From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: X11-app after su - ... Next issue, caused by snap
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 18:50:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 18:50 UTC

Hi all,

some days ago I wrote here about su- / xauth solution:

> I have suspected pam authentication already, and in the meantime I
> compared Mageia and Raspbian more deeply regarding the entries in /etc/
> pam.d.
>
> I found out, that adding this line
>
> session optional pam_xauth.so
>
> to the front of /etc/pam.d/su
>
> solves this issue. I've also tested this on Ubuntu successfully.

Fine.

I can 'su - newuser' to invoke every other GUI based application like
xclock or even firefox running under a different UID.

Except chromium browser. There I get the following:

[14 dimke@ubuntu-bc-esp1 ~]$ su - test1
Password:

[7 test1@ubuntu-bc-esp1 ~]$ chromium-browser
/user.slice/user-1000.slice/session-3.scope is not a snap cgroup

So, this is obviously caused by some kind of "snap" mechanism, which
chromium is build up on.

And, yes, I know that a compromised desktop will not prevent a 'su -
newuser'-ed session within the same desktop from being monitored or
hacked.

But, I try to keep my different accounts apart from each other to avoid
interference and other side effects like overwriting.

Should one try to get a non-snap-version, or
can this issue be solved somehow?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Markus

SOLVED, Re: X11-app after su - ... Next issue, caused by snap

<uo40g8$11rsp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3802&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3802

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: SOLVED, Re: X11-app after su - ... Next issue, caused by snap
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:19:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:19 UTC

It seems that what I've described is a common problem coming along with
every "snap"-ed application. No real solution in sight, at least no
approach regarding the root cause.

But there is a workaround: Besides snapd-related "chromium browser" there
is also a non-snap version "chromium" (not to confuse with "chrome" which
is closed source, coming from google).

I removed the first one and installed the non-snap one.
Now, everything works as needed.

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: SOLVED, Re: X11-app after su - ... Next issue, caused by snap

<uo4quo$1539e$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3803&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3803

From: no.spam.here@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:51:03 -0800
 by: red floyd - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 02:51 UTC

On 1/15/2024 11:19 AM, Markus Robert Kessler wrote:
> It seems that what I've described is a common problem coming along with
> every "snap"-ed application. No real solution in sight, at least no
> approach regarding the root cause.
>
> But there is a workaround: Besides snapd-related "chromium browser" there
> is also a non-snap version "chromium" (not to confuse with "chrome" which
> is closed source, coming from google).
>
> I removed the first one and installed the non-snap one.
> Now, everything works as needed.
>
> Markus

Chromium is the base open-source browser. Chrome is Google's
proprietary version.