi,

Am 17.06.2022 um 22:19 schrieb Jesse Rehmer:
> My understanding of the Usenet topology in that part of the world is
> nil, and given the current situation this may not come with popularity,
> but are there any Russian, Ukrainian, etc. Usenet services in operation?

I dont think where a news server is located matters that much these days
to users.

It is my understanding that in the former soviet union Fidonet protocol
is much more widely used than elsewhere. A lot is gated to usenet in the
fido7 hierarchy. No idea where the gateway is located tough.

Also I have no idea how all that is affected by russian internet
censorship or how it might be affected in the future, but maybe thats
interesting to watch.

Cheers
Martin

Re: Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and beyond Usenet servers?

<teakd3$1pk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=416&group=news.admin.peering#416

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 16:12:51 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 14:12 UTC

On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:37:06 +0200
Martin Burmester <martin@burmester.org> wrote:

> Also I have no idea how all that is affected by russian internet
> censorship or how it might be affected in the future, but maybe thats
> interesting to watch.

I don't think that this will be affected, because usenet is a place
where people with technical knowledge write - it is unknown for
"normal" people.

Censorship in Russia is also different from Censorship in Ukraine and
from censorship in the European Union.

They want to block different things, in the EU this is done via DNS
resolvers the providers operate. If you use another one (maybe your
own), no censorship.

Re: Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, and beyond Usenet servers?

<teal3q$1pk$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=417&group=news.admin.peering#417

From: mo01@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: news.admin.peering
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 16:24:57 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 14:24 UTC

On Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:19:15 -0500
Jesse Rehmer <jesse.rehmer@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

> I know there are still services operating in Poland, for example, but
> what about the rest of that part of the world (east/south of Germany
> and Poland)?

In Russia there are still some, they are also reachable.
https://www.jumpjet.info/Offbeat-Internet/Public/NNTP/url.htm

In Germany are also some, eternal-september.org, news.solani.org, some
operated by Universities like Stuttgart.

Also see here: https://news.aioe.org/stats/feeds/