"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst." -- Thomas Paine

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)

SubjectAuthor
* Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)Paul W. Schleck
+* Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning:Marco Moock
|`- Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning:Andy Burns
+* Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning:rdh
|`- Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic ContPaul W. Schleck
`- Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic ContSn!pe

1
Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)

<uge646$s5d$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=346&group=alt.fan.usenet#346

From: pschleck@panix.com (Paul W. Schleck)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
Subject: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:46:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Paul W. Schleck - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:46 UTC

"There are a number of existing Usenet newsgroups with no moderator:

https://groups.google.com/g/news.groups/c/Pp2H754mV3E/m/khRrnN-1BgAJ

but currently no volunteers. Why have you not volunteered?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/16l12t6/poll_why_are_you_not_a_usenet_newsgroup_moderator/

Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)

<uge8e8$3t2o0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=348&group=alt.fan.usenet#348

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
Subject: Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning:
Sarcastic Content)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 16:26:15 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:26 UTC

Am 14.10.2023 um 13:46:46 Uhr schrieb Paul W. Schleck:

> "There are a number of existing Usenet newsgroups with no moderator:
>
> https://groups.google.com/g/news.groups/c/Pp2H754mV3E/m/khRrnN-1BgAJ
>
> but currently no volunteers. Why have you not volunteered?"
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/16l12t6/poll_why_are_you_not_a_usenet_newsgroup_moderator/

Is there a list of those groups?
Where can candidates find information which groups are currently not
usable because of lack of moderators?

I found some groups and discussed that with the big 8 management.

Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)

<kovnfhFoh2tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=349&group=alt.fan.usenet#349

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
Sarcastic Content)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:38:42 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:38 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

> schrieb Paul W. Schleck:
>
>> "There are a number of existing Usenet newsgroups with no moderator:
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/g/news.groups/c/Pp2H754mV3E/m/khRrnN-1BgAJ
>> but currently no volunteers. Why have you not volunteered?"

Because, in general, I prefer unmoderated groups.

>> https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/16l12t6/poll_why_are_you_not_a_usenet_newsgroup_moderator/
>
> Is there a list of those groups?

It was in the first message in the thread above, here's a direct link

<https://groups.google.com/g/news.groups/c/Pp2H754mV3E/m/HKoNBK8VBQAJ>

Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)

<OEbYM.22309$%WT8.900@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=356&group=alt.fan.usenet#356

Sarcastic Content)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
From: rdh@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 10:09:34 -0500
 by: rdh - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:09 UTC

Because I don't want to be one.

Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)

<uh1bu7$stk$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=360&group=alt.fan.usenet#360

From: pschleck@panix.com (Paul W. Schleck)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:22:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Paul W. Schleck - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:22 UTC

In <OEbYM.22309$%WT8.900@fx12.iad> rdh <rdh@tilde.institute> writes:

>Because I don't want to be one.

One person saying that they don't want to get involved is a personal
choice, maybe a reflection on their own apathy and indifference. A
whole community doing so has larger issues about collective motivations,
and how it affects the overall state of that community.

It reminds me of criticism of those who say, "I'm not political." This
is a form of virtue- (or vice?)-signaling from those who have almost
never never suffered from the shortcomings of the world, lack
self-awareness of how they came to be so sheltered, and are indifferent
to those that have suffered. And that's not just a left- or right-wing
view, it's about basic civility, civics, and good-citizen/good-neighbor
participation in public life.

For those who say "I prefer" or "I don't want to," what do you consider
a (pragmatically-achievable) ideal world, such as on Usenet, or Internet
forums in general? And how should we get there?

--
Paul W. Schleck
pschleck@panix.com

Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)

<1qjn7ep.1udkrpfap917pN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=369&group=alt.fan.usenet#369

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 11:32:50 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 11:32 UTC

Paul W. Schleck <pschleck@panix.com> wrote:

Please excuse me being late to the party.

> "There are a number of existing Usenet newsgroups with no moderator:
>
> <https://groups.google.com/g/news.groups/c/Pp2H754mV3E/m/khRrnN-1BgAJ>

That article is full of ad hominem abuse.

> but currently no volunteers. Why have you not volunteered?"

A moderated Usenet newsgroup is controlled by the whim of one person
or, at best, a small clique of moderators. Such a newsgroup is little
different from a proprietory web forum where the owner may ban
contributors on a whim.

> <https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/16l12t6/poll_why_are_you_not_a_usenet_newsgroup_moderator/>

That article's sarcasm ignored, the point is addressed above.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
My pet rock Gordon just is.

Google Groups articles not seen unless poster is whitelisted.

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)