From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Why does 23.10 boot extremely fast?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 10:21:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 10:21 UTC

Hello everyone,

after installing I was wondering how this can be that an OS boots within
some seconds?

From other distros I am used that boot needs around 20-40 seconds, but
Ubuntu 23.10, after passing the (legacy) BIOS, is prompting its graphics
surface after around 4-5 seconds.
This looks to me that they created some kind of image which is unpacked
and started when booting. It's just, that I do not remember that such
options were shown during installation.

Besides this, any change to files in the /etc/profile.d directory do not
take effect directly after modifying. Maybe, instead, remaking the image
afterwards is just triggered to make the changes permanent.

It seems that these two things are somehow related.

Does anyone know exactly what's behind that warpspeed boot?

Thanks!

best regards,

Markus

Re: Why does 23.10 boot extremely fast?

<uisv29$k4kc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3655&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3655

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: Why does 23.10 boot extremely fast?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 11:50:49 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 10:50 UTC

Am 13.11.2023 um 10:21:51 Uhr schrieb Markus Robert Kessler:

> From other distros I am used that boot needs around 20-40 seconds,
> but Ubuntu 23.10, after passing the (legacy) BIOS, is prompting its
> graphics surface after around 4-5 seconds.
> This looks to me that they created some kind of image which is
> unpacked and started when booting. It's just, that I do not remember
> that such options were shown during installation.

Most likely in the other situation a service stuck.

Disable the boot options "quiet" and "splash" in /etc/default/grub and
boot again or use systemd-analyze blame to find the stuff that takes
long.

Re: Why does 23.10 boot extremely fast?

<uit4cj$l5lb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3657&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3657

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 07:21:37 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:21 UTC

On 11/13/2023 5:21 AM, Markus Robert Kessler wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> after installing I was wondering how this can be that an OS boots within
> some seconds?
>
> From other distros I am used that boot needs around 20-40 seconds, but
> Ubuntu 23.10, after passing the (legacy) BIOS, is prompting its graphics
> surface after around 4-5 seconds.
> This looks to me that they created some kind of image which is unpacked
> and started when booting. It's just, that I do not remember that such
> options were shown during installation.
>
> Besides this, any change to files in the /etc/profile.d directory do not
> take effect directly after modifying. Maybe, instead, remaking the image
> afterwards is just triggered to make the changes permanent.
>
> It seems that these two things are somehow related.
>
> Does anyone know exactly what's behind that warpspeed boot?
>
> Thanks!
>
> best regards,
>
> Markus

S3 Sleep or S4 hibernate ?

Hardware is a laptop or tablet ?

Paul

Re: Why does 23.10 boot extremely fast?

<uitjne$n748$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3660&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3660

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:43 UTC

On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 07:21:37 -0500 Paul wrote:

> On 11/13/2023 5:21 AM, Markus Robert Kessler wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> after installing I was wondering how this can be that an OS boots
>> within some seconds?
>>
>> From other distros I am used that boot needs around 20-40 seconds, but
>> Ubuntu 23.10, after passing the (legacy) BIOS, is prompting its
>> graphics surface after around 4-5 seconds.
>> This looks to me that they created some kind of image which is unpacked
>> and started when booting. It's just, that I do not remember that such
>> options were shown during installation.
>>
>> Besides this, any change to files in the /etc/profile.d directory do
>> not take effect directly after modifying. Maybe, instead, remaking the
>> image afterwards is just triggered to make the changes permanent.
>>
>> It seems that these two things are somehow related.
>>
>> Does anyone know exactly what's behind that warpspeed boot?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> best regards,
>>
>> Markus
>>

> S3 Sleep or S4 hibernate ?
>
> Hardware is a laptop or tablet ?
>
> Paul

Hi Paul, Marco,

it's normal boot, no sleep-mode or hibernate. Machine is a laptop /
notebook with docking station.

I just went into grub menu, now, selected "advanced options for Ubuntu"
==> "Ubuntu with Linux 6.5.0-10-generic". ==> It prompts

After that, it says that /dev/sda1 is clean,
and a few seconds later, graphics mode is active.
No systemd messages like "xxx target reached", "waiting for service yyy"
and so on are displayed as known from other distros.
Same behaviour when just booting without touching anything but even
faster.

Best regards,

Markus

Re: Why does 23.10 boot extremely fast?

<sm08r71woil.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3661&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3661

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 19:29:06 +0200
sha1:WXCDrZoK8WALY6HmJwlhYCl29Tg=
 by: Anssi Saari - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 17:29 UTC

Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 07:21:37 -0500 Paul wrote:
>
>> On 11/13/2023 5:21 AM, Markus Robert Kessler wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> after installing I was wondering how this can be that an OS boots
>>> within some seconds?
>>>
>>> From other distros I am used that boot needs around 20-40 seconds, but
>>> Ubuntu 23.10, after passing the (legacy) BIOS, is prompting its
>>> graphics surface after around 4-5 seconds.
>>> This looks to me that they created some kind of image which is unpacked
>>> and started when booting. It's just, that I do not remember that such
>>> options were shown during installation.
>>>
>>> Besides this, any change to files in the /etc/profile.d directory do
>>> not take effect directly after modifying. Maybe, instead, remaking the
>>> image afterwards is just triggered to make the changes permanent.
>>>
>>> It seems that these two things are somehow related.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know exactly what's behind that warpspeed boot?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> best regards,
>>>
>>> Markus
>>>

>> S3 Sleep or S4 hibernate ?
>>
>> Hardware is a laptop or tablet ?
>>
>> Paul
>
> Hi Paul, Marco,
>
> it's normal boot, no sleep-mode or hibernate. Machine is a laptop /
> notebook with docking station.
>
> I just went into grub menu, now, selected "advanced options for Ubuntu"
> ==> "Ubuntu with Linux 6.5.0-10-generic". ==> It prompts

> After that, it says that /dev/sda1 is clean,
> and a few seconds later, graphics mode is active.
> No systemd messages like "xxx target reached", "waiting for service yyy"
> and so on are displayed as known from other distros.
> Same behaviour when just booting without touching anything but even
> faster.

One thing that speeded up the boot on my desktop system was preciselya

Re: Why does 23.10 boot extremely fast?

<sm04jhpwohy.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3662&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3662

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 19:29:29 +0200
sha1:yw2/apBBDqvwkDHH+UjEQlFVCdM=
 by: Anssi Saari - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 17:29 UTC

Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 07:21:37 -0500 Paul wrote:
>
>> On 11/13/2023 5:21 AM, Markus Robert Kessler wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> after installing I was wondering how this can be that an OS boots
>>> within some seconds?
>>>
>>> From other distros I am used that boot needs around 20-40 seconds, but
>>> Ubuntu 23.10, after passing the (legacy) BIOS, is prompting its
>>> graphics surface after around 4-5 seconds.
>>> This looks to me that they created some kind of image which is unpacked
>>> and started when booting. It's just, that I do not remember that such
>>> options were shown during installation.
>>>
>>> Besides this, any change to files in the /etc/profile.d directory do
>>> not take effect directly after modifying. Maybe, instead, remaking the
>>> image afterwards is just triggered to make the changes permanent.
>>>
>>> It seems that these two things are somehow related.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know exactly what's behind that warpspeed boot?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> best regards,
>>>
>>> Markus
>>>

>> S3 Sleep or S4 hibernate ?
>>
>> Hardware is a laptop or tablet ?
>>
>> Paul
>
> Hi Paul, Marco,
>
> it's normal boot, no sleep-mode or hibernate. Machine is a laptop /
> notebook with docking station.
>
> I just went into grub menu, now, selected "advanced options for Ubuntu"
> ==> "Ubuntu with Linux 6.5.0-10-generic". ==> It prompts

> After that, it says that /dev/sda1 is clean,
> and a few seconds later, graphics mode is active.
> No systemd messages like "xxx target reached", "waiting for service yyy"
> and so on are displayed as known from other distros.
> Same behaviour when just booting without touching anything but even
> faster.

One thing that speeded up the boot on my desktop was pre

Re: Why does 23.10 boot extremely fast?

<sm0zfzhv9rt.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3663&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3663

From: anssi.saari@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 19:32:54 +0200
sha1:QZnE0pmXnFlbB7NWso6qfbquDTU=
 by: Anssi Saari - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 17:32 UTC

Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> writes:

> After that, it says that /dev/sda1 is clean,
> and a few seconds later, graphics mode is active.
> No systemd messages like "xxx target reached", "waiting for service yyy"
> and so on are displayed as known from other distros.
> Same behaviour when just booting without touching anything but even
> faster.

That was precisely the thing that sped up the boot on my desktop system
at some point, namely turning off the flood of text on the display
during boot with the "quiet" kernel option. It goes pretty slowly at
least with my Nvidia GPU.