https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=359&group=comp.periphs.printers#359

From: ank@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:41:37 -0500
sha1:LG1jdj8YWUeXVqxYUrm3UqiiMII=
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 02:41 UTC

On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:26:09 +0530, Indira wrote:

> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.periphs.printers
> subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

Suppose I can remove my "X-No-Archive: Yes" now to prevent from getting
my postings archived?

Although Gmane and others might still honor it.
--
Andreas

<uref7l$38vbi$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=362&group=comp.periphs.printers#362

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 09:51:10 +0530
 by: Indira - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 04:21 UTC

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

> Suppose I can remove my "X-No-Archive: Yes" now to prevent from getting
> my postings archived?

Good point!
It's ironic. But it's now no longer needed for Google groups archives.

> Although Gmane and others might still honor it.

Is Gmane still around?
http://gmane.org/post.php

I used to use gmane, years ago, via a normal nntp newsreader at
news.gmane.org:119 blank/blank
(i.e., I didn't use the mail-to-news gateway) in order to post to
gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user
gmane.linux.centos.general
etc.

But I thought that died (along with the Mozilla nntp server
atnews.mozilla.org:119 blank/blank
for posting to mozilla.support.firefox & mozilla.support.thunderbird
which, I think, no longer exists.
https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.firefox
https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.firefox/c/SxAJiCEQZAQ

https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.thunderbird
https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.thunderbird/c/LjUuhd9rYi8

In summary - aren't they both already long dead?

Re: Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions

<65dae214@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=363&group=comp.periphs.printers#363

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: 25 Feb 2024 16:45:40 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 06:45 UTC

Indira <indira@ghandi.net> wrote:
> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>
>> Suppose I can remove my "X-No-Archive: Yes" now to prevent from getting
>> my postings archived?
>
> Good point!
> It's ironic. But it's now no longer needed for Google groups archives.
>
>> Although Gmane and others might still honor it.
>
> Is Gmane still around?
> http://gmane.org/post.php

Yes, but it's now at gmane.io instead of gmane.org. I don't know
what it has to do with X-No-Archive though, because it doesn't
carry Usenet groups (just mailing lists and RSS feeds).

> I used to use gmane, years ago, via a normal nntp newsreader at
> news.gmane.org:119 blank/blank
> (i.e., I didn't use the mail-to-news gateway) in order to post to
> gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user
> gmane.linux.centos.general
> etc.
>
> But I thought that died (along with the Mozilla nntp server
> atnews.mozilla.org:119 blank/blank

Gmane.org was sold, but the buyers didn't do anything with it, so
its creator restarted it at gmane.io, now only via NNTP, without
the Web interfaces.

So replace news.gmane.org with news.gmane.io and it's just like old
times. Except that mailing lists are almost as unpopular now as
Usenet is.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

<uretg0$1obf9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=364&group=comp.periphs.printers#364

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 08:27:57 +0000
 by: Nuno Silva - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 08:27 UTC

On 2024-02-25, Indira wrote:

> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>
>> Suppose I can remove my "X-No-Archive: Yes" now to prevent from getting
>> my postings archived?
>
> Good point!
> It's ironic. But it's now no longer needed for Google groups archives.
>
>> Although Gmane and others might still honor it.
>
> Is Gmane still around?
> http://gmane.org/post.php
>
> I used to use gmane, years ago, via a normal nntp newsreader at
> news.gmane.org:119 blank/blank
> (i.e., I didn't use the mail-to-news gateway) in order to post to
> gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user
> gmane.linux.centos.general
> etc.

I think (I might be misremembering) that Gmane over network news always
worked; Lars at some point might have decided not to work on the web
interface anymore (possibly because of troll lawyers), but the service
itself remained on-line (again IIRC, and except DNS issues and changes).

Linking to posts on Gmane can be done like for other news servers

Although there might be another preferred format for such addresses, I
think this format works both in lynx and SeaMonkey Navigator.

> But I thought that died (along with the Mozilla nntp server
> atnews.mozilla.org:119 blank/blank
> for posting to mozilla.support.firefox & mozilla.support.thunderbird
> which, I think, no longer exists.

It lasted for a lot longer than the mozilla announcement, but at some
point Giganews removed the DNS entry, and then decomissioned the
server/setup that was serving news.mozilla.org. Near the end, I was
accessing it via the IP address.

> https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.firefox
> https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.firefox/c/SxAJiCEQZAQ
>
> https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.thunderbird
> https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.thunderbird/c/LjUuhd9rYi8

Now mozilla.support.seamonkey on Google Groups suffered the fate of
being flagged because of SPAM. Can you guess which server injected the
SPAM it most likely got flagged for?

https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.seamonkey

> In summary - aren't they both already long dead?

(Gmane is well alive, along with gwene; for the three news.mozilla.org
groups mentioned above, there are three new groups under alt.*)

--
Nuno Silva

<urg1nh$3badj$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=365&group=comp.periphs.printers#365

From: indira@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 00:12:58 +0530
 by: Indira - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 18:42 UTC

Nuno Silva wrote:

> Now mozilla.support.seamonkey on Google Groups suffered the fate of
> being flagged because of SPAM. Can you guess which server injected the
> SPAM it most likely got flagged for?
>
> https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.seamonkey

What was amazing (in a bad way) was how much the google groups spam
increased a thousand fold in the past few months - as if someone found a
way around google's filters and Google decided not to bother fixing them.

All the news admins who offered no login posting access had to fold such as
Steve Crook (mixmin) or Paolo Amaroso (aioe) or Netfront (chinese owner).

The only one left is Ivo Gondanfo (paganini) and he restricts the number of
posts severely by group and IP address and badword content filters.

Others allow read only (like dizum or blueworld) without login/password
but that's not going to ever be the cause of all that recent Usenet spam.

The rest of the news admins who had login requirements managed to filter
just fine - which is why it's strange to me that Google couldn't do it.

I wonder if one or two spammers found a loophole & exploited it to its
death? Why would they do that? It's like killing your own child?
>> In summary - aren't they both already long dead?
>
> (Gmane is well alive, along with gwene; for the three news.mozilla.org
> groups mentioned above, there are three new groups under alt.*)

Thanks. I didn't know that. I haven't used Gmane for a long time
and when I want to post to the Firefox or Thunderbird groups, I use
alt.comp.software.thunderbird & alt.comp.software.firefox

I didn't even realize the "news.mozilla.org" groups still existed.