To be is to program.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Inbox only sync

SubjectAuthor
* Inbox only syncJim the Geordie
+* Re: Inbox only syncJörg Lorenz
|`- Re: Inbox only syncJörg Lorenz
+- Re: Inbox only syncVanguardLH
+- Re: Inbox only syncCarlos E.R.
+* Re: Inbox only syncAmmammata
|+* Re: Inbox only syncJörg Lorenz
||`- Re: Inbox only syncAmmammata
|`* Re: Inbox only syncVanguardLH
| `- Re: Inbox only syncAmmammata
`- Re: Inbox only syncJörg Knobloch

1
Inbox only sync

<MPG.409092193bcfcd79989705@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4100&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4100

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Inbox only sync
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:26:54 +0100
 by: Jim the Geordie - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:26 UTC

Can I set Tb/Bb to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?
OR does it do this anyhow?
AND would that make any difference to memory usage?

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Inbox only sync

<v060bm$1179t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4101&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4101

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Inbox only sync
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:39:34 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:39 UTC

On 22.04.2024 17:26, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Can I set Tb/Bb to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?

Only with the old POP3. There is only an "Inbox".
The idea of IMAP is that all changes in the client and on the server are
synchronised at any given point in time.

> OR does it do this anyhow?
> AND would that make any difference to memory usage?

I do not know exactly what you mean. For the RAM-usage it is only minor
and as far as the local mass storage is concerned it depends on the size
and the number of mails you store locally. With IMAP it is not necessary
to store locally.

That is the current RAM- usage here according to the system:

Thunderbird 813.8 MB 76 432 1673 jorglorenz

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: Inbox only sync

<v060hl$1179t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4102&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4102

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:42:45 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:42 UTC

On 22.04.2024 17:39, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 22.04.2024 17:26, Jim the Geordie wrote:
>> Can I set Tb/Bb to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?
>
> Only with the old POP3. There is only an "Inbox".
> The idea of IMAP is that all changes in the client and on the server are
> synchronised at any given point in time.
>
>> OR does it do this anyhow?
>> AND would that make any difference to memory usage?
>
> I do not know exactly what you mean. For the RAM-usage it is only minor
> and as far as the local mass storage is concerned it depends on the size
> and the number of mails you store locally. With IMAP it is not necessary
> to store locally.
>
> That is the current RAM- usage here according to the system:
>
> Thunderbird 813.8 MB 76 432 1673 jorglorenz

BTW: It is a Mac with a T2-Intel, 16 GB RAM and 500 GB-SSD.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: Inbox only sync

<12l0eg0ndpypn$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4103&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4103

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:09:36 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:09 UTC

Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> Can I set Tb/Bb to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?
> OR does it do this anyhow?
> AND would that make any difference to memory usage?

Depends on the e-mail protocol used, but which you didn't mention.

For POP, there is only the mailbox (which the webmail and local e-mail
client present as the Inbox). There are no other folders to sync.
There is only the Inbox (mailbox) on which to sync. All other folders
shown in a local e-mail client are local-only.

For IMAP, the local e-mail client syncs on the subscribed server-side
folders which are typically Inbox, Send, Junk, Trash. Typically the
Drafts folder is local since you haven't yet sent those messages to the
server to then sync from there. If you add a folder using the local
e-mail client, the client will create and subscribe to that folder up on
the server. Also, what gets synchronized to keep a local copy of entire
messages on your client end depends if you configured the client to keep
copies offline. Look at the "Synchronization and Storage" settings for
the IMAP account you defined in Thunderbird.

Exchange is a different beast; however, since Thunderbird doesn't yet
support Exchange or EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) or EWS (Exchange Web
Services) or OWL (Outlook Web Access), you're not using Exchange unless
you installed an add-on to add more e-mail protocols to Thunderbird.

Re: Inbox only sync

<dl2jfkxt2c.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4104&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4104

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 23:50:05 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 21:50 UTC

On 2024-04-22 17:26, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Can I set Tb/Bb to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?
> OR does it do this anyhow?
> AND would that make any difference to memory usage?

(for imap)

If by synchronize you mean keeping a copy on disk of a folder, or not,
then yes, it is possible. You have to righ-click on each folder,
properties, synchronization tab, then unclick "select this folder for
offline use".

But each time you click on that folder, it will be read from the remote
server, using memory and possibly disk. I don't know at what point those
bytes are purged.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Inbox only sync

<v07nsd$cmho$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4105&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4105

From: ammammata@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:27:08 +0200
 by: Ammammata - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 07:27 UTC

Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Can I set Tb/Bb to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?
> OR does it do this anyhow?
> AND would that make any difference to memory usage?

I asked the same to my servie supplier, mailboxes are actually
Microsoft accounts, connected using Exchange, and they replied "No,
sorry" unless I spent a billion bucks to customize the whole system

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: Inbox only sync

<v07q9c$1gutd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4106&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4106

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:08:12 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:08 UTC

On 23.04.24 09:27, Ammammata wrote:
> Jim the Geordie wrote:
>> Can I set Tb/Bb to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?
>> OR does it do this anyhow?
>> AND would that make any difference to memory usage?
>
> I asked the same to my servie supplier, mailboxes are actually
> Microsoft accounts, connected using Exchange, and they replied "No,
> sorry" unless I spent a billion bucks to customize the whole system

Hä?
What are you talking about. This has nothing to do with neither the
question nor Thunderbird.

--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: Inbox only sync

<628c8861-173d-42ed-bde2-15ea0b52439c@news.betterbird.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4107&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4107

From: jorgk@jorgk.com (Jörg Knobloch)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:46:12 +0200
 by: Jörg Knobloch - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:46 UTC

On 22 Apr 2024 17:26, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Can I set Tb/Bb to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?
> OR does it do this anyhow?

It should do that, unless pref mail.server.default.check_all_folders_for_new or
mail.server.serverNN.check_all_folders_for_new is set to true. Default is false.

--
Viele Grüße, Jörg
Sent with Betterbird. Simply better.

Re: Inbox only sync

<knal55wax3am$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4108&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4108

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 03:52:23 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:52 UTC

Ammammata <ammammata@tiscali.it> wrote:

> Jim the Geordie wrote:
>
>> Can I set Tb/Bb to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?
>> OR does it do this anyhow?
>> AND would that make any difference to memory usage?
>
> I asked the same to my servie supplier, mailboxes are actually
> Microsoft accounts, connected using Exchange, and they replied "No,
> sorry" unless I spent a billion bucks to customize the whole system

Thunderbird does not natively support MS Exchange, EAS (Exchange
ActiveSync), or EWS (Exchange Web Services) unless you install an
add-on. However, I recall that Mozilla is looking into adding Exchange
support using EWS in Thunderbird.

https://blog.thunderbird.net/2024/04/adventures-in-rust-bringing-exchange-support-to-thunderbird/

Alas, Microsoft will deprecate EWS in Oct 2026, so even if Tbird gets
EWS support via RUST, it will be too late. For companies running their
own Exchange servers, Tbird can finally get some penetration into the
corporate market for that protocol. But not for the freebie MS accounts
that most single-point or end users have. It's like having Secretariat
race around inside a barn.

As yet, we don't what protocol Geordie is using in Thunderbird. Could
be POP. Could be IMAP. Won't be Exchange for a while.

Not all Microsoft e-mail accounts demand the use of Exchange. That
requires you either use an MS client (using EWS) or pay Microsoft for
Exchange access. There is also POP and IMAP access to MS accounts
(Hotmail, Outlook.com, Live.com).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/pop-imap-and-smtp-settings-for-outlook-com-d088b986-291d-42b8-9564-9c414e2aa040

Re: Inbox only sync

<v07t8j$cpd9$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4109&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4109

From: ammammata@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:58:57 +0200
 by: Ammammata - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 08:58 UTC

Jörg Lorenz formulated on Tuesday :
> What are you talking about. This has nothing to do with neither the
> question nor Thunderbird.

I was referring to the <general> question

Can I set <any mail client> to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?

so I wrote about my experience (with a different software), hoping it
would help the OP

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: Inbox only sync

<v07tb8$cpe1$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4110&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4110

From: ammammata@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:00:22 +0200
 by: Ammammata - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:00 UTC

on 23/04/2024, VanguardLH supposed :
> Ammammata <ammammata@tiscali.it> wrote:
>
>> Jim the Geordie wrote:
>>
>>> Can I set Tb/Bb to synchronize/poll my Inbox only?
>>> OR does it do this anyhow?
>>> AND would that make any difference to memory usage?
>>
>> I asked the same to my service supplier, mailboxes are actually
>> Microsoft accounts, connected using Exchange, and they replied "No,
>> sorry" unless I spent a billion bucks to customize the whole system
>
> Thunderbird does not natively support MS Exchange, EAS (Exchange
> ActiveSync), or EWS (Exchange Web Services) unless you install an
> add-on.

yes, I knew but I forgot to specify :-(
thank you for the additional notes

--

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Inbox only sync