From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Wireless printer
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 23:34:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 23:34 UTC

Ubuntu sees wireless printer. I connect to it.
Shut off printer and ubuntu complains printer is not there.
But how do I print to it?

I was told I need WiFi. But I use plain text dialup so I gave up.
But when it complained pritner was shut off, I wonder.

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Wireless printer

<urel6u$1mqov$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3866&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3866

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Wireless printer
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:03:09 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 06:03 UTC

On 2/24/2024 6:34 PM, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Ubuntu sees wireless printer. I connect to it.
> Shut off printer and ubuntu complains printer is not there.
> But how do I print to it?
>
> I was told I need WiFi. But I use plain text dialup so I gave up.
> But when it complained pritner was shut off, I wonder.

Wireless printer make and model number ?

Is the PC home-made (built from parts) or is it an
OEM computer like an HP or Acer or Dell ? What
parts does it use ? Or, what is the make and model
number of the PC.

There are a couple ways to connect:

The first is Wifi Direct (Wifi p2p), where an Access-point communicates with the printer.

data-network-side ---- PC --- wifi-access-point <==> Wifi-printer

or this method requires no additional adjustment with a Network Manager

wifi-router
// \\
data-network-side ---- PC --- wifi-client Wifi-printer

If you don't have a router, it is unlikely the
connection would make without some effort.

*******

But first, we need to know more about your printer, to see
what options it really has. The make and model number of the printer
would be useful information.

Paul

Re: Wireless printer

<l40kn5Fltq2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3868&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3868

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 10:56:36 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 10:56 UTC

On 24/02/2024 23:34, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Ubuntu sees wireless printer. I connect to it.
> Shut off printer and ubuntu complains printer is not there.
> But how do I print to it?
>
> I was told I need WiFi. But I use plain text dialup so I gave up.
> But when it complained pritner was shut off, I wonder.

Wireless printers often have both wifi and Bluetooth connections, if you
have a router, wifi is fairly easy to sort out, and some printers even
have a "wifi direct" setting. Not much help if you don't have infra red
on your computer, but I was pleasantly surprised a while ago when an HP
printer on the other side of the room woke up when I accidentally told
my phone to print a web page.

If you have Bluetooth available at both ends, the makers should have a
Linux driver to let you connect.

If all else fails, very few printers do not have a USB connection.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Wireless printer

<urg4qe$2187c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3872&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3872

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:35:42 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:35 UTC

On 24.02.2024 um 23:34 Uhr vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> Ubuntu sees wireless printer. I connect to it.
> Shut off printer and ubuntu complains printer is not there.
> But how do I print to it?

Did you run the print job?
What does /var/log/cups/*.log say?

--