From: jfairchild@tudado.org (Johanne Fairchild)
Newsgroups: comp.programming,comp.misc
Subject: comp.programming.literate restored (Was: Re: new moderation info)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 20:27:31 -0300
sha1:cBUlwGutpq+BG9XaG2mQOXurTvw=
 by: Johanne Fairchild - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 23:27 UTC

Great news! Maybe we should spread the word a bit?

Edward McGuire <metaed@metaed.com> wrote:

> [...]
> the person making the submission will be added to the list of regular
> contributors (whose posts are automatically accepted). In the unlikely
> event that a regular contributor sends a number of off-topic posts, that
> person will be notified by a moderator and removed from the list of
> regular contributors. The exact number of such posts required to trigger
> this action is left to the good judgement of the moderators. The
> moderators will continue to accept on-topic posts from such persons; no
> person is ever to be prohibited from posting articles deemed acceptable
> under this charter.
>
> Background:
>
> The rest of this section presents some background information to help
> people identify what topics are related to literate programming.
>
> In an article published in _The Computer Journal_ 27 (1984), 97-111,
> Donald E. Knuth proposed a "literate" programming style:
>
> I believe that the time is ripe for significantly better
> documentation of programs, and that we can best achieve this by
> considering programs to be works of literature. Hence, my title:
> "Literate Programming."
>
> Let us change our traditional attitude to the construction of
> programs: Instead of imagining that our main task is to instruct a
> *computer* what to do, let us concentrate rather on explaining to
> *human beings* what we want a computer to do.
>
> The practitioner of literate programming can be regarded as an
> essayist, whose main concern is with exposition and excellence of
> style. Such an author, with thesaurus in hand, chooses the names of
> variables carefully and explains what each variable means. He or she
> strives for a program that is comprehensible because its concepts
> have been introduced in an order that is best for human
> understanding, using a mixture of formal and informal methods that
> reinforce each other.
>
> There is reasonable (but not unanimous) consensus that a literate-
> programming system can be characterized by the following properties:
>
> - The compilable program and the publishable documentation should be
> generated *automatically* from a *single* source.
>
> - The program can be presented in the order that is best for human
> understanding, regardless of any requirements of the programming
> language.
>
> - The program should be automatically indexed and cross-referenced.
>
> - The program may be formatted or prettyprinted in a way that makes
> it especially readable.
>
> Existing literate-programming systems support a wide range of
> programming languages and documentation systems. Specialized tools have
> been written for Ada, Awk, C, C++, Fortran, Modula-2, Modula-3, Pascal
> and Scheme, and there are language-independent tools exist that support
> almost any programming language (including Perl, sh, and make).
> Documentation systems supported include HTML, TeX, Troff, and Word for

Re: comp.programming.literate restored (Was: Re: new moderation info)

<utuogk$1sl70$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3679&group=comp.misc#3679

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:10:12 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:10 UTC

Johanne Fairchild <jfairchild@tudado.org> wrote at 23:27 this Monday (GMT):
> [...]
>>
>> - The program can be presented in the order that is best for human
>> understanding, regardless of any requirements of the programming
>> language.
>>
>> - The program should be automatically indexed and cross-referenced.
>>
>> - The program may be formatted or prettyprinted in a way that makes
>> it especially readable.
>>
>> Existing literate-programming systems support a wide range of
>> programming languages and documentation systems. Specialized tools have
>> been written for Ada, Awk, C, C++, Fortran, Modula-2, Modula-3, Pascal
>> and Scheme, and there are language-independent tools exist that support
>> almost any programming language (including Perl, sh, and make).
>> Documentation systems supported include HTML, TeX, Troff, and Word for
>> Windows.
>
> Great news! Maybe we should spread the word a bit?

Certainly seems like an interesting newsgroup, I'll add it to my
fetchlist.