From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: OT: Re: Running legacy drivers
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:48:08 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 21:48 UTC

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 at 11:19:27, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:53:24 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> Ditto; I am still a 7 user, but support the odd 10-user (and some who
>> are not odd!).
>
>There's still a Windows 7 tips page, John:
>
><https://brownmath.com/general/7tip.htm>

Thanks! Looks useful. Three things:
1. You disabled Caps Lock (or made it another shift key) because you
kept hitting it accidentally. I've seen others do similar - I use the
built-in alert (it's buried in the accessibility options - called Toggle
Keys IIRR/), which leaves me access to Caps Lock (I do find it
_occasionally_ useful), but gives me a beep if I hit it accidentally (or
deliberately of course!). Actually it's two different beeps, one for on
and one for off, and works for all three lock keys. (I haven't seen
anything that _uses_ scroll lock for decades!)
2. For saving my desktop icon layout, I use iconoid. I just like the
idea of a website called https://www.sillysot.com/ (-:. [Says it works
under 10 and 11 too.]
3. You say (of the W7 'group "Google has chosen not to archive this one
newsgroup." AIUI, Google Groups only supports the groups that were in
existence when it was set up (or rather, when they took over Dejanews),
and even then not some of the alt.* 'groups; certainly, as the 7 'group
(and 10 and later, of course) was created after that, it doesn't.
(Accessing usenet via Google Groups is sad anyway, though some e. g.
'phone OSs may not have any other way of accessing usenet, at least
easily.)

Thanks again - another useful document!

>And a specialized one on curbing unneeded services in Windows 7:
>
><https://brownmath.com/general/7service.htm>

Well, I've applied your hint from the '7 document to stop
trustedinstaller going berserk, but the latter document ... hmm, seems
to be mainly to do with Acronis and iTunes, neither of which I have
used. My main irritating user of resources is svchost, which I know is
just a wrapper for other things, but when people have tried to help see
what, I just get brain-ache (-:. Services in general seem to be a can of
worms - some mention of Black Viper IIRR? - my main concern being that I
might turn something off which months later I find is needed, but I've
totally forgotten I turned it off.

[What's your guilty pleasure?] Why should you feel guilty about pleasure? -
Michel Roux Jr in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013