From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Why one needs a dVD drive in his laptop after all, haha.
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 21:17:41 -0500
 by: Joel - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:17 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>People laughed at me when I said I wanted a desktop and a laptop with a
>DVD drive. No one uses those anymore, they taunted me.
>
>Well, I was visiting my brother and sil, and good friends of theirs had
>given them a telescope. They live on the 17th floor of an 18 story
>building, on a corner apt with a balcony.
>
>And they are complicated. Setup especially. And guess what, included in
>the box was a DVD. Their computers would not play it but mine could. So
>there.
>
>It turns out, the telescope is still for sale new, a couple hundred
>dollars iirc, but the file dates on all the DVD files was from 2008.
>
>It included weblinks to the manufacturer, for warranty registration etc.
>and none of the links still worked, It also included the user manual in
>PDF, which is good because one of their new dogs** ate up part of the
>paper manual. I sent the pdf to each of their email accounts, though
>afaict neither reads his or her email. But if they complain later, I'll
>send another copy. LOL
>
>**The dogs are maltepoos. Combination of a poodle with a malted milk.

I had a BD-RE (Blu-ray writer) drive in my old computer, but have no
optical drive in this one. If I had a critical need to use an optical
disk, USB-connecting external optical drives are available. My case's
front side has a stylish design, rather than drive bays.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: Why one needs a dVD drive in his laptop after all, haha.