Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:53:13 -0700
From: chime@hubert-humphrey.com (Chime Hart)
Subject: Re: Alpine not Always Ringing the Bell?
 by: Chime Hart - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:53 UTC

Well, I realize I am replying to a message of mine from 2017, but among
13thousand messages, this was a most adequate subject matching this current
situation. Since that time, I not grab mail from a remote server, actually
FastMail. Obviously still inconsistancies with the bell ringing as well as my
earlier comments about times where it will just say "sorting mail 100%" The
real `killer was just today, I came home opened an index of 50 messages, began
useing an agregate command to mark items I didn't want. I expunged these items,
when I discovered an index had advanced as 2 items arrived alphabeticly near
the top of an index. Then I figured out because there were no notifications nor
any bells that rang, I nuked a daily C-Span schedule which I cannot get back.
And for the record I have a beep frequency set at the loudest at 1750. Sure,
like now while I am writing, I am hearing a bell-and-new mail from whoever, but
its mostly in an index where its rather inconsistant. Thanks so much in
advance
Chime

Re: Alpine not Always Ringing the Bell?

<t37s1a$e7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=410&group=comp.mail.pine#410

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 01:05:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 01:05 UTC

On 2022-04-13, Chime Hart <chime@hubert-humphrey.com> wrote:
> Well, I realize I am replying to a message of mine from 2017, but among
> 13thousand messages, this was a most adequate subject matching this current
> situation. Since that time, I not grab mail from a remote server, actually
> FastMail. Obviously still inconsistancies with the bell ringing as well as my
> earlier comments about times where it will just say "sorting mail 100%" The
> real `killer was just today, I came home opened an index of 50 messages, began
> useing an agregate command to mark items I didn't want. I expunged these items,
> when I discovered an index had advanced as 2 items arrived alphabeticly near
> the top of an index. Then I figured out because there were no notifications nor
> any bells that rang, I nuked a daily C-Span schedule which I cannot get back.
> And for the record I have a beep frequency set at the loudest at 1750. Sure,
> like now while I am writing, I am hearing a bell-and-new mail from whoever, but
> its mostly in an index where its rather inconsistant. Thanks so much in
> advance

It is always better to mark and save the messages into some saved
folder. Then you can go into that and delete them all if you want. To
delete in an active mailbox can be pretty dangerous as you have
discovered. And I sure would not depend on a bell. There is lots that
could disrupt that, including you having gone to pour another cup of
coffee just at the wrong time.

> Chime

Re: Alpine not Always Ringing the Bell?

<00c3b184-5b7f-33cf-5179-ceb86f840100@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=411&group=comp.mail.pine#411

From: chappa@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 19:34:19 -0600
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 01:34 UTC

On Wed, 13 Apr 2022, Chime Hart wrote:

> Well, I realize I am replying to a message of mine from 2017, but among
> 13thousand messages, this was a most adequate subject matching this current
> situation. Since that time, I not grab mail from a remote server, actually
> FastMail. Obviously still inconsistancies with the bell ringing as well as my
> earlier comments about times where it will just say "sorting mail 100%" The
> real `killer was just today, I came home opened an index of 50 messages,
> began useing an agregate command to mark items I didn't want. I expunged
> these items, when I discovered an index had advanced as 2 items arrived
> alphabeticly near the top of an index. Then I figured out because there were
> no notifications nor any bells that rang, I nuked a daily C-Span schedule
> which I cannot get back. And for the record I have a beep frequency set at
> the loudest at 1750. Sure, like now while I am writing, I am hearing a
> bell-and-new mail from whoever, but its mostly in an index where its rather
> inconsistant. Thanks so much in advance

It is not clear to me what the situation was. My understanding is that you
selected messages using aggregate operations. Did the wrong messages get
selected when you did that? (wrong in the sense that the messages that got
selected included messages you were not aware of), or did the correct
messages get selected but when you applied the delete operation the
incorrect messages got deleted? (because the message numbers did not match
the selected messages due to the arrival of new messages.)

Thank you for clarifying.

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)

Re: Alpine not Always Ringing the Bell?

<t380qq$bc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=412&group=comp.mail.pine#412

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 02:27:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 02:27 UTC

On 2022-04-14, Eduardo Chappa <chappa@washington.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2022, Chime Hart wrote:
>
>> Well, I realize I am replying to a message of mine from 2017, but among
>> 13thousand messages, this was a most adequate subject matching this current
>> situation. Since that time, I not grab mail from a remote server, actually
>> FastMail. Obviously still inconsistancies with the bell ringing as well as my
>> earlier comments about times where it will just say "sorting mail 100%" The
>> real `killer was just today, I came home opened an index of 50 messages,
>> began useing an agregate command to mark items I didn't want. I expunged
>> these items, when I discovered an index had advanced as 2 items arrived
>> alphabeticly near the top of an index. Then I figured out because there were
>> no notifications nor any bells that rang, I nuked a daily C-Span schedule
>> which I cannot get back. And for the record I have a beep frequency set at
>> the loudest at 1750. Sure, like now while I am writing, I am hearing a
>> bell-and-new mail from whoever, but its mostly in an index where its rather
>> inconsistant. Thanks so much in advance
>
> It is not clear to me what the situation was. My understanding is that you
> selected messages using aggregate operations. Did the wrong messages get
> selected when you did that? (wrong in the sense that the messages that got
> selected included messages you were not aware of), or did the correct
> messages get selected but when you applied the delete operation the
> incorrect messages got deleted? (because the message numbers did not match
> the selected messages due to the arrival of new messages.)

I read it that the two new messages got included in the messages that
were deleted as well as the ones that had been chosen. But lets hopes he
answers.

> Thank you for clarifying.

Re: Alpine not Always Ringing the Bell?

<8a9d7a8c-709e-977e-d233-7817218f487e@hubert-humphrey.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=413&group=comp.mail.pine#413

Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 20:06:24 -0700
From: chime@hubert-humphrey.com (Chime Hart)
 by: Chime Hart - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 03:06 UTC

Thank you Eduardo-and-William. Essentially William is correct, however, as an
index changed without any notifications, 2 messages I thought were gone were
still in an inbox, but 2 others were gone. With a screen-reader, it takes time
to examin a large index. I realize there are options to prevent new mail from
coming in while in an inbox. I also know I could set an intervill so mail
wouldn't check as frequently, but none of these work arounds would actually fix
Alpine's inconsistant behavior with both types of informing about "new mail"
Thanks in advance
Chime