From: dmwood@barn.local (David M. Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Launching vi on pdflatex error, TeXLive under MacOS
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 23:39:34 +0000 (UTC)
 by: David M. Wood - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 23:39 UTC

Dear all,

In the past when using pdflatex on MacOS (TeXLive installed via MacTeX)
upon encountering an error during running pdflatex I'd type 'e'
to launch vi (actually vim) to find and correct a typo.
Since upgrading to TeXLive 2021 this dumps me back at the command line
with the message

/Library/TeX/texbin/pdflatex:calledit: unexpected if_ptr=3 not in range 1..1,from input_stack[2].namefield=21445

Have I failed to update something, or has something changed? (I LOVE using
vi for this purpose--my fingers haven't needed training in 30 years.)
I tried setting TEXEDIT in ~/.bash_profile, to no avail.

Have shell variables been changed in TeXLive 2021?

Many thanks for any suggestions
--David Wood

--
David M. Wood

Re: Launching vi on pdflatex error, TeXLive under MacOS

<60bb25ab$0$3683$426a34cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3665&group=comp.text.tex#3665

Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
From: jfREMOVEbu@free.fr (jfbu)
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 09:20:12 +0200
 by: jfbu - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 07:20 UTC

Le 05/06/2021 à 01:39, David M. Wood a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> In the past when using pdflatex on MacOS (TeXLive installed via MacTeX)
> upon encountering an error during running pdflatex I'd type 'e'
> to launch vi (actually vim) to find and correct a typo.
> Since upgrading to TeXLive 2021 this dumps me back at the command line
> with the message
>
> /Library/TeX/texbin/pdflatex:calledit: unexpected if_ptr=3 not in range 1..1,from input_stack[2].namefield=21445
>
> Have I failed to update something, or has something changed? (I LOVE using
Hi,
Perhaps something changed in Mac OS ?
With 10.9.5 (mavericks), it works as expected with this test file:
----
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\def\foo1{}

\foo.

\end{document}
----
from "pdflatex testlatex" in a Terminal window.
I am with TL2021, but not MacTeX as it does not support my version of mac os.
I tested this with TeXLive2021/darwin-legacy (and with the binaries compiled at my locale).
The sources are the same as for MacTeX and I am ignorant whether the compilation route could matter.

Per miracle I remembered from decades ago magic ":q" to quit vim else I could have remained stuck with it a long time.

Best,
Jean-François

Re: Launching vi on pdflatex error, TeXLive under MacOS

<ii6bkbF5mm0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3666&group=comp.text.tex#3666

From: nospam@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:44:24 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard Lisse - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 10:44 UTC

Works for MacTeX 2021 on Big Sur, though it fires up my preferred editor
TextMate, as it should :-)-O

All environment variables et correctly?

All config files in order?

el

--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'

computers / comp.text.tex / Launching vi on pdflatex error, TeXLive under MacOS