From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: What does ubuntu-bug package.deb collect and send?
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 19:31:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 19:31 UTC

Hi everyone,

I just try to get familiar with LTS 22.04.

First, setting up network-manager for openconnect worked properly.
But trying the same for vpnc did not work: after installing vpnc, network-
manager-vpnc and network-manager-vpnc-gnome, the form did not let me save
the settings after filling it out.
I saw, that this seems a known bug. Someone recommended to "downgrade" nw-
vpnc-gnome to an older version, but then the dependencies are no longer
fulfilled.

I followed the recommendation to invoke (Alt-F2) "ubuntu-bug network-
manager-vpnc-gnome", and after that there was heavy network traffic, but
I'd like to know what exactly is being transmitted, where to and why.
Does anybody know?

Or, is there a better way to submit a bug report?

Thanks!
Best regards,

Markus

Re: What does ubuntu-bug package.deb collect and send?

<ui2hvj$2nvj9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3613&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3613

From: mm+usenet@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 11:28:03 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 10:28 UTC

Am 01.11.2023 schrieb Markus Robert Kessler
<no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de>:

> I followed the recommendation to invoke (Alt-F2) "ubuntu-bug network-
> manager-vpnc-gnome", and after that there was heavy network traffic,
> but I'd like to know what exactly is being transmitted, where to and
> why. Does anybody know?

It will be transferred to the bugtracker at launchpad.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/

Data will be collected using apport, so check that page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

Re: What does ubuntu-bug package.deb collect and send?

<ui837a$99g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3630&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3630

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 07:52:57 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 12:52 UTC

On 11/1/2023 3:31 PM, Markus Robert Kessler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just try to get familiar with LTS 22.04.
>
> First, setting up network-manager for openconnect worked properly.
> But trying the same for vpnc did not work: after installing vpnc, network-
> manager-vpnc and network-manager-vpnc-gnome, the form did not let me save
> the settings after filling it out.
> I saw, that this seems a known bug. Someone recommended to "downgrade" nw-
> vpnc-gnome to an older version, but then the dependencies are no longer
> fulfilled.
>
> I followed the recommendation to invoke (Alt-F2) "ubuntu-bug network-
> manager-vpnc-gnome", and after that there was heavy network traffic, but
> I'd like to know what exactly is being transmitted, where to and why.
> Does anybody know?
>
> Or, is there a better way to submit a bug report?
>
> Thanks!
> Best regards,
>
> Markus

I started collecting some breadcrumbs, when suddenly...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Filing_bugs_manually_at_Launchpad.net

https://linux.die.net/man/8/vpnc

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/NetworkManager-vpnc

*******

a thought just occurred to me.

Since this is Ubuntu, what if the "network-manager-vpnc-gnome"
was interacting with a Snap for the entire Gnome desktop.

Snaps have controls over where they can write. Perhaps it is the
Snap container scheme that impedes your forward progress ?
And this is why no one else has the problem (why the author of the
package would think you were nuts).

snap list

gnome-42-2204 # Ubuntu 23.10

# Maybe this will be amusing, maybe not...

https://hackernoon.com/managing-ubuntu-snaps-the-stuff-no-one-tells-you-625dfbe4b26c

*******

Set up a parallel environment, one without snaps in it, and
experiment there. I would not tear your existing environment
to bits, seeking justice. Make a space you can beat up the
component parts, until you get what you want. Maybe that
would be a Linux Mint.

Paul

Re: What does ubuntu-bug package.deb collect and send?

<uigopk$1okhv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3638&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3638

From: no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 19:50:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 19:50 UTC

On Sun, 5 Nov 2023 07:52:57 -0500 Paul wrote:

> On 11/1/2023 3:31 PM, Markus Robert Kessler wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I just try to get familiar with LTS 22.04.
>>
>> First, setting up network-manager for openconnect worked properly.
>> But trying the same for vpnc did not work: after installing vpnc,
>> network-
>> manager-vpnc and network-manager-vpnc-gnome, the form did not let me
>> save the settings after filling it out.
>> I saw, that this seems a known bug. Someone recommended to "downgrade"
>> nw-
>> vpnc-gnome to an older version, but then the dependencies are no longer
>> fulfilled.
>>
>> I followed the recommendation to invoke (Alt-F2) "ubuntu-bug network-
>> manager-vpnc-gnome", and after that there was heavy network traffic,
>> but I'd like to know what exactly is being transmitted, where to and
>> why. Does anybody know?
>>
>> Or, is there a better way to submit a bug report?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Markus
>>

> I started collecting some breadcrumbs, when suddenly...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/
ReportingBugs#Filing_bugs_manually_at_Launchpad.net

> https://linux.die.net/man/8/vpnc
>
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/NetworkManager-vpnc
>
> *******
>
> a thought just occurred to me.
>
> Since this is Ubuntu, what if the "network-manager-vpnc-gnome"
> was interacting with a Snap for the entire Gnome desktop.
>
> Snaps have controls over where they can write. Perhaps it is the Snap
> container scheme that impedes your forward progress ?
> And this is why no one else has the problem (why the author of the
> package would think you were nuts).
>
> snap list
>
> gnome-42-2204 # Ubuntu 23.10
>
> # Maybe this will be amusing, maybe not...
>
> https://hackernoon.com/managing-ubuntu-snaps-the-stuff-no-one-tells-
you-625dfbe4b26c

> *******
>
> Set up a parallel environment, one without snaps in it, and experiment
> there. I would not tear your existing environment to bits, seeking
> justice. Make a space you can beat up the component parts, until you get
> what you want. Maybe that would be a Linux Mint.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for the links above.

Well, network manager for openconnect works perfectly and I can easily
establish VPN connections. Though this is Gnome, and I am running Xfce4.

But network manager for vpnc behaves differently, i.e., it does not let me
save my settings. In some discussion fora several users complained that
the same occurred to them.

They recommended to use an older version to get around this bug.

I am just not sure how to force this to be along with fulfilling all
dependencies. So, a bug report and a fix through official repo would be
more helpful.

Best regards,

Markus