Fundamentally, there may be no basis for anything.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

SubjectAuthor
* Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayWilf
+* Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayBig Al
|`- Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayBig Al
`* Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayBill H
 `* Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayWilf
  +* Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayVanguardLH
  |`* Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayWilf
  | `* Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayVanguardLH
  |  `- Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayWilf
  +* Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayMikeS
  |+- Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayWilf
  |`* Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayRinaldiJ
  | `* Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayMikeS
  |  `- Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayRinaldiJ
  `- Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus awayRinaldiJ

1
Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<utsbqd$1o54o$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3821&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3821

From: wilf21@is.invalid (Wilf)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:21:18 +0000
 by: Wilf - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:21 UTC

In an earlier version of TB, there was a setting to automatically mark a
Usenet folder as read when I moved focus away to a different folder.
This hasn't worked for many months or maybe longer now, probably since
v115. Does anyone have an idea how to do this now?

--
Wilf

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<utsds1$17nbf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3822&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3822

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:56:17 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:56 UTC

On 3/25/24 01:21 PM, Wilf wrote:
> In an earlier version of TB, there was a setting to automatically mark a Usenet folder as read when
> I moved focus away to a different folder. This hasn't worked for many months or maybe longer now,
> probably since v115.  Does anyone have an idea how to do this now?

I'm glad it doesn't, or I'd want a optional check-box. But no, I've never seen it. Maybe an old
add-on.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 6.5.0-26-generic
Al

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<utse0g$17nbf$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3823&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3823

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:58:40 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 17:58 UTC

On 3/25/24 01:56 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 3/25/24 01:21 PM, Wilf wrote:
>> In an earlier version of TB, there was a setting to automatically mark a Usenet folder as read
>> when I moved focus away to a different folder. This hasn't worked for many months or maybe longer
>> now, probably since v115.  Does anyone have an idea how to do this now?
>>
> I'm glad it doesn't, or I'd want a optional check-box.   But no, I've never seen it.  Maybe an old
> add-on.
There is a add-on I use now to just put a button on the toolbar to 'mark all read'.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/mark-all-read-we
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 6.5.0-26-generic
Al

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<utsep4$1818c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3824&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3824

From: billh@domain.is.invalid (Bill H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 11:11:47 -0700
 by: Bill H - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 18:11 UTC

On Monday, March 25, 2024, at 10:21 AM, Wilf wrote:

> In an earlier version of TB, there was a setting to automatically mark a
> Usenet folder as read when I moved focus away to a different folder.
> This hasn't worked for many months or maybe longer now, probably since
> v115. Does anyone have an idea how to do this now?

I don't remember this option as I never used it. You can just right
click on the newsgroup name and select Mark Newsgroup Read. For mail
folders you can right click on the folder and select Mark Folder Read.

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<utsheo$1o54n$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3825&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3825

From: wilf21@is.invalid (Wilf)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 18:57:29 +0000
 by: Wilf - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 18:57 UTC

On 25/03/2024 at 18:11, Bill H wrote:
> On Monday, March 25, 2024, at 10:21 AM, Wilf wrote:
>
>> In an earlier version of TB, there was a setting to automatically mark a
>> Usenet folder as read when I moved focus away to a different folder.
>> This hasn't worked for many months or maybe longer now, probably since
>> v115. Does anyone have an idea how to do this now?
>>

> I don't remember this option as I never used it. You can just right
> click on the newsgroup name and select Mark Newsgroup Read. For mail
> folders you can right click on the folder and select Mark Folder Read.

Thanks. I am aware of these methods including the Mark All button
add-on which I do use. Looking inside the config editor list now, I
think it might have been "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp", but this is
set to true and yet doesn't appear to do anything so I have to assume it
is obsolete.
--
Wilf

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<83812h43gsn8.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3827&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3827

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:50:02 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 20:50 UTC

Wilf <wilf21@is.invalid> wrote:

> Bill H wrote:
>
>> Wilf wrote:
>>
>>> In an earlier version of TB, there was a setting to automatically
>>> mark a Usenet folder as read when I moved focus away to a different
>>> folder. This hasn't worked for many months or maybe longer now,
>>> probably since v115. Does anyone have an idea how to do this now?
>>
>> I don't remember this option as I never used it. You can just right
>> click on the newsgroup name and select Mark Newsgroup Read. For mail
>> folders you can right click on the folder and select Mark Folder Read.
>
> Thanks. I am aware of these methods including the Mark All button
> add-on which I do use. Looking inside the config editor list now, I
> think it might have been "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp", but this is
> set to true and yet doesn't appear to do anything so I have to assume it
> is obsolete.

The setting, by its name, looks to affect a message, not a newsgroup.
Any other similar setting that denotes a newsgroup boundary? I read:

https://ilias.ca/blog/2005/12/marking-foldersnewsgroups-read-on-exit/

which also says the setting you mentioned should mark all messages as
read when losing focus (exiting) on a folder (newsgroup). Did you make
the setting change, exit Thunderbird, and reload it to test?

While the newsgroup still has focus (selected), does Shift+C mark all
messages in it as read? Was Ctrl+Shift+C in v2 of Tbird, and earlier,
but I think it later changed to just Shift+C. If that works, you can
decide on leaving a newsgroup folder (to focus elsewhere) whether all
new messages, including those you have not viewed, get marks as read.
Instead of having to mouse to right-click on a folder to then select
Mark All as Read, you swap to using Shift+C. If Shift+C works on the
currently selected folder, the next text I would do is to select
multiple folders with new items to see if Shift+C marked all of them as
being read.

What happens when someone comments about an article in another
newsgroup, you go there to read it, and then return to the prior
newsgroup? All those "new" messages in the newsgroup would all be
marked as read, so you won't know which ones were new before. If you
just lurk, you probably don't bounce between (and back to) newsgroups.
If you participate, you will likely have to visit another newsgroup when
reading an article in the first newsgroup, but on returning to the first
newsgroup then all the other new articles are marked as read.

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<utssh9$1qqjk$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3828&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3828

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 22:06:34 +0000
 by: MikeS - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 22:06 UTC

On 25/03/2024 18:57, Wilf wrote:
> On 25/03/2024 at 18:11, Bill H wrote:
>> On Monday, March 25, 2024, at 10:21 AM, Wilf wrote:
>>
>>> In an earlier version of TB, there was a setting to automatically mark a
>>> Usenet folder as read when I moved focus away to a different folder.
>>> This hasn't worked for many months or maybe longer now, probably since
>>> v115.  Does anyone have an idea how to do this now?
>>>

>> I don't remember this option as I never used it.  You can just right
>> click on the newsgroup name and select Mark Newsgroup Read.  For mail
>> folders you can right click on the folder and select Mark Folder Read.
>
> Thanks.  I am aware of these methods including the Mark All button
> add-on which I do use.    Looking inside the config editor list now, I
> think it might have been "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp", but this is
> set to true and yet doesn't appear to do anything so I have to assume it
> is obsolete.

I just tested the "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp" setting and it works
- instantly. 115.8.0

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<utu4dn$1o54o$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3831&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3831

From: wilf21@is.invalid (Wilf)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:27:20 +0000
 by: Wilf - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:27 UTC

On 25/03/2024 at 20:50, VanguardLH wrote:
> Wilf <wilf21@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Bill H wrote:

>>> I don't remember this option as I never used it. You can just right
>>> click on the newsgroup name and select Mark Newsgroup Read. For mail
>>> folders you can right click on the folder and select Mark Folder Read.
>>
>> Thanks. I am aware of these methods including the Mark All button
>> add-on which I do use. Looking inside the config editor list now, I
>> think it might have been "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp", but this is
>> set to true and yet doesn't appear to do anything so I have to assume it
>> is obsolete.
>
> The setting, by its name, looks to affect a message, not a newsgroup.
> Any other similar setting that denotes a newsgroup boundary? I read:
>
> https://ilias.ca/blog/2005/12/marking-foldersnewsgroups-read-on-exit/
>
> which also says the setting you mentioned should mark all messages as
> read when losing focus (exiting) on a folder (newsgroup). Did you make
> the setting change, exit Thunderbird, and reload it to test?
>
> While the newsgroup still has focus (selected), does Shift+C mark all
> messages in it as read? Was Ctrl+Shift+C in v2 of Tbird, and earlier,
> but I think it later changed to just Shift+C. If that works, you can
> decide on leaving a newsgroup folder (to focus elsewhere) whether all
> new messages, including those you have not viewed, get marks as read.
> Instead of having to mouse to right-click on a folder to then select
> Mark All as Read, you swap to using Shift+C. If Shift+C works on the
> currently selected folder, the next text I would do is to select
> multiple folders with new items to see if Shift+C marked all of them as
> being read.
>
> What happens when someone comments about an article in another
> newsgroup, you go there to read it, and then return to the prior
> newsgroup? All those "new" messages in the newsgroup would all be
> marked as read, so you won't know which ones were new before. If you
> just lurk, you probably don't bounce between (and back to) newsgroups.
> If you participate, you will likely have to visit another newsgroup when
> reading an article in the first newsgroup, but on returning to the first
> newsgroup then all the other new articles are marked as read.

Shift C has always worked. Changing that setting has no effect. Thank
you for your suggestions.
--
Wilf

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<utu4eu$1o54o$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3832&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3832

From: wilf21@is.invalid (Wilf)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:27:59 +0000

On 25/03/2024 at 22:06, MikeS wrote:
> On 25/03/2024 18:57, Wilf wrote:

>>> I don't remember this option as I never used it.  You can just right
>>> click on the newsgroup name and select Mark Newsgroup Read.  For mail
>>> folders you can right click on the folder and select Mark Folder Read.
>>
>> Thanks.  I am aware of these methods including the Mark All button
>> add-on which I do use.    Looking inside the config editor list now, I
>> think it might have been "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp", but this is
>> set to true and yet doesn't appear to do anything so I have to assume it
>> is obsolete.
>
> I just tested the "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp" setting and it works
> - instantly. 115.8.0

Ah, thank you. No idea why it's not working here in that case.
--
Wilf

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<2740ea3b-2dff-4fb4-8820-763656b27413@invalid.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3834&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3834

From: rinaldij@nunya.com (RinaldiJ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 07:53:34 -0500
 by: RinaldiJ - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:53 UTC

On 3/25/24 13:57, Wilf wrote:
> On 25/03/2024 at 18:11, Bill H wrote:
>> On Monday, March 25, 2024, at 10:21 AM, Wilf wrote:
>>
>>> In an earlier version of TB, there was a setting to automatically mark a
>>> Usenet folder as read when I moved focus away to a different folder.
>>> This hasn't worked for many months or maybe longer now, probably since
>>> v115.  Does anyone have an idea how to do this now?
>>>

>> I don't remember this option as I never used it.  You can just right
>> click on the newsgroup name and select Mark Newsgroup Read.  For mail
>> folders you can right click on the folder and select Mark Folder Read.
>
> Thanks.  I am aware of these methods including the Mark All button
> add-on which I do use.    Looking inside the config editor list now, I
> think it might have been "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp", but this is
> set to true and yet doesn't appear to do anything so I have to assume it
> is obsolete.

Perhaps you and I are the only people who used this feature, and, yes,
that is the correct stanza for prefs.js. It appears current TB ignores
it as it is still present.

Rinaldi

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<d3db7a85-0aef-4511-a528-982d092445b4@invalid.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3835&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3835

From: rinaldij@nunya.com (RinaldiJ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 07:59:21 -0500
 by: RinaldiJ - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:59 UTC

On 3/25/24 17:06, MikeS wrote:
> On 25/03/2024 18:57, Wilf wrote:

>>> I don't remember this option as I never used it.  You can just right
>>> click on the newsgroup name and select Mark Newsgroup Read.  For mail
>>> folders you can right click on the folder and select Mark Folder Read.
>>
>> Thanks.  I am aware of these methods including the Mark All button
>> add-on which I do use.    Looking inside the config editor list now, I
>> think it might have been "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp", but this
>> is set to true and yet doesn't appear to do anything so I have to
>> assume it is obsolete.
>
> I just tested the "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp" setting and it works
> - instantly. 115.8.0

Looking to see if there is a conflict. Would you kindly post the
results of this filter:

mailnews.mark_message_read

mailnews.mark_message_read.auto true
mailnews.mark_message_read.delay false
mailnews.mark_message_read.delay.interval 5
mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp true
mailnews.mark_message_read.rss true

because that pref is not working here.

Thanks!

Rinaldi

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<utvh2u$2ckvu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3848&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3848

From: MikeS@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:09:34 +0000
 by: MikeS - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:09 UTC

On 26/03/2024 12:59, RinaldiJ wrote:
> On 3/25/24 17:06, MikeS wrote:

>>> Thanks.  I am aware of these methods including the Mark All button
>>> add-on which I do use.    Looking inside the config editor list now,
>>> I think it might have been "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp", but
>>> this is set to true and yet doesn't appear to do anything so I have
>>> to assume it is obsolete.
>>
>> I just tested the "mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp" setting and it
>> works - instantly. 115.8.0
>>

> Looking to see if there is a conflict.  Would you kindly post the
> results of this filter:
>
> mailnews.mark_message_read
>
> mailnews.mark_message_read.auto    true
> mailnews.mark_message_read.delay    false
> mailnews.mark_message_read.delay.interval    5
> mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp    true
> mailnews.mark_message_read.rss    true
>
> because that pref is not working here.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rinaldi

I should have mentioned that I am using Betterbird but assumed it is the
same as TB.
Until reading this thread I had never looked at
mailnews.mark_message_read so these are the default settings:
mailnews.mark_message_read.auto true
mailnews.mark_message_read.delay true
mailnews.mark_message_read.delay.interval 2
mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp false
..rss is not present, possibly because I have not subscribed to any feeds.

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<d5up5a5cg9ln$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3849&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3849

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:13:42 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:13 UTC

Wilf <wilf21@is.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> https://ilias.ca/blog/2005/12/marking-foldersnewsgroups-read-on-exit/
>>
>> which also says the setting you mentioned should mark all messages as
>> read when losing focus (exiting) on a folder (newsgroup). Did you make
>> the setting change, exit Thunderbird, and reload it to test?
>>
>> While the newsgroup still has focus (selected), does Shift+C mark all
>> messages in it as read?
>
> Shift C has always worked. Changing that setting has no effect. Thank
> you for your suggestions.

Is mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp a _Boolean_ value? When creating the
setting, be sure to use New -> Boolean.

Any add-ons installed that you could disable during testing?

Using customized user.js or prefs.js files to alter Tbird's behavior?

Yet created a new profile in Tbird, and test using that? It would
eliminate any interference from add-ons (none will be in the new
profile), from tweaks in the advanced editor, or with customized config
files. You could test the mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp setting in a
clean profile.

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<a59d7294-7d20-446e-823b-8e14312ee77c@invalid.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3856&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3856

From: rinaldij@nunya.com (RinaldiJ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:33:19 -0500
 by: RinaldiJ - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 00:33 UTC

On 3/26/24 17:09, MikeS wrote:
*****************
>> Looking to see if there is a conflict.  Would you kindly post the
>> results of this filter:
>>
>> mailnews.mark_message_read
>>
>> mailnews.mark_message_read.auto    true
>> mailnews.mark_message_read.delay    false
>> mailnews.mark_message_read.delay.interval    5
>> mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp    true
>> mailnews.mark_message_read.rss    true
>>
>> because that pref is not working here.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Rinaldi
>
> I should have mentioned that I am using Betterbird but assumed it is the
> same as TB.
> Until reading this thread  I had never looked at
> mailnews.mark_message_read so these are the default settings:
> mailnews.mark_message_read.auto      true
> mailnews.mark_message_read.delay  true
> mailnews.mark_message_read.delay.interval  2
> mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp   false
> .rss is not present, possibly because I have not subscribed to any feeds.

Thanks for that. Yes, I have tried Betterbird and the pref did work,
but the crashes were too annoying.

Rinaldi

Re: Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away

<uu144l$1r8il$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3862&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3862

From: wilf21@is.invalid (Wilf)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:40:54 +0000
 by: Wilf - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:40 UTC

On 26/03/2024 at 22:13, VanguardLH wrote:
> Wilf <wilf21@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> https://ilias.ca/blog/2005/12/marking-foldersnewsgroups-read-on-exit/
>>>
>>> which also says the setting you mentioned should mark all messages as
>>> read when losing focus (exiting) on a folder (newsgroup). Did you make
>>> the setting change, exit Thunderbird, and reload it to test?
>>>
>>> While the newsgroup still has focus (selected), does Shift+C mark all
>>> messages in it as read?
>>
>> Shift C has always worked. Changing that setting has no effect. Thank
>> you for your suggestions.
>
> Is mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp a _Boolean_ value? When creating the
> setting, be sure to use New -> Boolean.
>
> Any add-ons installed that you could disable during testing?
>
> Using customized user.js or prefs.js files to alter Tbird's behavior?
>
> Yet created a new profile in Tbird, and test using that? It would
> eliminate any interference from add-ons (none will be in the new
> profile), from tweaks in the advanced editor, or with customized config
> files. You could test the mailnews.mark_message_read.nntp setting in a
> clean profile.

I've tried disabling all my add-ons, thanks. no customised .js files.
Haven't tried a new profile - thanks for this idea.

--
Wilf

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Mark NNTP folder read when move focus away