From: nospam.Ron.Lauzon@f383.n135.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Lauzon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: How does Pi get its t
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 08:22:30 +1200
 by: Ron Lauzon - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 20:22 UTC

-=> Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote to Dr. What <=-

AAS> I'd like to see details - the CP/M-86 filesystem on the ACT
AAS> Sirius I used didn't have one.

I'm trying to see if I can find that information, but I'm coming up empty.
Maybe I'm thinking about DRI's offerings much later (like DR DOS).

AAS> IIRC they came into MS-DOS along with hard disc support in
AAS> 2.0.

I ran into that while restoring a Sperry portable PC. I found the original DOS
for it and used that for the CF card "hard drive". Setting that up was
"interesting" in DOS 2.x to say the least.

AAS> Heirarchial filesystems go back a *long* way, there are papers
AAS> from the late 1950s but Multics is generally considered to have had the
AAS> first full blown version.

Oh, ya. Even systems like IBM MVS supported something like that. So the idea
wasn't new.

But if you think about the time frame, it was mostly floppy drive systems.
Subdirectories don't become really useful until hard drives are relatively
common.

I'm just imagining what it would be like to use a Kaypro 10 (with the hard
drive) without subdirectories and that's certainly a different way of thinking.

.... How do women get minks? Same way minks get minks
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

How does Pi get its t

<1644850449@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4147&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#4147

From: nospam.Vincent.Coen@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.org (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: How does Pi get its t
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 14:45:26 +1200
 by: Vincent Coen - Mon, 14 Feb 2022 02:45 UTC

Hello Ron!

Monday February 14 2022 08:22, you wrote to Ahem A Rivet's Shot:

Many of the CPM (and MPM) processes came from Digital PDP systems such as PIP.
I suspect that includes much of it but by memory is no longer up to it despite
having the CPM manual sitting on my system some where along with possible
copies of the s/w.

I owned a company M.P.I (Microcomputer Products International) that
distributed
these products around the world outside of the USA at least until MSDOS became
dominant in the early 80's followed by Windows 3.1 (earlier versions where not
sold as where considered too buggy or poor in functionality).
This was along side many of the software applications that run on it.
The company was around from 75 to 85.

Vincent

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: How does Pi get its t