"There are things that are so serious that you can only joke about them" -- Heisenberg

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Finding stream url, Playing http via an https site

SubjectAuthor
* Finding stream url, Playing http via an https sitemicky
+- Finding stream url, Playing http via an https sitemicky
+* Finding stream url, Playing http via an https siteStan Brown
|`- Finding stream url, Playing http via an https sitemicky
+* Finding stream url, Playing http via an https siteDave Roya
|`* Finding stream url, Playing http via an https sitemicky
| `- Finding stream url, Playing http via an https siteDave Roya
`* Finding stream url, Playing http via an https sitePaul in Houston TX
 `- Finding stream url, Playing http via an https sitemicky

1
Finding stream url, Playing http via an https site

<3rig9il40h5l11dkem13gn84tl5ko943jh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=330&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#330

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Finding stream url, Playing http via an https site
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 11:08:31 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 15:08 UTC

1) Is there any way to determine the stream URL if the webpage I'm using
to play Listen Live does't display the actual url? It does't appear
anywhere in the page, or in the lower left corner either.

https://www.cnn.com/audio is a good example of this. From it, you can
play CNN, CNN Internatinal, CNN in spanish, and HLN, whatever that is.
But when you pick one and play it, it doesn't give the URL.

I've also looked in Page Info and Page Source. Page source always
confuses me but here there are 2 lines:
<li class="item live-audio-item">
<live-audio-player-wc class="episode"
src="/audio/api/tunein/v1/media/s20407">
This is almost a full url, maybe just needs an https:// prefix, but
it's to tunein!! Why would CNN get its own content from Tunein?

I just bought a wifi radio. It seems very nice (details on request.
They have 3 models any one of which would be nice) and the seller,
GraceDigital provides a list of, was it 30,000 wifi stations, but CNN
does not appear to be one of them (I still have to play the two that
have similar names. it's a 3-step process the first time, and I've only
done the first step), and for sure a couple others I want that are
definitely not listed. If I learn the stream URL, Grace will add it to
their list and then I can load it to the radio. (They hint that they
will do some research if I can't give them the url, but I don't know how
busy they are, and I'd like to know how to do all this. .)
Is "stream url" the wrong term?

Related: 2) I'm trying to play a previously available station via
Tunein, but they say that because of an update to Chromium, which is the
base for Chrome, Firefox and Edge, http sites can no longer play on
https sites. (All I want right now is Science Zone Radio, which I used
to get with RadioMaximus (but it seems to have changed URL) I'm going to
write them for the stream URL and they will probably tell me** but I'm
sure the same question will come up with other stations. )

**(GraceDigital says to contact the station, so I guess that usually
works, but with a station as big as CNN, I'm thinking if they wanted me
to know, they would tell me and I could find it by googling stream
url cnn and that did not work. Is "stream url" the wrong term? )

It suggests changing the browser settings to allow playing http sites,
but webpages on the topic make this seem risky. There is no risk from
the audio feed I want, Science Zone Radio, but I gather if I permit http
feeds, that will include any http feed, right? But otoh, only if I
type it in or click on it somwhere, right?

Do you think it's a real risk?

How do I allow this in Firefox? the url below links to instructions for
Chrome, where there are site settings. If I'm enabling this by site,
one at a time, doesn't that eliminate all the risk... well, maybe but
that only works if I know the URL and I'm still trying to find that. ;-(

https://help.tunein.com/why-can-t-i-play-my-station-on-tunein-com-anymore--Sk_MFlRmU

Sorry if these questions are confused. It's only because I am!

Re: Finding stream url, Playing http via an https site

<q5ng9it1u16lstqn0nrai0svg4i81n0dmd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=332&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#332

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 11:29:25 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 15:29 UTC

I forgot that CNN is a tv station and I only have a radio.

If I find a url for the tv stream, do you think a wifi radio will still
play the audio, and throw away the extra information. Surely there
aren't two urls, audio and video, for a streaming tv station.

<MPG.3f020d10a3241d65990150@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=334&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#334

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 09:37:09 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 16:37 UTC

On Sun, 25 Jun 2023 11:08:31 -0400, micky wrote:
> src="/audio/api/tunein/v1/media/s20407"> ">
> This is almost a full url, maybe just needs an https:// prefix

A leading slash in a URL means "relative to the root of
the page that contains the link". Since you say you
found that link inside the page
https://www.cnn.com/audio, the root is www.cnn.com . So
the full URL would be
<https://www.cnn.com/audio/api/tunein/v1/media/s20407>

Whether that actually works depends on whether the web
page is a real one or a bunch of crappy scripts that
rewrite stuff on the fly. More and more websites seem
to be going in that direction, which is why so many
that used to work just fine without Javascript now
require it.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/

Re: Finding stream url, Playing http via an https site

<u7a1ke$if39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=336&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#336

Followup: alt.comp.software.firefox
From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 18:39:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 18:39 UTC

On 25 Jun 2023 11:08:31 -0400 micky wrote:
>1) Is there any way to determine the stream URL if the webpage I'm using
>to play Listen Live does't display the actual url? It does't appear
>anywhere in the page, or in the lower left corner either.

The infallible way is to use the network tab of the browser tools (F12).
That will show the actual URLs called by the site. There will probably be
an address which specifies the stream followed by a series of GETs for
chunks of data.

You may not be able to use those URLs outside the website - it might need
sign-in, cookies...

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Finding stream url, Playing http via an https site

<u7a886$jan0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=341&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#341

From: Paul@Houston.Texas (Paul in Houston TX)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 15:32:03 -0500
 by: Paul in Houston TX - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 20:32 UTC

micky wrote:
> [...]
> url cnn and that did not work. Is "stream url" the wrong term? )
>
> It suggests changing the browser settings to allow playing http sites,
> but webpages on the topic make this seem risky. There is no risk from
> the audio feed I want, Science Zone Radio, but I gather if I permit http
> feeds, that will include any http feed, right? But otoh, only if I
> type it in or click on it somwhere, right?
>
> Do you think it's a real risk?
>
> How do I allow this in Firefox? the url below links to instructions for
> Chrome, where there are site settings. If I'm enabling this by site,
> one at a time, doesn't that eliminate all the risk... well, maybe but
> that only works if I know the URL and I'm still trying to find that. ;-(
>
> https://help.tunein.com/why-can-t-i-play-my-station-on-tunein-com-anymore--Sk_MFlRmU
>
> Sorry if these questions are confused. It's only because I am!

Finding browser / http / https stream url's tends to be difficult to
impossible. The TV and radio streams are usually separate.
Many stations url hop with their streams, meaning that if you find the
stream then 5 seconds later it hops to a different url. Since there is
browser / internet lag it works quite well with browsers but not stream
players - on purpose more than likely. This makes you listen via a
browser, ads and all. If they use ipv6 it will be almost impossible to
find the stream.
I use a combination of old Zone Alarm firewall, Connections Viewer,
Wireshark, Cports, TCPView, etc. I use Screamer, et.al, to play the
streams. It can be done but will take time and patience.

Re: Finding stream url, Playing http via an https site

<drmh9ipiu503qtm5nia3072qskiplm2oka@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=352&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#352

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 21:03:56 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 01:03 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sun, 25 Jun 2023 18:39:10 -0000 (UTC),
Dave Royal<dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

>On 25 Jun 2023 11:08:31 -0400 micky wrote:
>>1) Is there any way to determine the stream URL if the webpage I'm using
>>to play Listen Live does't display the actual url? It does't appear
>>anywhere in the page, or in the lower left corner either.
>
>The infallible way is to use the network tab of the browser tools (F12).
>That will show the actual URLs called by the site. There will probably be

Well, that worked. I displayed an area with a long url and then clicked
back and forth in the top part of the screen on on CNN and CNN
internastinoal, and I saw part of the url change. Then I right clicked
and picked one of the options. But now I don't see a suitable
option!!!! (It I'd picked Copy, I would have had to choose Inner HTML,
OUter HTML and 2 others relaed to CSS and 2 others. It was only 10
minutes ago but I don't remember making that choice, but whatever showed
up in my clipboard I put in a new URL box and clicked and it played the
news. CNN news. Hopefully new news. (I'll compare when The Big Broadcast
is over.)

It even displayed a wide but very not tall progress line, with a dot
that move but never reached the end. It gets 90% of the way to the end
and then goes back a little and the maximum is displayed to the right of
the line and it keeps increasing. There's a speaker icon and a volume
level bar to, plus on the left a play arrow and a pause ||. Left of the
dot, the line is blue. Right of the white dot, it's grey. I wonder
what it will do with this stuff in the radio.

But this doesn't finish the effort. I can't put this in the radio. I
have to send it to GraceDigital and they have to put it in their list,
then I have to find it in their list, put it in MyStuff on the PC, then
on the radio select it from MyStuff, and then if I want, I can make it
one of my 5, 10, or 100 favorites. (or I can just get it out of MyStuff
every time but that will take a little longer.) They own the list,
but I'm sure some other department manages it and they may refuse. If
CNN told them to. Even though they request additions like this. I
have 4 others that they shoud not object to.

https://t1.streamguys1.com/secure-cnn?key=67e17b32441842e248f0b79b356e302f46d01ebaf5e0a0a9a74d00d0993b4c6c&aw_0_1st.playerid=SLb0WwgW&aw_0_1st.skey=1687738693&lat=39.0469&lon=-77.4903&aw_0_1st.abtest=0&partnerId=SLb0WwgW&aw_0_1st.stationId=s20407&aw_0_1st.premium=false&source=TuneIn&aw_0_1st.platform=tunein&aw_0_1st.genre_id=g3124&aw_0_1st.class=talk&aw_0_1st.ads_partner_alias=SLb0WwgW&aw_0_azn.planguage=en

Look at all the numbers this url uses. Did you know we import all these
Arabic numbers from Arab countries and the users pay a lot for them? It
really hurts our balance of payments to use such long numbers. Why do
we need more than 6 numbers here? Instead of worrying about carbon
dioxide, they should put some limits on this.

GraceDigital used to use a list they did not own, and something happened
to it and all the radios that used it weren't able to play every urls
anymore, and iiuc the number they couldn't play kept growing. They say
this won't happen again because they own the new list. :-) They're
open about the problem they had, and I'm surprised more people don't
refuse to take another chance. Or maybe they do.

I knew about F12 but I sort of thought it was the same as page source.
Now why would they have both if they were the same?

>an address which specifies the stream followed by a series of GETs for
>chunks of data.

It didn't have any Gets.

>You may not be able to use those URLs outside the website - it might need
>sign-in, cookies...

So far, no, not for CNN anyhow. I may want to do this for other
stations and maybe it won't work for some of them, but CNN was what I
really wanted. They have a lot of things I want that are already on
the list, 30,000 items.

Re: Finding stream url, Playing http via an https site

<f5ph9i5nrq39luqiv3g8k2bdmjjfkor08u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=353&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#353

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 21:09:15 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 01:09 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sun, 25 Jun 2023 15:32:03 -0500, Paul
in Houston TX <Paul@Houston.Texas> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> How do I allow this in Firefox? the url below links to instructions for
>> Chrome, where there are site settings. If I'm enabling this by site,
>> one at a time, doesn't that eliminate all the risk... well, maybe but
>> that only works if I know the URL and I'm still trying to find that. ;-(
>>
>> https://help.tunein.com/why-can-t-i-play-my-station-on-tunein-com-anymore--Sk_MFlRmU
>>
>> Sorry if these questions are confused. It's only because I am!
>
>Finding browser / http / https stream url's tends to be difficult to
>impossible. The TV and radio streams are usually separate.
>Many stations url hop with their streams, meaning that if you find the
>stream then 5 seconds later it hops to a different url. Since there is
>browser / internet lag it works quite well with browsers but not stream
>players - on purpose more than likely. This makes you listen via a

I'm not trying to avoid the ads. In fact I thought I coudn't.

> If they use ipv6 it will be almost impossible to
>find the stream.

Ugh.

>I use a combination of old Zone Alarm firewall, Connections Viewer,
>Wireshark, Cports, TCPView, etc. I use Screamer, et.al, to play the
>streams. It can be done but will take time and patience.

If Dave's suggestion doesn't work, I'll be back.

Thanks all.

Re: Finding stream url, Playing http via an https site

<nnnh9ilfa1h3nb9oo2sd3qno498bnvcc5a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=354&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#354

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 21:56:49 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 01:56 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sun, 25 Jun 2023 09:37:09 -0700, Stan
Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jun 2023 11:08:31 -0400, micky wrote:
>> src="/audio/api/tunein/v1/media/s20407"> ">
>> This is almost a full url, maybe just needs an https:// prefix
>
>A leading slash in a URL means "relative to the root of
>the page that contains the link". Since you say you
>found that link inside the page
>https://www.cnn.com/audio, the root is www.cnn.com . So
>the full URL would be
><https://www.cnn.com/audio/api/tunein/v1/media/s20407>

This looks good. Although I don't know why CNN would be calling tunein.
Tunein should be calling CNN. But it's there and it must do something.

>Whether that actually works depends on whether the web
>page is a real one or a bunch of crappy scripts that
>rewrite stuff on the fly. More and more websites seem
>to be going in that direction, which is why so many
>that used to work just fine without Javascript now
>require it.

It says "Uh-oh!
It could be you, or it could be us, but there's no page here."
But it's a CNN page so that's good. I'm sleepy but tomorrow I'll verify
the two parts. (Even though Dave's ansewer worked well so far.)

Re: Finding stream url, Playing http via an https site

<u7baqh$qobq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=358&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#358

Followup: alt.comp.software.firefox
From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 06:22:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 06:22 UTC

On 25 Jun 2023 21:03:56 -0400 micky wrote:
>In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sun, 25 Jun 2023 18:39:10 -0000 (UTC),
>Dave Royal<dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>
>>On 25 Jun 2023 11:08:31 -0400 micky wrote:
>>>1) Is there any way to determine the stream URL if the webpage I'm using
>>>to play Listen Live does't display the actual url? It does't appear
>>>anywhere in the page, or in the lower left corner either.
>>
>>The infallible way is to use the network tab of the browser tools (F12).
>>That will show the actual URLs called by the site. There will probably be
>
>Well, that worked. I displayed an area with a long url and then clicked
>back and forth in the top part of the screen on on CNN and CNN
>internastinoal, and I saw part of the url change. Then I right clicked
>and picked one of the options...

Good. Though that's not what I suggested. I often do what you did - but
it's too hard to describe here ;)

Take a look at the _Network_ tab when you press play. You should see the
URL you identified followed by the URLs of all the chunks of media as they
arrive.