From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Betterbird and Thunderbird Profiles
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:27:59 +0200
 by: occam - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:27 UTC

I was under the impression that Betterbird (115.9.0-bb26 64-bit) uses
the same profile as Thunderbird, ever since TB version 102.x.

My usual quick way of synchronising my messages on my Desktop (Win 10
Home, TB 115.10.0 64-bit ) and my laptop (Win 7 Pro, using Betterbird)
is to copy the TB profile from the desktop and paste it into the Laptop
TB Profile folder.

When I did this today, it did not work.

I noticed a second funny looking profile on the laptop :
<ay1dyhcy.default-default> which is *different* to my standard
<file>.default Thunderbird profile.

Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Re: Betterbird and Thunderbird Profiles

<uvttim$318v1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4090&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4090

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Betterbird and Thunderbird Profiles
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:03:02 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:03 UTC

On 4/19/24 07:27 AM, occam wrote:
> I was under the impression that Betterbird (115.9.0-bb26 64-bit) uses
> the same profile as Thunderbird, ever since TB version 102.x.
>
> My usual quick way of synchronising my messages on my Desktop (Win 10
> Home, TB 115.10.0 64-bit ) and my laptop (Win 7 Pro, using Betterbird)
> is to copy the TB profile from the desktop and paste it into the Laptop
> TB Profile folder.
>
> When I did this today, it did not work.
>
> I noticed a second funny looking profile on the laptop :
> <ay1dyhcy.default-default> which is *different* to my standard
> <file>.default Thunderbird profile.
>
> Anyone know what is going on?
>
> Thanks

Open Menu->help->troubleshooting info, and open your profile folder.
Is that the same ayldychy.default? Did TB load with different add-ons/settings?

Occasionally with both FF and TB I find if there is an issue with the profile of a certain nature,
it creates a new profile. It's normally after I've edited a prefs.js file and screwed up. <grin>

If not, then I have no other input.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 5.15.0-105-generic
Al

Re: Betterbird and Thunderbird Profiles

<l8fqo3Fk7hsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4093&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#4093

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:16:35 +0200
 by: occam - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 18:16 UTC

On 19/04/2024 16:03, Big Al wrote:
> On 4/19/24 07:27 AM, occam wrote:
>> I was under the impression that Betterbird (115.9.0-bb26 64-bit) uses
>> the same profile as Thunderbird, ever since TB version 102.x.
>>
>> My usual quick way of synchronising my messages on my Desktop (Win 10
>> Home, TB 115.10.0 64-bit ) and my laptop (Win 7 Pro, using Betterbird)
>> is to copy the  TB profile from the desktop and paste it into the Laptop
>>   TB Profile folder.
>>
>> When I did this today, it did not work.
>>
>> I noticed a second funny looking profile on the laptop :
>> <ay1dyhcy.default-default>  which is *different* to my standard
>> <file>.default Thunderbird profile.
>>
>> Anyone know what is going on?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> Open Menu->help->troubleshooting info, and open your profile folder.
> Is that the same ayldychy.default?    Did TB load with different
> add-ons/settings?
>
> Occasionally with both FF and TB I find if there is an issue with the
> profile of a certain nature, it creates a new profile.   It's normally
> after I've edited a prefs.js file and screwed up. <grin>

Thanks Al. I went to profiles via troubleshooting info. I did not
realise my default profile had been reset to this
<ay1dyhcy.default-default>. I pointed it to my old <TB-profile>.default.
All is back to normal.

Thanks.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Betterbird and Thunderbird Profiles