"The only way for a reporter to look at a politician is down." -- H. L. Mencken

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?

SubjectAuthor
* Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?Stan Brown
+* Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?Dave Royal
|`- Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?Stan Brown
`* Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?David E. Ross
 `* Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?Brian Gregory
  `- Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?David E. Ross

1
Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?

<MPG.4057849c2b7467da9902bd@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3624&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3624

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 09:50:14 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:50 UTC

I was about to load an add-on, but then I noticed it's from Github. I
got to it via add-ons search within Thunderbird. Does that mean
someone at Thunderbird has "passed" it?

VirusTotal says it's clean, but I'm not sure that means much on an
add-on.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?

<usku24$33mr2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3625&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3625

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 18:27:15 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 18:27 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> Wrote in message:

> I was about to load an add-on, but then I noticed it's from Github. I
> got to it via add-ons search within Thunderbird. Does that mean
> someone at Thunderbird has "passed" it?
>
> VirusTotal says it's clean, but I'm not sure that means much on an
> add-on.

No. There's an automated validation when you upload it - a scan
for disallowed code and a check on included libraries for
example. And they say it might be subject to a human review and
rejection later.
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?

<usl7vo$35s7k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3626&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3626

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 14:16:38 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:16 UTC

On 3/10/2024 9:50 AM, Stan Brown wrote:

> I was about to load an add-on, but then I noticed it's from Github. I
> got to it via add-ons search within Thunderbird. Does that mean
> someone at Thunderbird has "passed" it?
>
> VirusTotal says it's clean, but I'm not sure that means much on an
> add-on.

I am not aware of any DNS that provides the privacy of a VPN.

I scan every new application and update to an application I already
installed with three different anti-virus applications: AVG AntiVirus,
Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials. I even scan updates to
those three; but I do not scan updates to the virus definitions, which
are data and not executables. For me, "application" includes add-ons to
SeaMonkey and Thunderbird.

All this means that I download a complete off-line installer file, scan,
and then disconnect from the Internet while installing. If only a stub
installer is available after I have unsuccessfully searched for an
off-line installer, I must then leave my Internet connection active; in
that case, AVG AntiVirus also remains active during the installation
(and generally, not just then).

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Demonstrators worldwide are demanding that Israel stop
fighting in Gaza. Why does it seem that no one is demanding
that Hamas stop fighting? And where are the demonstrations
against Russia fighting in the Ukraine.

Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?

<l56o40Fijg0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3627&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3627

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:47:44 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 21:47 UTC

On 10/03/2024 21:16, David E. Ross wrote:
> I am not aware of any DNS that provides the privacy of a VPN.

What?
Nobody has mentioned DNS or VPN.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?

<MPG.4058da6a78e962c89902be@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3643&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3643

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:08:33 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:08 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 18:27:15 +0000 (GMT), Dave Royal wrote:

> Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> Wrote in message:
>
> > I was about to load an add-on, but then I noticed it's from Github. I
> > got to it via add-ons search within Thunderbird. Does that mean
> > someone at Thunderbird has "passed" it?
> >
> > VirusTotal says it's clean, but I'm not sure that means much on an
> > add-on.
>
> No. There's an automated validation when you upload it - a scan
> for disallowed code and a check on included libraries for
> example. And they say it might be subject to a human review and
> rejection later.

Thanks, Dave!

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Does anyone vet Thumnderbird add-ons from Github?

<usnkr5$3pdit$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3648&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3648

From: nobody@nowhere.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 12:08:21 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:08 UTC

On 3/10/2024 2:47 PM, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 10/03/2024 21:16, David E. Ross wrote:
>> I am not aware of any DNS that provides the privacy of a VPN.
>
> What?
> Nobody has mentioned DNS or VPN.

Oops! I was thinking about another post in a different newsgroup when I
added that.