The life of a repo man is always intense.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

SubjectAuthor
* can read email but CAN'T SEND email usingbilsch01
+* Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email usingVanguardLH
|`- Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email usingbilsch01
`* Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email usingDavid E. Ross
 `- Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email usingAllan Higdon

1
can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<uude13$2a45g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3905&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3905

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:43:10 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 04:43 UTC

Just recently, I'm having a problem w/ Comcast email.

Thunderbird shows I have the following:
1) news.eternal-september.org - for newsgroups
2) user@comcast.net - for email

In TB settings, the OUTGOING server for each is smtp.comcast.net
That's just fine.

I can both read and post to newsgroups
I can receive emails but CAN'T SEND EMAIL

Does anyone know POSSIBLE REASONS why can't send emails?

TIA Bill S.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<d6mpho4y2uou$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3906&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3906

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 00:59:11 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 05:59 UTC

bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:

> Just recently, I'm having a problem w/ Comcast email.
>
> Thunderbird shows I have the following:
> 1) news.eternal-september.org - for newsgroups
> 2) user@comcast.net - for email
>
> In TB settings, the OUTGOING server for each is smtp.comcast.net
> That's just fine.
>
> I can both read and post to newsgroups
> I can receive emails but CAN'T SEND EMAIL
>
> Does anyone know POSSIBLE REASONS why can't send emails?

See what Tbird says is the error.

- Go to menu -> Tools -> Developer Tools -> Error Console
- Or use the Ctrl+Shift+J key combo.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<uudkdi$2bbfa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3909&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3909

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 23:32:16 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 06:32 UTC

On 3/31/2024 9:43 PM, bilsch01 wrote:
> Just recently, I'm having a problem w/ Comcast email.
>
> Thunderbird shows I have the following:
> 1) news.eternal-september.org - for newsgroups
> 2) user@comcast.net - for email
>
> In TB settings, the OUTGOING server for each is smtp.comcast.net
> That's just fine.
>
> I can both read and post to newsgroups
> I can receive emails but CAN'T SEND EMAIL
>
> Does anyone know POSSIBLE REASONS why can't send emails?
>
> TIA Bill S.

Did you setup smtp.comcast.net in Thunderbir's SMTP settings? If so, do
you have the Comcast's correct port number and other settings in
Thunderbir's SMTP settings?

Note that newsgroup messages do not go through SMTP. They go through
NNTP, which is why the settings for newsgroup accounts are different
from E-mail accounts.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Demonstrators worldwide are demanding that Israel stop
fighting in Gaza. Why does it seem that no one is demanding
that Hamas stop fighting? And where are the demonstrations
against Russia fighting in the Ukraine.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<uug8kp$3228d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3911&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3911

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:29:40 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 06:29 UTC

On 3/31/2024 10:59 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:
>
>> Just recently, I'm having a problem w/ Comcast email.
>>
>> Thunderbird shows I have the following:
>> 1) news.eternal-september.org - for newsgroups
>> 2) user@comcast.net - for email
>>
>> In TB settings, the OUTGOING server for each is smtp.comcast.net
>> That's just fine.
>>
>> I can both read and post to newsgroups
>> I can receive emails but CAN'T SEND EMAIL
>>
>> Does anyone know POSSIBLE REASONS why can't send emails?
>
> See what Tbird says is the error.
>
> - Go to menu -> Tools -> Developer Tools -> Error Console
> - Or use the Ctrl+Shift+J key combo.

OK. I cleared error console and 'sent' a message from comcast account to
gmail account. Gmail never got it. Error console now says:
NotFoundError: No such JSWindowActor 'DevToolsFrame' 5

But after just a little longer it says more:

window.controllers/Controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA
detection. 2 blank

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<1v6217fjwlxz4$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3913&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3913

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 02:05:03 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:05 UTC

bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just recently, I'm having a problem w/ Comcast email.
>>>
>>> Thunderbird shows I have the following:
>>> 1) news.eternal-september.org - for newsgroups
>>> 2) user@comcast.net - for email
>>>
>>> In TB settings, the OUTGOING server for each is smtp.comcast.net
>>> That's just fine.
>>>
>>> I can both read and post to newsgroups
>>> I can receive emails but CAN'T SEND EMAIL
>>>
>>> Does anyone know POSSIBLE REASONS why can't send emails?
>>
>> See what Tbird says is the error.
>>
>> - Go to menu -> Tools -> Developer Tools -> Error Console
>> - Or use the Ctrl+Shift+J key combo.
>
> OK. I cleared error console and 'sent' a message from comcast account to
> gmail account. Gmail never got it. Error console now says:
> NotFoundError: No such JSWindowActor 'DevToolsFrame' 5
>
> But after just a little longer it says more:
>
> window.controllers/Controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA
> detection. 2 blank

Tried disabling the add-ons you installed in Tbird, and retest?
If using customized user.js and prefs.js files, move them elsewhere
during a test. Or, create a new profile which won't have any add-ons or
tweaked JS files, and test using the new profile.

Have any local proxies between Tbird and the server, like for
anti-virus, spam filtering, VPN, etc? If so, setup so Tbird makes a
direct connection instead of going through a proxy: temporarily disable
any e-mail interrogation by the AV program, bypass any spam proxy, and
don't use a VPN to connect.

What locale (language) is TBird using?

In your Comcast account, did you define a recovery e-mail address (that
points elsewhere, like Gmail, Hotmail, etc)? I've seen reports where
logons were rejected without a recovery e-mail and/or phone number
defined in the account. Use their webmail client to check.

Comcast got hacked. Tons of account data got stolen, including logins.
That was in Dec 2023. They've been rolling out a requirement by users
to change their passwords. I got nailed a month ago with a password
change required shortly after receiving an e-mail about it from them.
Use their webmail client to change your password, change it in Tbird,
and retest.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/xfinity-hack-customers-usernames-passwords/

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<op.2lldy1dz1svx94@bedroom-pc.attlocal.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3914&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3914

From: allanh@vivaldi.net (Allan Higdon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 03:31:39 -0500
 by: Allan Higdon - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 08:31 UTC

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 01:32:16 -0500, David E. Ross <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> On 3/31/2024 9:43 PM, bilsch01 wrote:
>> Just recently, I'm having a problem w/ Comcast email.
>>
>> Thunderbird shows I have the following:
>> 1) news.eternal-september.org - for newsgroups
>> 2) user@comcast.net - for email
>>
>> In TB settings, the OUTGOING server for each is smtp.comcast.net
>> That's just fine.
>>
>> I can both read and post to newsgroups
>> I can receive emails but CAN'T SEND EMAIL
>>
>> Does anyone know POSSIBLE REASONS why can't send emails?
>>
>> TIA Bill S.
>>

> Did you setup smtp.comcast.net in Thunderbir's SMTP settings? If so, do
> you have the Comcast's correct port number and other settings in
> Thunderbir's SMTP settings?
>
> Note that newsgroup messages do not go through SMTP. They go through
> NNTP, which is why the settings for newsgroup accounts are different
> from E-mail accounts.

The NNTP server is only for receiving messages.
I've always used the same SMTP sever for both mail and newsgroup accounts.
It's always worked for me.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<b8ovrb535qhk.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3920&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3920

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:59:32 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 21:59 UTC

Allan Higdon <allanh@vivaldi.net> wrote:

> The NNTP server is only for receiving messages.

Then how did your post show up here in Usenet. NNTP does both receive
and send, like Dave mentions. E-mail (POP, IMAP, SMTP, Exchange, Gmail
API, etc) are separate protocols from NNTP.

> I've always used the same SMTP sever for both mail and newsgroup accounts.

Adding an SMTP server to an NNTP account is only when you want to take a
discussion offline (from Usenet to e-mail). You can reply via e-mail,
but then you are sending an e-mail, not submitting a reply to Usenet.

Normally, what starts in Usenet should stay in Usenet. Taking a
discussion offline has rare few excuses, like discussing the specifics
on how to thwart a script baby from knowing how to defend their malware,
or posting exhibits of spam in one newsgroup, but discussing them in
another newsgroup, or even going offline if the discussion could aid the
spammers/scammers to avoid getting blocked or ignored. For newsgroups,
you don't need to define an SMTP server since that would only be used to
take a discussion offline via e-mail away from Usenet.

In fact, you might want to review your newsgroups accounts, and remove
an SMTP setup. Too many times someone meant to reply to sensitive or
very personal e-mail, but sent their message to Usenet for everyone to
see. Tis a hazard when using combo (e-mail + newsgroups) client:
sending a message to the wrong target.

You don't need any e-mail protocol, including SMTP, assigned to a
newsgroups account. Newsgroups aka Usenet doesn't use e-mail. It uses
NNTP. E-mail and Usenet are completely different communication venues.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<l74a8nF1712U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3926&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3926

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:11:29 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 06:11 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Adding an SMTP server to an NNTP account is only when you want to take a
> discussion offline (from Usenet to e-mail). You can reply via e-mail,
> but then you are sending an e-mail, not submitting a reply to Usenet.

Also when sending to a moderated group.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<18wxwkzi0a2lu.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3928&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3928

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 02:13:53 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:13 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Adding an SMTP server to an NNTP account is only when you want to take a
>> discussion offline (from Usenet to e-mail). You can reply via e-mail,
>> but then you are sending an e-mail, not submitting a reply to Usenet.
>
> Also when sending to a moderated group.

NNTP is still used to submit and retrieve from moderated newsgroups.
Maybe you meant mailing lists which can backend an NNTP-to-mail gateway.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<op.2lm5vjiw1svx94@bedroom-pc.attlocal.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3929&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3929

From: allanh@vivaldi.net (Allan Higdon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 02:31:57 -0500
 by: Allan Higdon - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:31 UTC

On Tue, 02 Apr 2024 16:59:32 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:

> Allan Higdon <allanh@vivaldi.net> wrote:
>
>> The NNTP server is only for receiving messages.
>
> Then how did your post show up here in Usenet. NNTP does both receive
> and send, like Dave mentions. E-mail (POP, IMAP, SMTP, Exchange, Gmail
> API, etc) are separate protocols from NNTP.
>
>> I've always used the same SMTP sever for both mail and newsgroup accounts.
>
> Adding an SMTP server to an NNTP account is only when you want to take a
> discussion offline (from Usenet to e-mail). You can reply via e-mail,
> but then you are sending an e-mail, not submitting a reply to Usenet.
>
> Normally, what starts in Usenet should stay in Usenet. Taking a
> discussion offline has rare few excuses, like discussing the specifics
> on how to thwart a script baby from knowing how to defend their malware,
> or posting exhibits of spam in one newsgroup, but discussing them in
> another newsgroup, or even going offline if the discussion could aid the
> spammers/scammers to avoid getting blocked or ignored. For newsgroups,
> you don't need to define an SMTP server since that would only be used to
> take a discussion offline via e-mail away from Usenet.
>
> In fact, you might want to review your newsgroups accounts, and remove
> an SMTP setup. Too many times someone meant to reply to sensitive or
> very personal e-mail, but sent their message to Usenet for everyone to
> see. Tis a hazard when using combo (e-mail + newsgroups) client:
> sending a message to the wrong target.
>
> You don't need any e-mail protocol, including SMTP, assigned to a
> newsgroups account. Newsgroups aka Usenet doesn't use e-mail. It uses
> NNTP. E-mail and Usenet are completely different communication venues.

When I create a newsgroup account with TB/Betterbird, there is a setting for Outgoing Server (SMTP), which is "Use Default Server".
It looks to me that it's impossible not to include this setting for a newsgroup account.
That's the reason I didn't know that the NNTP server does send messages.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<967q0jppiu6ad5bvqm7u7s9od6i9ls9om5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3930&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3930

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 22:12:04 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:12 UTC

On Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:11:29 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Adding an SMTP server to an NNTP account is only when you want to take a
>> discussion offline (from Usenet to e-mail). You can reply via e-mail,
>> but then you are sending an e-mail, not submitting a reply to Usenet.
>
> Also when sending to a moderated group.

When sending to a moderated group, your program sends via NNTP to the
news server. The news server forwards the post via email to the
moderator.

Part of adding a moderated newsgroup to a news server is configuring the
moderator's email address for the newsgroup. Your mail/news program does
not know the moderator's email address, so it cannot send directly via
email to the moderator.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<1adlr2ln8ccfk.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3933&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3933

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:16:23 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 12:16 UTC

Allan Higdon <allanh@vivaldi.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Apr 2024 16:59:32 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
>
>> Allan Higdon <allanh@vivaldi.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The NNTP server is only for receiving messages.
>>
>> Then how did your post show up here in Usenet. NNTP does both receive
>> and send, like Dave mentions. E-mail (POP, IMAP, SMTP, Exchange, Gmail
>> API, etc) are separate protocols from NNTP.
>>
>>> I've always used the same SMTP sever for both mail and newsgroup accounts.
>>
>> Adding an SMTP server to an NNTP account is only when you want to take a
>> discussion offline (from Usenet to e-mail). You can reply via e-mail,
>> but then you are sending an e-mail, not submitting a reply to Usenet.
>>
>> Normally, what starts in Usenet should stay in Usenet. Taking a
>> discussion offline has rare few excuses, like discussing the specifics
>> on how to thwart a script baby from knowing how to defend their malware,
>> or posting exhibits of spam in one newsgroup, but discussing them in
>> another newsgroup, or even going offline if the discussion could aid the
>> spammers/scammers to avoid getting blocked or ignored. For newsgroups,
>> you don't need to define an SMTP server since that would only be used to
>> take a discussion offline via e-mail away from Usenet.
>>
>> In fact, you might want to review your newsgroups accounts, and remove
>> an SMTP setup. Too many times someone meant to reply to sensitive or
>> very personal e-mail, but sent their message to Usenet for everyone to
>> see. Tis a hazard when using combo (e-mail + newsgroups) client:
>> sending a message to the wrong target.
>>
>> You don't need any e-mail protocol, including SMTP, assigned to a
>> newsgroups account. Newsgroups aka Usenet doesn't use e-mail. It uses
>> NNTP. E-mail and Usenet are completely different communication venues.
>>

> When I create a newsgroup account with TB/Betterbird, there is a setting for Outgoing Server (SMTP), which is "Use Default Server".
> It looks to me that it's impossible not to include this setting for a newsgroup account.
> That's the reason I didn't know that the NNTP server does send messages.

When an SMTP server is configured (selected) for a newsgroup account, it
is possible to reply by followup to the newsgroup or reply by e-mail.
That is, when you reply, you could do so via NNTP (Usenet) or e-mail
(SMTP). Replying by e-mail takes the discussion offline (away from
Usenet). Clicking "Reply" generates an e-mail. Clicking "Followup"
generates a newsgroup message. The button you click selects which type
of server to use.

A poster can also try to get respondents to send to e-mail instead of
defaulting to reply to Usenet by using the following headers:

For the first header, "poster" means to send a reply to the e-mail
address (if legit) in the Reply-To or From header in that order of
priority. For the second header, its value can be an e-mail address
used in the Cc header of an e-mailed reply, or "nobody" or "never"
indicating they never want to get e-mails. I ignore-flag and hide those
posts since I have no interest in taking Usenet discussions offline via
e-mail, plus s(c|p)ammers use it trying to cull e-mail addresses. If
there is no SMTP server configured for newsgroups, the respondent cannot
accidentally nor misleadingly send e-mail when they meant to reply to
Usenet.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<op.2lnmn9ci1svx94@bedroom-pc.attlocal.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3935&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3935

From: allanh@vivaldi.net (Allan Higdon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 08:34:47 -0500
 by: Allan Higdon - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 13:34 UTC

On Wed, 03 Apr 2024 07:16:23 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:

> [...]
> generates a newsgroup message. The button you click selects which type
> of server to use.
>
> A poster can also try to get respondents to send to e-mail instead of
> defaulting to reply to Usenet by using the following headers:

> For the first header, "poster" means to send a reply to the e-mail
> address (if legit) in the Reply-To or From header in that order of
> priority. For the second header, its value can be an e-mail address
> used in the Cc header of an e-mailed reply, or "nobody" or "never"
> indicating they never want to get e-mails. I ignore-flag and hide those
> posts since I have no interest in taking Usenet discussions offline via
> e-mail, plus s(c|p)ammers use it trying to cull e-mail addresses. If
> there is no SMTP server configured for newsgroups, the respondent cannot
> accidentally nor misleadingly send e-mail when they meant to reply to

I appreciate the information.
I've never had any reason to take a Usenet discussion offline either.
Despite that, using the SMTP server for both e-mail and newsgroups has never caused any problem for me.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<uuk7uh$3c2k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3940&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3940

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 11:42:20 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 18:42 UTC

On 4/2/2024 12:05 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> See what Tbird says is the error.
>>>
>>> - Go to menu -> Tools -> Developer Tools -> Error Console
>>> - Or use the Ctrl+Shift+J key combo.
>>
>> OK. I cleared error console and 'sent' a message from comcast account to
>> gmail account. Gmail never got it. Error console now says:
>> NotFoundError: No such JSWindowActor 'DevToolsFrame' 5
>>
>> But after just a little longer it says more:
>>
>> window.controllers/Controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA
>> detection. 2 blank
>
> Tried disabling the add-ons you installed in Tbird, and retest?
> If using customized user.js and prefs.js files, move them elsewhere
> during a test. Or, create a new profile which won't have any add-ons or
> tweaked JS files, and test using the new profile.
>
> Have any local proxies between Tbird and the server, like for
> anti-virus, spam filtering, VPN, etc? If so, setup so Tbird makes a
> direct connection instead of going through a proxy: temporarily disable
> any e-mail interrogation by the AV program, bypass any spam proxy, and
> don't use a VPN to connect.
>
> What locale (language) is TBird using?
>
> In your Comcast account, did you define a recovery e-mail address (that
> points elsewhere, like Gmail, Hotmail, etc)? I've seen reports where
> logons were rejected without a recovery e-mail and/or phone number
> defined in the account. Use their webmail client to check.
>
> Comcast got hacked. Tons of account data got stolen, including logins.
> That was in Dec 2023. They've been rolling out a requirement by users
> to change their passwords. I got nailed a month ago with a password
> change required shortly after receiving an e-mail about it from them.
> Use their webmail client to change your password, change it in Tbird,
> and retest.
>
> https://www.cbsnews.com/news/xfinity-hack-customers-usernames-passwords/
Today I did the first two changes I've tried to fix the problem
described in my original post.
1) in my gmail account I tried something like 'adding' the comcast
account to gmail. I followed all steps and got positive acknowledgement
for each step. However I noticed no change in the UI of either comcast
or gmail. Strange.Then tried sending an email from comcast to gmail. No
email arrived in gmail. Strange.
2) remembered I have my default email address for comcast account in TB
set to writer@usenet.net, which I did as a precaution years ago (there
was never any problem with that). So now I changed that default address
to my real comcast email address. I tried sending an email from comcast
to gmail, and now the email arrives in gmail account.
I'm not sure what change caused the fix.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<14zjf33j4fj6c.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3942&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3942

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 14:25:22 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 19:25 UTC

bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:

> Today I did the first two changes I've tried to fix the problem
> described in my original post.
> 1) in my gmail account I tried something like 'adding' the comcast
> account to gmail. I followed all steps and got positive acknowledgement
> for each step. However I noticed no change in the UI of either comcast
> or gmail. Strange.Then tried sending an email from comcast to gmail. No
> email arrived in gmail. Strange.
> 2) remembered I have my default email address for comcast account in TB
> set to writer@usenet.net, which I did as a precaution years ago (there
> was never any problem with that). So now I changed that default address
> to my real comcast email address. I tried sending an email from comcast
> to gmail, and now the email arrives in gmail account.
> I'm not sure what change caused the fix.

Could be Comcast doesn't let you lie about your e-mail address in the
From header when using their e-mail service. When using their server,
you need to be a customer (validated by the login), and you need to show
recipients your Comcast e-mail address, not something else. The latter
could be an anti-abuse measure to prevent abuse of their mail service by
users pretending to be elsewhere. Replies to your outbound messages
would get sent to a different account (if it exists) than to your
Comcast account. That would something to ask using their Chat venue.

I use my Comcast e-mail account very little. I specify my Comcast
e-mail address in any e-mails sent from there; i.e., I don't putz with
the From header. I've not tried changing the From header to point
elsewhere. Regardless of what your client puts in the From header, the
server-added headers to your sent message will still show it originated
from Comcast, and may even have a Sender or other header with your
Comcast account's e-mail address.

Did you ever look at the error console in Thunderbird to see there was
an error during the send? If Tbird's error console doesn't show mail
session status, perhaps you have to enable logging. There might be an
error like:

The sender address (#########@comcast.net) was rejected by the server
smtp.comcast.net.

The server response was: Please ensure your email address and
authenticating user match when sending messages

Comcast started implementing the anti-abuse restriction many months, but
grandfathered in some accounts to allow the mismatch for an
indeterminate time.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<uumphs$ppr0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3963&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3963

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 10:55:05 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 17:55 UTC

On 4/3/2024 12:25 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:
>
>> Today I did the first two changes I've tried to fix the problem
>> described in my original post.
>> 1) in my gmail account I tried something like 'adding' the comcast
>> account to gmail. I followed all steps and got positive acknowledgement
>> for each step. However I noticed no change in the UI of either comcast
>> or gmail. Strange.Then tried sending an email from comcast to gmail. No
>> email arrived in gmail. Strange.
>> 2) remembered I have my default email address for comcast account in TB
>> set to writer@usenet.net, which I did as a precaution years ago (there
>> was never any problem with that). So now I changed that default address
>> to my real comcast email address. I tried sending an email from comcast
>> to gmail, and now the email arrives in gmail account.
>> I'm not sure what change caused the fix.
>
> Could be Comcast doesn't let you lie about your e-mail address in the
> From header when using their e-mail service. When using their server,
> you need to be a customer (validated by the login), and you need to show
> recipients your Comcast e-mail address, not something else. The latter
> could be an anti-abuse measure to prevent abuse of their mail service by
> users pretending to be elsewhere. Replies to your outbound messages
> would get sent to a different account (if it exists) than to your
> Comcast account. That would something to ask using their Chat venue.
>
> I use my Comcast e-mail account very little. I specify my Comcast
> e-mail address in any e-mails sent from there; i.e., I don't putz with
> the From header. I've not tried changing the From header to point
> elsewhere. Regardless of what your client puts in the From header, the
> server-added headers to your sent message will still show it originated
> from Comcast, and may even have a Sender or other header with your
> Comcast account's e-mail address.
>
> Did you ever look at the error console in Thunderbird to see there was
> an error during the send?

My Comcast is working fine now. But to answer your question:
Earlier in this thread I stated what Error Console said, as follows:

NotFoundError: No such JSWindowActor 'DevToolsFrame' 5

But after just a little longer it says more:

window.controllers/Controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA
detection. 2 blank

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<1shlb35k7xpxx.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3967&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3967

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 21:11:23 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 02:11 UTC

bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:

> On 4/3/2024 12:25 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Today I did the first two changes I've tried to fix the problem
>>> described in my original post.
>>> 1) in my gmail account I tried something like 'adding' the comcast
>>> account to gmail. I followed all steps and got positive acknowledgement
>>> for each step. However I noticed no change in the UI of either comcast
>>> or gmail. Strange.Then tried sending an email from comcast to gmail. No
>>> email arrived in gmail. Strange.
>>> 2) remembered I have my default email address for comcast account in TB
>>> set to writer@usenet.net, which I did as a precaution years ago (there
>>> was never any problem with that). So now I changed that default address
>>> to my real comcast email address. I tried sending an email from comcast
>>> to gmail, and now the email arrives in gmail account.
>>> I'm not sure what change caused the fix.
>>
>> Could be Comcast doesn't let you lie about your e-mail address in the
>> From header when using their e-mail service. When using their server,
>> you need to be a customer (validated by the login), and you need to show
>> recipients your Comcast e-mail address, not something else. The latter
>> could be an anti-abuse measure to prevent abuse of their mail service by
>> users pretending to be elsewhere. Replies to your outbound messages
>> would get sent to a different account (if it exists) than to your
>> Comcast account. That would something to ask using their Chat venue.
>>
>> I use my Comcast e-mail account very little. I specify my Comcast
>> e-mail address in any e-mails sent from there; i.e., I don't putz with
>> the From header. I've not tried changing the From header to point
>> elsewhere. Regardless of what your client puts in the From header, the
>> server-added headers to your sent message will still show it originated
>> from Comcast, and may even have a Sender or other header with your
>> Comcast account's e-mail address.
>>
>> Did you ever look at the error console in Thunderbird to see there was
>> an error during the send?
>
> My Comcast is working fine now. But to answer your question:
> Earlier in this thread I stated what Error Console said, as follows:
>
> NotFoundError: No such JSWindowActor 'DevToolsFrame' 5
>
> But after just a little longer it says more:
>
> window.controllers/Controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA
> detection. 2 blank

If that is indeed the error console (and *not* the Tools -> Developer
Tools -> Error Console), it doesn't help with monitoring the mail
session. What you observed looks more like code-level monitoring. You
need to see the connection, the handshake, and the commands sent between
client and server during the mail session. In Tbird, could be the only
way to see what is happening in the mail session is to enable logging.
In some e-mail clients, the error console is where you monitor the mail
session. Maybe in Tbird it's about code checking, and you have to log
to see the mail session.

However, you already figured out Comcast requires your From header to
match your account authentication. They don't let you claim you
originated your outbound e-mails from elsewhere.

There is something else Comcast implemented that sucks: allowing
3rd-party e-mail clients to access your account. Google did this a
while back where you had to go into your account settings to allow
access by insecure apps. Google definition of insecure were apps that
didn't support OAUTH2, and still used login credentials to access. Then
Google dropped that option when it forced clients to use OAUTH2 in place
of login credentials. Comcast seems to have followed. After logging in
using their webmail client, click the gear icon (settings), select
Security, and notice there is a checkbox for "Allow access to my Xfinity
Connect e-mail through third-party programs".

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/third-party-email-access

Unlike Google, Comcast has not [yet] mandated OAUTH2 must be used for
authentication. While Thunderbird should support OAUTH2 to comcast, but
I have this setting enabled, anyway. However, my e-mail client
specifies login credentials, so OAUTH2 is not yet required with Comcast.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<uuo7l3$17v9s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3968&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3968

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 00:01:49 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 07:01 UTC

On 4/4/2024 7:11 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:

>>> Could be Comcast doesn't let you lie about your e-mail address in the
>>> From header when using their e-mail service. When using their server,
>>> you need to be a customer (validated by the login), and you need to show
>>> recipients your Comcast e-mail address, not something else. The latter
>>> could be an anti-abuse measure to prevent abuse of their mail service by
>>> users pretending to be elsewhere. Replies to your outbound messages
>>> would get sent to a different account (if it exists) than to your
>>> Comcast account. That would something to ask using their Chat venue.
>>>
>>> I use my Comcast e-mail account very little. I specify my Comcast
>>> e-mail address in any e-mails sent from there; i.e., I don't putz with
>>> the From header. I've not tried changing the From header to point
>>> elsewhere. Regardless of what your client puts in the From header, the
>>> server-added headers to your sent message will still show it originated
>>> from Comcast, and may even have a Sender or other header with your
>>> Comcast account's e-mail address.
>>>
>>> Did you ever look at the error console in Thunderbird to see there was
>>> an error during the send?
>>
>> My Comcast is working fine now. But to answer your question:
>> Earlier in this thread I stated what Error Console said, as follows:
>>
>> NotFoundError: No such JSWindowActor 'DevToolsFrame' 5
>>
>> But after just a little longer it says more:
>>
>> window.controllers/Controllers is deprecated. Do not use it for UA
>> detection. 2 blank
>
> If that is indeed the error console (and *not* the Tools -> Developer
> Tools -> Error Console), it doesn't help with monitoring the mail
> session. What you observed looks more like code-level monitoring. You

The info posted above is from: Tools->Developer Tools->Error Console

Note: problem is now fixed. But please tell me how do I 'enable logging'
and does logging then appear in Tools->Developer Tools->Error Console ?
TIA
Bill S.

> need to see the connection, the handshake, and the commands sent between
> client and server during the mail session. In Tbird, could be the only
> way to see what is happening in the mail session is to enable logging.
> In some e-mail clients, the error console is where you monitor the mail
> session. Maybe in Tbird it's about code checking, and you have to log
> to see the mail session.
>
> However, you already figured out Comcast requires your From header to
> match your account authentication. They don't let you claim you
> originated your outbound e-mails from elsewhere.
>
> There is something else Comcast implemented that sucks: allowing
> 3rd-party e-mail clients to access your account. Google did this a
> while back where you had to go into your account settings to allow
> access by insecure apps. Google definition of insecure were apps that
> didn't support OAUTH2, and still used login credentials to access. Then
> Google dropped that option when it forced clients to use OAUTH2 in place
> of login credentials. Comcast seems to have followed. After logging in
> using their webmail client, click the gear icon (settings), select
> Security, and notice there is a checkbox for "Allow access to my Xfinity
> Connect e-mail through third-party programs".
>
> https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/third-party-email-access
>
> Unlike Google, Comcast has not [yet] mandated OAUTH2 must be used for
> authentication. While Thunderbird should support OAUTH2 to comcast, but
> I have this setting enabled, anyway. However, my e-mail client
> specifies login credentials, so OAUTH2 is not yet required with Comcast.

Re: can read email but CAN'T SEND email using

<1i0b2xb3rwnxj$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3972&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3972

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 08:42:02 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 13:42 UTC

bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:

> But please tell me how do I 'enable logging' and does logging then
> appear in Tools->Developer Tools->Error Console ?

I only know what I find online. Logging will significantly slow down
Thunderbird, so enable logging, capture and analyze, and disable
logging. Logging is stored in the specified file.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging
That says logging goes to the error console, and a link to the setting
is in about:config noted at:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging#Setting_a_Preference
Since mozillazine quit updating their articles several years ago, their
articles can be out of date.

https://www.lifewire.com/pop-imap-smtp-traffic-thunderbird-1173156
That shows another way of using environment variables.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / can read email but CAN'T SEND email using