If Machiavelli were a programmer, he'd have worked for AT&T.

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

SubjectAuthor
* trying to burn MP3 to CDAl Jostens
+- Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDPaul
+- Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDJohn Williamson
+- Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDDr. Noah Bodie
+- Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDazigni
+- Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDChris
`* Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDAl Jostens
 +* Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDred floyd
 |`- Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDAl Jostens
 +* Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDMark Lloyd
 |`- Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDAl Jostens
 `* Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDChris
  +- Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDPaul
  `- Re: trying to burn MP3 to CDAl Jostens

1
trying to burn MP3 to CD

<utpd61$dh70$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3938&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3938

From: alj7789@nospaml.net (Al Jostens)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: trying to burn MP3 to CD
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:26:09 -0400
 by: Al Jostens - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 14:26 UTC

Trying to use Brasero to burn an MP3 to a 700 MB CD, but I keep getting
a message that the file is too large. I have tried reducing the MP3
file size down to as little as 500 MB, but still won't burn. I welcome
any suggestions and thank you in advance.

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<utpdtg$dnaq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3939&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3939

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:38:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 14:38 UTC

On 3/24/2024 10:26 AM, Al Jostens wrote:
> Trying to use Brasero to burn an MP3 to a 700 MB CD, but I keep getting a message that the file is too large.  I have tried reducing the MP3 file size down to as little as 500 MB, but still won't burn.  I welcome any suggestions and thank you in advance.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/74090/how-to-burn-mp3-files

There is "data disc" as a burning method and "audio CD".

*******

https://www.travsonic.com/red-book-cd-format/

"Red Book Audio Specifications

The basic specifications state that:

1. Maximum playing time is 79.8 minutes
..."

I don't think an "audio CD" is intended to support MP3,
but if that works, perhaps it is checking the playing
time and determining the 79.8 minutes is exceeded,
rather than the size being the issue ?

Burning the item as a data disc, if anything is going to
work (player can handle it), then the format is more
likely to work.

Paul

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<l6asjsF4dhgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3940&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3940

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 14:45:16 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 14:45 UTC

On 24/03/2024 14:26, Al Jostens wrote:
> Trying to use Brasero to burn an MP3 to a 700 MB CD, but I keep getting
> a message that the file is too large. I have tried reducing the MP3
> file size down to as little as 500 MB, but still won't burn. I welcome
> any suggestions and thank you in advance.

If you are using the audio project settings, it will be trying to
produce a red book standard audio CD, which is a much bigger file than
the MP3 equivalent.

If you use the data project settings, it should just transfer the mp3
file to the ISO disc image it creates. It may work better if you first
create an ISO image file and check the file properties before you try
actually burning the disc.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<utpjc3$f05n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3941&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3941

From: noah@bodie.not (Dr. Noah Bodie)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 13:11:47 -0300
 by: Dr. Noah Bodie - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:11 UTC

On 03/24/2024 11:26 AM, Al Jostens wrote:
> Trying to use Brasero to burn an MP3 to a 700 MB CD, but I keep getting
> a message that the file is too large. I have tried reducing the MP3
> file size down to as little as 500 MB, but still won't burn. I welcome
> any suggestions and thank you in advance.

use K3B to burn it. select DATA FILE, rather than AUDIO CD.

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<zs%LN.123839$GX69.108097@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3942&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3942

From: azigni@yahoo.com (azigni)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:48:47 GMT
 by: azigni - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:48 UTC

A music file may be an average 10x or larger of an .mp3 file depending on
the bitrate chosen for the music file.

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<utq0t5$idft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3943&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3943

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:02:44 +0000
 by: Chris - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:02 UTC

On 24/03/2024 14:26, Al Jostens wrote:
> Trying to use Brasero to burn an MP3 to a 700 MB CD, but I keep getting
> a message that the file is too large.  I have tried reducing the MP3
> file size down to as little as 500 MB, but still won't burn.  I welcome
> any suggestions and thank you in advance.

What do you want to do with the CD? (1) Play it in a standard CD player
or (2) play it in a system capable of reading mp3 files?

If it's (1) then the length of the MP3 audio track needs to be less than
80 minutes long. I suspect this is your problem and your mp3 is too
long, not too large.

If it's (2) then it may be that you've set Brasero to record an audio
disc and you need to change that to a data disc.

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<utq5rc$jjnc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3945&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3945

From: alj7789@nospaml.net (Al Jostens)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 17:27:08 -0400
 by: Al Jostens - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 21:27 UTC

Ok, I had not burned a CD in over a decade so forgot about the
"standards." I was trying to burn the MP3 to CD using audio standards,
which was not going to work since it was hours long. After I began
using the "data" option, no longer any oversize issues except I had to
go though about 5 CDs before there was a correct burn. I had some cheap
Verbatim ones here, but none of those burned correctly. It took an old
Maxwell with max of 4x speed to get successful results. It's not that
my burner couldn't handle the faster speeds, but I think a lot of these
old CDs in storage for many years were bad.

The purpose was to create a 9 hour "white noise" CD for my wife, who
uses the noise when I am away to help her sleep. We had a white noise
generator, but it became defunct so I came up with the idea of a CD to
be used in the room's portable stereo.

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<utq7ke$k1hm$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3946&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3946

From: no.spam.here@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 14:57:33 -0700
 by: red floyd - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 21:57 UTC

On 3/24/2024 2:27 PM, Al Jostens wrote:
> Ok, I had not burned a CD in over a decade so forgot about the
> "standards."  I was trying to burn the MP3 to CD using audio standards,
> which was not going to work since it was hours long.  After I began
> using the "data" option, no longer any oversize issues except I had to
> go though about 5 CDs before there was a correct burn.  I had some cheap
> Verbatim ones here, but none of those burned correctly.  It took an old
> Maxwell with max of 4x speed to get successful results.  It's not that
> my burner couldn't handle the faster speeds, but I think a lot of these
> old CDs in storage for many years were bad.
>
> The purpose was to create a 9 hour "white noise" CD for my wife, who
> uses the noise when I am away to help her sleep.  We had a white noise
> generator, but it became defunct so I came up with the idea of a CD to
> be used in the room's portable stereo.

I'm assuming your stereo can play MP3. Otherwise, since it's white
noise, you could edit that MP3 down to about an hour long, burn it as
a standard redbook CD, and play it on repeat.

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<utqeg4$lhrv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3947&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3947

From: alj7789@nospaml.net (Al Jostens)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:54:44 -0400
 by: Al Jostens - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 23:54 UTC

On 3/24/24 5:57 PM, red floyd wrote:
> On 3/24/2024 2:27 PM, Al Jostens wrote:
>> Ok, I had not burned a CD in over a decade so forgot about the
>> "standards."  I was trying to burn the MP3 to CD using audio
>> standards, which was not going to work since it was hours long.  After
>> I began using the "data" option, no longer any oversize issues except
>> I had to go though about 5 CDs before there was a correct burn.  I had
>> some cheap Verbatim ones here, but none of those burned correctly.  It
>> took an old Maxwell with max of 4x speed to get successful results.
>> It's not that my burner couldn't handle the faster speeds, but I think
>> a lot of these old CDs in storage for many years were bad.
>>
>> The purpose was to create a 9 hour "white noise" CD for my wife, who
>> uses the noise when I am away to help her sleep.  We had a white noise
>> generator, but it became defunct so I came up with the idea of a CD to
>> be used in the room's portable stereo.
>>

> I'm assuming your stereo can play MP3.  Otherwise, since it's white
> noise, you could edit that MP3 down to about an hour long, burn it as
> a standard redbook CD, and play it on repeat.

Yes, the stereo can play MP3s. I initially tried it in standard CD
format, but there was about a 5 sec delay before repeating and that
would awaken her. Made it worse when it happened after nearly every
hour. Now, she'll get a full night's sleep without the silent pauses.

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<fZiMN.456326$yEgf.339285@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3949&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3949

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:00:43 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 18:00 UTC

On 3/24/24 16:27, Al Jostens wrote:

[snip]

> The purpose was to create a 9 hour "white noise" CD for my wife, who
> uses the noise when I am away to help her sleep.  We had a white noise
> generator, but it became defunct so I came up with the idea of a CD to
> be used in the room's portable stereo.

I usually prefer quiet, but have had a need for this recently. White
noise works, but I find that pink noise is better.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It is among men of genius and science that atheism alone is found." --
Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<utsjkg$19b9n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3950&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3950

From: alj7789@nospaml.net (Al Jostens)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:34:40 -0400
 by: Al Jostens - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 19:34 UTC

On 3/25/24 2:00 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 3/24/24 16:27, Al Jostens wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> The purpose was to create a 9 hour "white noise" CD for my wife, who
>> uses the noise when I am away to help her sleep.  We had a white noise
>> generator, but it became defunct so I came up with the idea of a CD to
>> be used in the room's portable stereo.
>
> I usually prefer quiet, but have had a need for this recently. White
> noise works, but I find that pink noise is better.

Our white noise generator actually produced brown noise. The portable
stereo has EQ so I (or she) can just EQ the noise to taste so the white
can approximate pink or brown with EQ.

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<utsv8l$1c2nc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3951&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3951

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 22:53:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:a4rFJujhjIzuQStoRejI2wchaQU=
 by: Chris - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 22:53 UTC

Al Jostens <alj7789@nospaml.net> wrote:
> Ok, I had not burned a CD in over a decade so forgot about the
> "standards." I was trying to burn the MP3 to CD using audio standards,
> which was not going to work since it was hours long. After I began
> using the "data" option, no longer any oversize issues except I had to
> go though about 5 CDs before there was a correct burn. I had some cheap
> Verbatim ones here, but none of those burned correctly. It took an old
> Maxwell with max of 4x speed to get successful results. It's not that
> my burner couldn't handle the faster speeds, but I think a lot of these
> old CDs in storage for many years were bad.
>
> The purpose was to create a 9 hour "white noise" CD for my wife, who
> uses the noise when I am away to help her sleep. We had a white noise
> generator, but it became defunct so I came up with the idea of a CD to
> be used in the room's portable stereo.

Would an analogue radio not tuned to a station work?

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<uttbi1$1ekak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3952&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3952

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 22:22:53 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 02:22 UTC

On 3/25/2024 6:53 PM, Chris wrote:
> Al Jostens <alj7789@nospaml.net> wrote:
>> Ok, I had not burned a CD in over a decade so forgot about the
>> "standards." I was trying to burn the MP3 to CD using audio standards,
>> which was not going to work since it was hours long. After I began
>> using the "data" option, no longer any oversize issues except I had to
>> go though about 5 CDs before there was a correct burn. I had some cheap
>> Verbatim ones here, but none of those burned correctly. It took an old
>> Maxwell with max of 4x speed to get successful results. It's not that
>> my burner couldn't handle the faster speeds, but I think a lot of these
>> old CDs in storage for many years were bad.
>>
>> The purpose was to create a 9 hour "white noise" CD for my wife, who
>> uses the noise when I am away to help her sleep. We had a white noise
>> generator, but it became defunct so I came up with the idea of a CD to
>> be used in the room's portable stereo.
>
> Would an analogue radio not tuned to a station work?

Why would you even need a source ?

Write code to generate the noise :-)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/616897/how-can-i-make-a-pink-noise-generator

# 3 second sample, not my taste in music

play -t sl - synth 3 pinknoise band -n 1200 200 tremolo .1 40 < /dev/zero

Paul

Re: trying to burn MP3 to CD

<utug57$1qj1g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3953&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3953

From: alj7789@nospaml.net (Al Jostens)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 08:47:35 -0400
 by: Al Jostens - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:47 UTC

On 3/25/24 6:53 PM, Chris wrote:
> Al Jostens <alj7789@nospaml.net> wrote:
>> Ok, I had not burned a CD in over a decade so forgot about the
>> "standards." I was trying to burn the MP3 to CD using audio standards,
>> which was not going to work since it was hours long. After I began
>> using the "data" option, no longer any oversize issues except I had to
>> go though about 5 CDs before there was a correct burn. I had some cheap
>> Verbatim ones here, but none of those burned correctly. It took an old
>> Maxwell with max of 4x speed to get successful results. It's not that
>> my burner couldn't handle the faster speeds, but I think a lot of these
>> old CDs in storage for many years were bad.
>>
>> The purpose was to create a 9 hour "white noise" CD for my wife, who
>> uses the noise when I am away to help her sleep. We had a white noise
>> generator, but it became defunct so I came up with the idea of a CD to
>> be used in the room's portable stereo.
>
> Would an analogue radio not tuned to a station work?

Have used it in the past when nothing else was available, but not good
for a permanent solution as it can be prone to static crashes and
occasional stations coming through, like pilots, for example, just above
the FM broadcast band.