"You can have my Unix system when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers." -- Cal Keegan

computers / alt.os.linux.ubuntu / where can buy music online besides amazon?

SubjectAuthor
* where can buy music online besides amazon?bilsch01
+* Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?Bobbie Sellers
|`- Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?Gordon
+* Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?Fokke Nauta
|`* Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?Mark Bourne
| +- Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?John Williamson
| `* Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?Paul
|  +* REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNESbilsch01
|  |+- Re: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNESJohn Williamson
|  |`* Re: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNESMark Bourne
|  | `* Re: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNESbilsch01
|  |  +- Re: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNESJohn Williamson
|  |  `- Re: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNESrbowman
|  `- Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?Mark Bourne
+* Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?Joerg Walther
|`* Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?Mark Lloyd
| `- Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?John Williamson
`- Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?Eric

1
where can buy music online besides amazon?

<ur8eme$3ci2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3856&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3856

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: where can buy music online besides amazon?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 13:34:37 -0800
 by: bilsch01 - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:34 UTC

Hello,
I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
Thanks for your help.

Bill S.

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<ur8ifg$478e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3857&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3857

From: bliss-sf4ever@dslextreme.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 14:39:44 -0800
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 22:39 UTC

On 2/22/24 13:34, bilsch01 wrote:
> Hello,
> I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
> I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
> Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bill S.

Do you have an internet browser? I use Firefox myself.
I use DuckDuckGo for a search engine and I suggest you search on
"Music for sale" Barnes and Noble comes up as well as a number
of other sources outside apparently of Amazon. I think that
Apple might have a service as well.

bliss- Dell Precision 7730- PCLOS 2024.02- Linux 6.6.17-Plasma 5.27.10

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<l3q98kFld1bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3858&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3858

From: Gordon@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: 23 Feb 2024 01:04:20 GMT
 by: Gordon - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 01:04 UTC

On 2024-02-22, Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> On 2/22/24 13:34, bilsch01 wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
>> I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
>> Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Bill S.
>
> Do you have an internet browser? I use Firefox myself.
> I use DuckDuckGo for a search engine and I suggest you search on
> "Music for sale" Barnes and Noble comes up as well as a number
> of other sources outside apparently of Amazon. I think that
> Apple might have a service as well.
>

> bliss- Dell Precision 7730- PCLOS 2024.02- Linux 6.6.17-Plasma 5.27.10

If you desire some less commerical tracks/CDs http://bandcamp.com

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<l3r9u4Fqag7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3859&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3859

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 11:21:56 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:21 UTC

On 22/02/2024 22:34, bilsch01 wrote:
> Hello,
> I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
> I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
> Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bill S.

I use Apple iTunes for buying and downloading my music. Works well.

Fokke

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<055hti14ao17cm7ov5r54sb6p2ssco3qta@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3860&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3860

From: joerg.walther@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 13:53:18 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 12:53 UTC

bilsch01 wrote:

>Hello,
>I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.

I would NEVER use any streaming service to "buy" music from because you
will not *own* it and when contracts run out you may lose it although
you paid for it.
Remember the story with Amazon and - of all sorts - Orwell's 1984?
People bought it and downloaded it to their Kindle and then something
happened (can't remember what) and it was deleted from their device.

-jw-

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<yP7CN.436048$Wp_8.101668@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3861&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3861

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: not.email@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:08:46 -0600
 by: Mark Lloyd - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:08 UTC

On 2/23/24 06:53, Joerg Walther wrote:
> bilsch01 wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
>
> I would NEVER use any streaming service to "buy" music from because you
> will not *own* it and when contracts run out you may lose it although
> you paid for it.
> Remember the story with Amazon and - of all sorts - Orwell's 1984?
> People bought it and downloaded it to their Kindle and then something
> happened (can't remember what) and it was deleted from their device.
>
> -jw-

I wouldn't either.

I have bought music from Amazon, and still have the .mp3 files I downloaded.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Of course, we cannot guarantee our Bibles against normal wear or
abuse." [Oxford University Press]

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<l3sifuF2sn8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3862&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3862

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:54:06 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:54 UTC

On 23/02/2024 21:08, Mark Lloyd wrote:

> I have bought music from Amazon, and still have the .mp3 files I
> downloaded.

I used to buy music from Tesco, and the files are still fine, playable
and in my backup system. Unfortunately,they withdrew the service many
years ago. Luckily, I had all my library stored locally to me.

I refused to buy from Apple as initially they only allowed you a certain
number of copies on your systems, and if a playing device crashed, you
irretrievably lost access all those copies. Under their rules, a crashed
hard drive in my music player could have cost me five grand or more.
(The player in my pocket had about five thousand tracks on it at the
time, costing a dollar or so per track. It now has over thirty thousand,
all paid for.) I never saw the benefit to users in their copy control
system.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<urffr6$1sdnr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3869&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3869

From: nntp.mbourne@spamgourmet.com (Mark Bourne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:37:41 +0000
 by: Mark Bourne - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:37 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:
> On 22/02/2024 22:34, bilsch01 wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
>> I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
>> Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Bill S.
>

> I use Apple iTunes for buying and downloading my music. Works well.
>
> Fokke

Last time I used iTunes looked you had to use their software, which is
only available for Windows and Mac. I couldn't find any other way to
buy and download on Linux, e.g. via their website. It's been several
years since I last bought anything from them, so just wondering if the
situation has changed - or do you still need to use iTunes on Windows or
Mac?

--
Mark.

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<l41025Fnif2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3870&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3870

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 14:10:13 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 14:10 UTC

On 25/02/2024 13:37, Mark Bourne wrote:

> Last time I used iTunes looked you had to use their software, which is
> only available for Windows and Mac. I couldn't find any other way to
> buy and download on Linux, e.g. via their website. It's been several
> years since I last bought anything from them, so just wondering if the
> situation has changed - or do you still need to use iTunes on Windows or
> Mac?

iTunes will run under WINE.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<urfi3e$1su22$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3871&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3871

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 09:16:14 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 14:16 UTC

On 2/25/2024 8:37 AM, Mark Bourne wrote:
> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> On 22/02/2024 22:34, bilsch01 wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
>>> I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
>>> Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> Bill S.
>>

>> I use Apple iTunes for buying and downloading my music. Works well.
>>
>> Fokke
>
> Last time I used iTunes looked you had to use their software, which is only available for Windows and Mac.  I couldn't find any other way to buy and download on Linux, e.g. via their website.  It's been several years since I last bought anything from them, so just wondering if the situation has changed - or do you still need to use iTunes on Windows or Mac?

They're never going to stop doing that, at Apple.

NEVER mix paying for something, with "bronze in WINE".
Not worth it. Like say you bought a bunch of music, and
the wheels fell off this and it stopped working. You'd be PISSED.

"iTunes 12.x"

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31322

The whole purpose of having things like that, is to suck you
into their ecosystem. Then what... Even inside their ecosystem,
they will be "updating stuff", your OS will be "too old", your
hardware will be "too old" and so on.

*******

You can burn discs with your purchased music.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/itunes/itns2987/windows

So export is possible.

iTunes used to include something like Primoburner with it,
so it could burn a disc. There are a few embedded windows applications
like that, which are bundled with larger packages so you can burn discs.
Windows itself has imapi2 for this, but it occasionally has issues
with RW media (doesn't erase it).

I would prefer an application just makes an ISO, and then you can
use any working burner for the job of making media (K3B burner).

But really, the idea of having an "intermediary that always gets
in the way", that would be a "NO SALE" in my book. You just know
some day, something is going to happen, and your little collection
will be gone. It's hard enough to protect assets on computers, without
the interference of others.

Paul

REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNES

<us4vb0$38lm5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3885&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3885

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNES
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 09:10:18 -0800
 by: bilsch01 - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:10 UTC

On 2/25/2024 6:16 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 2/25/2024 8:37 AM, Mark Bourne wrote:
>> Fokke Nauta wrote:

>>> I use Apple iTunes for buying and downloading my music. Works well.
>>>
>>> Fokke
>>
>> Last time I used iTunes looked you had to use their software, which is only available for Windows and Mac.  I couldn't find any other way to buy and download on Linux, e.g. via their website.  It's been several years since I last bought anything from them, so just wondering if the situation has changed - or do you still need to use iTunes on Windows or Mac?
>>

> They're never going to stop doing that, at Apple.
>
> NEVER mix paying for something, with "bronze in WINE".
> Not worth it. Like say you bought a bunch of music, and
> the wheels fell off this and it stopped working. You'd be PISSED.
>
> "iTunes 12.x"
>
> https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31322
>
> The whole purpose of having things like that, is to suck you
> into their ecosystem. Then what... Even inside their ecosystem,
> they will be "updating stuff", your OS will be "too old", your
> hardware will be "too old" and so on.
>
> *******
>
> You can burn discs with your purchased music.
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/itunes/itns2987/windows
>
> So export is possible.
>
> iTunes used to include something like Primoburner with it,
> so it could burn a disc. There are a few embedded windows applications
> like that, which are bundled with larger packages so you can burn discs.
> Windows itself has imapi2 for this, but it occasionally has issues
> with RW media (doesn't erase it).
>
> I would prefer an application just makes an ISO, and then you can
> use any working burner for the job of making media (K3B burner).
>
> But really, the idea of having an "intermediary that always gets
> in the way", that would be a "NO SALE" in my book. You just know
> some day, something is going to happen, and your little collection
> will be gone. It's hard enough to protect assets on computers, without
> the interference of others.
>
> Paul

I dual boot Win and Ubuntu. I have about 12 GBytes of mp3 tracks - all
my music is mp3. If I can't put the music into mp3 format then I don't
have it in my collection. I do conversion from non-mp3 format using an
ubuntu program.

My music came from many sources. Much is tracks I ripped from my CDs. In
the past I have bought a few mp3 tracks from Amazon. Amazon Music has a
huge selection of music. But I have had a bad experience with Amazon and
want to go somewhere else. There seems to be no one with a big music
collection like Amazon.

People in this thread mentioned iTunes as a source for music. What
format does iTunes use. Is it a simple matter to buy it and convert it
to mp3? I want to do everything using a PC.
Thanks Again. Bill S.

Re: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNES

<l4mf4iF2854U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3886&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3886

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:36:18 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:36 UTC

On 04/03/2024 17:10, bilsch01 wrote:

> People in this thread mentioned iTunes as a source for music. What
> format does iTunes use. Is it a simple matter to buy it and convert it
> to mp3? I want to do everything using a PC.
> Thanks Again. Bill S.
>

> From Apple's website. How to convert their formats. There may also be a
way to do it using one of the many converter programs available for
Linux. :-

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/108961

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<us5agq$3b2si$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3887&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3887

From: nntp.mbourne@spamgourmet.com (Mark Bourne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:21:44 +0000
 by: Mark Bourne - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:21 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 2/25/2024 8:37 AM, Mark Bourne wrote:
>> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>> I use Apple iTunes for buying and downloading my music. Works well.
>>>
>>> Fokke
>>
>> Last time I used iTunes looked you had to use their software, which is only available for Windows and Mac.  I couldn't find any other way to buy and download on Linux, e.g. via their website.  It's been several years since I last bought anything from them, so just wondering if the situation has changed - or do you still need to use iTunes on Windows or Mac?
>>

> They're never going to stop doing that, at Apple.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of any change - just hopeful when someone on a
Linux group mentioned using iTunes without mentioning Windows or Mac ;)

> NEVER mix paying for something, with "bronze in WINE".
> Not worth it. Like say you bought a bunch of music, and
> the wheels fell off this and it stopped working. You'd be PISSED.

Yeah, I wouldn't like to rely on that. On the rare occasions I do use
iTunes, I dual boot into Windows. A Windows VM would probably also be fine.

> "iTunes 12.x"
>
> https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31322
>
> The whole purpose of having things like that, is to suck you
> into their ecosystem. Then what... Even inside their ecosystem,
> they will be "updating stuff", your OS will be "too old", your
> hardware will be "too old" and so on.
>
> *******
>
> You can burn discs with your purchased music.
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/itunes/itns2987/windows
>
> So export is possible.

Or just copy the file to Linux. None of the ones I've purchased have
ever been subject to DRM, and Rhythmbox, Celluloid and VLC all play them
without any problem. I might have had to install one of the extra
GStreamer plugin packages to support them.

> iTunes used to include something like Primoburner with it,
> so it could burn a disc. There are a few embedded windows applications
> like that, which are bundled with larger packages so you can burn discs.
> Windows itself has imapi2 for this, but it occasionally has issues
> with RW media (doesn't erase it).
>
> I would prefer an application just makes an ISO, and then you can
> use any working burner for the job of making media (K3B burner).
>
> But really, the idea of having an "intermediary that always gets
> in the way", that would be a "NO SALE" in my book. You just know
> some day, something is going to happen, and your little collection
> will be gone. It's hard enough to protect assets on computers, without
> the interference of others.

In my experience (unless something has changed in the last 5 years,
since I last purchased any tracks from iTunes), there's no problem once
you've got the file. You need to use their Windows or Mac software to
download it, but once you've got the file just put it where you want it
and back it up like any other data of value.

--
Mark.

Re: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNES

<us5bda$3b8e5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3888&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3888

From: nntp.mbourne@spamgourmet.com (Mark Bourne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:36:56 +0000
 by: Mark Bourne - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:36 UTC

bilsch01 wrote:
> People in this thread mentioned iTunes as a source for music. What
> format does iTunes use. Is it a simple matter to buy it and convert it
> to mp3? I want to do everything using a PC.

All the tracks I've downloaded from iTunes are .m4a files, which I
believe is an MP4 container, with AAC or ALAC codec. I haven't
purchased any tracks from them for about 5 years, so that might have
changed in the meantime. If no-one else can confirm otherwise, you
could buy one and try it with your setup, before committing to more.

I can play the files I have in Rhythmbox, Celluloid and VLC without any
conversion, although I think I had to install the
`gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad` package to enable that. That name might
sound bad, but I think `gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly` is needed for MP3 files.

From the descriptions of the packages, the bad naming refers to:
> GStreamer Bad Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par compared
> to the rest. They might be close to being good quality, but they're missing
> something - be it a good code review, some documentation, a set of tests, a
> real live maintainer, or some actual wide use.

and ugly:
> This package contains plugins from the "ugly" set, a set of
> good-quality plug-ins that might pose distribution problems.

I think "distribution problems" means the licenses might not be open
source, or there might be patent/trademark issues preventing the plugins
from being freely distributed in some countries.

--
Mark.

Re: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNES

<us7qnb$3tq63$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3893&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3893

From: usenet@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 11:09:57 -0800
 by: bilsch01 - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 19:09 UTC

On 3/4/2024 12:36 PM, Mark Bourne wrote:
> bilsch01 wrote:
>> People in this thread mentioned iTunes as a source for music. What
>> format does iTunes use. Is it a simple matter to buy it and convert it
>> to mp3? I want to do everything using a PC.
>
> All the tracks I've downloaded from iTunes are .m4a files, which I
> believe is an MP4 container, with AAC or ALAC codec.  I haven't
> purchased any tracks from them for about 5 years, so that might have
> changed in the meantime.  If no-one else can confirm otherwise, you
> could buy one and try it with your setup, before committing to more.
>
> I can play the files I have in Rhythmbox, Celluloid and VLC without any
> conversion, although I think I had to install the
> `gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad` package to enable that.  That name might
> sound bad, but I think `gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly` is needed for MP3 files.
>
> From the descriptions of the packages, the bad naming refers to:
>>  GStreamer Bad Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par
>> compared
>>  to the rest. They might be close to being good quality, but they're
>> missing
>>  something - be it a good code review, some documentation, a set of
>> tests, a
>>  real live maintainer, or some actual wide use.
>
> and ugly:
>>  This package contains plugins from the "ugly" set, a set of
>>  good-quality plug-ins that might pose distribution problems.
>
> I think "distribution problems" means the licenses might not be open
> source, or there might be patent/trademark issues preventing the plugins
> from being freely distributed in some countries.

Hello Mark,
I googled about how to buy iTunes song using Win 11 on a PC.
It is straight forward except for the last step, which is:
Sign in with your Apple ID and password to complete purchase.

I've never had an Apple device. Do you suppose
it is possible for me to get Apple ID and password.
I thought I'd ask and avoid a hassle and distasteful experience.
Thanks for your post.

Re: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNES

<l4pa0jFgqqhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3894&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3894

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 19:27:15 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 19:27 UTC

On 05/03/2024 19:09, bilsch01 wrote:

> I've never had an Apple device. Do you suppose
> it is possible for me to get Apple ID and password.
> I thought I'd ask and avoid a hassle and distasteful experience.
> Thanks for your post.

You need a phone number for their 2FA thingy and a web browser.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/108647

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: REVISED QUESTION: BUYING DIGITAL MUSIC also ITUNES

<l4pu98Fjbr1U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3895&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3895

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: 6 Mar 2024 01:13:12 GMT
 by: rbowman - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 01:13 UTC

On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 11:09:57 -0800, bilsch01 wrote:

> I googled about how to buy iTunes song using Win 11 on a PC. It is
> straight forward except for the last step, which is: Sign in with your
> Apple ID and password to complete purchase.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/108647

Years ago I had to put iTunes on a Windows PC to load a iShuffle I'd been
gifted. I hope the experience has improved. iirc I didn't have to create
an Apple ID since I was loading existing mp3s and not buying them, but it
was a hassle getting them transferred to the iTunes directory structure.

Re: where can buy music online besides amazon?

<naudna80iLQHmrX7nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4020&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#4020

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:10:18 -0700
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: eriic1@cox.net (Eric)
 by: Eric - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:10 UTC

On 2/22/24 14:34, bilsch01 wrote:
> Hello,
> I can't find a site except Amazon where I can buy music online.
> I went to YouTube music but I don't find any way to buy music there.
> Google doesn't seem to offer digital music for sale either.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bill S.

I have had good luck with the following.

https://www.eruce.com/

From their about page: