Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
From: viktor.madarasz.com@gmail.com (Viktor Madarasz)
Subject: Gigabit Ethernet Network Card PCI for Sun Ultra 60
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 10:27:56 +0200
 by: Viktor Madarasz - Sun, 20 Jun 2021 08:27 UTC

Hi

anyone has experience with Gigabit Ethernet Cards ( PCI ) for Sun Ultra 60?

I do not want to just go and buy a bunch of adapters and see which one
works under Solaris 10, 9 , 8 , 7 ...

As per the reference manual - it only lists one and only gigabit adapter
( fibre channel one but its Ok i have a Fibre-SX to 1000-T converter for
it .. )

Sun Microsystems 501-4373 X1141A 1000B-SX Gigabit Fibre Ethernet PCI NIC
Card

Anyone has any other brand/model recommendations which are known to work:

- in the Sun Ultra 60
- Under Solaris 10 ( has driver support for it) and also preferably with
Solaris 9 and 8 perhaps 7 as well

(( from the reference manual ))
PCI Card Slot Operating Frequencies

■ All Ultra 60 system PCI card slots operate at 32-bit or 64-bit bus widths.
■ Most PCI cards operate at 33 MHz.
■ Cards designed to operate at 66 MHz must be installed in the PCI66 slot.

Note – If you install a 33 MHz PCI card in PCI66 slot 1, refer to the card
manufacturer’s documentation and verify that the card will operate with
an I/O
signaling level of 3.3 volts.

TABLE 4-7 PCI Card Slot Operating Frequencies
PCI Card Slot Operating Frequency or Frequencies Input/Output Signaling
Level

PCI66 Slot 1 (J1301) 66 MHz
33 MHz 3.3 volts 3.3 volts

PCI Slot 2 (J1401) 33 MHz 5.0 volts

PCI Slot 3 (J1501) 33 MHz 5.0 volts

PCI Slot 4 (J1601) 33 MHz 5.0 volts

Regards

Viktor

Re: Gigabit Ethernet Network Card PCI for Sun Ultra 60

<geqdnccRIvMtI079nZ2dnUU7-TfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=39&group=comp.unix.solaris#39

Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
From: merlyn@dork.geeks.org (Doug McIntyre)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 18:07:28 -0500
 by: Doug McIntyre - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 23:07 UTC

Viktor Madarasz <viktor.madarasz.com@gmail.com> writes:
>anyone has experience with Gigabit Ethernet Cards ( PCI ) for Sun Ultra 60?

Not offhand with anything that wasn't specificly part of shipping systems.

>I do not want to just go and buy a bunch of adapters and see which one
>works under Solaris 10, 9 , 8 , 7 ...

Back in the day, it was standard to assume only the Sun parts worked,
and using 3rd party/PC parts was usually substandard, and usually not
workable, so I would only look at the Sun NIC cards. There's not
generally a lot of choices out there for that.

>As per the reference manual - it only lists one and only gigabit adapter
>( fibre channel one but its Ok i have a Fibre-SX to 1000-T converter for
>it .. )

>Sun Microsystems 501-4373 X1141A 1000B-SX Gigabit Fibre Ethernet PCI NIC
>Card

NB: ethernet over fiber != Fiber Channel.
That's a whole different ball of wax, involving a lot more things,
part of which Sun would have been very strong in the field at the time.
(And Fiber-Channel is very strongly still going in the appropriate fields).

The one part listed in the manual is most likely the one that would
work. I wouldn't look too far away from the spec'd out version. Its
not like PC-land where just about anything worked. Only specific
things worked for Sun machines, and going off the documentation was derigueur.
There's plenty of X1141A listed on flea-bag.
Converting from SX fiber into something else with some cheap switch
won't be too much of an issue.

--
Doug McIntyre
doug@themcintyres.us

Re: Gigabit Ethernet Network Card PCI for Sun Ultra 60

<iji34cFjmhuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=40&group=comp.unix.solaris#40

From: jpstewart@personalprojects.net (John-Paul Stewart)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 20:49:15 -0400
 by: John-Paul Stewart - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:49 UTC

On 2021-06-23 7:07 p.m., Doug McIntyre wrote:

> The one part listed in the manual is most likely the one that would
> work. I wouldn't look too far away from the spec'd out version. Its
> not like PC-land where just about anything worked. Only specific
> things worked for Sun machines, and going off the documentation was derigueur.
> There's plenty of X1141A listed on flea-bag.
> Converting from SX fiber into something else with some cheap switch
> won't be too much of an issue.

FWIW, the Field Engineer's Handbook also says that the "Gigabit Ethernet
1.0 (GBE/P)", option 1044, part 375-0002 (which is also fibre) is
supported in the U60. So is the "GigaSwift Ethernet 1.0 UTP", options
1150 & 3150, part 501-5902 and that one is twisted pair. (It has a
fibre twin, giving yet another optical option.)

You can browse the PCI subsection of the Ethernet part of the Field
Engineer's Handbook to see if there's one that I've missed:

https://dogemicrosystems.ca/pub/Sun/System_Handbook/Sun_syshbk_V4.1/Devices/Ethernet/ETHER_TOC.html

Re: Gigabit Ethernet Network Card PCI for Sun Ultra 60

<mU1BI.639435$HdJ9.49693@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=41&group=comp.unix.solaris#41

Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
From: viktor.madarasz.com@gmail.com (Viktor Madarasz)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 17:53:53 +0200
 by: Viktor Madarasz - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:53 UTC

On 6/24/21 2:49 AM, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
> So is the "GigaSwift Ethernet 1.0 UTP", options
> 1150 & 3150, part 501-5902 and that one is twisted pair. (It has a
> fibre twin, giving yet another optical option.)

Thanks a lot John Im going after the "GigaSwift Ethernet 1.0 UTP" option.

Rd

Viktor