From: internetado@bbs.alt119.net (Internetado)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Subject: HP Wants to Rent You a Printer That It Monitors at All Times
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 20:10:45 -0300
To: comp.periphs.printers
 by: Internetado - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 23:10 UTC

HP's "All-In Plan" requires a constant internet connection so that the
company can see not just how many pages you're printing, but what file
types. It costs up to $36 per month.

[s]
Internetado.
-- I wish I REALLY knew what I was doing.

Re: HP Wants to Rent You a Printer That It Monitors at All Times

<us1gts$2ebis$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=369&group=comp.periphs.printers#369

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 09:50:22 +0000
 by: Nuno Silva - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 09:50 UTC

On 2024-03-02, Internetado wrote:

> HP's "All-In Plan" requires a constant internet connection so that the
> company can see not just how many pages you're printing, but what file
> types. It costs up to $36 per month.

This has been making the rounds on fediverse (or at least on Mastodon?)
for a while now - I guess HP is trying really hard to kill their printer
business. Which, a looong time ago, might have been something they
didn't suck at?

Now is this going to happen only with inkjet or with their laser
printers too?

Even without this, I'd discourage getting inkjet printers sold by
HP. I've twice seen such printers rendered useless or harder to use by
brittle materials.

With this pricing, HP printers might also be more expensive for those
who have a cheaper printing service available nearby. Might depend on
whether one wants to print often in color, though.

Also, what about when the copyright cartels get hold of this and start
requiring that HP inflates prices with payments purportedly to
"compensate for printing protected works". Or have they already done
that?

--
Nuno Silva

Re: HP Wants to Rent You a Printer That It Monitors at All Times

<87zfvelnch.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=370&group=comp.periphs.printers#370

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 21:53:02 -0500
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 02:53 UTC

On Sun, 03 Mar 2024 09:50:22 +0000, Nuno Silva wrote:

> On 2024-03-02, Internetado wrote:
>
>> HP's "All-In Plan" requires a constant internet connection so that the
>> company can see not just how many pages you're printing, but what file
>> types. It costs up to $36 per month.

> This has been making the rounds on fediverse (or at least on Mastodon?)
> for a while now - I guess HP is trying really hard to kill their printer
> business. Which, a looong time ago, might have been something they
> didn't suck at?
>
> Now is this going to happen only with inkjet or with their laser
> printers too?

You [agree to] *rent* a printer and ink.

Quote:

| HP launched a subscription service Thursday that rents people a
| printer, allots them a specific amount of printed pages, and sends
| them ink for a monthly fee. HP is framing its service as a way to
| simplify printing for families and small businesses, but the deal
| also comes with monitoring and a years-long commitment.

Fine with me.
--
Andreas

Re: HP Wants to Rent You a Printer That It Monitors at All Times

<ra6cui1ua9qqsfnvhckhrldknbto3tuqe0@None>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=371&group=comp.periphs.printers#371

From: dont@bother.com (Arthur Conan Doyle)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 12:59:12 -0600
 by: Arthur Conan Doyle - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:59 UTC

Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:

>| HP launched a subscription service Thursday that rents people a
>| printer, allots them a specific amount of printed pages, and sends
>| them ink for a monthly fee. HP is framing its service as a way to
>| simplify printing for families and small businesses, but the deal
>| also comes with monitoring and a years-long commitment.
>
>Fine with me.

It's no different that most small business arrangements for photocopiers these
days. They pay a local office machine company by the sheet for every copy made
with certain usage minimums. Buying the machine outright is too expensive for
most.

--
Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.

Re: HP Wants to Rent You a Printer That It Monitors at All Times

<usspkf$6k1$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=372&group=comp.periphs.printers#372

From: jeffj@panix.com (Jeff Jonas)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:00:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jeff Jonas - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:00 UTC

>>| HP launched a subscription service Thursday that rents people a printer

>It's no different that most small business arrangements for photocopiers

1) I believe the photocopier leasing/rental includes service.
Will HP dispatch technicians to repair a leased printer?

2) I believe Xerox's original arrangement was pay per page
not a rental or ownership since businesses
grossly underestimated the copy count.
Xerox made a bundle that way.