From: jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Solved: reading quoted text in composition window
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:02:45 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 02:02 UTC

Thunderbird insists on showing quoted text in the composition window
as dark navy on black, visible only when highlighted. The settings
say that it's bright red on black, but no matter what settings I set,
it's still dark navy. I've tried closing and re-opening the program
after changing the settings, and I've tried rebooting the whole
computer: no soap.

So I thought the solution was to copy the post into a text editor,
edit it, and copy it back.

Finally, I wrote an email complex enough that it was worth my while to
try it.

When I copy text that I'm writing, my habit is to use control-X
followed by control-V, so that I can see that the keys have actually
engaged; it's annoying to navigate to another program only to find old
data or no data on the clipboard.

Doing this removed the highlighting on the quoted material and I could
see to write just fine without bothering to open another program.

(Re-wrap puts the quote coloring back.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Solved: reading quoted text in composition window

<uud5t3$28fq7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3904&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3904

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:24:34 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 02:24 UTC

On 3/31/24 10:02 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

> Thunderbird insists on showing quoted text in the composition window
> as dark navy on black, visible only when highlighted. The settings
> say that it's bright red on black, but no matter what settings I set,
> it's still dark navy. I've tried closing and re-opening the program
> after changing the settings, and I've tried rebooting the whole
> computer: no soap.
>
> So I thought the solution was to copy the post into a text editor,
> edit it, and copy it back.
>
> Finally, I wrote an email complex enough that it was worth my while to
> try it.
>
> When I copy text that I'm writing, my habit is to use control-X
> followed by control-V, so that I can see that the keys have actually
> engaged; it's annoying to navigate to another program only to find old
> data or no data on the clipboard.
>
> Doing this removed the highlighting on the quoted material and I could
> see to write just fine without bothering to open another program.
>
> (Re-wrap puts the quote coloring back.)

I made a userContent.css in the chrome folder and put these lines in there. Navy on pastel pink.
It's got contrast for sure. You could make that black on white or yellow on black. You pick.

/* Quoted text colour for plain text */
span[_moz_quote="true"] {
color: navy !important;
background-color: mistyrose !important; }

pre[_moz_quote="true"] {
color: navy !important;
background-color: mistyrose !important;
} --
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 6.5.0-26-generic
Al

Re: Solved: reading quoted text in composition window

<l6v10tF7a57U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3907&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3907

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 07:03:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 06:03 UTC

Joy Beeson wrote:

> Thunderbird insists on showing quoted text in the composition window
> as dark navy on black, visible only when highlighted. The settings
> say that it's bright red on black, but no matter what settings I set,
> it's still dark navy.

What TB version?

Quoted text is a "normal" blue on white here, if you test with a fresh
blank profile what do you get?

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Solved: reading quoted text in composition window