"It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God." (By Matt Welsh)

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Local folder name changed on import

SubjectAuthor
* Local folder name changed on importJeff Layman
+* Re: Local folder name changed on importBig Al
|`* Re: Local folder name changed on importJeff Layman
| `- Re: Local folder name changed on importBig Al
`- Re: Local folder name changed on importAndy Burns

1
Local folder name changed on import

<uspts7$btqb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3668&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3668

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Local folder name changed on import
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:54:47 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:54 UTC

I imported a 102 profile into my new 115. All the local folders seemed
to be ok except for one. This was originally named Alan/Bob/Charlie (not
the actual name), but as imported became something like Alan12acf43. I
tried renaming it to Alan/Bob/Charlie, but got the same Alan12acf43 on
saving.

Wondering if it was a "/ in the name" problem, I tried changing the name
to Alan-Bob-Charlie, and that succeeded. But, just out of interest, I
tried changing that name to Alan/Bob/Charlie. That worked perfectly! So
the name is now that same as it was in 102.

Go figure...

--

Jeff

Re: Local folder name changed on import

<uspv4m$ck7k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3669&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3669

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Local folder name changed on import
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 12:16:22 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:16 UTC

On 3/12/24 11:54 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I imported a 102 profile into my new 115. All the local folders seemed to be ok except for one. This
> was originally named Alan/Bob/Charlie (not the actual name), but as imported became something like
> Alan12acf43. I tried renaming it to Alan/Bob/Charlie, but got the same Alan12acf43 on saving.
>
> Wondering if it was a "/ in the name" problem, I tried changing the name to Alan-Bob-Charlie, and
> that succeeded. But, just out of interest, I tried changing that name to Alan/Bob/Charlie. That
> worked perfectly! So the name is now that same as it was in 102.
>
> Go figure...
>
> --
>
> Jeff

In your profile folder, look in 'Mail->Local Folders'. And that is a space in the name.
Each folder in TB should have a folder in your file explorer.
I don't have subfolders so slashes don't bother me. / in Linux is a folder delimiter, not in
Windows, but it's usually better to stay away IMHO.
You could just make an Alan folder, then Bob under that, then Charlie under that.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: Local folder name changed on import

<l5be4kF9uk1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3670&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3670

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:28:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:28 UTC

On 12/03/2024 15:54, Jeff Layman wrote:

> I imported a 102 profile into my new 115. All the local folders seemed
> to be ok except for one. This was originally named Alan/Bob/Charlie (not
> the actual name), but as imported became something like Alan12acf43. I
> tried renaming it to Alan/Bob/Charlie, but got the same Alan12acf43 on
> saving.
>
> Wondering if it was a "/ in the name" problem,

On a windows TB, I can create a folder within local folders, called
"fred/harry" and another called "fred\harry", not sure if linux might
object to one or the other?

both the actual fred* msf files within
C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\$random.default-release\Mail\Local
Folders

have got hex character name mangling, but that's hidden within TB

Re: Local folder name changed on import

<usqatt$f7n9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3671&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3671

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:37:33 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:37 UTC

On 12/03/2024 16:16, Big Al wrote:
> On 3/12/24 11:54 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I imported a 102 profile into my new 115. All the local folders seemed to be ok except for one. This
>> was originally named Alan/Bob/Charlie (not the actual name), but as imported became something like
>> Alan12acf43. I tried renaming it to Alan/Bob/Charlie, but got the same Alan12acf43 on saving.
>>
>> Wondering if it was a "/ in the name" problem, I tried changing the name to Alan-Bob-Charlie, and
>> that succeeded. But, just out of interest, I tried changing that name to Alan/Bob/Charlie. That
>> worked perfectly! So the name is now that same as it was in 102.
>>
>> Go figure...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff
>
> In your profile folder, look in 'Mail->Local Folders'. And that is a space in the name.
> Each folder in TB should have a folder in your file explorer.
> I don't have subfolders so slashes don't bother me. / in Linux is a folder delimiter, not in
> Windows, but it's usually better to stay away IMHO.
> You could just make an Alan folder, then Bob under that, then Charlie under that.

It's somewhat simpler to look in "Properties" for that particular folder
as it gives the full path (properties | location). It was interesting to
see that the folder name was still Alan12acf43, even though the name in
102 had been Alan/Bob/Charlie for years. It must have been something to
do with the profile importing that changed it. And that leads me nicely
to the opening of my second mattress factory!

When I first ran TB115 it created a profile. When I first copied the 102
profile to the .thunderbird folder, I first deleted that created profile
before copying the 102 profile to it (and changing the path in the .ini
file). When that didn't work I imported the 102 profile, which seemed to
work. Having a look at the .thunderbird folder where the "active" local
folders were (from properties | location) I was amazed to find they were
in the original created profile - lets call it abcd1a2b.default-release!
I also have the imported 102 folder called wxyz8x9z.default. What's
interesting is that recent mails and posts have been going in to
abcd1a2b.default-release, so in effect the 102 profile folder seems to
be a sort of archive of the time of import on Sunday. If there are two
profile folders, why don't I get asked which one to use when I start TB?
What's odd though, and I haven't done a detailed comparison, is that the
abcd1a2b.default-release folder has 63 items according to Nemo, whereas
the wxyz8x9z.default folder has 117! I might try renaming the
wxyz8x9z.default folder to see if it affects the operation of TB when
it's next run. If it doesn't I'll just copy it to a USB stick for future
reference if needed.

--

Jeff

Re: Local folder name changed on import

<usqh0a$ghrf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3672&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3672

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:21:14 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:21 UTC

On 3/12/24 03:37 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 12/03/2024 16:16, Big Al wrote:
>> On 3/12/24 11:54 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> I imported a 102 profile into my new 115. All the local folders seemed to be ok except for one. This
>>> was originally named Alan/Bob/Charlie (not the actual name), but as imported became something like
>>> Alan12acf43. I tried renaming it to Alan/Bob/Charlie, but got the same Alan12acf43 on saving.
>>>
>>> Wondering if it was a "/ in the name" problem, I tried changing the name to Alan-Bob-Charlie, and
>>> that succeeded. But, just out of interest, I tried changing that name to Alan/Bob/Charlie. That
>>> worked perfectly! So the name is now that same as it was in 102.
>>>
>>> Go figure...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>
>> In your profile folder, look in 'Mail->Local Folders'.  And that is a space in the name.
>> Each folder in TB should have a folder in your file explorer.
>> I don't have subfolders so slashes don't bother me.  / in Linux is a folder delimiter, not in
>> Windows, but it's usually better to stay away IMHO.
>> You could just make an Alan folder, then Bob under that, then Charlie under that.
>
> It's somewhat simpler to look in "Properties" for that particular folder as it gives the full path
> (properties | location). It was interesting to see that the folder name was still Alan12acf43, even
> though the name in 102 had been Alan/Bob/Charlie for years. It must have been something to do with
> the profile importing that changed it. And that leads me nicely to the opening of my second mattress
> factory!
>
> When I first ran TB115 it created a profile. When I first copied the 102 profile to the .thunderbird
> folder, I first deleted that created profile before copying the 102 profile to it (and changing the
> path in the .ini file). When that didn't work I imported the 102 profile, which seemed to work.
> Having a look at the .thunderbird folder where the "active" local folders were (from properties |
> location) I was amazed to find they were in the original created profile - lets call it
> abcd1a2b.default-release! I also have the imported 102 folder called wxyz8x9z.default. What's
> interesting is that recent mails and posts have been going in to abcd1a2b.default-release, so in
> effect the 102 profile folder seems to be a sort of archive of the time of import on Sunday. If
> there are two profile folders, why don't I get asked which one to use when I start TB? What's odd
> though, and I haven't done a detailed comparison, is that the abcd1a2b.default-release folder has 63
> items according to Nemo, whereas the wxyz8x9z.default folder has 117! I might try renaming the
> wxyz8x9z.default folder to see if it affects the operation of TB when it's next run. If it doesn't
> I'll just copy it to a USB stick for future reference if needed.
>
> --
>
> Jeff

I don't know when TB started this, but they make this 'release' profile folder all the time. It has
little info in it, and if you browse inside, you see a lot of the normal files/folders missing.

On mine, I must have changed the profile.ini and change that 2nd release folder to the same name as
my install which is tbird.default. I see tbird.default in there 3 times. I do the same nameing
thing for FF, firefox.default.

I have scripts and back routines that demand those profile names. But as I said earlier, I have no
such issues since I just copy the entire .thunderbird in and everything works. Maybe because I
killed that release thing. Not sure, I just have it working like a swiss clock and I leave it alone.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Local folder name changed on import