7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.windows7.general / installing Photoshop5?

SubjectAuthor
* installing Photoshop5?crasso
+* Re: installing Photoshop5?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|`* Re: installing Photoshop5?John B. Smith
| +* Re: installing Photoshop5?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| |`- Re: installing Photoshop5?Ken Blake
| +* Re: installing Photoshop5?VanguardLH
| |`- Re: installing Photoshop5?Michael Trew
| `- Re: installing Photoshop5?Paul
+- Re: installing Photoshop5?Mayayana
+- Re: installing Photoshop5?Paul
+* Re: installing Photoshop5?JJ
|`* Re: installing Photoshop5?Mike S
| `- Re: installing Photoshop5?JJ
+* Re: installing Photoshop5?VanguardLH
|+- Re: installing Photoshop5?Java Jive
|+* Re: installing Photoshop5?Mayayana
||`- Re: installing Photoshop5?VanguardLH
|`- Re: installing Photoshop5?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+- Re: installing Photoshop5?Ammammata
`- Re: installing Photoshop5?david c

1
installing Photoshop5?

<a4gm3htqpdv2n4uhn53rn853ukojis02jr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3902&group=alt.windows7.general#3902

From: crasso@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: installing Photoshop5?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:53:39 -0400
 by: crasso@verizon.net - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 15:53 UTC

I got a 'free' copy of Adobe Photoshop3 way back when. Upgraded it to
Photoshop5 and installed it on WindowsXP. I never tried to install it
on Win7 till today. The CD flatly refuses to install, the OS telling
me to contact my publisher. Yeah I'll bet Adobe will SELL me a version
that will install on Win7 for a huge price, but they're no longer
interested in version 5.
Does anyone know a trick to outwit the CD? I've got plenty of
applications installed in the ProgramFilesx86 section of Win7, why not
this one?

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<9PVfk$zCz0OiFwl$@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3905&group=alt.windows7.general#3905

From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: installing Photoshop5?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:37:22 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:37 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 at 11:53:39, crasso@verizon.net wrote (my responses
usually FOLLOW):
>I got a 'free' copy of Adobe Photoshop3 way back when. Upgraded it to
>Photoshop5 and installed it on WindowsXP. I never tried to install it
>on Win7 till today. The CD flatly refuses to install, the OS telling
>me to contact my publisher. Yeah I'll bet Adobe will SELL me a version
>that will install on Win7 for a huge price, but they're no longer
>interested in version 5.
>Does anyone know a trick to outwit the CD? I've got plenty of
>applications installed in the ProgramFilesx86 section of Win7, why not
>this one?

Not that I can help directly, but to clarify for those that might: are
you trying to install the free 3 that you had, intending to then use the
5 "upgrade" you bought, or was the 5 CD an install-from-scratch not an
upgrade, and that's what you're trying to install?

All the usual thoughts apply - install as administrator, install in
compatibility mode, both of those if you can do both, copy the CD to the
HD and run from there (possibly turning off the read-only attributes),
.... - in extremis, though it isn't usually a good idea, if you've still
got the XP system just copy over the installed folder structure and then
mess about with attributions).

I had PSP5, then 7 for the very rare cases where I had an image too big
for 5. But I haven't used anything other than IrfanView for image
manipulation for years - haven't even installed PSP on this machine I
have the installer for 7). What would you like to _do_ with Photoshop?
(I know it is often a synonym for clever image manipulation, which
almost certainly IrfanView can't do - I've just never got into those; so
I'm just curious. [Read nosey!])

It is important to write so that you can be understood. It is far more
important to write so that you cannot be misunderstood.

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<t1fj65$jbh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3906&group=alt.windows7.general#3906

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:51:38 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:51 UTC

<crasso@verizon.net> wrote

| Does anyone know a trick to outwit the CD? I've got plenty of
| applications installed in the ProgramFilesx86 section of Win7, why not
| this one?

Go here for Paint Shop Pro 5. It's almost the same thing:

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/paint-shop-pro/

I also have PSP 16, but Corel made a bloated mess of it,
so for most things I still use PSP 5. I paid $100 for it,
but it's free now.

I'm guessing that PS3 may have been 16 bit, which wouldn't
be supported on a 64-bit system. If you have a PF86 then
you're running 64-bit and PF86 is only for 32-bit. To run 16-bit
you need a 32-bit system.

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<t1g0ng$7ps$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3911&group=alt.windows7.general#3911

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:42:13 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 20:42 UTC

On 3/23/2022 11:53 AM, crasso@verizon.net wrote:
> I got a 'free' copy of Adobe Photoshop3 way back when. Upgraded it to
> Photoshop5 and installed it on WindowsXP. I never tried to install it
> on Win7 till today. The CD flatly refuses to install, the OS telling
> me to contact my publisher. Yeah I'll bet Adobe will SELL me a version
> that will install on Win7 for a huge price, but they're no longer
> interested in version 5.
> Does anyone know a trick to outwit the CD? I've got plenty of
> applications installed in the ProgramFilesx86 section of Win7, why not
> this one?

Even the history is not complete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop#Older_versions

"Adobe published 7 major and many minor versions before the October 2003
introduction of version 8.0 which brought with it the Creative Suite branding."

"CS2 (version 9)

CS2 activation servers' shutdown: In January 2013, Adobe Photoshop CS2 (9.0),
with some other CS2 products, was released with an official serial number,
due to the technical glitch in Adobe's CS2 activation servers
(see Creative Suite 1 and 2)."

CS2 is about five versions after the one in question.

*******

Windows 7 Pro has WinXP Mode, which allows a virtual machine running
on one CPU Core, to run programs from the Windows XP era. There
are two files to install to make it work. A 500MB file with a WinXP.vhd
type file. And a 20MB file that installs Windows Virtual PC. Only
the Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 should install on the PC. And only
Windows 7 Pro or higher, supports WinXP Mode.

That has a window-less operating mode, that allows a program like Photoshop 5
to open a window on the screen as if it was running under Windows 7 32 bit.

You can still start the OS in windowed mode, so you see a WinXP desktop
rectangular image, when the OS needs a maintenance run.

So it does not even look like it is a virtual machine environment, when
you're using it. They ruined the interface, as the Windows XP version
of VirtualPC was smoother-running. (The settings dialog on the old WinXP
version of VirtualPC is pleasant to use.) The blood-pressure raising
interface on Windows 7 Pro, is just not the same.

I seem to remember Windows Virtual PC was limited to 32-bit anyway. Since
it uses Terminal Server interface for piping the screen image to the
host screen, there are some other OSes you might like to have added
to Virtual PC, that don't run right. I think I tried to run Windows 7
under Windows 7, and the interface crashed (this was me, transferring a
virtual machine from a PC that died). The Windows 7 had been a
free one from Microsoft modern.ie site, intended for VirtualPC. And I
tried to "move" it to a different machine (the free VM). But the WinXP.vhd
file had the right Terminal Server files added to it so it works right.

*******

You can chase down the CS2 version, and it's still available. It's just
not as convenient as it was at first, to find it.

http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Cpmsvi1%24ge6%241%40dont-email.me%3E

Windows Serial number: 1130-1414-7569-4457-6613-5551

PhSp_CS2_English__photoshop_CS2_1045-1412-5685-1654-6343-1431.exe
356,583,291 bytes
SHA1: 1EDFD80947F4A89A0D80C94AB7CAF3C2BE7224C5

Using the SHA1 in a search, I got this link.
Verify the size and hash.

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/creativesuite/CS2_EOL/PHSP/PhSp_CS2_English.exe

A Google on

PhSp_CS2_English archive.org

SHA1: 1EDFD80947F4A89A0D80C94AB7CAF3C2BE7224C5
SHA256: 97472D344667FC986025BE0DB8AA4B302DF892705E96C8C67BAC965F054F9288

One of the web page lists the license keys,and perhaps
one license key was for a larger CS2 suite, while the other
key was just for Photoshop.

The Adobe applications are a bit annoying, because they tend
to hog the extensions. Sure, you can do this or you can do
that to correct it, but never the less, it's annoying having
to do any cleanup work whatsoever. Applications like Irfanview
allow deselecting all association attempts, such that
Irfanview never hops up unbidden. Irfanview does whatever a
user could reasonably expect it to do (be bound to a file type
or not be bound to a file type).

I have the same problem with Visual Studio. I had one OS tamed
to open a .c in Notepad for a quick look. And on other installs,
the pudgy-slow Visual Studio Community Edition tries to open
my file instead.

*******

Anyway, challenges ahead. But materials might still be available
to get some value from your newer OS.

Paul

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<rnvvib9ynjfs.1ogso3emyr19i.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3914&group=alt.windows7.general#3914

From: jj4public@gmail.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:48:56 +0700
 by: JJ - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 01:48 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:53:39 -0400, crasso@verizon.net wrote:
> I got a 'free' copy of Adobe Photoshop3 way back when. Upgraded it to
> Photoshop5 and installed it on WindowsXP. I never tried to install it
> on Win7 till today. The CD flatly refuses to install, the OS telling
> me to contact my publisher. Yeah I'll bet Adobe will SELL me a version
> that will install on Win7 for a huge price, but they're no longer
> interested in version 5.
> Does anyone know a trick to outwit the CD? I've got plenty of
> applications installed in the ProgramFilesx86 section of Win7, why not
> this one?

PS3's installer application is 16-bit, so it can't be run natively in 64-bit
Windows.

However, the PS3 application itself is 32-bit. The 16-bit Windows 3 has
Win32s subsystem to run 32-bit applications.

With some effort and the right tool, the installer package can be extracted,
and PS3 may still be usable in 64-bit Windows 7.

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<ozugkhejqmca$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3915&group=alt.windows7.general#3915

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:30:16 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 03:30 UTC

crasso@verizon.net wrote:

> I got a 'free' copy of Adobe Photoshop3 way back when. Upgraded it to
> Photoshop5 and installed it on WindowsXP. I never tried to install it
> on Win7 till today. The CD flatly refuses to install, the OS telling
> me to contact my publisher. Yeah I'll bet Adobe will SELL me a version
> that will install on Win7 for a huge price, but they're no longer
> interested in version 5.
> Does anyone know a trick to outwit the CD? I've got plenty of
> applications installed in the ProgramFilesx86 section of Win7, why not
> this one?

As others have noted, the program might be 32-bit, but its installer is
16-bit. WOW (Windows on Windows) is a shim used to run programs with a
lesser bitwidth than normally supported in Windows.

While there was a 64-bit version of Windows XP (a crippled version of
Windows Server 2003 with the XP desktop GUI), unlikely that was the old
Windows XP that you used. Instead you have Windows XP x86 (32-bit), so
it had the 16-bit WOW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_on_Windows

You didn't mention the bitwidth of your Windows 7 installation, but
likely you chose (or was pre-installed) the 64-bit (x64) version. The
x64 version has 64-bit support, and 32-bit WOW support, but not 16-bit
WOW support.

I've never tried the following, but the article claims 16-bit WOW can be
added to Windows x64; see:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/

That is for Windows 10. See if the fondue.exe program is available
under your Windows 7 installation. If that solution isn't workable on
Windows 7, you could use a virtual machine (e.g., VirtualBox) in which
to run a 32-bit version of Windows which would have the 16-bit WOW.
If the Windows 7 installation you are now using is not fettered as an
upgrade from Window XP (an upgrade nulls the prior license to carry you
into a new license), you could install Windows XP into the VM (virtual
machine), and run the 16-bit Photoshop installer from there. However,
that means you have to load the VM when you want to use the old
Photoshop version.

Others recommended using PaintShop Pro (PSP) to replace Photoshop, and
mentioned PSP is free. Not according to:

https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/free-trials/

Free download and free trial is not freeware. $80 for PaintShop Pro
2022 (https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/standard/).
Maybe one of their older versions became free.

PaintShop Pro vs Photoshop
https://www.educba.com/paintshop-pro-vs-photoshop/
(no datestamp which is typical of blogs)

Those interested only in freeware (and FOSS in particular) that want to
do everything that Photoshop can do often recommend GIMP. I remember
looking at it years ago, and it was tough to learn, but it wasn't an
important project to me.

https://www.gimp.org/

It was also mentioned at:

https://www.creativebloq.com/photoshop/alternatives-1131641

when hunting around for "photoshop alternative". Note the article lists
both payware and freeware alternatives.

https://blog.appsumo.com/alternatives-to-photoshop/

That article differentiates between paid and free alternatives.

There is Photoshop Express, but that is clearly oriented to the mobile
platforms, and is a freemium product (advanced features require paying a
subscription).

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-express.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_Express

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<t1gtoa$57t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3916&group=alt.windows7.general#3916

From: mscir@yahoo.com (Mike S)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 21:57:46 -0700
 by: Mike S - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 04:57 UTC

On 3/23/2022 6:48 PM, JJ wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:53:39 -0400, crasso@verizon.net wrote:
>> I got a 'free' copy of Adobe Photoshop3 way back when. Upgraded it to
>> Photoshop5 and installed it on WindowsXP. I never tried to install it
>> on Win7 till today. The CD flatly refuses to install, the OS telling
>> me to contact my publisher. Yeah I'll bet Adobe will SELL me a version
>> that will install on Win7 for a huge price, but they're no longer
>> interested in version 5.
>> Does anyone know a trick to outwit the CD? I've got plenty of
>> applications installed in the ProgramFilesx86 section of Win7, why not
>> this one?
>
> PS3's installer application is 16-bit, so it can't be run natively in 64-bit
> Windows.
>
> However, the PS3 application itself is 32-bit. The 16-bit Windows 3 has
> Win32s subsystem to run 32-bit applications.
>
> With some effort and the right tool, the installer package can be extracted,
> and PS3 may still be usable in 64-bit Windows 7.

Can you install it by running the installer using Dosbox on the w7 system?

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<t1hhhu$92e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3918&group=alt.windows7.general#3918

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:35:41 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:35 UTC

On 24/03/2022 03:30, VanguardLH wrote:

> crasso@verizon.net wrote:
>>
>> I got a 'free' copy of Adobe Photoshop3 way back when. Upgraded it to
>> Photoshop5 and installed it on WindowsXP. I never tried to install it
>> on Win7 till today. The CD flatly refuses to install, the OS telling
>> me to contact my publisher. Yeah I'll bet Adobe will SELL me a version
>> that will install on Win7 for a huge price, but they're no longer
>> interested in version 5.
>> Does anyone know a trick to outwit the CD? I've got plenty of
>> applications installed in the ProgramFilesx86 section of Win7, why not
>> this one?

Sometimes the installer of a program is deliberately crippled by tying
it to a particular version of Windows, and sometimes this can be
outwitted by editing an installation file. I have done this in the past
but it was so long ago that I can't remember many details now. What you
could try is:

1) While the dialog box reporting failure is still displayed, cast
around for the temporary directory created to hold the installation
files, and copy them elsewhere.

2) Then look through them for files with names like 'Setup.ini' or some
such, and examine them in Notepad.

3) You may find such a setting labelled something like 'Allowed',
'Versions', 'OS', etc which you can change to match your own. Note that
it will probably use version numbers rather than names.

> As others have noted, the program might be 32-bit, but its installer is
> 16-bit. WOW (Windows on Windows) is a shim used to run programs with a
> lesser bitwidth than normally supported in Windows.
>
> While there was a 64-bit version of Windows XP (a crippled version of
> Windows Server 2003 with the XP desktop GUI), unlikely that was the old
> Windows XP that you used. Instead you have Windows XP x86 (32-bit), so
> it had the 16-bit WOW.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_on_Windows
>
> You didn't mention the bitwidth of your Windows 7 installation, but
> likely you chose (or was pre-installed) the 64-bit (x64) version. The
> x64 version has 64-bit support, and 32-bit WOW support, but not 16-bit
> WOW support.
>
> I've never tried the following, but the article claims 16-bit WOW can be
> added to Windows x64; see:
>
> https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/
>
> That is for Windows 10. See if the fondue.exe program is available
> under your Windows 7 installation. If that solution isn't workable on
> Windows 7, you could use a virtual machine (e.g., VirtualBox) in which
> to run a 32-bit version of Windows which would have the 16-bit WOW.
> If the Windows 7 installation you are now using is not fettered as an
> upgrade from Window XP (an upgrade nulls the prior license to carry you
> into a new license), you could install Windows XP into the VM (virtual
> machine), and run the 16-bit Photoshop installer from there. However,
> that means you have to load the VM when you want to use the old
> Photoshop version.

Microsoft used to supply Virtual PC VMs for web developers to test
different versions of Internet Explorer. I have two here - from
memory, the first is fully licensed so does not need a product key, but
the second is not and so does require a license key other than the one
for your PC:
Windows_XP_IE6.exe
Windows_7_IE9.exe

I do not know whether these are still available from Microsoft's
download centre, but there are some links in this 2011 post which you
could try.

https://www.mydigitallife.net/windows-7-vista-and-xp-vhd-with-ie6-ie7-ie8-or-ie9-free-download/

Note: One respondent, perhaps more, to the OP seems to confuse Adobe
Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. They are two different programs. I have
two versions of the latter, from memory 6.02, and the one I'm actually
using, 8.1, which I have installed, after some initial misunderstanding
on my part*, on W7 successfully. It occasionally hangs dead while
dragging things like rulers, cropping or selection boxes, etc, which is
certainly a PITA, but I've largely counteracted this by getting into the
habit of saving my work before attempting any such operation, and
occasionally also, if I forget, when the program is next launched, it
manages to remember the previous session that crashed and resurrect it.
I've used it successfully to clean up many photos from my family's
albums going back several generations.

* In case it's useful to anyone, this is my original explanation here
of my initial misunderstanding when trying to install PSP8 on W7:

I have the installation file for a Try & Buy version of PSP 8.1, but
it'd been so long since I'd last ran it, that I'd forgotten the slightly
obscure way it works. Most Try & Buy software launches normally and
works normally if only for a limited period of time, perhaps warning you
via it's loading screen or a desktop background that you need to buy &
register before the expiry date. This program has a loading screen
which looks quite like the normal one, because of which I hadn't looked
at it closely, except that there are what looks like two extra words,
but in fact they're buttons, at the bottom of it. I can't remember now
exactly what they say, but they offer a choice to continue to use the
software unregistered, or to register it, and until you click one or
other of these words, I repeat they don't look like buttons, everything
grinds to a halt - for example pressing <Esc> to bypass or discard the
additional buttons to the loading screen, and therefore not clicked
either of them, everything else in the program interface appeared to be
completely hung, thus causing me to make the erroneous report above! Now
that I've discovered the problem, the program seems perfectly usable in W7.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<t1hojo$vmd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3919&group=alt.windows7.general#3919

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:36:29 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 12:36 UTC

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote

| Others recommended using PaintShop Pro (PSP) to replace Photoshop, and
| mentioned PSP is free. Not according to:
| | https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/free-trials/
| | Free download and free trial is not freeware. $80 for PaintShop Pro
| 2022 (https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/standard/).
| Maybe one of their older versions became free.

I provided the link. You could have checked it before
complicating matters. The older versions predate when
Corel bought it from Jasc.

PSP 4 actually used to be
given away for free with some hardware. Even PS was.
My brother got PS for Mac with a printer. Though when
he went to upgrade to PS5 they gave him a very hard time.
Adobe claimed that since he had listed a company he
worked for during install, that company had the software
license. He had to get an official letter, from a company
he no longer worked for, to allow the upgrade.

PSP5 is just an installer. It never had an install key.
I'm not sure about later versions on the "old versions"
sites, but I know v. 5 is legit. If Corel considered it
illegal and had standing to say so then I'm guessing it
would have been taken offline a long time ago.

The page you linked is just a sleazeball Corel ad, making
it look like it's free but is actually just a 30 day free trial
for bloatware. Those ads are obnoxious. They make it look
free and it's a chore to even find out what the price is.

PSP has always been a good alternative to the ridiculous
pricing of PS, and now PS is only available as rental software.
Unfortunately, I don't see that Corel is putting out a decent
product. I would only recommend the older Jasc versions. For
$50-100 it would be worth the money if it really worked well,
but I almost never run PSP16 that I have. It adds little beyond
PSP5 other than dummy features, yet it's 10 times the size.
It takes several seconds for that monster to just get up off
the floor when I start it up. PSP5 is as fast as Notepad.

There's also a very interesting program called PhotoDemon.
I originally found it because it's OSS in VB6. Since I write
software in VB6, the code base is like a library of graphic
code:

https://photodemon.org/

Download is about 13 MB. It supports XP to 10. No need
to install. When I tried it out it seemed to do just about
everything, even supporting RAW. I just downloaded the
latest. It looks very good. And it allows me to get rid of the
black window theme, which I dislike. :)

That's one of the things I've always hated about Corel. They
impose their own window theme and don't allow changing it.

GIMP has always been pretty good, but never quite finished.
Last time I tried it they still didn't ave a proper MDI interface.
Just lots of toolbars floating around with an option to "dock"
them. The Save menu only worked for their proproetary formats.
Normal saves like BMP/TIF/JPG had to be "exported". The GIMP
team wanted you to know that saving in such formats is
highly irregular.

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<XnsAE64905627684ammammatatiscalineti@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3920&group=alt.windows7.general#3920

From: ammammata@tiscalinet.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 13:11:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 13:11 UTC

Il giorno Wed 23 Mar 2022 04:53:39p, ** ha inviato su alt.windows7.general
il messaggio news:a4gm3htqpdv2n4uhn53rn853ukojis02jr@4ax.com. Vediamo cosa
ha scritto:

> I never tried to install it
> on Win7 till today.

activate virtual pc (included if w7 is professional) and run the old
program in the vm

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<6gmuf$DL0HPiFw+x@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3922&group=alt.windows7.general#3922

From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:15:39 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:15 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 at 22:30:16, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my
[]
>Others recommended using PaintShop Pro (PSP) to replace Photoshop, and
>mentioned PSP is free. Not according to:
[]
I remember seeing one of the big graphic suites - as a CD - being given
away with an HP printer cartridge pack (I think it was a
previous-to-current one).

One of the big graphic-manipulation suites - I _think_ it was the one
that included Photoshop, BICBW - was _sort of_ released free:

There was something to do with an activation server, which the producing
company wanted to turn off. I'm not sure how that worked - _maybe_ the
software always "phoned home" every time you ran it, and had to get a
reply from the server before it would work? And the company had sold the
software saying it would always work? Anyway, the company wanted to turn
that server off, so released a full version of that suite that anyone
could download, which did _not_ require the server. They stressed that
the download was only supposed to be downloaded by those who had bought
the software, but there was no verification of this! It was - for the
time - quite large downloads: I think about three CDs.

Needless to say, lots of people downloaded it! I suspect lots never
installed it.

"I'm not against women. Not often enough, anyway." - Groucho Marx

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<6b0p3h56jof9tlo18mhpu6hvg8d0ajv5vd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3923&group=alt.windows7.general#3923

From: crasso@verizon.net (John B. Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 11:06:01 -0400
 by: John B. Smith - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:06 UTC

Wow, I never expected to get so much help with what I thought was a
hopeless problem. Unfortunately I can't understand much of what you
wizards are talking about. I will study your thoughts and keep picking
at the problem.

My Win7Pro is 64 bit. PS3 came free with a flatbed scanner on 5
diskettes. I paid for the upgrade to PS5 which came on a CD. You
insert the CD and it opens automatically (in XP32bit), select
Photoshop to install and at some point it asks you for your bonafides
of a previous license. I then scroll to the 1st diskette of PS3 that I
have inserted in my DISKETTE DRIVE where it finds something it likes
and approves the install to proceed. (lots of luck getting such a
device on a new computer, this one I built in July 2008). I think I
put in a license number. Then the rest of install takes place.

In Win7Pro the install button doesn't work. If I run one setup file or
other I get that message from the OS to contact the publisher.

I manipulate photos mostly for my amusement. Sometmes very useful
inserting arrows or texts or what have you. I am no good at
manipulating picture quality, I always make it worse. Morphing a face
in? forget it, it ain't as easy as tv shows make it look. No editor I
ever tried comes close to the PS toolbox. And since I've used it for a
long time the stuggle to master another is a PIA.

I spend a great deal of time in XP which is still installed as dual
boot. As you know the struggle with an outdated Firefox and
persnicketty web sites that will only halfass work but never tell you
why is driving me into Win7Pro more and more often.

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<p3th8qp9whjz$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3924&group=alt.windows7.general#3924

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:33:12 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:33 UTC

Mayayana wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote
>
>| Others recommended using PaintShop Pro (PSP) to replace Photoshop, and
>| mentioned PSP is free. Not according to:
>|
>| https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/free-trials/
>|
>| Free download and free trial is not freeware. $80 for PaintShop Pro
>| 2022 (https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/standard/).
>| Maybe one of their older versions became free.
>
> I provided the link. You could have checked it before
> complicating matters. The older versions predate when
> Corel bought it from Jasc.

The parts you snipped:

Others recommended using PaintShop Pro (PSP) to replace Photoshop, and
mentioned PSP is free.

Maybe one of their older versions became free.

I only looked up the current version, and /noted/ a prior version might
be free. I wasn't going to bother to hunt through old versions to
determine which were free, and just being an old version doesn't mean it
is free. I never used PSP, so I couldn't speak from experience, only
note others, like you, who said there were free old versions.

I couldn't find old version downloads from the PSP site. Users have to
hope 3rd party download sites have valid and non-malicious copies of the
old software. How thorough is oldversion.com's AV scan of their files?
Or do they pass that responsibility onto users doing their own scans? I
couldn't find mention at oldversion.com regarding file safety. They've
been around a long time.

> PSP 4 actually used to be given away for free with some hardware. Even
> PS was.

Yep, and software from other vendors that match with the hardware, but
wasn't available for free when not in the hardware bundle. Unlikely the
OP has the hardware with the bundled free PSP software. In addition,
I've gotten the bundled free software, but it was crippled. No, not an
old version that didn't have a feature, but a version (perhaps not the
latest) that had features disabled that would be available in the same
version, but the non-free version. That is, the bundled free version is
not the same as the same version available separately. It's crippled.

> PSP5 is just an installer. It never had an install key.
> I'm not sure about later versions on the "old versions"
> sites, but I know v. 5 is legit.

Thanks for the update.

> The page you linked is just a sleazeball Corel ad, making
> it look like it's free but is actually just a 30 day free trial
> for bloatware.

Both obvious by the "free-trials" in the URL, and "full 30-Day free
trial" content on the page.

> Those ads are obnoxious. They make it look
> free and it's a chore to even find out what the price is.

I found it, and noted the page showing pricing.

> Unfortunately, I don't see that Corel is putting out a decent
> product.

Corel is not a soft publisher. They resell software. Occasionally they
will contact out some programming (development), but those folks are no
in-house employees. When Corel bought a company to acquire their
software that was our competitor, we had a party, because we knew we'd
be getting more corporate customers due to poor quality of support at
Corel, and lack of intimate knowledge with the software (they didn't
program it).

> GIMP has always been pretty good, but never quite finished.

I have the same "unfinished" opinion of LibreOffice. I use it, but
sometimes it's frustrating, especially their Calc component that is
still missing lots of features from Excel. But, it's free, and good
enough.

I trialed GIMP for a short time, but decided it was too hard to figure
out, and way beyond what I needed. My local library has some books on
it, plus I could find info on the Web, but I decided not to spend lots
of time familiarizing myself with a cannon trying to swat a fly. I have
no idea how deep into Photoshop the OP was learned.

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<edr3AIJ89IPiFwpB@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3925&group=alt.windows7.general#3925

From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:34:20 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:34 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 11:06:01, John B. Smith <crasso@verizon.net>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
[]
>My Win7Pro is 64 bit. PS3 came free with a flatbed scanner on 5
>diskettes. I paid for the upgrade to PS5 which came on a CD. You
>insert the CD and it opens automatically (in XP32bit), select
>Photoshop to install and at some point it asks you for your bonafides
>of a previous license. I then scroll to the 1st diskette of PS3 that I

Ah, so the 5 you have _was_ an upgrade, not a standalone.

>have inserted in my DISKETTE DRIVE where it finds something it likes
>and approves the install to proceed. (lots of luck getting such a
>device on a new computer, this one I built in July 2008). I think I

You can get USB floppy drives, or could; I certainly have seen them used
on 7-64.

>put in a license number. Then the rest of install takes place.
>
>In Win7Pro the install button doesn't work. If I run one setup file or
>other I get that message from the OS to contact the publisher.

Hm. That sounds like you'd need the advice others have given.

>I manipulate photos mostly for my amusement. Sometmes very useful
>inserting arrows or texts or what have you. I am no good at

I do all that sort of thing in IrfanView these days (press F12 to bring
up the "paint toolbar"). You do have to be moderately careful, as it's a
bitmap editor, but for annotating screenshots or photos I find it fine.
And it loads and runs a lot faster than I remember PSP doing (never
tried Photoshop).

>manipulating picture quality, I always make it worse. Morphing a face
>in? forget it, it ain't as easy as tv shows make it look. No editor I

You have to be Abby Sciuto or Tim McGee (-:

>ever tried comes close to the PS toolbox. And since I've used it for a
>long time the stuggle to master another is a PIA.

IKWYM. (I have so much "muscle memory" for IrfanView.)

>I spend a great deal of time in XP which is still installed as dual
>boot. As you know the struggle with an outdated Firefox and
>persnicketty web sites that will only halfass work but never tell you
>why is driving me into Win7Pro more and more often.

I still use my Firefox 27.0.1 - under W7! - where it will work, but have
to use Chrome for many things. (Where it does work, F27 is often less
trouble - and the equally-old version of DownloadHelper I have with it
downloads videos really fast when it works!)

Stop calling unmarried people "single" as if they are incomplete. I prefer
spouse-free. It is not a coincidence we are the new majority.
- Scott Adams, 2015

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<1gs1vaimd6snd.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3926&group=alt.windows7.general#3926

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 11:53:55 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:53 UTC

John B. Smith wrote:

> lots of luck getting [a diskette drive ] on a new computer

A 2008 mobo may have the header for a floppy drive. If you have a 3.5"
drive bay, or even a 5.25" drive bay where you can use an adapter to use
3.5" devices, you could add a diskette drive to your old computer. With
a 3.5" drive bay, the diskette drive's front face fills the opening.
With a 3.5" diskette drive in an adapter in a 5.25" bay, you'd need a
front bezel with a cutout for the face of the drive to show through.
With either setup, you'll need a mini-4pin power plug from the PSU cable
harness, or an adapter cable, and the 34-pin IDC cable (and the 34-pin
header on the mobo). What you can do inside the case depends on what
mobo is inside there.

Else, you can get a USB-attached diskette drive.

https://www.newegg.com/bytecc-model-bt-144-1-44-1-25-mb-mac-os-8-6-or-above-windows-95-or-above/p/N82E16821103402?Item=N82E16821103402&Description=3.5%20floppy%20drive&cm_re=3.5_floppy%20drive-_-21-103-402-_-Product&quicklink=true

The USB solution is easier assuming you have free USB ports available at
the time you want to use the USB floppy drive.

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<56ep3hh0ar3kjmnfrsp8t0hggqup80cqom@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3927&group=alt.windows7.general#3927

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 11:34:17 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 18:34 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:34:20 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 11:06:01, John B. Smith <crasso@verizon.net>
>wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>[]
>>My Win7Pro is 64 bit. PS3 came free with a flatbed scanner on 5
>>diskettes. I paid for the upgrade to PS5 which came on a CD. You
>>insert the CD and it opens automatically (in XP32bit), select
>>Photoshop to install and at some point it asks you for your bonafides
>>of a previous license. I then scroll to the 1st diskette of PS3 that I
>
>Ah, so the 5 you have _was_ an upgrade, not a standalone.
>
>>have inserted in my DISKETTE DRIVE where it finds something it likes
>>and approves the install to proceed. (lots of luck getting such a
>>device on a new computer, this one I built in July 2008). I think I
>
>You can get USB floppy drives, or could; I certainly have seen them used
>on 7-64.

I was about to say you can also buy an internal diskette drive, but
then I thought I had better check first.

So I went to the Amazon web site. Yes, I found lots of USB diskette
drives, but only one internal drive. So you can, but there aren't a
lot to choose from, and before long there may be none.

--
The real, original Ken Blake, not some other newcomer

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<t1ik9k$93o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3928&group=alt.windows7.general#3928

From: michael.trew@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:28:41 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 20:28 UTC

On 3/24/2022 12:53, VanguardLH wrote:
> John B. Smith wrote:
>
>> lots of luck getting [a diskette drive ] on a new computer
>
> A 2008 mobo may have the header for a floppy drive. If you have a 3.5"
> drive bay

When I built my current PC circa 2015, I used several lightly-used
parts. The absolute newest MotherBoard I could find with native floppy
disk support was a circa 2011 Intel MB that was lightly used from a
commercial workstation. I have one internal 3.5 drive installed, rarely
used, mostly for kicks. When I eventually move onto a new machine, this
certainly won't be an option anymore.

> Else, you can get a USB-attached diskette drive.

Good suggestion.

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<t1ivst$1skh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3929&group=alt.windows7.general#3929

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 19:46:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 23:46 UTC

On 3/24/2022 11:06 AM, John B. Smith wrote:

> will only halfass work but never tell you
> why is driving me into Win7Pro more and more often.

You have Pro!!!! You are in luck, as it were.

You can install your Photoshop 5 in WinXP Mode.

And when it launches, it will look like it is running
in the Windows 7 Pro desktop, ready to work with as normal.

The only limitations:

3072 MB as practical Photoshop limit.
Photoshop 32-bit has an 1800MB limit.
Five undo buffers would be about 300MB each.

Photoshop will run on one core, due to the
limitations of VirtualPC from Connectix technology

But the actual gubbins will be stored in a WinXP.vhd.
That's a VirtualPC container. (A couple of these pictures
were created for other USENET posts.)

https://i.postimg.cc/5yh5ZwWV/winxp-mode-network.gif

Setting it up right, may allow sharing to work. By
default, the virtual machine running under Windows 7 Pro
can "web surf". But file sharing may need some help
by changing the network setting while the VM is shutdown
and not just sleeping or something.

https://i.postimg.cc/zBDc5dJ5/fixed-network-winxpm.gif

*******

I can see why I'm having trouble finding breadcrumbs.

Windows6.1-KB958559-x86.msu 9,591,606 bytes [Windows Virtual PC for W7]
[Good for more than WinXPMode]
[Runs on one core]
[32 bit OSes only]
There is a newer version.
(The corresponding newer version of VPC2007,
starts up slower.)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=3702

WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe 492,597,008 bytes [Decompresses to
VirtualXP.VHD 1,212,712,448 bytes]

OK, so let's step back into the time machine and come back
to the year 2022, where downloads are harder to find, and
the people aren't as friendly.

Part 1 - Obtaining the hosting software for the virtual machine
we are about to install.

Unfortunately, I don't have traceability. I don't have these
versions on a disk drive. I like to post pointers to files,
where I know nobody has altered them.

This could have been a pointer, but it's been buggered.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180816181608/https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=3702

Windows6.1-KB958559-x86-RefreshPkg.msu 15.3 MB <=== if the Host OS is Win7 SP1 32-bit
Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu 16.3 MB <=== if the Host OS is Win7 SP1 64-bit <=== yours

But, we can find a separately uploaded version.

https://archive.org/download/windows-virtual-pc-windows-6.1-kb-958559-x-64-refresh-pkg

==> https://archive.org/download/windows-virtual-pc-windows-6.1-kb-958559-x-64-refresh-pkg/Windows%20Virtual%20PC%20Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu

Name: Windows Virtual PC Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu ==> Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu
Size: 17,091,624 bytes (16 MiB)
SHA1: 25F621467DBE03D9EE8DE0FDEB5B3903AA6C7D95
SHA256: 6F3F020F2BE889B5476E5159179A7E7FA3349D567FCC20AE9CBACF08C8E1FEF4

https://www.download3k.com/Install-Microsoft-Virtual-PC-2004.html

Name: Windows6.1-KB958559-x86-RefreshPkg.msu <=== hard to know why someone would need this, but it is here
Size: 16070039 bytes (15 MiB)
SHA1: 3b63b72d3ce6d8efcc893c781ddcbaa34be77341
SHA256: FE5C4EDE160BC7016C7AFC6B344AF14E44B267637585A72D7F6522DD4AC63AEA

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/fe5c4ede160bc7016c7afc6b344af14e44b267637585a72d7f6522dd4ac63aea/details

Your OS would be 64 bit or 32 bit (check the System Control Panel if unsure).

0) Use your AV to scan it.
1) Open an Administrator Command Prompt

cd /d %userprofile%\Downloads
wusa Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu # Assumes you renamed the file to the
# accepted filename used on virustotal
# and recognized by other USENET users.

Now, we can install the WinXP container file, and this installer
should check that the folders necessary, exist before it runs.

Part 2 - Obtaining the virtual machine container, activated on a "Win7Pro or higher" setup

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8002

Blocked by validation. Have to switch to Win7 to operate the controls.
"Validate" stopped working years ago by the way. Really hopeless.
But we know what we're after, and this will not stop us :-) I just
have to find my on-disk copy to generate some hashes for safety.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111214210837/http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/exe-validation.aspx?id=8002

Name: WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe
Size: 492,597,008 bytes (469 MiB)
SHA1: BF9AE7899A332C083676D7D973A4AB68EA4143B1
SHA256: 0388D943F037C832FC205F514F1C1C1F076963B1A9249AF05B3BD001F09E713F

Filename and approximate size (after install) before adding Photoshop 5 to it.
This is where they stored it, a nonstandard method if ever I saw one. This
is where it would be on a Windows 7 SP1 x64 C: drive.

Name: Windows XP Mode base.vhd C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\
Size: 1,212,712,448 bytes (1156 MiB)

OK, Reddit says to try this. We'd then run the checksum on it later,
to verify it's unharmed. But checking this is not essential, because it's
on Archive.org. There is only one flavor of this. It's not like the VM Hosting
software, where we needed the correct x86 or x64 16MB program file installer.
Note that the server, serves these at 345KB/sec. You can use aria2 to set up
multiple download connections to reduce the download time (only if clicking
this link, the download time is really really annoying you). At the
very least, verify the size is correct (492,597,008 bytes).

http://web.archive.org/web/20201119233243if_/https://download.microsoft.com/download/7/2/C/72C7BAB7-2F32-4530-878A-292C20E1845A/WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe

*******

OK, now I have to switch out some drives on the other machine,
to (hopefully) demonstrate my working copy. The "Windows XP Mode base.vhd"
is visible in my inventory, which means I did an install already.

Here is a rather large picture. There may be a button at the top to
"Download Original". The original copy will be less fuzzy.

[Picture] If the frame is blank, right-click and select "Reload"

https://i.postimg.cc/kgrhHHXn/winxp-mode.gif

Paul

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<1ujhxpnbfo38q$.154drzb83u13w.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3930&group=alt.windows7.general#3930

From: jj4public@gmail.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:07:27 +0700
 by: JJ - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 05:07 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 21:57:46 -0700, Mike S wrote:

> On 3/23/2022 6:48 PM, JJ wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:53:39 -0400, crasso@verizon.net wrote:
>>> I got a 'free' copy of Adobe Photoshop3 way back when. Upgraded it to
>>> Photoshop5 and installed it on WindowsXP. I never tried to install it
>>> on Win7 till today. The CD flatly refuses to install, the OS telling
>>> me to contact my publisher. Yeah I'll bet Adobe will SELL me a version
>>> that will install on Win7 for a huge price, but they're no longer
>>> interested in version 5.
>>> Does anyone know a trick to outwit the CD? I've got plenty of
>>> applications installed in the ProgramFilesx86 section of Win7, why not
>>> this one?
>>
>> PS3's installer application is 16-bit, so it can't be run natively in 64-bit
>> Windows.
>>
>> However, the PS3 application itself is 32-bit. The 16-bit Windows 3 has
>> Win32s subsystem to run 32-bit applications.
>>
>> With some effort and the right tool, the installer package can be extracted,
>> and PS3 may still be usable in 64-bit Windows 7.
>
> Can you install it by running the installer using Dosbox on the w7 system?

The installer is a 16-bit Windows application, so within DOSBox, it'll need
to be run from a Windows 3 installation. It can't be run from a pure DOS
environment.

That being said, there is an open source project called WineVDM (aka. OTVDM)
which aims to emulates Win16 platform for use in 64-bit Windows.

https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

It's still not perfect, but it's quite usable. I use it mainly to run
Windows 3's MS-Write, since MS-Write has no 32-bit version.

https://i.imgur.com/oVbgapm.jpg

Though, I don't know whether it can flawlessly run InstallShield v3 based
software installer (which is used by PS3).

Re: installing Photoshop5?

<t1nld9$pqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3931&group=alt.windows7.general#3931

From: dave61430@nowhere.org (david c)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 18:18:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 18:18 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:53:39 -0400, crasso wrote:

> I got a 'free' copy of Adobe Photoshop3 way back when. Upgraded it to
> Photoshop5 and installed it on WindowsXP. I never tried to install it on
> Win7 till today. The CD flatly refuses to install, the OS telling me to
> contact my publisher. Yeah I'll bet Adobe will SELL me a version that
> will install on Win7 for a huge price, but they're no longer interested
> in version 5.
> Does anyone know a trick to outwit the CD? I've got plenty of
> applications installed in the ProgramFilesx86 section of Win7, why not
> this one?

Unless you are doing professional work, there is nothing magic about
PhotoShop.

There are suggestions below to find a free version of PSP. I use linux,
learning it wasn't that great an effort, I am now happy with Gimp. It's
free, has more capability than most of us would ever need. There are
numerous tutorials on youtube, so give it a try!