From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Classic Shell autostarting or not
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 23:22:39 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 23:22 UTC

When I first installed Classic Shell (Windows 7, Home Premium), I set it
to start when I booted, and it did. Now it doesn't. Almost certainly
something I did, but any idea what?

If I manually go into Classic Shell | Classic Start Menu Settings,
"Start automatically for this user" is ticked - and, just having gone
into that - without changing anything - brings it back into operation.

I'm not talking about Open Shell or any of the other descendants.
Classic Shell, version 4.3.1.

If something works, thank an engineer. (Reported seen on a bumper sticker.)

Re: Classic Shell autostarting or not

<t06897$1ojc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3740&group=alt.windows7.general#3740

From: nobody@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Classic Shell autostarting or not
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 16:33:42 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 00:33 UTC

On 3/7/2022 3:22 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> When I first installed Classic Shell (Windows 7, Home Premium), I set it
> to start when I booted, and it did. Now it doesn't. Almost certainly
> something I did, but any idea what?
>
> If I manually go into Classic Shell | Classic Start Menu Settings,
> "Start automatically for this user" is ticked - and, just having gone
> into that - without changing anything - brings it back into operation.
>
> I'm not talking about Open Shell or any of the other descendants.
> Classic Shell, version 4.3.1.

I too have Classic Shell 4.3.1, but I never have this problem. I used
WhatInStartup from Nirsoft (at
<http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html>) to view the
registry for auto-starting Classic Shell. Try updating your registry
with the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Classic Start Menu"="\"C:\\Classic Shell\\ClassicStartMenu.exe\" -autorun"

Alternatively, get WhatInStartup and then use it to set ClassicStartMenu
to start.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"