The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change

SubjectAuthor
* Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Changejaugustine
+* Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password ChangeAndy Burns
|+- Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password ChangeJack
|`- Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password ChangeNobody
+* Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password ChangeJörg Lorenz
|`- Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password ChangeJörg Lorenz
`* Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password ChangeVanguardLH
 `- Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password ChangeBrighton Rock

1
Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change

<ufl80j155javigu2hb53nin05t6t6tla0f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3867&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3867

From: jaugustine@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:32:55 -0500
 by: jaugustine@verizon.net - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:32 UTC

Hi,

My current version (102.15.1) of Thunderbird does NOT have the issues I
had with some earlier versions.

I use TB for my gmail (Google) email account. Note: I also have a couple
other email accounts.

Recently I changed my gmail account password at the server (not using TB).
Afterwards, I was unable to download my email.

I could NOT find via TB's Settings, etc, where to enter a new password or
edit the password.

A google search for the procedure showed a procedure for changing the
password in TB, but NOT for this newer version of TB.

I discovered a method by accident.

I composed a short email to send to my other email service. When I
clicked on "Send", it tried to send the email, then presented me with
options that included entering a new password. I entered the new PW.
A prompt, "Sign in with Google" displayed, then I saw "Mozilla Thunderbird
wants to access your Google Account".. I clicked on "Allow", and by
golly, it worked!

I did this procedure on 3 other PCs with this version of TB.

John

Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change

<l6j3sjFdc91U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3868&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3868

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:38:24 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:38 UTC

jaugustine wrote:

> Recently I changed my gmail account password at the server (not using TB).
> Afterwards, I was unable to download my email.
>
> I could NOT find via TB's Settings, etc, where to enter a new password or
> edit the password.

go into tools/settings/saved passwords

highlight and remove the one you changed, you should then be prompted
for it again at next connection (remember to tick the "save password"
button).

Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change

<uu1muc$3mqj2$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3869&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3869

From: noreply@mandrill.com (Jack)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:57:20 +0000
 by: Jack - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:57 UTC

On 27/03/2024 17:38, Andy Burns wrote:
> jaugustine wrote:
>
>> ��� Recently I changed my gmail account password at the server (not
>> using TB).
>> Afterwards, I was� unable to download my email.
>>
>> ��� I could NOT find via TB's Settings, etc, where to enter a new
>> password or
>> edit the password.
>
> go into tools/settings/saved passwords
>
> highlight and remove the one you changed, you should then be prompted
> for it again at next connection (remember to tick the "save password"
> button).

Or just type the new password where you double-clicked on "Saved
Passwords" panel. That box is "editable"if you "show passwords" and
follow the correct procedures!!!.

Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change

<f4o80jdj9043r0pisuq2sgin1g9j99fbo6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3870&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3870

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:09:52 -0700
 by: Nobody - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:09 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:38:24 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>jaugustine wrote:
>
>> Recently I changed my gmail account password at the server (not using TB).
>> Afterwards, I was unable to download my email.
>>
>> I could NOT find via TB's Settings, etc, where to enter a new password or
>> edit the password.
>
>go into tools/settings/saved passwords
>
>highlight and remove the one you changed, you should then be prompted
>for it again at next connection (remember to tick the "save password"
>button).

But the OP later describes accidentally discovering the method to have
Gmail/Google update/insert its OAuth2 token as password.

Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change

<uu1nkm$302i1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3871&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3871

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:13:42 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:13 UTC

Am 27.03.24 um 18:32 schrieb jaugustine@verizon.net:
> Hi,
>
> My current version (102.15.1) of Thunderbird does NOT have the issues I
> had with some earlier versions.
>
> I use TB for my gmail (Google) email account. Note: I also have a couple
> other email accounts.
>
> Recently I changed my gmail account password at the server (not using TB).
> Afterwards, I was unable to download my email.
>
> I could NOT find via TB's Settings, etc, where to enter a new password or
> edit the password.
>
> A google search for the procedure showed a procedure for changing the
> password in TB, but NOT for this newer version of TB.
>
> I discovered a method by accident.
>
> I composed a short email to send to my other email service. When I
> clicked on "Send", it tried to send the email, then presented me with
> options that included entering a new password. I entered the new PW.
> A prompt, "Sign in with Google" displayed, then I saw "Mozilla Thunderbird
> wants to access your Google Account".. I clicked on "Allow", and by
> golly, it worked!
>
> I did this procedure on 3 other PCs with this version of TB.

Excellent. Congrats!

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change

<uu1nmd$302i1$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3872&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3872

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:14:37 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:14 UTC

Am 27.03.24 um 19:13 schrieb Jörg Lorenz:
> Am 27.03.24 um 18:32 schrieb jaugustine@verizon.net:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My current version (102.15.1) of Thunderbird does NOT have the issues I
>> had with some earlier versions.
>>
>> I use TB for my gmail (Google) email account. Note: I also have a couple
>> other email accounts.
>>
>> Recently I changed my gmail account password at the server (not using TB).
>> Afterwards, I was unable to download my email.
>>
>> I could NOT find via TB's Settings, etc, where to enter a new password or
>> edit the password.
>>
>> A google search for the procedure showed a procedure for changing the
>> password in TB, but NOT for this newer version of TB.
>>
>> I discovered a method by accident.
>>
>> I composed a short email to send to my other email service. When I
>> clicked on "Send", it tried to send the email, then presented me with
>> options that included entering a new password. I entered the new PW.
>> A prompt, "Sign in with Google" displayed, then I saw "Mozilla Thunderbird
>> wants to access your Google Account".. I clicked on "Allow", and by
>> golly, it worked!
>>
>> I did this procedure on 3 other PCs with this version of TB.
>>

> Excellent. Congrats!

BTW: Check the password manager of TB.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change

<18y4q6i2nsgeg.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3873&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3873

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 22:01:25 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 03:01 UTC

<jaugustine@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My current version (102.15.1) of Thunderbird does NOT have the issues I
> had with some earlier versions.
>
> I use TB for my gmail (Google) email account. Note: I also have a couple
> other email accounts.
>
> Recently I changed my gmail account password at the server (not using TB).
> Afterwards, I was unable to download my email.
>
> I could NOT find via TB's Settings, etc, where to enter a new password or
> edit the password.
>
> A google search for the procedure showed a procedure for changing the
> password in TB, but NOT for this newer version of TB.
>
> I discovered a method by accident.
>
> I composed a short email to send to my other email service. When I
> clicked on "Send", it tried to send the email, then presented me with
> options that included entering a new password. I entered the new PW.
> A prompt, "Sign in with Google" displayed, then I saw "Mozilla Thunderbird
> wants to access your Google Account".. I clicked on "Allow", and by
> golly, it worked!
>
> I did this procedure on 3 other PCs with this version of TB.

Google switched to requiring OAUTH2 for authentication. Your new
password is only valid at their web site. For an e-mail client, an
OAUTH2 token is used. When you changed the password, the screens you
saw were web pages at Gmail asking you to login with whatever is your
current password, and ask for you to grant permission for access by that
client. The site then gives a new OAUTH2 token to your client. The
same process happens when you create a new Gmail account in your client.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/14114704?hl=en

Google started migrating their customers from login credentials to
OAUTH2 tokens over a year ago, but are progessively changing the
requirement. I got nailed a couple months ago. Microsoft is doing the
same; see:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/microsoft-oauth-authentication-and-thunderbird-202
https://www.emclient.com/blog/microsoft-disables-basic-authentication-for-all-accounts-521

Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change

<YVSdnVN4kMAMgZj7nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3875&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3875

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 07:30:25 +0000
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
From: harrymandispose-news@yahoo.com (Brighton Rock)
 by: Brighton Rock - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 07:30 UTC

On 28/03/2024 03:01, VanguardLH wrote:
> <jaugustine@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My current version (102.15.1) of Thunderbird does NOT have the issues I
>> had with some earlier versions.
>>
>> I use TB for my gmail (Google) email account. Note: I also have a couple
>> other email accounts.
>>
>> Recently I changed my gmail account password at the server (not using TB).
>> Afterwards, I was unable to download my email.
>>
>> I could NOT find via TB's Settings, etc, where to enter a new password or
>> edit the password.
>>
>> A google search for the procedure showed a procedure for changing the
>> password in TB, but NOT for this newer version of TB.
>>
>> I discovered a method by accident.
>>
>> I composed a short email to send to my other email service. When I
>> clicked on "Send", it tried to send the email, then presented me with
>> options that included entering a new password. I entered the new PW.
>> A prompt, "Sign in with Google" displayed, then I saw "Mozilla Thunderbird
>> wants to access your Google Account".. I clicked on "Allow", and by
>> golly, it worked!
>>
>> I did this procedure on 3 other PCs with this version of TB.
>
> Google switched to requiring OAUTH2 for authentication. Your new
> password is only valid at their web site. For an e-mail client, an
> OAUTH2 token is used. When you changed the password, the screens you
> saw were web pages at Gmail asking you to login with whatever is your
> current password, and ask for you to grant permission for access by that
> client. The site then gives a new OAUTH2 token to your client. The
> same process happens when you create a new Gmail account in your client.
>
> https://support.google.com/a/answer/14114704?hl=en
>
> Google started migrating their customers from login credentials to
> OAUTH2 tokens over a year ago, but are progessively changing the
> requirement. I got nailed a couple months ago. Microsoft is doing the
> same; see:
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/microsoft-oauth-authentication-and-thunderbird-202
> https://www.emclient.com/blog/microsoft-disables-basic-authentication-for-all-accounts-521
Thank you for those Microsoft links. On the Microsoft links: My
Thunderbird (115.9.0) in the UK doesn't offer OAUTH2 for Microsoft smtp
servers. Although they seem happy to works without OAUTH2. OAUTH2 is
offered for the POP servers.
I'm missing something somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right
direction please?

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Thunderbird V102.15.1, Email Password Change