From: vincent.belaiche@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: Russian text
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 17:09:19 +0200
 by: vincent.belaiche@gmail.com - Sun, 23 May 2021 15:09 UTC

Pieter van Oostrum <pieter-l@vanoostrum.org> writes:

> Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 20:52:40 +0100, Pieter van Oostrum wrote:
>>
> . . .
>>> But to have the command \textrussian working you need to add
>>> babeltags{russian = russian}
>>
>> Where do I add that? What to?
>> And I do understand about the %, and that I'd have to remove them
>> to activate those lines.
>
> Sorry, I forgot to type the \
>
> It should be \babeltags{russian = russian}
> and you can put it after the \usepackage...{babel}

To write in Russian, it is all account to which compiler you are
using. If your document UTF8 encoded, then use xelatex. If your
document has some 8bit encoding, like koi8r that allows to mix cyrillic
& latin, then using koi8-r inputenc is what you need.

Below is an example using only ASCII + some transliteration, which may
be more portable for a BibTeX file and can be used with pdflatex, not
only xelatex (the case given w/o transliteration would work also in 8bit
encodings like koi8-r case, so you could use it in a main file typed in
cyrillic with such encoding.

An alternative is to write the Russian text in Latin using ISO9, which
actually may be preferable if your text is intended to non-russian
speakers (I must admit that I don't know how to render the prime used in
ISO9 for the soft sign « ь », I just wrote $^\prime$, but it does not
look so good. I welcome any suggestion.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T2A,T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[ot2enc]{inputenc}
\usepackage[russian,english]{babel}
\begin{document}

\section{With transliteration}

{\cyr O chislennom reshenii uraveniya, kotorym v tehnicheskih voprosah
opredelyayu{t}sya chastoty malyh kolebani{\U i}
material{\cyrsftsn}nyh sistem} (On the numerical
solution of equations by which the frequencies of small
vibrations of material systems in technical problems
are determined)

\section{W/o transliteration}

{\cyr\CYRO\space\cyrch\cyri\cyrs\cyrl\cyre\cyrn\cyrn\cyro\cyrm\space
\cyrr\cyre\cyrsh\cyre\cyrn\cyri\cyri\space\cyru\cyrr\cyra\cyrv\cyre
\cyrn\cyri\cyrya, \cyrk\cyro\cyrt\cyro\cyrr\cyrery\cyrm\space\cyrv
\space\cyrt\cyre\cyrh\cyrn\cyri\cyrc\cyrh\cyre\cyrs\cyrk\cyri\cyrh\space
\cyrv\cyro\cyrp\cyrr\cyro\cyrs\cyra\cyrh\space\cyro\cyrp\cyrr\cyre\cyrd
\cyre\cyrl\cyrya\cyrery\cyru\cyrt\cyrs\cyrya\space\cyrc\cyrh\cyra\cyrs
\cyrt\cyro\cyrt\cyrery\space\cyrm\cyra\cyrl\cyrery\cyrh\space\cyrk\cyro
\cyrl\cyre\cyrb\cyra\cyrn\cyr\cyrishrt\space\cyrm\cyra\cyrt\cyre\cyrr
\cyri\cyra\cyrl\cyrsftsn\cyrery\cyrh\space\cyrs\cyri\cyrs\cyrt\cyre
\cyrm} (On the numerical solution of equations by which the frequencies
of small vibrations of material systems in technical problems are
determined)

\section{In Latin with ISO9}

O {\v c}islennom reshenii uraveni{\^a}, kotorym v tehni{\v c}eskih
voprosah opredel{\^a}{\^u}ts{\^a} {\v c}astoty malyh kolebani{\`\i}
material$^\prime$nyh sistem (On the numerical solution of equations by
which the frequencies of small vibrations of material systems in
technical problems are determined)

\end{document}

Re: Russian text

<60AA75D7.CC3C8472@Berger-Odenthal.De>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3623&group=comp.text.tex#3623

From: Spam@Berger-Odenthal.De (Axel Berger)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 17:33:43 +0200
 by: Axel Berger - Sun, 23 May 2021 15:33 UTC

vincent.belaiche@gmail.com wrote:
> An alternative is to write the Russian text in Latin using ISO9, which
> actually may be preferable if your text is intended to non-russian
> speakers

If a cited reference is in Russian, Hebrew or whatever I list it that
way. It's of no use to anybody to go to some length to acquire something
through inter library loan and only then to realize, they can't read it.
But I do give the transliterated author and translated title a note so
the reader can see whether it's important enough to find help from a
speaker of that
language. For an example see Pugachenkova 1965 in
http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Referat/Literatur-Bronze.pdf

(And to be quite honest, I enjoy showing off what TeX can do to all
those struggling with the limits of M$-Word. It's the only reason why I
sometimes include CR-codes which I consider rather silly otherwise.)

--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069

Re: Russian text

<igve4fFjenlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3624&group=comp.text.tex#3624

From: acornish@imm.cnrs.fr (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 18:27:59 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sun, 23 May 2021 16:27 UTC

On 2021-05-23 15:33:43 +0000, Axel Berger said:

> vincent.belaiche@gmail.com wrote:
>> An alternative is to write the Russian text in Latin using ISO9, which
>> actually may be preferable if your text is intended to non-russian
>> speakers
>
> If a cited reference is in Russian, Hebrew or whatever I list it that
> way. It's of no use to anybody to go to some length to acquire something
> through inter library loan and only then to realize, they can't read it.
> But I do give the transliterated author and translated title a note so
> the reader can see whether it's important enough to find help from a
> speaker of thatlanguage. For an example see Pugachenkova 1965 in
> http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Referat/Literatur-Bronze.pdf

I wish you could persuade World of Science to follow your sensible
system. One of the most famous papers in biochemistry was called
"Kinetik der Invertinwirkung" by its authors, but you wouldn't know
that from World of Science, which calls it "The kenetics of the
inversion effect". It's not even a good translation, which would be
something like "The kinetics of invertase action". It doesn't even seem
to come from an automatic translation program, which probably wouldn't
be guilty of "kenetics". In this case it doesn't matter (to me) because
I know what the real title is, but sometimes I want to find out the
actual title of a paper and not what some unknown person thinks it
means.

> (And to be quite honest, I enjoy showing off what TeX can do to all
> those struggling with the limits of M$-Word. It's the only reason why I
> sometimes include CR-codes which I consider rather silly otherwise.)

--
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years

computers / comp.text.tex / Re: Russian text