A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Script running when opening TB today?

SubjectAuthor
* Script running when opening TB today?Jeff Layman
+- Re: Script running when opening TB today?Andy Burns
+* Re: Script running when opening TB today?Jörg Lorenz
|`* Re: Script running when opening TB today?Wayne
| `- Re: Script running when opening TB today?Jörg Knobloch
`* Re: Script running when opening TB today?VanguardLH
 `* Re: Script running when opening TB today?Jeff Layman
  `* Re: Script running when opening TB today?Jörg Lorenz
   `- Re: Script running when opening TB today?Jeff Layman

1
Script running when opening TB today?

<v0fjai$3hm0f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4116&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4116

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Script running when opening TB today?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 07:58:26 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 06:58 UTC

After logging on to my laptop, and opening TB, I was greeted by this
page on my default browser (which I had not yet opened, but must have
been opened by TB):
<https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.0/spring24/>

Anyone else see this? Thunderbird was updated to 115.10.1 yesterday (via
Linux Mint's update manager), although I did not close and reopen TB at
the time. Was the script(?) designed to run automatically after 115.10.1
was opened for the first time?

There seems something wrong here. TB should *not* open my default
browser until I decide to click on a link in a message. What if I had
noticed something suspicious on a page just before I shut down the
browser last night, intending to check it /before/ starting the browser
this morning?

--
Jeff

Re: Script running when opening TB today?

<l911vkF86gfU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4117&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4117

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Script running when opening TB today?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 08:04:13 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 07:04 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote:

> <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.0/spring24/>
> Anyone else see this?

Not today, but I have previously seen similar encouragements to donate
to the project, it doesn't happen frequently, so it doesn't annoy me.

Re: Script running when opening TB today?

<v0fnv9$3iqh5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4118&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4118

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 10:17:44 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 08:17 UTC

On 26.04.24 08:58, Jeff Layman wrote:
> After logging on to my laptop, and opening TB, I was greeted by this
> page on my default browser (which I had not yet opened, but must have
> been opened by TB):
> <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.0/spring24/>
>
> Anyone else see this?

Happens after each and every update.

--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: Script running when opening TB today?

<1xb6rzucnoh2g.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4119&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4119

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 03:58:26 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 08:58 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> After logging on to my laptop, and opening TB, I was greeted by this
> page on my default browser (which I had not yet opened, but must have
> been opened by TB):
> <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.0/spring24/>
>
> Anyone else see this? Thunderbird was updated to 115.10.1 yesterday (via
> Linux Mint's update manager), although I did not close and reopen TB at
> the time. Was the script(?) designed to run automatically after 115.10.1
> was opened for the first time?
>
> There seems something wrong here. TB should *not* open my default
> browser until I decide to click on a link in a message. What if I had
> noticed something suspicious on a page just before I shut down the
> browser last night, intending to check it /before/ starting the browser
> this morning?

Other users are seeing the marketing campaign from Mozilla asking for
donations. For example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thunderbird/comments/1c9v762/thunderbird_now_opens_your_browser_and_loads_a/

You get arguments that because Tbird is free than advertisements are not
advertisements. Nonsense. Ads are still ads regardless of the price of
a product.

Rather than yanking you away from Tbird by opening and changing focus to
a separate program (web browser), the polite way to beg for donations is
to have a banner in the GUI, like in the status bar or an otherwise
blank area of a toolbar with a clickable object titled "Please donate".
That the ad is there as a reminder you are using donationware doesn't
interfere with your use of Tbird. Yanking you out of Tbird to see an ad
*is* interfering with your use of Tbird.

Re: Script running when opening TB today?

<v0g9rs$s18$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4120&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4120

From: wayne@nospam.com (Wayne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 09:23:07 -0400
 by: Wayne - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 13:23 UTC

On 4/26/24 4:17 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 26.04.24 08:58, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> After logging on to my laptop, and opening TB, I was greeted by this
>> page on my default browser (which I had not yet opened, but must have
>> been opened by TB):
>> <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.0/spring24/>
>>
>> Anyone else see this?
> Happens after each and every update.

These appear in the browser because it is a better process for those who
are donating.

It only happens a couple times a year and in only specific versions, not
every update. And it should appear just once with that update, no more.
If you are seeing this more than once in a week then that is a
reportable bug.

Re: Script running when opening TB today?

<v0jolj$iojn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4121&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4121

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:54:11 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 20:54 UTC

On 26/04/2024 09:58, VanguardLH wrote:
> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> After logging on to my laptop, and opening TB, I was greeted by this
>> page on my default browser (which I had not yet opened, but must have
>> been opened by TB):
>> <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.0/spring24/>
>>
>> Anyone else see this? Thunderbird was updated to 115.10.1 yesterday (via
>> Linux Mint's update manager), although I did not close and reopen TB at
>> the time. Was the script(?) designed to run automatically after 115.10.1
>> was opened for the first time?
>>
>> There seems something wrong here. TB should *not* open my default
>> browser until I decide to click on a link in a message. What if I had
>> noticed something suspicious on a page just before I shut down the
>> browser last night, intending to check it /before/ starting the browser
>> this morning?
>
> Other users are seeing the marketing campaign from Mozilla asking for
> donations. For example:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/Thunderbird/comments/1c9v762/thunderbird_now_opens_your_browser_and_loads_a/

I hadn't seen that. I see that most of the replies, like those here,
miss the point. I have no objections to requests for donations (whether
they are considered adverts or not). I object to Thunderbird opening my
browser to show the ad; if - as you mention below - the ad had appeared
in Thunderbird itself I would have found that completely acceptable and
wouldn't have sent my OP.

> Rather than yanking you away from Tbird by opening and changing focus to
> a separate program (web browser), the polite way to beg for donations is
> to have a banner in the GUI, like in the status bar or an otherwise
> blank area of a toolbar with a clickable object titled "Please donate".
> That the ad is there as a reminder you are using donationware doesn't
> interfere with your use of Tbird. Yanking you out of Tbird to see an ad
> *is* interfering with your use of Tbird.
--
Jeff

Re: Script running when opening TB today?

<c047dc6e-228f-47de-acd4-0ab446440248@news.betterbird.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4122&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4122

From: jorgk@jorgk.com (Jörg Knobloch)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 00:06:42 +0200
 by: Jörg Knobloch - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 22:06 UTC

On 26 Apr 2024 15:23, Wayne wrote:
> And it should appear just once with that update, no more.

Once per profile. If you have multiple profiles, you'll see it multiple times.

So far, these versions have begged for money:
https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/comm-esr115/log?rev=appeal
12 Dec 2022, 07 Jul 2023, 07 Dec 2023, 10 Apr 2024.

Especially successful the one in Dec 2022 which yielded ~3.5 US$:
https://stats.thunderbird.net/#financials
(just for those who think that TB is still run by volunteers).

--
Viele Grüße, Jörg
Sent with Betterbird. Simply better.

Re: Script running when opening TB today?

<v0kls6$sbfi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4123&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4123

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 07:12:38 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 05:12 UTC

On 27.04.24 22:54, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 26/04/2024 09:58, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> After logging on to my laptop, and opening TB, I was greeted by this
>>> page on my default browser (which I had not yet opened, but must have
>>> been opened by TB):
>>> <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.0/spring24/>
>>>
>>> Anyone else see this? Thunderbird was updated to 115.10.1 yesterday (via
>>> Linux Mint's update manager), although I did not close and reopen TB at
>>> the time. Was the script(?) designed to run automatically after 115.10.1
>>> was opened for the first time?
>>>
>>> There seems something wrong here. TB should *not* open my default
>>> browser until I decide to click on a link in a message. What if I had
>>> noticed something suspicious on a page just before I shut down the
>>> browser last night, intending to check it /before/ starting the browser
>>> this morning?
>>
>> Other users are seeing the marketing campaign from Mozilla asking for
>> donations. For example:
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/Thunderbird/comments/1c9v762/thunderbird_now_opens_your_browser_and_loads_a/
>
> I hadn't seen that. I see that most of the replies, like those here,
> miss the point. I have no objections to requests for donations (whether
> they are considered adverts or not). I object to Thunderbird opening my
> browser to show the ad; if - as you mention below - the ad had appeared
> in Thunderbird itself I would have found that completely acceptable and
> wouldn't have sent my OP.

I guess you determined FF as the default browser. Like any other program
TB opens this default browser when a link is triggered.

--
"Alea iacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: Script running when opening TB today?

<v0l30n$v6v6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4124&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4124

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 09:56:55 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 08:56 UTC

On 28/04/2024 06:12, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 27.04.24 22:54, Jeff Layman wrote:

>>> Other users are seeing the marketing campaign from Mozilla asking for
>>> donations. For example:
>>>
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/Thunderbird/comments/1c9v762/thunderbird_now_opens_your_browser_and_loads_a/
>>
>> I hadn't seen that. I see that most of the replies, like those here,
>> miss the point. I have no objections to requests for donations (whether
>> they are considered adverts or not). I object to Thunderbird opening my
>> browser to show the ad; if - as you mention below - the ad had appeared
>> in Thunderbird itself I would have found that completely acceptable and
>> wouldn't have sent my OP.
>
> I guess you determined FF as the default browser. Like any other program
> TB opens this default browser when a link is triggered.

It's actually Pale Moon, and has been for years, but despite the work
Moonchild puts into it I'm finding more and more webpages it doesn't
like. I guess that at some time I will have to consider something else
like Waterfox or Librewolf, although I'm still using FF as my backup
browser (very infrequently also resorting to Vivaldi, although I try to
completely avoid Chrome-based browsers. I particular dislike the idea of
having to visit the Chrome Web Store to get any extensions).

--
Jeff

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Script running when opening TB today?