From: wu.ming2@icloud.com (Wu Ming)
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Subject: Script to pdf
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:56:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:x2c7PtVdJA6B0+qnwmZGRVjJd0o=
 by: Wu Ming - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:56 UTC

New to Emacs. This may be my introduction to it.

In non-interactive mode, via bash script, I would like to perform text
replacement in a Open Document text file and then save it as PDF. As
alternative save ODT as HTML first and then perform the other steps.

Is it possible?

I have a bash script completing the process with HTML as input. But how
LibreOffice handles the conversion from ODT is tricky. Sometimes adds
unnecessary tags. Also saving HTML to PDF requires some tuning because, as
far as I know, the format is not meant for paper publishing. Emacs may have
better options.

Thanks for sharing.

Re: Script to pdf

<urtume$1hffm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=41&group=gnu.emacs.help#41

From: wu.ming2@icloud.com (Wu Ming)
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Subject: Re: Script to pdf
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:17:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vCGhl85xJxakbACIx62UXE7thRc=
 by: Wu Ming - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 01:17 UTC

Sebastian Aviña (HechoEnMexico) <sebastianavina@gmail.com> wrote:
> You could bind C-x C-s to some pandoc script and store the file in any format you like.
>
> there is already an org-mode => pdf conversion available
>
> https://pandoc.org/

Thank you. I eventually solved with soffice. Good for the next occasion.

Re: Script to pdf

<87il24jg4m.fsf@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=42&group=gnu.emacs.help#42

From: jshem@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 21:47:21 -0300
sha1:98DfS0rFB0e317jp+RV+8+QAmgA=
 by: Julieta Shem - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 00:47 UTC

Wu Ming <wu.ming2@icloud.com > writes:

> Sebastian Aviña (HechoEnMexico) <sebastianavina@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You could bind C-x C-s to some pandoc script and store the file in any format you like.
>>
>> there is already an org-mode => pdf conversion available
>>
>> https://pandoc.org/
>>

> Thank you. I eventually solved with soffice. Good for the next occasion.

Hey, good to see some activity here. It seems there's us here? This
group used to be mirrored to the mailing list, right? I think it's not
anymore, so it's totally dead. Why would people prefer a mailing list
over NNTP? Because of SPAM? I think the USENET is pretty much free of
SPAM now that Google Groups left.

Re: Script to pdf

<us3huj$2vahk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=43&group=gnu.emacs.help#43

From: wu.ming2@icloud.com (Wu Ming)
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 04:16:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:EaKyGBcrGwGtxLTxZqFKyERh9WM=
 by: Wu Ming - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 04:16 UTC

Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> wrote:
> Wu Ming <wu.ming2@icloud.com > writes:
>
>> Sebastian Aviña (HechoEnMexico) <sebastianavina@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You could bind C-x C-s to some pandoc script and store the file in any format you like.
>>>
>>> there is already an org-mode => pdf conversion available
>>>
>>> https://pandoc.org/
>>>

>> Thank you. I eventually solved with soffice. Good for the next occasion.
>
> Hey, good to see some activity here. It seems there's us here? This
> group used to be mirrored to the mailing list, right? I think it's not
> anymore, so it's totally dead. Why would people prefer a mailing list
> over NNTP? Because of SPAM? I think the USENET is pretty much free of
> SPAM now that Google Groups left.

Emacs webpage still declares about the mirroring. But mailing list web
archive says differently.

My short experience with USENET tells spam is not the issue. Lack of
moderation is. For me at least. Don’t know if this channel is different
though.

Re: Script to pdf

<87il21ud4y.fsf@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46&group=gnu.emacs.help#46

From: jshem@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 14:21:01 -0300
sha1:oZHOHecmIkHvRW3RmG9gmt7QC4w=
 by: Julieta Shem - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:21 UTC

Wu Ming <wu.ming2@icloud.com > writes:

> Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> wrote:
>> Wu Ming <wu.ming2@icloud.com > writes:

>>> Thank you. I eventually solved with soffice. Good for the next occasion.
>>
>> Hey, good to see some activity here. It seems there's us here? This
>> group used to be mirrored to the mailing list, right? I think it's not
>> anymore, so it's totally dead. Why would people prefer a mailing list
>> over NNTP? Because of SPAM? I think the USENET is pretty much free of
>> SPAM now that Google Groups left.
>>

> Emacs webpage still declares about the mirroring. But mailing list web
> archive says differently.
>
> My short experience with USENET tells spam is not the issue. Lack of
> moderation is. For me at least. Don’t know if this channel is different
> though.

Are you a member of the mailing list? Can you share this fact with
them? Thank you!

computers / gnu.emacs.help / Script to pdf