"You can have my Unix system when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers." -- Cal Keegan

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: telnet command to issue audible alert?

SubjectAuthor
* telnet command to issue audible alert?Hugh Johns
+* Re: telnet command to issue audible alert?Paul
|+- Re: telnet command to issue audible alert?Josef Möllers
|`- Re: telnet command to issue audible alert?Anton Ertl
`- Re: telnet command to issue audible alert?Mr. Man-wai Chang

1
telnet command to issue audible alert?

<uumn84$pbr4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3986&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3986

From: hugh_j_5788@nospam.net (Hugh Johns)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: telnet command to issue audible alert?
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 13:15:48 -0400
 by: Hugh Johns - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 17:15 UTC

Running telnet on 22.04. Is there a command to issue an audible alert
when new data appears? Thanks.

Re: telnet command to issue audible alert?

<uung3u$v68k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3987&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3987

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: telnet command to issue audible alert?
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 20:20:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 00:20 UTC

On 4/4/2024 1:15 PM, Hugh Johns wrote:
> Running telnet on 22.04.  Is there a command to issue an audible alert when new data appears?  Thanks.

Telnet is interactive, not job or batch based.

There is no reason for the feature to exist in the way you want it.

When you have a Telex machine dialed into Reuters, Reuters sends
<ctrl>-G, the bell character, indicating "incoming article". The
BEL character 0x07 hex, was intended for the "alert function".
Sometimes they would send individual news articles over the Telex,
and an operator would not know something was coming in, unless
they happened to hear the BEL.

However, that requires cooperation from the serving end. The
people sending the information, need to understand that an
audible alert should be included. On a Telex or Teletype machine,
a real bell is used, and a hammer strikes it. On a computer,
BEL makes a beep noise, which is annoying if used to excess.

*******

It's a long shot, but find the Accessibility section of the
OS, where help is provided for vision-impaired or hearing-impaired
individuals.

You may be able to select TTS (text to speech) and have the
contents of the Telnet window read aloud to you. When new
information comes in, you would hear the voice start up
while it reads the content.

But short of editing the source of PuTTY terminal emulator
and adding a feature there, I don't think a convenient tick
box exists for what you want. In a Google, I can see someone
asked for it, but the answers were similar to mine. DIY.

Paul

Re: telnet command to issue audible alert?

<l79pu4Fqc0bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3990&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3990

From: josef@invalid.invalid (Josef Möllers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 10:09:40 +0200
 by: Josef Möllers - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 08:09 UTC

On 05.04.24 02:20, Paul wrote:
> On 4/4/2024 1:15 PM, Hugh Johns wrote:
>> Running telnet on 22.04.  Is there a command to issue an audible alert when new data appears?  Thanks.
>
> Telnet is interactive, not job or batch based.
>
> There is no reason for the feature to exist in the way you want it.
>
> When you have a Telex machine dialed into Reuters, Reuters sends
> <ctrl>-G, the bell character, indicating "incoming article". The
> BEL character 0x07 hex, was intended for the "alert function".
> Sometimes they would send individual news articles over the Telex,
> and an operator would not know something was coming in, unless
> they happened to hear the BEL.
>
> However, that requires cooperation from the serving end. The
> people sending the information, need to understand that an
> audible alert should be included. On a Telex or Teletype machine,
> a real bell is used, and a hammer strikes it. On a computer,
> BEL makes a beep noise, which is annoying if used to excess.

No, the serving side would not need to cooperate. If the receiving end
senses incoming data after a certain threshold, it could very well sound
an audible alarm signalling that fact without help from the sending end.
Afair I have never looked into the telnet sources, but one could eg
record the time of incoming data and if the difference between two
events exceeds the threshold, an audible alert could be raised.

Josef

Re: telnet command to issue audible alert?

<2024Apr6.192908@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3991&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3991

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 17:29:08 GMT
 by: Anton Ertl - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:29 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes:
>When you have a Telex machine dialed into Reuters, Reuters sends
><ctrl>-G, the bell character, indicating "incoming article". The
>BEL character 0x07 hex, was intended for the "alert function".
>Sometimes they would send individual news articles over the Telex,
>and an operator would not know something was coming in, unless
>they happened to hear the BEL.

I find it hard to believe that an operator would not hear it when a
Telex machine starts or stops rattling.

A more plausible reason for having BEL at the start and/or end of an
article is so that the operator notices that a new article has started
when there are several articles sent without intervening pause.

- anton

Re: telnet command to issue audible alert?

<uut8r3$2jmki$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3992&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3992

From: toylet.toylet@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 12:52:51 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 04:52 UTC

On 5/4/2024 1:15 am, Hugh Johns wrote:
> Running telnet on 22.04. Is there a command to issue an audible alert
> when new data appears? Thanks.

Play a MP3 using MPG123 or MPG321? :)