A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.

devel / comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc / Re: X not starting:driver issue

SubjectAuthor
* X not starting:driver issueLouis Epstein
`* Re: X not starting:driver issueLouis Epstein
 `* Re: X not starting:driver issueLouis Epstein
  `* Re: X not starting:driver issueLouis Epstein
   `* Re: X not starting:driver issueLouis Epstein
    `* Re: X not starting:driver issueLouis Epstein
     `* Re: X not starting:driver issueLouis Epstein
      `- Re: X not starting:driver issueLouis Epstein

1
X not starting:driver issue

<u30upm$1je$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=398&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#398

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: X not starting:driver issue
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 18:50:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 4 May 2023 18:50 UTC

I'm running 12.4-RELEASE and a startx just failed with
error messages with the MESA-LOADER complaining that it
could not find /usr/local/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so
(followup error messages "failed to load driver: radeon"
and "kmsro: driver missing").

That directory actually has a radeonsi_dri.so in it,
I was able to find a radeon_dri.so in an older backup
directory and copied it in alongside,but that only
changes the error messages from "failed to load driver: radeon"
to "unknown chip id 0x683d, can't guess." wuth the
"kmsro: driver missing" and
"MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information" unchanged.

I know X was launching since the last time I upgraded mesa*,
I did just change xorg-server and a few others (pciids,
gpgme,re2...?) but what's happening?

Why would an older driver suddenly be sought and a chip
become unknown?

-=-=-

Re: X not starting:driver issue

<u30vii$4cn$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=399&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#399

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: X not starting:driver issue
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 19:03:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 4 May 2023 19:03 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
> I'm running 12.4-RELEASE and a startx just failed with
> error messages with the MESA-LOADER complaining that it
> could not find /usr/local/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so
> (followup error messages "failed to load driver: radeon"
> and "kmsro: driver missing").
>
> That directory actually has a radeonsi_dri.so in it,
> I was able to find a radeon_dri.so in an older backup
> directory and copied it in alongside,but that only
> changes the error messages from "failed to load driver: radeon"
> to "unknown chip id 0x683d, can't guess." wuth the
> "kmsro: driver missing" and
> "MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information" unchanged.
>
> I know X was launching since the last time I upgraded mesa*,
> I did just change xorg-server and a few others (pciids,

(yes)

> gpgme,re2...?)

correcting myself,I TRIED to upgrade these from my Synth
repository but they failed to happen because I wasn't
doing a batch job including removing qt5-webengine which
I think some other things need.

> but what's happening?
>
> Why would an older driver suddenly be sought and a chip
> become unknown?
>
> -=-=-
> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: X not starting:driver issue

<u319i5$eeq$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=400&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#400

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 21:54:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 4 May 2023 21:54 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>> I'm running 12.4-RELEASE and a startx just failed with
>> error messages with the MESA-LOADER complaining that it
>> could not find /usr/local/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so
>> (followup error messages "failed to load driver: radeon"
>> and "kmsro: driver missing").
>>
>> That directory actually has a radeonsi_dri.so in it,
>> I was able to find a radeon_dri.so in an older backup
>> directory and copied it in alongside,but that only
>> changes the error messages from "failed to load driver: radeon"
>> to "unknown chip id 0x683d, can't guess." wuth the
>> "kmsro: driver missing" and
>> "MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information" unchanged.

If I make radeon_dri.so a symbolic link to radeonsi_dri.so
one of the MESA-LOADER error messages (in 2 repeated sets)
changes to
MESA-LOADER: driver exports no extensions (Undefined symbol "__driDriverExtensions")
>> I know X was launching since the last time I upgraded mesa*,
>> I did just change xorg-server and a few others (pciids,
>
> (yes)
>
>> gpgme,re2...?)
>
> correcting myself,I TRIED to upgrade these from my Synth
> repository but they failed to happen because I wasn't
> doing a batch job including removing qt5-webengine which
> I think some other things need.
>
>> but what's happening?
>>
>> Why would an older driver suddenly be sought and a chip
>> become unknown?
>>
>> -=-=-
>> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
>> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: X not starting:driver issue

<u337r3$42q$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=401&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#401

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 15:37:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 5 May 2023 15:37 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>>> I'm running 12.4-RELEASE and a startx just failed with
>>> error messages with the MESA-LOADER complaining that it
>>> could not find /usr/local/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so
>>> (followup error messages "failed to load driver: radeon"
>>> and "kmsro: driver missing").
>>>
>>> That directory actually has a radeonsi_dri.so in it,
>>> I was able to find a radeon_dri.so in an older backup
>>> directory and copied it in alongside,but that only
>>> changes the error messages from "failed to load driver: radeon"
>>> to "unknown chip id 0x683d, can't guess." wuth the
>>> "kmsro: driver missing" and
>>> "MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information" unchanged.
>
> If I make radeon_dri.so a symbolic link to radeonsi_dri.so
> one of the MESA-LOADER error messages (in 2 repeated sets)
> changes to
> MESA-LOADER: driver exports no extensions (Undefined symbol "__driDriverExtensions")
>
>>> I know X was launching since the last time I upgraded mesa*,
>>> I did just change xorg-server and a few others (pciids,
>>
>> (yes)
>>
>>> gpgme,re2...?)
>>
>> correcting myself,I TRIED to upgrade these from my Synth
>> repository but they failed to happen because I wasn't
>> doing a batch job including removing qt5-webengine which
>> I think some other things need.

Just did a no-removals upgrade of latest synth update of
my repository and the X problem persists.

>>> but what's happening?
>>>
>>> Why would an older driver suddenly be sought and a chip
>>> become unknown?
>>>
>>> -=-=-
>>> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
>>> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: X not starting:driver issue

<u361t6$fae$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=402&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#402

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 17:14:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 6 May 2023 17:14 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:

>> If I make radeon_dri.so a symbolic link to radeonsi_dri.so
>> one of the MESA-LOADER error messages (in 2 repeated sets)
>> changes to
>> MESA-LOADER: driver exports no extensions (Undefined symbol "__driDriverExtensions")

>>> (yes)

>>> correcting myself,I TRIED to upgrade these from my Synth
>>> repository but they failed to happen because I wasn't
>>> doing a batch job including removing qt5-webengine which
>>> I think some other things need.
>
> Just did a no-removals upgrade of latest synth update of
> my repository and the X problem persists.

FWIW the window manager does launch in single user mode?!

Re: X not starting:driver issue

<u36gm6$1rb$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=403&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#403

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 21:26:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 6 May 2023 21:26 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:

>>> If I make radeon_dri.so a symbolic link to radeonsi_dri.so
>>> one of the MESA-LOADER error messages (in 2 repeated sets)
>>> changes to
>>> MESA-LOADER: driver exports no extensions (Undefined symbol "__driDriverExtensions")

>> Just did a no-removals upgrade of latest synth update of
>> my repository and the X problem persists.

> FWIW the window manager does launch in single user mode?!

....but only once,and now it generates xauth errors if I try.

Re: X not starting:driver issue

<u3khtc$6gq$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=404&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#404

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 05:13:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 12 May 2023 05:13 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:

>>> Just did a no-removals upgrade of latest synth update of
>>> my repository and the X problem persists.

>> FWIW the window manager does launch in single user mode?!
>
> ...but only once,and now it generates xauth errors if I try.

The fix for this whole problem has turned out to be
deleting and reinstalling xorg.

But why,all of a sudden?

Re: X not starting:driver issue

<u5frrs$sfa$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=412&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#412

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 17:05:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 17:05 UTC

Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:
>> Louis Epstein <le@main.lekno.ws> wrote:

>>> FWIW the window manager does launch in single user mode?!
>>
>> ...but only once,and now it generates xauth errors if I try.
>
> The fix for this whole problem has turned out to be
> deleting and reinstalling xorg.
>
> But why,all of a sudden?

THE PROBLEM PERSISTS...if the new xorg-server is upgraded
X stops launching and must be deleted,then a new xorg install
(which picks up the 2.1.7.1 xorg-server from the FreeBSD repository and
not the 2.1.8x upgrade from the local repository that causes
the problems) makes the issue go away.
(A half dozen driver apps go along for the install and delete rides).