"Experience has proved that some people indeed know everything." -- Russell Baker

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Loading message...

+* Re: Loading message...Andy Burns
|`* Re: Loading message...Kyonshi
| `* Re: Loading message...Kyonshi
|  `* Re: Loading message...kyonshi
|   `* Re: Loading message...Kyonshi
|    `- Re: Loading message...Kyonshi
+* Re: Loading message...Jörg Lorenz
|`* Re: Loading message...Kyonshi
| `* Re: Loading message...Jörg Lorenz
|  `* Re: Loading message...Kyonshi
|   `* Re: Loading message...Jörg Lorenz
|    `* Re: Loading message...Kyonshi
|     `* Re: Loading message...Kyonshi
|      `- Re: Loading message...Joerg Lorenz
`* Re: Loading message...occam
 +- Re: Loading message...Kyonshi
 `* Re: Loading message...Andy Burns
  `* Re: Loading message...occam
   +* Re: Loading message...Paul
   |`* Re: Loading message...occam
   | `- Re: Loading message...Paul
   `* Re: Loading message...Joerg Lorenz
    `- Re: Loading message...Joerg Lorenz

<uuj9js$3tvfp$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3931&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3931

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Loading message...
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 11:48:44 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:48 UTC

Ok, maybe I am doing something wrong, but lately I have the issue that
after a while of having Thunderbird running messages in newsgroups are
stuck at "Loading Message..." without ever actually loading, and the
same happens when trying to send message (I don't have an example right
now, but it claims to be composing the message and doesn't stop).
This doesn't seem to affect my email, but it does affect multiple
newsnet servers (including an installation of Hamster that is running on
localhost, so should not be affected by network issues).

In general it gets resolved by restarting Thunderbird, but it still is
annoying having to restart the application all the time.

Anyone got an idea regarding this? Google only showed me answers for
email, and that one seems fine.

Re: Loading message...

<l74pebF3el8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3932&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3932

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Loading message...
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 11:30:28 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 10:30 UTC

Kyonshi wrote:

> In general it gets resolved by restarting Thunderbird, but it still is
> annoying having to restart the application all the time.

Does clicking the offline/online button [button left, looks a bit like a
phone signal strength icon] twice have the same effect?

what news server?

Re: Loading message...

<uujjl5$3uckn$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3934&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3934

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 14:39:34 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 12:39 UTC

On 4/3/2024 12:30 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Kyonshi wrote:
>
>> In general it gets resolved by restarting Thunderbird, but it still is
>> annoying having to restart the application all the time.
>
> Does clicking the offline/online button [button left, looks a bit like a
> phone signal strength icon] twice have the same effect?
>
> what news server?

From what I noticed it didn't do anything much. It took a while and
claimed to download messages, then it was disconnected and the messages
were not available with a message that I needed to connect to the server
to access them. Before it just showed an empty message field.

I have a hamster running on localhost, but the issue also affects
news.eternal-september.com and campaignwiki.org in the same way. So I
don't think it's something with the server.

Re: Loading message...

<uuoj43$4mtl$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3971&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3971

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 12:09:36 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 10:09 UTC

On 4/3/2024 2:39 PM, Kyonshi wrote:
> On 4/3/2024 12:30 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Kyonshi wrote:
>>
>>> In general it gets resolved by restarting Thunderbird, but it still
>>> is annoying having to restart the application all the time.
>>
>> Does clicking the offline/online button [button left, looks a bit like
>> a phone signal strength icon] twice have the same effect?
>>
>> what news server?
>
> From what I noticed it didn't do anything much. It took a while and
> claimed to download messages, then it was disconnected and the messages
> were not available with a message that I needed to connect to the server
> to access them. Before it just showed an empty message field.
>
> I have a hamster running on localhost, but the issue also affects
> news.eternal-september.com and campaignwiki.org in the same way. So I
> don't think it's something with the server.

Hmm, I think it might be connected with getting new messages from the
server. I am just not sure why it would make issues, after all it worked
before.

Re: Loading message...

<kvkaek-k83.ln1@pyrite.pyrite.ereborbbs.duckdns.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3994&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3994

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 15:51:16 +0200
 by: kyonshi - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 13:51 UTC

On Fri, 5 Apr 2024 12:09:36 +0200, Kyonshi wrote:

> On 4/3/2024 2:39 PM, Kyonshi wrote:

>>> Does clicking the offline/online button [button left, looks a bit like
>>> a phone signal strength icon] twice have the same effect?
>>>
>>> what news server?
>>
>> From what I noticed it didn't do anything much. It took a while and
>> claimed to download messages, then it was disconnected and the messages
>> were not available with a message that I needed to connect to the
>> server to access them. Before it just showed an empty message field.
>>
>> I have a hamster running on localhost, but the issue also affects
>> news.eternal-september.com and campaignwiki.org in the same way. So I
>> don't think it's something with the server.
>
> Hmm, I think it might be connected with getting new messages from the
> server. I am just not sure why it would make issues, after all it worked
> before.

Still the same issue. From what I can see getting new messages breaks
the newsreader part of Thunderbird.

Re: Loading message...

<uv075b$ehq5$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3996&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3996

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 09:38:09 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 07:38 UTC

On 4/7/2024 3:51 PM, kyonshi wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2024 12:09:36 +0200, Kyonshi wrote:

>>> From what I noticed it didn't do anything much. It took a while and
>>> claimed to download messages, then it was disconnected and the messages
>>> were not available with a message that I needed to connect to the
>>> server to access them. Before it just showed an empty message field.
>>>
>>> I have a hamster running on localhost, but the issue also affects
>>> news.eternal-september.com and campaignwiki.org in the same way. So I
>>> don't think it's something with the server.
>>
>> Hmm, I think it might be connected with getting new messages from the
>> server. I am just not sure why it would make issues, after all it worked
>> before.
>
> Still the same issue. From what I can see getting new messages breaks
> the newsreader part of Thunderbird.

Yep, I can replicate it by just clicking Get Messages on either my
Hamster or E-S account. So for some reason messages are pulled correctly
at startup, but as soon as the next pull happens it locks the
newsgroups. This affects new messages which have not been opened before.
So I assume I have the headers, and it tries to download the rest of the
message.
Is there a way to just download the whole message?

Re: Loading message...

<uvoirp$1ci02$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4053&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4053

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:03:58 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:03 UTC

On 4/8/2024 9:38 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
> On 4/7/2024 3:51 PM, kyonshi wrote:

>>> Hmm, I think it might be connected with getting new messages from the
>>> server. I am just not sure why it would make issues, after all it worked
>>> before.
>>
>> Still the same issue. From what I can see getting new messages breaks
>> the newsreader part of Thunderbird.
>

> Yep, I can replicate it by just clicking Get Messages on either my
> Hamster or E-S account. So for some reason messages are pulled correctly
> at startup, but as soon as the next pull happens it locks the
> newsgroups. This affects new messages which have not been opened before.
> So I assume I have the headers, and it tries to download the rest of the
> message.
> Is there a way to just download the whole message?

I guess nobody else has the same issue or any idea how to solve this?
I still experience it even after updating to 115.10.0

Re: Loading message...

<uvomjs$1l6gt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4054&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4054

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:33:32 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:33 UTC

Am 03.04.24 um 11:48 schrieb Kyonshi:
> Ok, maybe I am doing something wrong, but lately I have the issue that
> after a while of having Thunderbird running messages in newsgroups are
> stuck at "Loading Message..." without ever actually loading, and the
> same happens when trying to send message (I don't have an example right
> now, but it claims to be composing the message and doesn't stop).
> This doesn't seem to affect my email, but it does affect multiple
> newsnet servers (including an installation of Hamster that is running on
> localhost, so should not be affected by network issues).
>
> In general it gets resolved by restarting Thunderbird, but it still is
> annoying having to restart the application all the time.
>
> Anyone got an idea regarding this? Google only showed me answers for
> email, and that one seems fine.

My guess is and it is just a guess because I do not have the issues:

You have an issue with either

Hamster/Thunderbird
Hamster/i2pn2.org

Did you ever circumvent the Hamster?
Did you ever change the polling frequency (lower it)?

BTW: The Hamster is IMHO outdated.

Jörg

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Loading message...

<uvovq8$1d1ll$2@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4056&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4056

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:43:26 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:43 UTC

On 4/17/2024 4:33 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 03.04.24 um 11:48 schrieb Kyonshi:
>> Ok, maybe I am doing something wrong, but lately I have the issue that
>> after a while of having Thunderbird running messages in newsgroups are
>> stuck at "Loading Message..." without ever actually loading, and the
>> same happens when trying to send message (I don't have an example right
>> now, but it claims to be composing the message and doesn't stop).
>> This doesn't seem to affect my email, but it does affect multiple
>> newsnet servers (including an installation of Hamster that is running on
>> localhost, so should not be affected by network issues).
>>
>> In general it gets resolved by restarting Thunderbird, but it still is
>> annoying having to restart the application all the time.
>>
>> Anyone got an idea regarding this? Google only showed me answers for
>> email, and that one seems fine.
>
> My guess is and it is just a guess because I do not have the issues:

> You have an issue with either
>
> Hamster/Thunderbird
> Hamster/i2pn2.org
>
> Did you ever circumvent the Hamster?
> Did you ever change the polling frequency (lower it)?
>
> BTW: The Hamster is IMHO outdated.
>
> Jörg

Hello,
it shows up when connected to Eternal-september.org and i2pn2.org
directly as well, so I don't think it's an issue with Hamster itself.

The Hamster is quite outdated, but it's quite convenient to use with
multiple clients on my Windows system.

Re: Loading message...

<uvp068$1nabr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4058&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4058

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:16:56 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:16 UTC

On 17.04.2024 18:43, Kyonshi wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 4:33 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> Did you ever circumvent the Hamster?
>> Did you ever change the polling frequency (lower it)?
>>
>> BTW: The Hamster is IMHO outdated.
>>
>> Jörg
>>

> Hello,
> it shows up when connected to Eternal-september.org and i2pn2.org
> directly as well, so I don't think it's an issue with Hamster itself.

Do you have issues with your internet-connection?
What about the polling frequency?

> The Hamster is quite outdated, but it's quite convenient to use with
> multiple clients on my Windows system.

:-) I used it the last time around the year 2000 when I still used Windows.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: Loading message...

<uvp3jp$1d60g$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4060&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4060

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:51:26 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:51 UTC

On 4/17/2024 7:16 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 17.04.2024 18:43, Kyonshi wrote:
>> On 4/17/2024 4:33 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>>> Did you ever circumvent the Hamster?
>>> Did you ever change the polling frequency (lower it)?
>>>
>>> BTW: The Hamster is IMHO outdated.
>>>
>>> Jörg
>>>

>> Hello,
>> it shows up when connected to Eternal-september.org and i2pn2.org
>> directly as well, so I don't think it's an issue with Hamster itself.
>
> Do you have issues with your internet-connection?
> What about the polling frequency?
>
>> The Hamster is quite outdated, but it's quite convenient to use with
>> multiple clients on my Windows system.
>
> :-) I used it the last time around the year 2000 when I still used Windows.

Yeah, my Linux machine has leafnode installed, but that one isn't
available for Windows. And also pretty outdated I think.

Well, I don't think the internet connection should be ok as I am polling
both localhost (Hamster) and Eternal September. I have set both to get
messages every 45 minutes (from 15 earlier), but that didn't change
anything.
As soon as it tries to get new messages it gets blocked.

Re: Loading message...

<uvpbni$1pkqc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4063&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4063

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:33:54 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:33 UTC

On 17.04.2024 19:51, Kyonshi wrote:
> Well, I don't think the internet connection should be ok as I am polling
> both localhost (Hamster) and Eternal September. I have set both to get
> messages every 45 minutes (from 15 earlier), but that didn't change
> anything.
> As soon as it tries to get new messages it gets blocked.

I'm running out of ideas. Did you check the activity manager under
Tools? What did it say?

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: Loading message...

<uvqk0l$1ethk$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4070&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4070

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:51:12 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:51 UTC

On 4/17/2024 10:33 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 17.04.2024 19:51, Kyonshi wrote:
>> Well, I don't think the internet connection should be ok as I am polling
>> both localhost (Hamster) and Eternal September. I have set both to get
>> messages every 45 minutes (from 15 earlier), but that didn't change
>> anything.
>> As soon as it tries to get new messages it gets blocked.
>
> I'm running out of ideas. Did you check the activity manager under
> Tools? What did it say?

Yeah, I am also a bit stumped. I checked the Activity Manager and the
whole process doesn't show up. It only shows the process for my Gmail
account and if I wait long enough for my RSS feeds, but the newsgroups
just don't show up here.

Now, as I mentioned before it doesn't mean it doesn't pull news at all.
When I start the application it pulls without issues and is usable after
until the next pull. But if the process starts afterwards it somehow
gets stuck.

Re: Loading message...

<l8crpgF6glgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4071&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4071

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 17:15:59 +0200
 by: occam - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:15 UTC

On 03/04/2024 11:48, Kyonshi wrote:
> Ok, maybe I am doing something wrong, but lately I have the issue that
> after a while of having Thunderbird running messages in newsgroups are
> stuck at "Loading Message..." without ever actually loading, and the
> same happens when trying to send message (I don't have an example right
> now, but it claims to be composing the message and doesn't stop).

I also get this ( my usenet provider is news.individual.net). For me
this behaviour coincided with the major update from TB v102 -> TB 115.

Can I ask do you also get the TB warning message "Connection to server
news.eternal-september.org was reset"? (You mentioned you use eternal
september.org).

My email is unaffected.

> This doesn't seem to affect my email, but it does affect multiple
> newsnet servers (including an installation of Hamster that is running on
> localhost, so should not be affected by network issues).
>

> In general it gets resolved by restarting Thunderbird, but it still is
> annoying having to restart the application all the time.
>
> Anyone got an idea regarding this? Google only showed me answers for
> email, and that one seems fine.

Re: Loading message...

<uvt8dg$1iahg$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4080&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4080

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 09:39:06 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 07:39 UTC

On 4/18/2024 5:15 PM, occam wrote:
> On 03/04/2024 11:48, Kyonshi wrote:
>> Ok, maybe I am doing something wrong, but lately I have the issue that
>> after a while of having Thunderbird running messages in newsgroups are
>> stuck at "Loading Message..." without ever actually loading, and the
>> same happens when trying to send message (I don't have an example right
>> now, but it claims to be composing the message and doesn't stop).
>
> I also get this ( my usenet provider is news.individual.net). For me
> this behaviour coincided with the major update from TB v102 -> TB 115.
>
> Can I ask do you also get the TB warning message "Connection to server
> news.eternal-september.org was reset"? (You mentioned you use eternal
> september.org).
>
> My email is unaffected.

I do get the message, but only with remote servers. As I am using
Hamster as a local proxy this doesn't show up when using the server on
localhost.

Re: Loading message...

<l8emrsFeb9eU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4081&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4081

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 09:04:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 08:04 UTC

occam wrote:

> I also get this ( my usenet provider is news.individual.net). For me
> this behaviour coincided with the major update from TB v102 -> TB 115.
>
> Can I ask do you also get the TB warning message "Connection to server
> news.eternal-september.org was reset"? (You mentioned you use eternal
> september.org).

individual.net is my main newsserver and no issues, the one that almost
always times out etc is a giganews server, I don't use eternal much
nowadays.

Re: Loading message...

<l8f1u1Fgjv2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4082&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4082

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:13:05 +0200
 by: occam - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:13 UTC

On 19/04/2024 10:04, Andy Burns wrote:
> occam wrote:
>
>> I also get this ( my usenet provider is news.individual.net).  For me
>> this behaviour coincided with the major update from TB v102 -> TB 115.
>>
>> Can I ask do you also get the TB warning message "Connection to server
>> news.eternal-september.org was reset"? (You mentioned you use eternal
>> september.org).
>
> individual.net is my main newsserver and no issues, the one that almost
> always times out etc is a giganews server, I don't use eternal much
> nowadays.

The point Andy is that I get the TB warning both when I access
eternal-september.org AND news.individual.net. The reset message
changes, but failure to post messages (first time) happens with both.

Re: Loading message...

<uvtkob$2vku5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4084&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4084

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 07:32:26 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:32 UTC

On 4/19/2024 7:13 AM, occam wrote:
> On 19/04/2024 10:04, Andy Burns wrote:
>> occam wrote:
>>
>>> I also get this ( my usenet provider is news.individual.net).  For me
>>> this behaviour coincided with the major update from TB v102 -> TB 115.
>>>
>>> Can I ask do you also get the TB warning message "Connection to server
>>> news.eternal-september.org was reset"? (You mentioned you use eternal
>>> september.org).
>>
>> individual.net is my main newsserver and no issues, the one that almost
>> always times out etc is a giganews server, I don't use eternal much
>> nowadays.
>>

> The point Andy is that I get the TB warning both when I access
> eternal-september.org AND news.individual.net. The reset message
> changes, but failure to post messages (first time) happens with both.

Trace with Wireshark and see if actual RST packets are incoming.

I would think the short-hold-time connections that modern news servers
use, they would have a "smoother" way than an RST, of ending
a session. While you are sitting there, the client may log in
several times before the packet is sent. Maybe there is a "logout"
or a "Good Bye" to end the short connection.

When we first started with USENET clients, you could be connected
for 15 minutes, and not be doing anything the whole time. Now,
a connection could last ten seconds. When you are sitting around
at your desk, the connection would be dropped. And before your send
is completed, the client might have to log in again. This should be transparent
and not accompanied by a barrage of error messages. Error messages
imply that an unexpected event happened. An RST would not be
an expected outcome.

Change to port 119 if possible, so you can view the packet contents
in Wireshark. But you can at least see whether RST are on the link,
even if an encrypted connection is in place.

Each USENET protocol message has an integer number (like "221")
and human readable text strings.

Paul

Re: Loading message...

<l8f4l5Fh1sfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4085&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4085

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:59:33 +0200
 by: occam - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:59 UTC

On 19/04/2024 13:32, Paul wrote:
> On 4/19/2024 7:13 AM, occam wrote:

>>> individual.net is my main newsserver and no issues, the one that almost
>>> always times out etc is a giganews server, I don't use eternal much
>>> nowadays.
>>>

>> The point Andy is that I get the TB warning both when I access
>> eternal-september.org AND news.individual.net. The reset message
>> changes, but failure to post messages (first time) happens with both.
>>

> Trace with Wireshark and see if actual RST packets are incoming.

Thanks Paul. You gave me the same advice a couple of months ago. I
installed Wireshark, but unfortunately I got nowhere. I could not
figure out how to work Wireshark. Beyond my competence.

If you have any other suggestions without Wireshark, feel free.

> I would think the short-hold-time connections that modern news servers
> use, they would have a "smoother" way than an RST, of ending
> a session. While you are sitting there, the client may log in
> several times before the packet is sent. Maybe there is a "logout"
> or a "Good Bye" to end the short connection.
>
> When we first started with USENET clients, you could be connected
> for 15 minutes, and not be doing anything the whole time. Now,
> a connection could last ten seconds. When you are sitting around
> at your desk, the connection would be dropped. And before your send
> is completed, the client might have to log in again. This should be transparent
> and not accompanied by a barrage of error messages. Error messages
> imply that an unexpected event happened. An RST would not be
> an expected outcome.
>
> Change to port 119 if possible, so you can view the packet contents
> in Wireshark. But you can at least see whether RST are on the link,
> even if an encrypted connection is in place.
>
> Each USENET protocol message has an integer number (like "221")
> and human readable text strings.
>
> Paul

Re: Loading message...

<uvtnni$30616$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4086&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4086

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:23:14 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:23 UTC

On 19.04.24 13:13, occam wrote:
> On 19/04/2024 10:04, Andy Burns wrote:
>> occam wrote:
>>
>>> I also get this ( my usenet provider is news.individual.net).  For me
>>> this behaviour coincided with the major update from TB v102 -> TB 115.
>>>
>>> Can I ask do you also get the TB warning message "Connection to server
>>> news.eternal-september.org was reset"? (You mentioned you use eternal
>>> september.org).
>>
>> individual.net is my main newsserver and no issues, the one that almost
>> always times out etc is a giganews server, I don't use eternal much
>> nowadays.
>>

> The point Andy is that I get the TB warning both when I access
> eternal-september.org AND news.individual.net. The reset message
> changes, but failure to post messages (first time) happens with both.

I use both for years with TB and never ever had an issue.
Uninstall TB and reinstall after a restart.

Or create a new user profile on your machine and set up new accounts in
your TB.

--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: Loading message...

<uvtnrg$3098p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4087&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4087

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:25:20 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:25 UTC

On 19.04.24 14:23, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> On 19.04.24 13:13, occam wrote:

>>> individual.net is my main newsserver and no issues, the one that almost
>>> always times out etc is a giganews server, I don't use eternal much
>>> nowadays.
>>>

>> The point Andy is that I get the TB warning both when I access
>> eternal-september.org AND news.individual.net. The reset message
>> changes, but failure to post messages (first time) happens with both.
>
> I use both for years with TB and never ever had an issue.
> Uninstall TB and reinstall after a restart.
>
> Or create a new user profile on your machine and set up new accounts in
> your TB.

Or set up at least a new profile in TB and check whether the problem
still exists.

--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: Loading message...

<uvtp1q$1j1jb$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4088&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4088

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:37:51 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:37 UTC

On 4/18/2024 9:51 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 10:33 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> On 17.04.2024 19:51, Kyonshi wrote:
>>> Well, I don't think the internet connection should be ok as I am polling
>>> both localhost (Hamster) and Eternal September. I have set both to get
>>> messages every 45 minutes (from 15 earlier), but that didn't change
>>> anything.
>>> As soon as it tries to get new messages it gets blocked.
>>
>> I'm running out of ideas. Did you check the activity manager under
>> Tools? What did it say?
>>

> Yeah, I am also a bit stumped. I checked the Activity Manager and the
> whole process doesn't show up. It only shows the process for my Gmail
> account and if I wait long enough for my RSS feeds, but the newsgroups
> just don't show up here.
>
> Now, as I mentioned before it doesn't mean it doesn't pull news at all.
> When I start the application it pulls without issues and is usable after
> until the next pull. But if the process starts afterwards it somehow
> gets stuck.

I switched to Betterbird for now and imported the Thunderbird profile.
Here the activity manager shows a process that is updating the index,
during which it shows the same signs as with Thunderbird, but after a
few seconds it works.
I switched back to Thunderbird and the activity did not show up and the
process got stuck.

So it seems switching to Betterbird is a solution.
It might be connected with the indexing of the mails. I will have to
look into that.

Re: Loading message...

<uvtsv9$31ajb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4089&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4089

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 15:52:40 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:52 UTC

On 19.04.24 14:37, Kyonshi wrote:
> On 4/18/2024 9:51 AM, Kyonshi wrote:
>> Now, as I mentioned before it doesn't mean it doesn't pull news at all.
>> When I start the application it pulls without issues and is usable after
>> until the next pull. But if the process starts afterwards it somehow
>> gets stuck.
>
> I switched to Betterbird for now and imported the Thunderbird profile.
> Here the activity manager shows a process that is updating the index,
> during which it shows the same signs as with Thunderbird, but after a
> few seconds it works.
> I switched back to Thunderbird and the activity did not show up and the
> process got stuck.
>
> So it seems switching to Betterbird is a solution.
> It might be connected with the indexing of the mails. I will have to
> look into that.

Test a new profile in TB and/or uninstall and reinstall TB.

--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: Loading message...

<uvttrd$31hnj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4091&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4091

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:07:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:07 UTC

On 4/19/2024 7:59 AM, occam wrote:
> On 19/04/2024 13:32, Paul wrote:

>> Trace with Wireshark and see if actual RST packets are incoming.
>
> Thanks Paul. You gave me the same advice a couple of months ago. I
> installed Wireshark, but unfortunately I got nowhere. I could not
> figure out how to work Wireshark. Beyond my competence.
>
> If you have any other suggestions without Wireshark, feel free.

[Picture] Port 119 trace, Paganini session

https://i.postimg.cc/L5RwLLjh/wireshark-USENET.gif

There's not much to see there. No RST packets between
the two nodes in question. But there were RST packets
between Window and Microsoft (telemetry and sneaky stuff).

Even in the "View" menu, turning on all the Name Resolution
functions, some IP remain numeric and are not translated
(because they're not in DNS). Using a website for lookup,
shows the nodes are part of a Microsoft AS.

When you post a message via Port 119, the text string
is "POST". A post may take multiple packets, so you may see
several packets with conversational text in them.

Paul

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Loading message...