13. ... r-q1

computers / alt.comp.software.seamonkey / Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

SubjectAuthor
* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteXander
`* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix sitegerry 666uk
 `* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteNuno Silva
  +- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteXander
  `* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteNFN Smith
   `* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix sitemeagain
    +* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteBill Spikowski
    |`* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix sitemeagain
    | +* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteRay_Net
    | |+- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteRay_Net
    | |+* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteXander
    | ||`- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix sitemeagain
    | |`* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix sitegerry 666uk
    | | `* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteRay_Net
    | |  `* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteXander
    | |   `* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteRay_Net
    | |    +- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteXander
    | |    `* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteDon Spam's Reckless Son
    | |     +- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteBarryedwin1
    | |     +- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteNFN Smith
    | |     `- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteRay_Net
    | +- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteDaniel65
    | `- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteNFN Smith
    +* Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix sitegerry 666uk
    |+- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix sitemeagain
    |`- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteHank Rogers
    `- Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix siteHank Rogers

Pages:12
Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u1hk8v$2lspr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=366&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#366

From: gerry666uk@protonmail.com (gerry 666uk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 21:02:39 +0100
 by: gerry 666uk - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 20:02 UTC

Xander wrote:
> I know a guy who has a website made with/hosted by Wix, and annoyingly,
> they have one of those "Your browser is unsupported" screens they force
> you into if you aren't using modern Chrome or Firefox. I asked him if he
> could remove the declaration from his JS and he said he's not sure how
> to do it. I've never used Wix myself and I go out of my way to not use
> JS in my own webdev. Anyone know how to go about getting rid of this in
> a way that won't break anything else?

There are many reasons you might see "unsuppoprted browser", e.g. "user
agent checking" or "browser feature detection".

You'd need to cite the exact url that has the issue in order to find out
what's causing it.

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u1j0fl$2vh8c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=368&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#368

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:37:08 +0100
 by: Nuno Silva - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 08:37 UTC

On 2023-04-16, gerry 666uk wrote:

> Xander wrote:
>> I know a guy who has a website made with/hosted by Wix, and
>> annoyingly, they have one of those "Your browser is unsupported"
>> screens they force you into if you aren't using modern Chrome or
>> Firefox. I asked him if he could remove the declaration from his JS
>> and he said he's not sure how to do it. I've never used Wix myself
>> and I go out of my way to not use JS in my own webdev. Anyone know
>> how to go about getting rid of this in a way that won't break
>> anything else?
>
> There are many reasons you might see "unsuppoprted browser",
> e.g. "user agent checking" or "browser feature detection".
>
> You'd need to cite the exact url that has the issue in order to find
> out what's causing it.

The webpage at https://www.wix.com/ shows a similar (or perhaps the
same) message. As there's an error about customElements in the console,
I tried enabling these temporarily, and with customElements it does not
show the screen.

So it's possible the message/screen is triggered by their error handling
code, when it reaches the customElements-related failure?

But then this means Wix is injecting javascript in that website. Could
be how it works, though, as this seems to be a "builder" instead of just
a hoster.

(I'm afraid none of this is helpful to figure out how to get rid of that
screen on the website side (as this is probably in Wix's own code?); I
just wanted to share that enabling customElements apparently makes it go
away.)

--
Nuno Silva

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u1jmi0$32t8b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=372&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#372

From: not.an@email.address (Xander)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:53:52 -0500
 by: Xander - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:53 UTC

Thanks, Nuno, that'll solve the issue for me.

Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2023-04-16, gerry 666uk wrote:
>
>> Xander wrote:
>>> I know a guy who has a website made with/hosted by Wix, and
>>> annoyingly, they have one of those "Your browser is unsupported"
>>> screens they force you into if you aren't using modern Chrome or
>>> Firefox. I asked him if he could remove the declaration from his JS
>>> and he said he's not sure how to do it. I've never used Wix myself
>>> and I go out of my way to not use JS in my own webdev. Anyone know
>>> how to go about getting rid of this in a way that won't break
>>> anything else?
>>
>> There are many reasons you might see "unsuppoprted browser",
>> e.g. "user agent checking" or "browser feature detection".
>>
>> You'd need to cite the exact url that has the issue in order to find
>> out what's causing it.
>
> The webpage at https://www.wix.com/ shows a similar (or perhaps the
> same) message. As there's an error about customElements in the console,
> I tried enabling these temporarily, and with customElements it does not
> show the screen.
>
> So it's possible the message/screen is triggered by their error handling
> code, when it reaches the customElements-related failure?
>
> But then this means Wix is injecting javascript in that website. Could
> be how it works, though, as this seems to be a "builder" instead of just
> a hoster.
>
> (I'm afraid none of this is helpful to figure out how to get rid of that
> screen on the website side (as this is probably in Wix's own code?); I
> just wanted to share that enabling customElements apparently makes it go
> away.)

Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u1hh64$2lfsm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=375&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#375

From: not.an@email.address (Xander)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 14:09:54 -0500
 by: Xander - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 19:09 UTC

I know a guy who has a website made with/hosted by Wix, and annoyingly,
they have one of those "Your browser is unsupported" screens they force
you into if you aren't using modern Chrome or Firefox. I asked him if he
could remove the declaration from his JS and he said he's not sure how
to do it. I've never used Wix myself and I go out of my way to not use
JS in my own webdev. Anyone know how to go about getting rid of this in
a way that won't break anything else?

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u1ne5i$3o87s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=383&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#383

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 17:54:37 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 00:54 UTC

Nuno Silva wrote:
> But then this means Wix is injecting javascript in that website. Could
> be how it works, though, as this seems to be a "builder" instead of just
> a hoster.
>
> (I'm afraid none of this is helpful to figure out how to get rid of that
> screen on the website side (as this is probably in Wix's own code?); I
> just wanted to share that enabling customElements apparently makes it go
> away.)

Just for grins, I took at the Wix site. If I go to www.wix.com, and I
turn off NoScript, I can't get any further, because of the complaint
about unsupported browser, and that doesn't change if I spoof that I'm
running Firefox 102.

However, if I block all the scripting with NoScript, I can at least get
the login page at https://users.wix.com/signin, although I have to
enable scripting for wix.com and parastorage.com.

The login page gives options for logins with Google, Facebook and Apple,
and I'm sure that to get past those, it also requires enabling the
appropriate scripting for login. That might be sufficient to get a
login, but I don't know how easy it is to actually interact once you log in.

Although Wix may be hosting pages, they're selling to users that are
intending to build and maintain the pages that are hosted at Wix. Not
only do they provide scripting for their customers, but they're going to
be using the scripting tools for their own site. Right now, my
experience with Seamonkey is that if I'm successful in getting around
scripting limitations to access a site (e.g., spoofing), and that there
aren't fundamental conflicts by a site using scripting the Seamonkey
doesn't support, a site that makes heavy use of scripting (assuming that
I'm not blocking anything essential) tends to be slow when rendered in
Seamonkey. If I visit the same site with Firefox (including use of
uBlock Origin, blocking of scripts that aren't recognized as being
essential, and other preference and privacy tweaks), I usually see a lot
better performance from Firefox.

For Xander, there may be ways of coaxing Seamonkey to work with Wix
(either their development tools or hosted content), but it's probably
going to be a lot less frustrating to use a more modern browser there,
even if you continue to use Seamonkey for other sites that are less
scripting-intensive.

Smith

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2dts9$1ug7v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=405&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#405

From: rick0.merrill@gmail.com (meagain)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 09:38:17 -0400
 by: meagain - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 13:38 UTC

https://www.linkedin.com

just hangs for me - what to do?

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<847d9271-1f7f-2bad-2aff-700bb7d32058@spikowski.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=406&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#406

From: bill@spikowski.com (Bill Spikowski)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 09:48:19 -0400
 by: Bill Spikowski - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 13:48 UTC

meagain wrote:
> https://www.linkedin.com
>
> just hangs for me - what to do?

It's been that way for a while; I switch to another browser to use LinkedIn.

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<1e02f9f1-6f1d-2d8f-21ca-e183dc6ed267@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=407&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#407

From: rick0.merrill@gmail.com (meagain)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 11:48:24 -0400
 by: meagain - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:48 UTC

> It's been that way for a while; I switch to another browser to use
> LinkedIn.

There must be a Config way to change browser when you click a link.

--
..

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2ec0p$213eh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=408&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#408

From: gerry666uk@protonmail.com (gerry 666uk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 18:39:37 +0100
 by: gerry 666uk - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 17:39 UTC

meagain wrote:
> https://www.linkedin.com
>
> just hangs for me - what to do?

Using that exact url, a page loads very quickly for me saying "Welcome
to your professional community". It then has a picture of a woke freak
with a laptop - horrible.

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2emrf$22u0d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=409&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#409

From: rick0.merrill@gmail.com (meagain)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 16:44:30 -0400
 by: meagain - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 20:44 UTC

> Using that exact url, a page loads very quickly for me saying "Welcome
> to your professional community". It then has a picture of a woke freak
> with a laptop - horrible.

What am I doing wrong do you suppose?

--
..

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<nAB2M.251822$eRZ7.105864@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=410&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#410

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 16:13:50 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:13 UTC

meagain wrote:
> https://www.linkedin.com
>
> just hangs for me - what to do?

Works fine for me. But I don't have a password to actually log in.
Does the problem only occur *after* you log in? You need to be more
specific.

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<LEB2M.632103$PXw7.434255@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=411&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#411

Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
From: hank@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 16:18:30 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:18 UTC

gerry 666uk wrote:
> meagain wrote:
>> https://www.linkedin.com
>>
>> just hangs for me - what to do?
>
> Using that exact url, a page loads very quickly for me saying
> "Welcome to your professional community". It then has a picture of
> a woke freak with a laptop - horrible.

I get the same page, but I don't have an account to explore
farther, and probably never will. I guess we can't really help him.

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<MPG.3eb510359e7c83c698a0b2@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=412&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#412

From: Ray_Net@picarre.be.invalid (Ray_Net)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 00:06:05 +0200
 by: Ray_Net - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 22:06 UTC

In article <1e02f9f1-6f1d-2d8f-21ca-e183dc6ed267@gmail.com>, rick0.merrill@gmail.com says...

I have asked chat GPT about your request and that's what he find:

You can set Windows to prompt you which browser to use for each link you click by following
these steps:

In the default browser picker, select ?Look for an app in the Microsoft Store?.

Install any app of the offered (for this example I installed the File Downloader app).

After that choose the app that you installed as your default browser.

Than uninstall the app that you choose previously.

------------------------
Where is the default browser picker ?
---
You can find the default browser picker in Windows 10 by following these steps1:

Open ?Settings?.
Click or tap on ?System?.
In the pane on the left look for ?Default apps? towards the bottom. Click on it.
Scroll down to the bottom of the list where you?ll find an option for the web browser.
Click on whatever the current default is.
From the resulting dropdown box pick your new preference.

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<MPG.3eb510f62836801c98a0b3@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=413&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#413

From: Ray_Net@picarre.be.invalid (Ray_Net)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 00:09:13 +0200
 by: Ray_Net - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 22:09 UTC

In article <MPG.3eb510359e7c83c698a0b2@news.individual.net>, Ray_Net@picarre.be.invalid says...

> In article <1e02f9f1-6f1d-2d8f-21ca-e183dc6ed267@gmail.com>, rick0.merrill@gmail.com says...

BUT, unfortunately, I think that, when the link is in a page showed by the browser1 ... the
browser1 itself will go to the link you clicked on.

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2gccn$2e4p2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=414&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#414

From: daniel47@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 21:58:12 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:58 UTC

meagain wrote on 28/4/23 1:48 am:
> [...]
Meagin, in the thread "Reply-to: on Yahoo e-mails, it seems I had a
similar sort of problem and Richmond replied .....

Ah, the plot thickens. If you go into about:config then right click on
empty space and select new string, then enter this string:

general.useragent.override.linkedin.com

Then enter this value:

a/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0

You may also need to set this too (new boolean):

general.useragent.complexOverride.moodle

To this value:

True

Then refresh the Linkedin page and it should come up like in a modern
browser.
End Quote

What that does is make SeaMonkey identify itself as Firefox v91.0 when
at the LinkedIn page.

See if that fixes your problem.
--
Daniel

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2gp0g$2gdpn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=415&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#415

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 08:33:33 -0700
 by: NFN Smith - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:33 UTC

meagain wrote:
> [...]

Assuming that you're not blocking any scripting, the answer is probably
"no".

The underlying issue is not that the site is objecting to the identity
of your browser, but that it's trying to run scripting that requires
capacity that Seamonkey doesn't support in current versions. With
Firefox, that generally means running at least version 78, and
unfortunately, because Seamonkey is mostly based on Gecko 56, the
capacity just isn't there.

I'm keeping a list of sites that Seamonkey can't handle (and therefore,
require using other browsers), and LinkedIn is at the top of that list.

Smith

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2gsku$2gu05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=416&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#416

From: not.an@email.address (Xander)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:35:41 -0500
 by: Xander - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 16:35 UTC

Don't spam this mailing list with ChatGPT nonsense. ChatGPT is a
language learning model, essentially a very fancy Markov chain. It isn't
a computer science expert.

Ray_Net wrote:
> In article <1e02f9f1-6f1d-2d8f-21ca-e183dc6ed267@gmail.com>, rick0.merrill@gmail.com says...

<u2jkmg$31h15$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=417&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#417

From: gerry666uk@protonmail.com (gerry 666uk)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 18:38:24 +0100
 by: gerry 666uk - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:38 UTC

Ray_Net wrote:

> I have asked chat GPT about your request and that's what he find:

> In the default browser picker, select ?Look for an app in the Microsoft Store?.

Yes, I can imagine these idiotic bots will soon just tell you to buy
something from what ever company is running them.

A more interesting question for the bot, would be tell it to analyze the
page using the Seamonkey's rendering and scripting engine and tell us
the exact line of code where the error is.

Stackoverflow suspended answers from bots for now.

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<MPG.3eb7aa026f6718d798a0b8@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=418&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#418

From: Ray_Net@picarre.be.invalid (Ray_Net)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 23:26:51 +0200
 by: Ray_Net - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:26 UTC

In article <u2jkmg$31h15$2@dont-email.me>, gerry666uk@protonmail.com says...

> Ray_Net wrote:
>
> > I have asked chat GPT about your request and that's what he find:
>
> > In the default browser picker, select ?Look for an app in the Microsoft Store?.
>
> Yes, I can imagine these idiotic bots ...

The idiotic bot ahve fond the answer on a web page:
""
In the default browser picker, select ?Look for an app in the Microsoft Store?.
Install any app of the offered (for this example I installed the File Downloader app).
After that choose the app that you installed as your default browser.
Than uninstall the app that you choose previously.
""

Is that an incorrect solution for asking "What Browser do you choose to open the link ?"

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2m5qc$3km8m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=419&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#419

From: not.an@email.address (Xander)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 11:42:52 -0500
 by: Xander - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 16:42 UTC

It's incorrect for anyone not running Windows, and it's needlessly
complex. Again, ChatGPT is not any kind of computer expert. It's a bot
that tries to emulate human conversation.

Ray_Net wrote:
> In article <u2jkmg$31h15$2@dont-email.me>, gerry666uk@protonmail.com says...
>>
>> Ray_Net wrote:
>>
>>> I have asked chat GPT about your request and that's what he find:
>>
>>> In the default browser picker, select ?Look for an app in the Microsoft Store?.
>>
>> Yes, I can imagine these idiotic bots ...
>
> The idiotic bot ahve fond the answer on a web page:
> ""
> In the default browser picker, select ?Look for an app in the Microsoft Store?.
> Install any app of the offered (for this example I installed the File Downloader app).
> After that choose the app that you installed as your default browser.
> Than uninstall the app that you choose previously.
> ""
>
> Is that an incorrect solution for asking "What Browser do you choose to open the link ?"

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<MPG.3eb90d8b37b153b798a0ba@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=420&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#420

From: Ray_Net@picarre.be.invalid (Ray_Net)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 00:43:45 +0200
References: <u1hh64$2lfsm$1@dont-email.me> <u1hk8v$2lspr$1@dont-email.me> <u1j0fl$2vh8c$1@dont-email.me> <u1ne5i$3o87s$1@dont-email.me> <u2dts9$1ug7v$1@dont-email.me> <847d9271-1f7f-2bad-2aff-700bb7d32058@spikowski.com> <1e02f9f1-6f1d-2d8f-21ca-e183dc6ed267@gmail.com> <MPG.3eb510359e7c83c698a0b2@news.individual.net> <u2jkmg$31h15$2@dont-email.me> <MPG.3eb7aa026f6718d798a0b8@news.individual.net> <u2m5qc$3km8m$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Ray_Net - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 22:43 UTC

In article <u2m5qc$3km8m$1@dont-email.me>, not.an@email.address says...

I didnot think that ChatGPT is an expert, he just look about web pages containing an answer for
the submitted question.

I admit that's a little bit (really little) complex.

Therfore, to be pragmatic, do you have a very simple way to anwser and solve the question "I
want a way to change browser when you click a link." ?

> It's incorrect for anyone not running Windows, and it's needlessly
> complex. Again, ChatGPT is not any kind of computer expert. It's a bot
> that tries to emulate human conversation.
>
> Ray_Net wrote:

> >> Yes, I can imagine these idiotic bots ...
> >
> > The idiotic bot ahve fond the answer on a web page:
> > ""
> > In the default browser picker, select ?Look for an app in the Microsoft Store?.
> > Install any app of the offered (for this example I installed the File Downloader app).
> > After that choose the app that you installed as your default browser.
> > Than uninstall the app that you choose previously.
> > ""
> >
> > Is that an incorrect solution for asking "What Browser do you choose to open the link ?"

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2nb83$a3a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=421&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#421

From: not.an@email.address (Xander)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 22:21:39 -0500
<u1j0fl$2vh8c$1@dont-email.me> <u1ne5i$3o87s$1@dont-email.me>
<u2dts9$1ug7v$1@dont-email.me>
<847d9271-1f7f-2bad-2aff-700bb7d32058@spikowski.com>
<1e02f9f1-6f1d-2d8f-21ca-e183dc6ed267@gmail.com>
<MPG.3eb510359e7c83c698a0b2@news.individual.net>
<u2jkmg$31h15$2@dont-email.me>
<MPG.3eb7aa026f6718d798a0b8@news.individual.net>
<u2m5qc$3km8m$1@dont-email.me>
<MPG.3eb90d8b37b153b798a0ba@news.individual.net>
 by: Xander - Mon, 1 May 2023 03:21 UTC

No, and I'm not going to pretend I do, either, because I'm not a bot.

Ray_Net wrote:
> In article <u2m5qc$3km8m$1@dont-email.me>, not.an@email.address says...
>>

> I didnot think that ChatGPT is an expert, he just look about web pages containing an answer for
> the submitted question.
>
> I admit that's a little bit (really little) complex.
>
> Therfore, to be pragmatic, do you have a very simple way to anwser and solve the question "I
> want a way to change browser when you click a link." ?
>

>> It's incorrect for anyone not running Windows, and it's needlessly
>> complex. Again, ChatGPT is not any kind of computer expert. It's a bot
>> that tries to emulate human conversation.
>>
>> Ray_Net wrote:
>>> In article <u2jkmg$31h15$2@dont-email.me>, gerry666uk@protonmail.com says...

>>> The idiotic bot ahve fond the answer on a web page:
>>> ""
>>> In the default browser picker, select ?Look for an app in the Microsoft Store?.
>>> Install any app of the offered (for this example I installed the File Downloader app).
>>> After that choose the app that you installed as your default browser.
>>> Than uninstall the app that you choose previously.
>>> ""
>>>
>>> Is that an incorrect solution for asking "What Browser do you choose to open the link ?"

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2nqn6$2klc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=422&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#422

From: hyperspace.flyover@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 09:45:41 +0200
<u1j0fl$2vh8c$1@dont-email.me> <u1ne5i$3o87s$1@dont-email.me>
<u2dts9$1ug7v$1@dont-email.me>
<847d9271-1f7f-2bad-2aff-700bb7d32058@spikowski.com>
<1e02f9f1-6f1d-2d8f-21ca-e183dc6ed267@gmail.com>
<MPG.3eb510359e7c83c698a0b2@news.individual.net>
<u2jkmg$31h15$2@dont-email.me>
<MPG.3eb7aa026f6718d798a0b8@news.individual.net>
<u2m5qc$3km8m$1@dont-email.me>
<MPG.3eb90d8b37b153b798a0ba@news.individual.net>
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Mon, 1 May 2023 07:45 UTC

Ray_Net wrote:
> In article <u2m5qc$3km8m$1@dont-email.me>, not.an@email.address says...
>>

> I didnot think that ChatGPT is an expert, he just look about web pages containing an answer for
> the submitted question.
>
> I admit that's a little bit (really little) complex.
>
> Therfore, to be pragmatic, do you have a very simple way to anwser and solve the question "I
> want a way to change browser when you click a link." ?

There was one, but development ceased around 18 months ago.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/addon/open-with/versions/ is
the beast. A problem with Firefox add-ons is that newer versions often
(always?) don't work with Seamonkey. Ant uses this extension but his
version is 6.8.6 and I don't know where you would get that. The
extension has been discussed in this newsgroup so searching the posts
could help. If that fails - and you believe it would help - ask Ant.

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2o8fn$503b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=425&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#425

From: barryedwingilmour@gmail.com (Barryedwin1)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 19:40:38 +0800
<u1j0fl$2vh8c$1@dont-email.me> <u1ne5i$3o87s$1@dont-email.me>
<u2dts9$1ug7v$1@dont-email.me>
<847d9271-1f7f-2bad-2aff-700bb7d32058@spikowski.com>
<1e02f9f1-6f1d-2d8f-21ca-e183dc6ed267@gmail.com>
<MPG.3eb510359e7c83c698a0b2@news.individual.net>
<u2jkmg$31h15$2@dont-email.me>
<MPG.3eb7aa026f6718d798a0b8@news.individual.net>
<u2m5qc$3km8m$1@dont-email.me>
<MPG.3eb90d8b37b153b798a0ba@news.individual.net>
<u2nqn6$2klc$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Barryedwin1 - Mon, 1 May 2023 11:40 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 1/5/23 3:45 pm:
> Ray_Net wrote:
>> In article <u2m5qc$3km8m$1@dont-email.me>, not.an@email.address says...
>>>

>> I didnot think that ChatGPT is an expert, he just look about web pages
>> containing an answer for
>> the submitted question.
>>
>> I admit that's a little bit (really little) complex.
>>
>> Therfore, to be pragmatic, do you have a very simple way to anwser and
>> solve the question "I
>> want a way to change browser when you click a link." ?
>>

> There was one, but development ceased around 18 months ago.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/addon/open-with/versions/ is
> the beast.  A problem with Firefox add-ons is that newer versions often
> (always?) don't work with Seamonkey.  Ant uses this extension but his
> version is 6.8.6 and I don't know where you would get that.  The
> extension has been discussed in this newsgroup so searching the posts
> could help.  If that fails - and you believe it would help - ask Ant.

<https://addons.thunderbird.net/thunderbird/downloads/file/1012011/open_with-6.8.6-sm+tb.xpi>
still works for me.

Re: Removing "unsupported browser" declaration from Wix site

<u2om3k$8a3i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=428&group=alt.comp.software.seamonkey#428

From: worldoff9908@gmail.com (NFN Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.seamonkey
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 08:33:07 -0700
<u1j0fl$2vh8c$1@dont-email.me> <u1ne5i$3o87s$1@dont-email.me>
<u2dts9$1ug7v$1@dont-email.me>
<847d9271-1f7f-2bad-2aff-700bb7d32058@spikowski.com>
<1e02f9f1-6f1d-2d8f-21ca-e183dc6ed267@gmail.com>
<MPG.3eb510359e7c83c698a0b2@news.individual.net>
<u2jkmg$31h15$2@dont-email.me>
<MPG.3eb7aa026f6718d798a0b8@news.individual.net>
<u2m5qc$3km8m$1@dont-email.me>
<MPG.3eb90d8b37b153b798a0ba@news.individual.net>
<u2nqn6$2klc$1@dont-email.me>
 by: NFN Smith - Mon, 1 May 2023 15:33 UTC

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> There was one, but development ceased around 18 months ago.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/android/addon/open-with/versions/ is
> the beast.  A problem with Firefox add-ons is that newer versions often
> (always?) don't work with Seamonkey.  Ant uses this extension but his
> version is 6.8.6 and I don't know where you would get that.  The
> extension has been discussed in this newsgroup so searching the posts
> could help.  If that fails - and you believe it would help - ask Ant.

When Firefox went to Quantum with version 57, the old extensions
structure, based on XUL was replaced by WebExtensions, which is
essentially Google Chrome. On the positive side, that allows extension
writers (many of which are Firefox writers that migrated to Chrome) to
continue extensions that can be run by both Chrome and Firefox.
However, I think there is very little work still being done with the the
older XUL extensions.

For Seamonkey, that's part of why the browser is still essentially Gecko
56, as the development team has not yet implemented Quantum. As I
understand from the developer meeting notes and occasional comments from
FRG, that's a pretty large project, and likely beyond the time
capacities currently available.

Older versions of extensions are still usable, and there are a handful
of extensions that are still being updated, including NoScript, uBlock
Origin, DownThemAll, and several others. See
https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2023-04-16#Extensions_Tracking
for further dttail. Many extensions are still available from
https://addons.thunderbird.net/Seamonkey, and there is a further
collection of old XUL extensions from the Classic Addons Archive.

Beyond that, I think the only likely activity of XUL-based development
is likely to be stuff produced for PaleMoon.
https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ . I've never really looked at
what's currently happening there, although I now that a couple of months
ago, I did install a Polyfill extension to enhance interaction at
github, and where apparently that extension is essentially one done for
PaleMoon.

Smith