From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Jabra 30 USB headset too quiet
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 19:14:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 19:14 UTC

Hi everyone!

I used to make phonecalls with my Logitech H390 (USB) headset over several
years, and it always worked fine, but a few days ago the cable broke.

So, I switched to a "GN Netcom Jabra EVOLVE 30 II" (also USB).

This is also high quality, but with one limitation:
The microphone signal is ways too quiet, meaning, I have to go to maximum
amplification (+11 dB) in Pavucontrol. There's no room left, in the case
that this is still not loud enough.

I tested this in Ubuntu 23.10, as well as in Mageia 9.
Same outcome.

Today I asked some of my colleagues who are also using Jabra for making
phone calls, but they are working with Windows, and they said signal
strength is ok. Looks as if there was no hardware issue with Jabra.

Anyone having the same issue?
Is there a (hidden) setting for additional boost somewhere, or any other
trick to try?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Markus

Re: Jabra 30 USB headset too quiet

<usee80$1ig4s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3897&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3897

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Jabra 30 USB headset too quiet
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 07:20:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 07:20 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 01:06:06 +0000 Vincent Coen wrote:

> Hello Markus!
>
> Thursday March 07 2024 19:14, Markus Robert Kessler wrote to All:
>
> If you have an ohm meter check the impedance on the socket and compare
> to headset spec. Oh, calibrate the meter first !
>

> > Hi everyone!
>
> > I used to make phonecalls with my Logitech H390 (USB) headset over
> > several years, and it always worked fine, but a few days ago the
> > cable broke.
>
> > So, I switched to a "GN Netcom Jabra EVOLVE 30 II" (also USB).
>
> > This is also high quality, but with one limitation:
> > The microphone signal is ways too quiet, meaning, I have to go to
> > maximum amplification (+11 dB) in Pavucontrol. There's no room left,
> > in the case that this is still not loud enough.
>
> > I tested this in Ubuntu 23.10, as well as in Mageia 9.
> > Same outcome.
>
> > Today I asked some of my colleagues who are also using Jabra for
> > making phone calls, but they are working with Windows, and they said
> > signal strength is ok. Looks as if there was no hardware issue with
> > Jabra.
>
> > Anyone having the same issue?
> > Is there a (hidden) setting for additional boost somewhere, or any
> > other trick to try?

Hi, thanks!

What I forgot to mention is,

- I have two of these Jabra headsets
- both are new
- both behave in the same way

- upon pluggin in, kernel module 'hid_jabra' is loaded dynamically

Besides this, I checked for 0 Ohms between headset USB shield and
notebook / docking station shield.

Well, adding signal strength ok on Windows, and specific kernel module
loaded, together, it seems to me, that the issue is located in (Ubuntu's
and Mageia's) kernel module.

Any idea what to test next?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Markus

Re: Jabra 30 USB headset too quiet

<op.2kbkysu5a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3898&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3898

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 09:53:06 -0500
 by: David W. Hodgins - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 14:53 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 02:20:32 -0500, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 01:06:06 +0000 Vincent Coen wrote:
>
>> Hello Markus!
>>
>> Thursday March 07 2024 19:14, Markus Robert Kessler wrote to All:
>>
>> If you have an ohm meter check the impedance on the socket and compare
>> to headset spec. Oh, calibrate the meter first !
>>

>> > Hi everyone!
>>
>> > I used to make phonecalls with my Logitech H390 (USB) headset over
>> > several years, and it always worked fine, but a few days ago the
>> > cable broke.
>>
>> > So, I switched to a "GN Netcom Jabra EVOLVE 30 II" (also USB).
>>
>> > This is also high quality, but with one limitation:
>> > The microphone signal is ways too quiet, meaning, I have to go to
>> > maximum amplification (+11 dB) in Pavucontrol. There's no room left,
>> > in the case that this is still not loud enough.
>>
>> > I tested this in Ubuntu 23.10, as well as in Mageia 9.
>> > Same outcome.
>>
>> > Today I asked some of my colleagues who are also using Jabra for
>> > making phone calls, but they are working with Windows, and they said
>> > signal strength is ok. Looks as if there was no hardware issue with
>> > Jabra.
>>
>> > Anyone having the same issue?
>> > Is there a (hidden) setting for additional boost somewhere, or any
>> > other trick to try?
>
> Hi, thanks!
>
> What I forgot to mention is,
>
> - I have two of these Jabra headsets
> - both are new
> - both behave in the same way
>
> - upon pluggin in, kernel module 'hid_jabra' is loaded dynamically
>
> Besides this, I checked for 0 Ohms between headset USB shield and
> notebook / docking station shield.
>
> Well, adding signal strength ok on Windows, and specific kernel module
> loaded, together, it seems to me, that the issue is located in (Ubuntu's
> and Mageia's) kernel module.
>
> Any idea what to test next?

I found https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1629503#p1629503

While that article is about the mic not working, hdajackretask appears to
support output too. I've never used it before, so other then that I can't
help.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Jabra 30 USB headset too quiet

<usg492$1s46u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3900&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3900

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:42:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:42 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 09:53:06 -0500 David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 02:20:32 -0500, Markus Robert Kessler
> <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 01:06:06 +0000 Vincent Coen wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Markus!
>>>
>>> Thursday March 07 2024 19:14, Markus Robert Kessler wrote to All:
>>>
>>> If you have an ohm meter check the impedance on the socket and compare
>>> to headset spec. Oh, calibrate the meter first !

>> Hi, thanks!
>>
>> What I forgot to mention is,
>>
>> - I have two of these Jabra headsets - both are new - both behave in
>> the same way
>>
>> - upon pluggin in, kernel module 'hid_jabra' is loaded dynamically
>>
>> Besides this, I checked for 0 Ohms between headset USB shield and
>> notebook / docking station shield.
>>
>> Well, adding signal strength ok on Windows, and specific kernel module
>> loaded, together, it seems to me, that the issue is located in
>> (Ubuntu's and Mageia's) kernel module.
>>
>> Any idea what to test next?
>
> I found https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1629503#p1629503
>
> While that article is about the mic not working, hdajackretask appears
> to support output too. I've never used it before, so other then that I
> can't help.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Hi Dave, thanks a lot!

This issue is not so drastic with nowadays kernels - at least microphone
does work. It's just that there is no more room left, if the signal will
be still too low.

Also weird is the entry displayed on screen during boot time, and written
into journalctl:

usb 3-6.4.3: device descriptor read/64, error -32

which looks like this device is messing up the USB bus.

The funny thing is, this is the same message on two machines with
different hardware and different OS (Mageia, Ubuntu).

Maybe this should be reported upstream to the kernel people?
Jabra is widely deployed, and hence should be supported properly.

Thanks again,
best regards,

Markus

--