Machines that have broken down will work perfectly when the repairman arrives.

computers / comp.text.tex / Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!Mark Saul
+- Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!Ulrich Diez
+* Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!John Doe
|`- Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!jfh
`- Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!Ulrike Fischer

1
Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!

<591938db-ac45-4cad-b787-0ef9b0a7081en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4094&group=comp.text.tex#4094

Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 08:36:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!
From: marksaul17@gmail.com (Mark Saul)
 by: Mark Saul - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 15:36 UTC

On Sunday, November 6, 1994 at 1:00:42 PM UTC-3, Andrew Mathas wrote:

> |> That's hard. There is no LaTeX \eqno! There is the raw TeX command \eqno
> |> that you should not use in LaTeX, but you may use in plain TeX.
> Is this a moral statement or is there some deeper reason underlying it (this
> begets the question is there depth in morality)?
> Andrew

I am sure that there is something simple that I don't understand. I'm using Latex, and have the statement \usepackage[leqno]{amsmath} in my preamble. Latex now recognizes things like "\leqno{(1)}". That's fine.

But the label is never in the right place.

For example, the code "$$\leqno {(1)} x + 3 = 7$$"
gives (1) x+3 = 7 [where the equation is not centered].
And the code $$\leqno {(1)}$$ $$x+3 = 7$$
gives (1)
x+3 = 7 [centered, but on the next line]

How can I get Latex to put the label on the left, on the same line, with the equation centered in the middle of that line?

All the examples I can find online seem to assume that I want EVERY equation numbered consecutively (I don't) and/or I have a list of equations to be numbered (I don't).

Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!

<510d83da-b791-43c9-b226-1ea5ccd625c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4095&group=comp.text.tex#4095

Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:31:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: ud.usenetcorrespondence@web.de (Ulrich Diez)
 by: Ulrich Diez - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 17:31 UTC

Mark Saul wrote:

> I am sure that there is something simple that I don't understand. I'm using
> Latex, and have the statement \usepackage[leqno]{amsmath} in my preamble.
> Latex now recognizes things like "\leqno{(1)}". That's fine.
>
> But the label is never in the right place.
>
> For example, the code "$$\leqno {(1)} x + 3 = 7$$"
> gives (1) x+3 = 7 [where the equation is not centered].
> And the code $$\leqno {(1)}$$ $$x+3 = 7$$
> gives (1)
> x+3 = 7 [centered, but on the next line]
>
> How can I get Latex to put the label on the left, on the same line,
> with the equation centered in the middle of that line?

Put the command \leqno / \eqno _behind_ the equation in question:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[leqno]{amsmath}
\begin{document}
$$x+3 = 7\eqno{(1)}$$
$$x+3 = 7$$
$$x+3 = 7\leqno{(2)}$$
\end{document}

Regarding vertical glue with \eqno and \leqno remember
TeXbook Chapter 19: Displayed Equations

| After a display has been read, ...
|
| (Continuation.) TeX is now ready to put things onto the current vertical list,
| just after the material previously constructed for the paragraph-so-far. First
| comes a penalty item, whose cost is an integer parameter called \predisplaypenalty.
| Then comes glue. If d + s ≤ p, or
| _if_ _there_ _was_ _a_ _left_ _equation_ _number_ _(\leqno)_,
| TeX sets g_a and g_b to glue items specified by the parameters \abovedisplayskip and
| \belowdisplayskip, respectively; otherwise g_a and g_b become glue items correspond-
| ing to \abovedisplayshortskip and \belowdisplayshortskip. [Translation: If the
| predisplaysize is short enough so that it doesn’t overlap the displayed formula, the glue
| above and below the display will be “short” by comparison with the glue that is used
| when there is an overlap.] If e = 0 and if there is an \leqno, the equation number is
| appended as an hbox by itself, shifted right s and preceded by interline glue as usual;
| an infinite penalty is also appended, to prevent a page break between this number and
| the display. Otherwise a glue item ga is placed on the vertical list.

Sincerely

Ulrich

Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!

<sgtm8j$jbc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4096&group=comp.text.tex#4096

From: john.doe@myemail.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 17:33:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 17:33 UTC

On Sep 3, 2021 at 10:36:16 AM CDT, "Mark Saul" <marksaul17@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is this a moral statement or is there some deeper reason underlying it (this
>> begets the question is there depth in morality)?
>> Andrew
>

> I am sure that there is something simple that I don't understand. I'm using
> Latex, and have the statement \usepackage[leqno]{amsmath} in my preamble.
> Latex now recognizes things like "\leqno{(1)}". That's fine.
>
> But the label is never in the right place.
>
> For example, the code "$$\leqno {(1)} x + 3 = 7$$"
> gives (1) x+3 = 7 [where the equation is not
> centered].
> And the code $$\leqno {(1)}$$ $$x+3 = 7$$
> gives (1)
> x+3 = 7 [centered,
> but on the next line]
>
> How can I get Latex to put the label on the left, on the same line, with the
> equation centered in the middle of that line?
>
> All the examples I can find online seem to assume that I want EVERY equation
> numbered consecutively (I don't) and/or I have a list of equations to be
> numbered (I don't).

Howdy,

Don't use $$...$$ in Latex. Un-numbered displayed equations use \[...\] or the
equation* environment while numbered equations use the equation environment.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[leqno]{amsmath}
\begin{document}

See the numbered equation \eqref{myeq} below. I'll make the line exteded so
you can see the centering.

\[
x + 3 = 7
\]

\begin{equation}
x + 3 = 7 \label{myeq}
\end{equation}

\end{document}

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz

Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!

<3572d876-9f57-45ea-aef1-0c7727c45bf1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4097&group=comp.text.tex#4097

Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 14:39:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: john.harper@vuw.ac.nz (jfh)
 by: jfh - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 21:39 UTC

On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 5:33:13 AM UTC+12, John Doe wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2021 at 10:36:16 AM CDT, "Mark Saul" <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Is this a moral statement or is there some deeper reason underlying it (this
> >> begets the question is there depth in morality)?
> >> Andrew
> >

> > I am sure that there is something simple that I don't understand. I'm using
> > Latex, and have the statement \usepackage[leqno]{amsmath} in my preamble.
> > Latex now recognizes things like "\leqno{(1)}". That's fine.
> >
> > But the label is never in the right place.
> >
> > For example, the code "$$\leqno {(1)} x + 3 = 7$$"
> > gives (1) x+3 = 7 [where the equation is not
> > centered].
> > And the code $$\leqno {(1)}$$ $$x+3 = 7$$
> > gives (1)
> > x+3 = 7 [centered,
> > but on the next line]
> >
> > How can I get Latex to put the label on the left, on the same line, with the
> > equation centered in the middle of that line?
> >
> > All the examples I can find online seem to assume that I want EVERY equation
> > numbered consecutively (I don't) and/or I have a list of equations to be
> > numbered (I don't).
> Howdy,
>
> Don't use $$...$$ in Latex. Un-numbered displayed equations use \[...\] or the
> equation* environment while numbered equations use the equation environment.
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[leqno]{amsmath}
> \begin{document}
> See the numbered equation \eqref{myeq} below. I'll make the line exteded so
> you can see the centering.
>
> \[
> x + 3 = 7
> \]
>
> \begin{equation}
> x + 3 = 7 \label{myeq}
> \end{equation}
>
> \end{document}
>
> Good Luck,
> Herb Schulz

Mark was using amsmath so once he has managed to get equation numbers in the right place for him with the equation environment he should learn about the other environments gather, align and alignat, all of which do things he may find useful.

Re: Equation Numbers In LaTex: Please Help!

<bsdsazhwx14l$.dlg@nililand.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4099&group=comp.text.tex#4099

From: news3@nililand.de (Ulrike Fischer)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 12:28:37 +0200
 by: Ulrike Fischer - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 10:28 UTC

Am Fri, 3 Sep 2021 08:36:16 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Mark Saul:

> I am sure that there is something simple that I don't understand.
> I'm using Latex, and have the statement
> \usepackage[leqno]{amsmath} in my preamble. Latex now recognizes
> things like "\leqno{(1)}". That's fine.

[leqno] is not there to define \leqno. \leqno is a tex primitive
command which always defined, but you shouldn't use it in LaTeX

> But the label is never in the right place.
> All the examples I can find online seem to assume

The internet is sometimes overrated. And most importantly it
contains a lot of nonesense. amsmath has a documentation which you
get with "texdoc amsmath" and it describes various ways to change
the numbering

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[leqno]{amsmath}
\begin{document}