"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..." -- Hunter S. Thompson

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / RSS feed duplicates

SubjectAuthor
* RSS feed duplicatesBob Henson
+* Re: RSS feed duplicatesDave Royal
|+- Re: RSS feed duplicatesBob Henson
|`* Re: RSS feed duplicatesDave Royal
| `* Re: RSS feed duplicatesBob Henson
|  +- Re: RSS feed duplicatesAndy Burns
|  `- Re: RSS feed duplicatesDave Royal
`* Re: RSS feed duplicatesAndy Burns
 `* Re: RSS feed duplicatesBob Henson
  `* Re: RSS feed duplicatesAndy Burns
   `- Re: RSS feed duplicatesAndy Burns

1
RSS feed duplicates

<uthfne$23kf4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3759&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3759

From: bob.henson@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: RSS feed duplicates
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:20:37 +0000
 by: Bob Henson - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:20 UTC

I get a lot of duplicate items downloaded from BBC RSS feeds using
Thunderbird. They are shown as unread, and have identical titles and
identical time settings. A quick look at one or two with CTRL-u didn't
show any obvious differences either. Any idea if the problem lies with
the BBC or Thunderbird? Even if it's the BBC, surely Thunderbird should
be set to reject copies - does it have any form of duplicate rejection
built in? If not, can anyone suggest a way top stop it - I can't find an
extension that will find dupes on the fly as they are downloaded.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK

Re: RSS feed duplicates

<uthu61$2c4h8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3762&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3762

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: RSS feed duplicates
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 18:27:11 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 18:27 UTC

Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> Wrote in message:

> I get a lot of duplicate items downloaded from BBC RSS feeds using
> Thunderbird. They are shown as unread, and have identical titles and
> identical time settings. A quick look at one or two with CTRL-u didn't
> show any obvious differences either. Any idea if the problem lies with
> the BBC or Thunderbird? Even if it's the BBC, surely Thunderbird should
> be set to reject copies - does it have any form of duplicate rejection
> built in? If not, can anyone suggest a way top stop it - I can't find an
> extension that will find dupes on the fly as they are downloaded.

I don't use TB for RSS feeds but I find some publishers do this.
When I've investigated it's often because an article has been
updated, and there is a difference in the metadata - PubDate for
example.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: RSS feed duplicates

<uthv7i$2bd0d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3763&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3763

From: bob.henson@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 18:45:14 +0000
 by: Bob Henson - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 18:45 UTC

On 21.3.24 6:27 pm, Dave Royal wrote:
> Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> Wrote in message:
>
>> I get a lot of duplicate items downloaded from BBC RSS feeds using
>> Thunderbird. They are shown as unread, and have identical titles and
>> identical time settings. A quick look at one or two with CTRL-u didn't
>> show any obvious differences either. Any idea if the problem lies with
>> the BBC or Thunderbird? Even if it's the BBC, surely Thunderbird should
>> be set to reject copies - does it have any form of duplicate rejection
>> built in? If not, can anyone suggest a way top stop it - I can't find an
>> extension that will find dupes on the fly as they are downloaded.
>
> I don't use TB for RSS feeds but I find some publishers do this.
> When I've investigated it's often because an article has been
> updated, and there is a difference in the metadata - PubDate for
> example.

I'm not surprised. I imagine there's little I can do about that, but the
reader I used to use didn't seem to let so many though. Perhaps I could
use a filter after mail arrives to look for dupes - I'll have a look
around.

Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK

Re: RSS feed duplicates

<l658r4F8j3kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3778&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3778

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 11:37:13 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 11:37 UTC

Bob Henson wrote:

> I get a lot of duplicate items downloaded from BBC RSS feeds using
> Thunderbird.

The only RSS feed I have is from legislation.gov.uk, I don't see any
duplicates there, what BBC URL are you using?

Re: RSS feed duplicates

<utjuum$2rm05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3779&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3779

From: bob.henson@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:52:46 +0000
 by: Bob Henson - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:52 UTC

On 22.3.24 11:37 am, Andy Burns wrote:
> Bob Henson wrote:
>
>> I get a lot of duplicate items downloaded from BBC RSS feeds using
>> Thunderbird.
>
> The only RSS feed I have is from legislation.gov.uk, I don't see any
> duplicates there, what BBC URL are you using?

https://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/uk/rss.xml

and various others changing the "uk" in the above to "world", etc. etc.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK

Re: RSS feed duplicates

<l65ge1F8ngiU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3780&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3780

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:46:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:46 UTC

Bob Henson wrote:

> https://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/uk/rss.xml
> and various others changing the "uk" in the above to "world", etc. etc.

No duplicates after first reading of the feed, I wonder if it's related
to them altering articles, I used to use Revisionista/NewsSniffer which
tracks changes to various news source articles.

Re: RSS feed duplicates

<l6607iFc086U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3785&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3785

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 18:16:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 18:16 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> No duplicates after first reading of the feed, I wonder if it's related
> to them altering articles

I do now see two versions of the Hester/Abbot story, one with message id
containing

uk-politics-68636193#0

the other with id

uk-politics-68636193#1

Re: RSS feed duplicates

<utuqfv$1t6j0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3836&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3836

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:43:58 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:43 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> Wrote in message:

> Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> Wrote in message:
>
>> I get a lot of duplicate items downloaded from BBC RSS feeds using
>> Thunderbird. They are shown as unread, and have identical titles and
>> identical time settings. A quick look at one or two with CTRL-u didn't
>> show any obvious differences either. Any idea if the problem lies with
>> the BBC or Thunderbird? Even if it's the BBC, surely Thunderbird should
>> be set to reject copies - does it have any form of duplicate rejection
>> built in? If not, can anyone suggest a way top stop it - I can't find an
>> extension that will find dupes on the fly as they are downloaded.
>
> I don't use TB for RSS feeds but I find some publishers do this.
> When I've investigated it's often because an article has been
> updated, and there is a difference in the metadata - PubDate for
> example.

I just had a duplicate - it's a feed of posts to a mailing
list/forum (groups.io). The second one had been edited - a
quotation mark added. If I follow the links to the posts on the
forum the first one no longer exists:

<https://groups.io/g/abcusers/message/21301>
<https://groups.io/g/abcusers/message/21302>

I assume that's the way edits processed. Members may be able to
see the edit history.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: RSS feed duplicates

<utv3nl$29asi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3840&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3840

From: bob.henson@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:21:42 +0000
 by: Bob Henson - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:21 UTC

On 26.3.24 3:43 pm, Dave Royal wrote:
> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> Wrote in message:
>
>> Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> Wrote in message:
>>
>>> I get a lot of duplicate items downloaded from BBC RSS feeds using
>>> Thunderbird. They are shown as unread, and have identical titles and
>>> identical time settings. A quick look at one or two with CTRL-u didn't
>>> show any obvious differences either. Any idea if the problem lies with
>>> the BBC or Thunderbird? Even if it's the BBC, surely Thunderbird should
>>> be set to reject copies - does it have any form of duplicate rejection
>>> built in? If not, can anyone suggest a way top stop it - I can't find an
>>> extension that will find dupes on the fly as they are downloaded.
>>
>> I don't use TB for RSS feeds but I find some publishers do this.
>> When I've investigated it's often because an article has been
>> updated, and there is a difference in the metadata - PubDate for
>> example.
>
> I just had a duplicate - it's a feed of posts to a mailing
> list/forum (groups.io). The second one had been edited - a
> quotation mark added. If I follow the links to the posts on the
> forum the first one no longer exists:
>
> <https://groups.io/g/abcusers/message/21301>
> <https://groups.io/g/abcusers/message/21302>
>
> I assume that's the way edits processed. Members may be able to
> see the edit history.

Noting I can do about that then. Pity, it's a pain sorting through a lot
of them, particularly as the BBC Sport feed has many times more than the
others.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK

Re: RSS feed duplicates

<l6gk1nF1g31U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3841&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3841

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:55:47 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:55 UTC

Bob Henson wrote:

> it's a pain sorting through a lot of them, particularly as the BBC Sport
> feed has many times more than the others.

I presume you saw my previous comment about the duplicates incorporating
#0 then #1, #2 etc into their message IDs?

Does the BBC update the sports story each time e.g. a goal is scored?
That would make for an annoying number of updates on the feed, I expect
I'll drop the News feed soon, it's more verbose than I need ...

Re: RSS feed duplicates

<utva3l$2b0it$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3842&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3842

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:10:27 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:10 UTC

Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> Wrote in message:

> On 26.3.24 3:43 pm, Dave Royal wrote:
>> Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> Wrote in message:

>>> I don't use TB for RSS feeds but I find some publishers do this.
>>> When I've investigated it's often because an article has been
>>> updated, and there is a difference in the metadata - PubDate for
>>> example.
>>
>> I just had a duplicate - it's a feed of posts to a mailing
>> list/forum (groups.io). The second one had been edited - a
>> quotation mark added. If I follow the links to the posts on the
>> forum the first one no longer exists:
>>
>> <https://groups.io/g/abcusers/message/21301>
>> <https://groups.io/g/abcusers/message/21302>
>>
>> I assume that's the way edits processed. Members may be able to
>> see the edit history.
>
> Noting I can do about that then. Pity, it's a pain sorting through a lot
> of them, particularly as the BBC Sport feed has many times more than the
> others.

Also I noticed this afternoon that an article in I'd seen in this feed
<https://www.theatlantic.com/feed/all/>
about the Baltimore bridge had gone back to 'unread'.

The rss xml includes:
....<title type="html">Baltimore Lost More Than a Bridge</title><pu
blished>2024-03-26T13:01:52-04:00</published><updated>2024-03-26T1
4:49:39-04:00</updated>...

(I can read Atlantic articles in the feed that are behind the paywall.)