From: fungus@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Subject: ASCII art vs AI
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 17 Mar 2024 09:23:04 GMT
 by: Retrograde - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 09:23 UTC

From the «stop calling it intelligent» department:
Feed: Ars Technica - All content
Title: ASCII art elicits harmful responses from 5 major AI chatbots
Author: Dan Goodin
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 20:17:24 -0400
Link: https://arstechnica.com/?p=2010646

[image 1]

Enlarge[2] / Some ASCII art of our favorite visual cliche for a hacker. (credit:
Getty Images)

Researchers have discovered a new way to hack AI assistants that uses a
surprisingly old-school method: ASCII art. It turns out that chat-based large
language models such as GPT-4 get so distracted trying to process these
representations that they forget to enforce rules blocking harmful responses,
such as those providing instructions for building bombs.

ASCII art became popular in the 1970s, when the limitations of computers and
printers prevented them from displaying images. As a result, users depicted
images by carefully choosing and arranging printable characters defined by the
American Standard Code for Information Interchange, more widely known as ASCII.
The explosion of bulletin board systems in the 1980s and 1990s further
popularized the format.
@_____
_____)| /
/(""")o o
||*_-||| /
= / | /
___) (__| /
/ _/##|/
| | ###|/| |\###&&&&
| (_###&&&&&>
(____|(B&&&&
++++&&&/
###(O)### ####AAA####
####AAA####
###########
###########
###########
|_} {_|
|_| |_|
| | | |
ScS| | | |
|_| |_|
(__) (__)
_._
.. .--.
\ //\ .\ ///_\\
:/>` /(| `|'\ Y/ )))_-_/(( ./'_/ " _`)
.-" ._ / _.-" (_ Y/ _) |
" )" | ""/||
..-' .' / ||
/ ` / ||
| __ : ||_
| / '|`
`-'' ``--'

Five of the best-known AI assistants—OpenAI’s GPT-3.5 and GPT-4, Google’s
Gemini, Anthropic’s Claude, and Meta’s Llama—are trained to refuse to provide
unethical behavior. Prompting any of them, for example, to explain how to make
and circulate counterfeit currency is a no-go. So are instructions on hacking an
Internet of Things device, such as a surveillance camera or Internet router.

Read 11 remaining paragraphs[3] | Comments[4]

Links:
[1]: https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/ascii-art-hacker-800x585.jpg (image)
[2]: https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/ascii-art-hacker.jpg (link)
[3]: https://arstechnica.com/?p=2010646#p3 (link)
[4]: https://arstechnica.com/?p=2010646comments=1 (link)

Re: ASCII art vs AI

<slrnuvdm51.880.apple.universe@freight.zombinet>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3607&group=comp.misc#3607

From: apple.universe@posteo.net (Eric Pozharski)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: ASCII art vs AI
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 11:48:49 +0000
 by: Eric Pozharski - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 11:48 UTC

with <65f6b678$1$19603$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com> Retrograde wrote:
> From the «stop calling it intelligent» department:
> Feed: Ars Technica - All content
> Title: ASCII art elicits harmful responses from 5 major AI chatbots
> Author: Dan Goodin
> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 20:17:24 -0400
> Link: https://arstechnica.com/?p=2010646
*CUT* [ 69 lines 1 level deep]

Your script isn't capable to post ASCII-art. *You* must be ashamed.

Re: ASCII art vs AI

<ut7uas$1g45k$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3609&group=comp.misc#3609

From: fungus@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 23:28:29 -0000 (UTC)
DV s<~Tu)q"Z]^2KikYTfy^bh'9MsB'ObTszVRGI_#zXVB\_B4BE~|Ad
 by: Retrograde - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 23:28 UTC

On 2024-03-17, Eric Pozharski <apple.universe@posteo.net> wrote:
> with <65f6b678$1$19603$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com> Retrograde wrote:
>> From the «stop calling it intelligent» department:
>> Feed: Ars Technica - All content
>> Title: ASCII art elicits harmful responses from 5 major AI chatbots
>> Author: Dan Goodin
>> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 20:17:24 -0400
>> Link: https://arstechnica.com/?p=2010646
> *CUT* [ 69 lines 1 level deep]
>
> Your script isn't capable to post ASCII-art. *You* must be ashamed.

You are right; I am mortified. Not. Feel free to file a form to
request your purchase price refunded and we'll get right to it.

Looks like the backslash characters made this script eat shit pretty
quickly. FWIW it's a combination of bash and perl. And, I can't be
arsed to fix it, though I suspect perl is the culprit.

A previous version used python2 and no longer works. Thanks, python3
deprecation of 'batteries included.'

Re: ASCII art vs AI

<slrnuvg058.c79.apple.universe@freight.zombinet>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3612&group=comp.misc#3612

From: apple.universe@posteo.net (Eric Pozharski)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 08:51:52 +0000
 by: Eric Pozharski - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 08:51 UTC

with <ut7uas$1g45k$1@solani.org> Retrograde wrote:
> On 2024-03-17, Eric Pozharski <apple.universe@posteo.net> wrote:
>> with <65f6b678$1$19603$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com> Retrograde wrote:

>>> From the «stop calling it intelligent» department:
*SKIP* [ 7 lines 3 levels deep]
>> Your script isn't capable to post ASCII-art. *You* must be ashamed.
> You are right; I am mortified. Not. Feel free to file a form to
> request your purchase price refunded and we'll get right to it.

Well, no ASCII-art then.

*CUT* [ 8 lines 1 level deep]