You will be successful in your work.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / how do I undo what was installed from a website?

SubjectAuthor
* how do I undo what was installed from a website?Bill Evans
+* Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Paul
|`* Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Bill Evans
| `* Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Paul
|  `* Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Bill Evans
|   +* Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Paul
|   |`* Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Bill Evans
|   | +- Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Bobbie Sellers
|   | `- Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Gordon
|   `- Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Anssi Saari
+- Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Marco Moock
`- Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?Bill Evans

1
how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<uut9qh$2jrpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3993&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3993

From: billevSQR@netnit.com (Bill Evans)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: how do I undo what was installed from a website?
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 01:09:36 -0400
 by: Bill Evans - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 05:09 UTC

Hi,

I am an amateur radio operator who was going to try using a logging
program called CQRlog to log my radio contacts, but I have changed my
mind because it seems there are too many other packages needing
installed that go beyond my abilities.

For installation in 22.04, I used the instructions to install "lazarus"
and "git" and then attempted to compile using make. See here:

https://www.cqrlog.com/comment/10511#comment-10511

However, I have changed my mind and want to uninstall lazarus and git as
well as the compiled CQRlog. I would appreciate the proper commands for
the uninstallation and thank you in advance.

Bill

Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<uuth30$2ldge$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3994&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3994

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 03:13:34 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 07:13 UTC

On 4/7/2024 1:09 AM, Bill Evans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an amateur radio operator who was going to try using a logging program called CQRlog to log my radio contacts, but I have changed my mind because it seems there are too many other packages needing installed that go beyond my abilities.
>
> For installation in 22.04, I used the instructions to install "lazarus" and "git" and then attempted to compile using make.  See here:
>
> https://www.cqrlog.com/comment/10511#comment-10511
>
> However, I have changed my mind and want to uninstall lazarus and git as well as the compiled CQRlog.  I would appreciate the proper commands for the uninstallation and thank you in advance.
>
> Bill

Rule of thumb:

Any time you're off-roading on a computer,
doing something you have no experience with,
make a backup first. That's what I do.

In fact, if you change platforms, that's one of
the first tools you want to locate. "How do you
do backups on this platform?". Because, you'll be
needing it. There will always be pooh to step in,
and backups are for cleaning off your shoes.

Most platforms have "dd" or "disk dump". It can be
used for "safety backups", until you test a more
intelligent backup tool and prove to your own satisfaction
that the method really works. The box I'm on now,
that's what I did. I did a few "dd" of the whole
disk drive (takes hours), just so I could be
sure I had a "restore image I could trust".
Real backup tools take a lot less time (10 minutes).

*******

sudo synaptic # Or start it from your menu.

Find "lazarus" metapackage and select either "remove"
or select "complete removal". Either of them will neuter
the execution of the program. Their /usr/bin or similar
stuff, should be missing then. Click the "Apply" button
and verify that the expected dependency list is also
marked for Removal. If it threatens to remove your entire
Desktop Environment (DE), stop, close Synaptic program,
and ask for help. You always check what a command
"proposes to do", in case it's nuclear. Booby trapping
the tree, is a relatively new phenomenon, and years ago,
nobody did stuff like that. It never hurts to read what
is in that window, scroll down and verify.

Now "git", I assume that wasn't installed with the original
OS installation, so you can use Synaptic again, select "git"
and just that package should disappear. The git portion
of the repo has a ton of helpers, but on mine at least,
it doesn't look like all the helpers got loaded on mine.
So when I select "git" for "removal" in Synaptic, the
number of packages to be removed should be minimal.

*******

The next question would be, what build commands did you issue ?
This one, is harmless.

cd CQRlog_directory_name
make # Added some files to CQRlog_directory_name, nobody cares.

Whereas this one, is not.

sudo make install # Put stuff in /usr/bin, in some library area, some config area...

I normally do one of these first, before the previous command, to see
the steps it would have executed.

sudo make -n install # Don't allow the changes to go to the tree.

If you did actually "make install" then
now you have to check the Makefile with a text editor and
see if there is a remove: target. If there actually was
a remove target, then to counteract the previous command,
I could try this, but if there is no remove: target, then
this command cannot resolve your request.

sudo make remove

That's to remove the executable (if you got that far), from the slash tree.

And you MUST complete your tree-cleaning, before doing the next step.
If you did the next step first, then it would no longer be
possible to do "sudo make remove" or similar. You remove the
side-effects of your work, before cleaning up the scene of
the crime.

*******

When you ran git, to pull in source, you were cd'ed to
a certain directory. Go back and cd to that directory.

cd ~
cd Downloads
cd workdir
ls # Verify a CQRlog directory is there
rm -Rf CQRlog_directory_name # Could be some release numbers on the name

Alternately, the safer option, is use the Nautilus File Manager,
select the "CQRlog_directory_name" when you see it in the window
of that program, and toss it in the Trash. After that, check the
Trash, verify what's in the Trash, then select "Empty Trash"
to clean out the trash bucket.

Paul

Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<uuucta$2rjil$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3995&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3995

From: billevSQR@netnit.com (Bill Evans)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:08:24 -0400
 by: Bill Evans - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 15:08 UTC

On 4/7/24 3:13 AM, Paul wrote:
> [...]
> If you did the next step first, then it would no longer be
> possible to do "sudo make remove" or similar. You remove the
> side-effects of your work, before cleaning up the scene of
> the crime.
>
> *******
>
> When you ran git, to pull in source, you were cd'ed to
> a certain directory. Go back and cd to that directory.
>
> cd ~
> cd Downloads
> cd workdir
> ls # Verify a CQRlog directory is there
> rm -Rf CQRlog_directory_name # Could be some release numbers on the name
>
> Alternately, the safer option, is use the Nautilus File Manager,
> select the "CQRlog_directory_name" when you see it in the window
> of that program, and toss it in the Trash. After that, check the
> Trash, verify what's in the Trash, then select "Empty Trash"

Thanks for the help, but I have some questions:
Synaptic reveals several versions of Lazarus as shown in this screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/VJdZyV9.png
If I just mark "lazarus" for complete removal, the others are NOT
highlighted to be removed as well. Therefore, should I also be marking
"lazarus-2.2", "lazarus-ide-gtk2", etc... basically everything with
"lazarus" in the name here, or ? Also, I understand "fpc" was also
installed at the same time (according to
https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2021/11/install-lazarus-ide-ubuntu/).
Should I do a complete removal by marking "fpc-source-3.2.2"? What
about the "lcl-2.2" and others?
Interestingly, Lazarus 2.2.0 also appears in the Software center as
installed (with removal option):
https://i.imgur.com/QdXNgH9.png

At least "git" is much simpler with only a single entry to remove. It
also does NOT appear as Lazarus does in the Software center.
As for the next commands, the order is shown as indicated in the cqrlog
post that I linked to, but will repeat here:
git clone https://github.com/ok2cqr/cqrlog.git
cd cqrlog
make
sudo make install
After the steps from git clone to sudo make install were done, CQRlog
then appeared in my programs. Of course, when I tried to open, I get
the messages about more files needed and that's when I decided to not
use it. It appears in my programs list as well as the Software Center
with the uninstall option.
I'm a bit lost when you begin discussing the build commands, which is
why I repeated them here. Where is the Makefile located? In the CQRlog
directory?
"And you MUST complete your tree-cleaning, before doing the next step.
If you did the next step first, then it would no longer be
possible to do "sudo make remove" or similar. You remove the
side-effects of your work, before cleaning up the scene of
the crime."
Sorry, I don't follow. How do I complete the "tree-cleaning" and such?
Since CQRlog is showing in the Software Center with uninstall option,
might it be simpler to just uninstall it from there? As a side note,
interestingly, although CQRlog shows up in Synaptic, it does not show as
installed even though it does in the Software Center.

Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<uuun7j$2u28s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3996&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3996

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 14:04:33 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 18:04 UTC

On 4/7/2024 11:08 AM, Bill Evans wrote:

> Thanks for the help, but I have some questions:
>
> Synaptic reveals several versions of Lazarus as shown in this screenshot:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/VJdZyV9.png
>
> If I just mark "lazarus" for complete removal, the others are NOT highlighted to be removed as well.  Therefore, should I also be marking "lazarus-2.2", "lazarus-ide-gtk2", etc... basically everything with "lazarus" in the name here, or ?  Also, I understand "fpc" was also installed at the same time (according to https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2021/11/install-lazarus-ide-ubuntu/).  Should I do a complete removal by marking "fpc-source-3.2.2"?  What about the "lcl-2.2" and others?
>
> Interestingly, Lazarus 2.2.0 also appears in the Software center as installed (with removal option):
>
> https://i.imgur.com/QdXNgH9.png
>

> At least "git" is much simpler with only a single entry to remove.  It also does NOT appear as Lazarus does in the Software center.
>
> As for the next commands, the order is shown as indicated in the cqrlog post that I linked to, but will repeat here:
>
> git clone https://github.com/ok2cqr/cqrlog.git
> cd cqrlog
> make
> sudo make install
>
> After the steps from git clone to sudo make install were done, CQRlog then appeared in my programs.  Of course, when I tried to open, I get the messages about more files needed and that's when I decided to not use it.  It appears in my programs list as well as the Software Center with the uninstall option.
>
> I'm a bit lost when you begin discussing the build commands, which is why I repeated them here.  Where is the Makefile located?  In the CQRlog directory?
>
> "And you MUST complete your tree-cleaning, before doing the next step.
> If you did the next step first, then it would no longer be
> possible to do "sudo make remove" or similar. You remove the
> side-effects of your work, before cleaning up the scene of
> the crime."
>
> Sorry, I don't follow.  How do I complete the "tree-cleaning" and such?
>
> Since CQRlog is showing in the Software Center with uninstall option, might it be simpler to just uninstall it from there?  As a side note, interestingly, although CQRlog shows up in Synaptic, it does not show as installed even though it does in the Software Center.

When you select "lazarus" as a metapackage, it seems to have selected elements
of the latest version for inclusion in the install.

By selecting lazarus for removal, in principle at least, it should be
removing the 2.2 version items install. If it did not, you could use the
search to list all lazarus instances, and manually remove the subpackages
if any remained installed.

When the boxes are empty, the files are not on the machine (fresh install).
The listing is a list of things the Repository has. When the boxes are
filled ("ticked"), like in the 2.2 version items, then at some point the
files were downloaded and installed. When you do the remove, the files
should be removed from active participation in your tree. OSes always have
caching mechanisms, and if you were tight for space, it might be a
significant effort to remove them all. Perhaps "complete removal"
ensures that any .deb files still on the machine and related to that,
are removed.

There are also commands for the package manager, that notice dependencies
that don't have a master program, and those can be removed automatically.
Sometimes on a Software Update, you will notice an effort is being
made to consolidate the contents of the tree, so only "wired together stuff"
is kept.

But for the time being, I interpret your request as "how do I prevent what
I've done from interfering with normal day to day operation". I have
not gone the extra mile to "make my slash as small as possible". That's
out of my pay scale. Don't know how to do it. Would take hours and
hours of research. I've used several OSes where I don't know how to
do that, comprehensively and with confidence. That's "work" as it were.
I do clean out browser caches, because at least I could find those.

*******

During your build, if you do

sudo make install

then that puts items in /usr/bin or /usr/lib or the like. To prevent
interference with day to day operation, maybe you would want to remove
/usr/bin/CQRlog executable.

If you go back to the build directory and run

sudo make -n install

and do a dry run, the trace in the window will give you some idea
where it has stored its stuff. You could manually go into the tree
and remove the items. But I don't recommend doing that unless you're
good at that sort of forensics.

Executing sudo make -n install does not always run to completion.
The command can fail at some point, because it's not really installing
stuff, and some order-of-execution issue might affect its ability to
complete. I use commands like that (without EVER installing the package),
to see what the build tools think the important items are. Like whether
it installs libraries or not.

Makefiles can be in each subfolder of the build tree. Each subfolder
needs to be told what to do when make sees "source.c" and that it
should be compiled to "source.o". The template at the top level,
such as Makefile.in , it can inform the ./configure run, how
to build a custom Makefile in each subfolder. Using ./configure,
is one way to have the build tree make custom Makefile items.
Before ./configure came along, the Makefile was static and the
build was "one flavor only". You wouldn't even need a template, if
there was only one way to use the build tree, so each subfolder
would have a pre-made Makefile.

But you would normally be CDed to the top level of the build, when
you did the build or when you did the install. By being at the
top of the build tree, all of the install materials from
all of the subfolders, are considered. And the Makefile
will have an "install: " target followed by a list of
module names, like "source.so.2" shared library.

Make is not the only build tool. There is CMAKE, Ninja, I don't
think I can do a credible job of listing all of them. I don't like
all of them equally, because some are a rat bastard to get working,
as if the developer just doesn't care.

Adobe released a CMAKE one once, where they failed to integrate the
"demo app" into the tree, and it took me *one week* of work to fix that.
Then I discover the "demo app" is utter crap. And that really
explains it all -- no end-user got as close as I did, because
the build tree was broken. I did the extra work to discover
the developer of it... was a "munchkin" :-\ But that's how it
goes when you compile from source. That's part of the terrain.

I've also acquired FOSS tarballs, where one file is missing
on purpose, because the individual "wanted free storage for
their executable", but did not want people compiling from
source. I've had a variety of experience with this stuff,
and there are more than a few scumbags out there.

*******

Leaving library items behind is only an issue if it interferes
with some other, later project. I would put in an effort to
see they are removed. Maybe they can be spotted by their
datestamp, and a simple listing in time order, will identify them.

Paul

Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<uuvtq9$3a36l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3997&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3997

From: billevSQR@netnit.com (Bill Evans)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 01:03:05 -0400
 by: Bill Evans - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 05:03 UTC

On 4/7/24 2:04 PM, Paul wrote:
> [...]
> Then I discover the "demo app" is utter crap. And that really
> explains it all -- no end-user got as close as I did, because
> the build tree was broken. I did the extra work to discover
> the developer of it... was a "munchkin" :-\ But that's how it
> goes when you compile from source. That's part of the terrain.
>
> I've also acquired FOSS tarballs, where one file is missing
> on purpose, because the individual "wanted free storage for
> their executable", but did not want people compiling from
> source. I've had a variety of experience with this stuff,
> and there are more than a few scumbags out there.
>
> *******
>
> Leaving library items behind is only an issue if it interferes
> with some other, later project. I would put in an effort to
> see they are removed. Maybe they can be spotted by their
> datestamp, and a simple listing in time order, will identify them.

I decided to go with my most recent back up, from late Jan, 2024. Most
of what had changed were emails and browser, so just transferred over
the config files and good to go. I didn't feel confident trying to
uninstall the tools and the compiled program without messing something
up. Needless to say, I WON'T be trying to use this program again
anytime soon. I've tried installing it in the past and was never able
to get it working correctly even then. It does have a lot of features
if I ever did get it working, but I use a much lighter and easier to
install program that is adequate. Only issue is that the one I use
hadn't been updated for over 5 years, so I suppose one day that it will
stop working but for now it works fine. Thanks again for trying to help

Click here to read the complete article
Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<uv07rs$3ce7j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3998&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3998

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 03:54:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 07:54 UTC

On 4/8/2024 1:03 AM, Bill Evans wrote:

> I decided to go with my most recent back up, from late Jan, 2024.  Most of what had changed were emails and browser, so just transferred over the config files and good to go.  I didn't feel confident trying to uninstall the tools and the compiled program without messing something up.  Needless to say, I WON'T be trying to use this program again anytime soon.  I've tried installing it in the past and was never able to get it working correctly even then.  It does have a lot of features if I ever did get it working, but I use a much lighter and easier to install program that is adequate.  Only issue is that the one I use hadn't been updated for over 5 years, so I suppose one day that it will stop working but for now it works fine.  Thanks again for trying to help

I doubt you would screw things up.

Really, the biggest liability, might be something left
in the tree after

sudo make install

But there may be ways to work on that, such as listing
all files by date. And noting the particular day
you blasted them in.

*******

These are two commands for listing files
or listing directories, into output listings.

cd ~/Downloads

df # This lists various mounted file systems, like from the automounter

# In the example, a limited portion of tree is being listed, but you can use / instead

find /media/WIN2KAS -type d -exec ls -al -1 -d --full-time {} + > directories.txt
find /media/WIN2KAS -type f -exec ls -al -1 --full-time {} + > filelist.txt

And just for you, this version of the filelist example,
will make it so that column one is a timestamp suited to
sorting in LibreOffice Calc. There are two timestamps plus the filename.
The first field has been made ten digits wide, with leading 0 added
if the field is not wide enough to make ten digits. In LibreOffice Calc
you can use Data:Sort just like excel, with a default extended selection.

sudo find /media/WIN2KAS -type f -exec stat --printf='%010Y %y %n\n' {} + > statlist.txt

Paul

Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<uv094f$3clqu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3999&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3999

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:16:15 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:16 UTC

On 07.04.2024 um 01:09 Uhr Bill Evans wrote:

> However, I have changed my mind and want to uninstall lazarus and git
> as well as the compiled CQRlog. I would appreciate the proper
> commands for the uninstallation and thank you in advance.

Have a look at /var/log/apt/history.log

It shows which packages were installed by what command.

sudo apt remove lazarus git
Always have a look what it wants to remove, otherwise you might break
your system.

Then
sudo apt autoremove
Exactly check what it wants to remove before confirming it!

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to 1712444976muell@cartoonies.org

Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<uv1hkd$3mknk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4000&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#4000

From: billevSQR@netnit.com (Bill Evans)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:47:25 -0400
 by: Bill Evans - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:47 UTC

On 4/8/24 3:54 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 4/8/2024 1:03 AM, Bill Evans wrote:
>
>> I decided to go with my most recent back up, from late Jan, 2024.  Most of what had changed were emails and browser, so just transferred over the config files and good to go.  I didn't feel confident trying to uninstall the tools and the compiled program without messing something up.  Needless to say, I WON'T be trying to use this program again anytime soon.  I've tried installing it in the past and was never able to get it working correctly even then.  It does have a lot of features if I ever did get it working, but I use a much lighter and easier to install program that is adequate.  Only issue is that the one I use hadn't been updated for over 5 years, so I suppose one day that it will stop working but for now it works fine.  Thanks again for trying to help
>
> I doubt you would screw things up.
>
> Really, the biggest liability, might be something left
> in the tree after
>
> sudo make install
>
> But there may be ways to work on that, such as listing
> all files by date. And noting the particular day
> you blasted them in.
>
> *******
>
> These are two commands for listing files
> or listing directories, into output listings.
>
> cd ~/Downloads
>
> df # This lists various mounted file systems, like from the automounter
>
> # In the example, a limited portion of tree is being listed, but you can use / instead
>
> find /media/WIN2KAS -type d -exec ls -al -1 -d --full-time {} + > directories.txt
> find /media/WIN2KAS -type f -exec ls -al -1 --full-time {} + > filelist.txt
>
> And just for you, this version of the filelist example,
> will make it so that column one is a timestamp suited to
> sorting in LibreOffice Calc. There are two timestamps plus the filename.
> The first field has been made ten digits wide, with leading 0 added
> if the field is not wide enough to make ten digits. In LibreOffice Calc
> you can use Data:Sort just like excel, with a default extended selection.
>
> sudo find /media/WIN2KAS -type f -exec stat --printf='%010Y %y %n\n' {} + > statlist.txt
>
> Paul
I appreciate this and will try and refer to it in the future, but I'm
considering installing a "system restore" feature, similar to Win, if
one is available for Ubuntu, similar to one like featured here:

https://ostechnix.com/systemback-restore-ubuntu-desktop-and-server-to-previous-state/
Not sure about the software there, but I do wonder if anyone can
recommend something similar so the next time, I simply take a snapshot
before installation and, if no good, restore to original snapshot?

Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<uv1inq$3mrcg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4001&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#4001

From: bliss-sf4ever@dslextreme.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 13:06:18 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 20:06 UTC

On 4/8/24 12:47, Bill Evans wrote:

Following this with some interest. The simplest way to restore a Linux
system is to copy your data aka "/home" to a suitable media such
as a Flash Drive and reinstall your system then copy data back to your
to the new "/home" partition.

Good luck with this advice but it is the shortest way back to a useable
device and maybe the simplest. You might want to do backups on a
frequent basis.

bliss- Dell Precision 7730- PCLOS 2024.04- Linux 6.6.25- Plasma 5.27.11

<l7ju3fFbrtvU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4002&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#4002

From: Gordon@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: 9 Apr 2024 04:22:08 GMT
 by: Gordon - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 04:22 UTC

On 2024-04-08, Bill Evans <billevSQR@netnit.com> wrote:
> On 4/8/24 3:54 AM, Paul wrote:
>> On 4/8/2024 1:03 AM, Bill Evans wrote:
>>
>>> I decided to go with my most recent back up, from late Jan, 2024.  Most of what had changed were emails and browser, so just transferred over the config files and good to go.  I didn't feel confident trying to uninstall the tools and the compiled program without messing something up.  Needless to say, I WON'T be trying to use this program again anytime soon.  I've tried installing it in the past and was never able to get it working correctly even then.  It does have a lot of features if I ever did get it working, but I use a much lighter and easier to install program that is adequate.  Only issue is that the one I use hadn't been updated for over 5 years, so I suppose one day that it will stop working but for now it works fine.  Thanks again for trying to help
>>
>> I doubt you would screw things up.
>>
>> Really, the biggest liability, might be something left
>> in the tree after
>>
>> sudo make install
>>
>> But there may be ways to work on that, such as listing
>> all files by date. And noting the particular day
>> you blasted them in.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> These are two commands for listing files
>> or listing directories, into output listings.
>>
>> cd ~/Downloads
>>
>> df # This lists various mounted file systems, like from the automounter
>>
>> # In the example, a limited portion of tree is being listed, but you can use / instead
>>
>> find /media/WIN2KAS -type d -exec ls -al -1 -d --full-time {} + > directories.txt
>> find /media/WIN2KAS -type f -exec ls -al -1 --full-time {} + > filelist.txt
>>
>> And just for you, this version of the filelist example,
>> will make it so that column one is a timestamp suited to
>> sorting in LibreOffice Calc. There are two timestamps plus the filename.
>> The first field has been made ten digits wide, with leading 0 added
>> if the field is not wide enough to make ten digits. In LibreOffice Calc
>> you can use Data:Sort just like excel, with a default extended selection.
>>
>> sudo find /media/WIN2KAS -type f -exec stat --printf='%010Y %y %n\n' {} + > statlist.txt
>>
>> Paul
>
> I appreciate this and will try and refer to it in the future, but I'm
> considering installing a "system restore" feature, similar to Win, if
> one is available for Ubuntu, similar to one like featured here:
>

> https://ostechnix.com/systemback-restore-ubuntu-desktop-and-server-to-previous-state/
>
> Not sure about the software there, but I do wonder if anyone can
> recommend something similar so the next time, I simply take a snapshot
> before installation and, if no good, restore to original snapshot?

Have a look at Timeshift. https://github.com/linuxmint/timeshift

As noted here and elsewhere snapshots go better/faster with Btrfs or zfs
file systems.

Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<sm08r1n6i5m.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4003&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#4003

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 11:43:01 +0300
sha1:0psGh0OBwmcjFmaf5PTuJKxoy1c=
 by: Anssi Saari - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 08:43 UTC

Bill Evans <billevSQR@netnit.com> writes:

> I didn't feel confident trying to uninstall the tools and the compiled
> program without messing something up.

In this specific case the uninstall would've been easy. I took a look
and the Makefile has simply a bunch of install and cp commands so
figuring out which files were copied where would've been easy enough, if
tedious. OTOH, there's no harm having a few (dozen?) extra files on your
system either.

This is the install target from the Makefile:

install:
install -d -v $(bindir)
install -d -v $(datadir)
install -d -v $(datadir)/ctyfiles

install -d -v $(datadir)/help
install -d -v $(datadir)/help/img
install -d -v $(datadir)/members
install -d -v $(datadir)/xplanet
install -d -v $(datadir)/voice_keyer
install -d -v $(datadir)/zipcodes
install -d -v $(datadir)/images
install -d -v $(datadir)/images/icon/32x32
install -d -v $(datadir)/images/icon/64x64
install -d -v $(datadir)/images/icon/128x128
install -d -v $(datadir)/images/icon/256x256
install -d -v $(sharedir)/pixmaps/cqrlog
install -d -v $(sharedir)/icons/cqrlog
install -d -v $(sharedir)/applications
install -d -v $(sharedir)/appdata
install -d -v $(sharedir)/man/man1
install -v -m 0755 src/cqrlog $(bindir)
install -v -m 0755 tools/cqrlog-apparmor-fix $(datadir)/cqrlog-apparmor-fix
install -v -m 0644 ctyfiles/* $(datadir)/ctyfiles/
install -v -m 0644 help/img/* $(datadir)/help/img/
install -v -m 0644 help/*.* $(datadir)/help/
install -v -m 0644 members/* $(datadir)/members/
install -v -m 0644 xplanet/* $(datadir)/xplanet/
install -v -m 0755 voice_keyer/voice_keyer.sh $(datadir)/voice_keyer/voice_keyer.sh
install -v -m 0644 voice_keyer/README $(datadir)/voice_keyer/README
install -v -m 0644 voice_keyer/F10.mp3 $(datadir)/voice_keyer/F10.mp3
install -v -m 0644 zipcodes/* $(datadir)/zipcodes/

cp -v -R images/* $(datadir)/images
cp -v -R images/icon/* $(sharedir)/icons/cqrlog
cp -v -R images/icon/* $(sharedir)/pixmaps/cqrlog

install -v -m 0644 tools/cqrlog.desktop $(sharedir)/applications/cqrlog.desktop
install -v -m 0644 tools/cqrlog.appdata.xml $(sharedir)/appdata/cqrlog.appdata.xml
install -v -m 0644 images/icon/32x32/cqrlog.png $(sharedir)/pixmaps/cqrlog/cqrlog.png
install -v -m 0644 images/icon/128x128/cqrlog.png $(sharedir)/icons/cqrlog.png
install -v -m 0644 src/changelog.html $(datadir)/changelog.html
install -v -m 0644 tools/cqrlog.1.gz $(sharedir)/man/man1/cqrlog.1.gz

Re: how do I undo what was installed from a website?

<uv41s8$cpf6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4004&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#4004

From: billevSQR@netnit.com (Bill Evans)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:36:56 -0400
 by: Bill Evans - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 18:36 UTC

So I guess the hardest part of always restoring backups is that, since I
Clonezilla from drive to drive, when I then plug the external hard drive
in to access files needed for the older backup, I am met with double the
partitions of the same name as the originals (since the back up is an
identical hard drive copy of the most recent OS). At first, I wasn't
sure how to get around it because I wasn't sure I was copying from the
correct partition, but going into "disks" solves the issue since the
drive is identified (my back up is on a Toshiba USB hd) and a link is
provided to access the drive. No more confusion then. Thank goodness
for "discs" for sure! I do keep GParted handy, but don't use it as
often as the former.