backups: always in season, never out of style.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Thunderbird not loading newsgroup

SubjectAuthor
* Thunderbird not loading newsgroupBig Al
+* Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroupknuttle
|`- Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroupBig Al
+- Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroupVanguardLH
+- Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroupAndy Burns
+* Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroupoccam
|`* Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroupBig Al
| `- Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroupoccam
`- Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroupCarlos E.R.

1
Thunderbird not loading newsgroup

<utq6l3$jpdj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3805&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3805

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Thunderbird not loading newsgroup
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 17:40:51 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 21:40 UTC

Now and then, Thunderbird will show on the left hand folder pane that there are messages unread in
group A and/or B. If I click on the unread message TB will only show a black window in the preview
pane, and the status bar says loading message. It doesn't change.

This is maybe once a day or every other day. Kinda spotty. The fix is just close TB an restart it.

Has anyone else seen this? 115.8.1
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 6.5.0-26-generic
Al

Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroup

<utq8bl$k713$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3807&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3807

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroup
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 18:09:56 -0400
 by: knuttle - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 22:09 UTC

On 03/24/2024 5:40 PM, Big Al wrote:
> Now and then, Thunderbird will show on the left hand folder pane that
> there are messages unread in group A and/or B.   If I click on the
> unread message TB will only show a black window in the preview pane, and
> the status bar says loading message.   It doesn't change.
>
> This is maybe once a day or every other day.  Kinda spotty.  The fix is
> just close TB an restart it.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  115.8.1
Check to see if there is a quick filter set. I had a similar problem,
and found the quick filter was the cause.

Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroup

<utqabs$kfu9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3808&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3808

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 18:44:12 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 22:44 UTC

On 3/24/24 06:09 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 03/24/2024 5:40 PM, Big Al wrote:
>> Now and then, Thunderbird will show on the left hand folder pane that there are messages unread in
>> group A and/or B.   If I click on the unread message TB will only show a black window in the
>> preview pane, and the status bar says loading message.   It doesn't change.
>>
>> This is maybe once a day or every other day.  Kinda spotty.  The fix is just close TB an restart it.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?  115.8.1
> Check to see if there is a quick filter set.   I had a similar problem, and found the quick filter
> was the cause.
How would a quick filter stop TB from loading the message? I gets the header enough to show it in
the list and add +1 to the unread count. I don't have any set, don't use them.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 6.5.0-26-generic
Al

Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroup

<5tjjsmek5jtr.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3814&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3814

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 00:12:38 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 05:12 UTC

Big Al <alan@invalid.com> wrote:

> Now and then, Thunderbird will show on the left hand folder pane that there are messages unread in
> group A and/or B. If I click on the unread message TB will only show a black window in the preview
> pane, and the status bar says loading message. It doesn't change.
>
> This is maybe once a day or every other day. Kinda spotty. The fix is just close TB an restart it.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? 115.8.1

Same happen if you disable all add-ons in Tbird, exit, and reload it?
Also try renaming/moving user.js or prefs.js if you use those to modify
Tbird's behaviors. Or just create a new profile, and test with that.

Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroup

<l6cksrFch4qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3815&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3815

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 06:45:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 06:45 UTC

Big Al wrote:

> The fix is just close TB an restart it.

Does clicking the offline/online icon in the bottom left, force a
re-connection fix it? Slightly less disruptive, I have to do that one
one particular news server.

Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroup

<l6cpeqFd6cmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3816&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3816

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:03:38 +0100
 by: occam - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 08:03 UTC

On 24/03/2024 22:40, Big Al wrote:
> Now and then, Thunderbird will show on the left hand folder pane that
> there are messages unread in group A and/or B.   If I click on the
> unread message TB will only show a black window in the preview pane, and
> the status bar says loading message.   It doesn't change.
>
> This is maybe once a day or every other day.  Kinda spotty.  The fix is
> just close TB an restart it.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  115.8.1

Yes, it happens here to. I assumed it had to do with my Usenet provider
(News.Individual.NET) rather than TB. As the 'fix' is an annoyance
(rather than a critical error), I simply reload ('Get Messages') again
and the problem goes away.

Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroup

<i428dkxedt.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3817&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3817

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 12:01:06 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 11:01 UTC

On 2024-03-24 22:40, Big Al wrote:
> Now and then, Thunderbird will show on the left hand folder pane that
> there are messages unread in group A and/or B.   If I click on the
> unread message TB will only show a black window in the preview pane, and
> the status bar says loading message.   It doesn't change.
>
> This is maybe once a day or every other day.  Kinda spotty.  The fix is
> just close TB an restart it.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  115.8.1

I don't know if it is the exact same thing, but sometimes when clicking
on a news group it shows a blank window, if I click at the same time TB
is compacting an email mailbox. The status line says something about a
concurrent operation (I don't remember the exact wording).

I just click on a different group and back, and it works instantly.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroup

<utrq6k$12vd8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3819&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3819

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 08:20:35 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 12:20 UTC

On 3/25/24 04:03 AM, occam wrote:
> On 24/03/2024 22:40, Big Al wrote:
>> Now and then, Thunderbird will show on the left hand folder pane that
>> there are messages unread in group A and/or B.   If I click on the
>> unread message TB will only show a black window in the preview pane, and
>> the status bar says loading message.   It doesn't change.
>>
>> This is maybe once a day or every other day.  Kinda spotty.  The fix is
>> just close TB an restart it.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?  115.8.1
>
> Yes, it happens here to. I assumed it had to do with my Usenet provider
> (News.Individual.NET) rather than TB. As the 'fix' is an annoyance
> (rather than a critical error), I simply reload ('Get Messages') again
> and the problem goes away.
Never looked to see if mail did the same. But I don't get many mail. I do get one about 5pm, I'll
try to focus on news for the evening and see if email goes dead on me.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 6.5.0-26-generic
Al

Re: Thunderbird not loading newsgroup

<l6deanFg9ntU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3820&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3820

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 14:59:51 +0100
 by: occam - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:59 UTC

On 25/03/2024 13:20, Big Al wrote:
> On 3/25/24 04:03 AM, occam wrote:
>> On 24/03/2024 22:40, Big Al wrote:
>>> Now and then, Thunderbird will show on the left hand folder pane that
>>> there are messages unread in group A and/or B.   If I click on the
>>> unread message TB will only show a black window in the preview pane, and
>>> the status bar says loading message.   It doesn't change.
>>>
>>> This is maybe once a day or every other day.  Kinda spotty.  The fix is
>>> just close TB an restart it.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else seen this?  115.8.1
>>
>> Yes, it happens here to.  I assumed it had to do with my Usenet provider
>> (News.Individual.NET) rather than TB.  As the 'fix' is an annoyance
>> (rather than a critical error), I simply reload ('Get Messages') again
>> and the problem goes away.

> Never looked to see if mail did the same.  But I don't get many mail.  I
> do get one about 5pm, I'll try to focus on news for the evening and see
> if email goes dead on me.

No, never happens with email. I get several every day. No problems there.

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Thunderbird not loading newsgroup