From: chris@tinnews.co.uk
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Pi 4 USB boot now working
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:57:49 +0000
 by: chris@tinnews.co.uk - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:57 UTC

Just to report success (at last) with getting my Pi 4 to boot from USB.

The problem I was having with the 500Gb USB drive was either due to
power problems or timing, I'm not sure which. As reported in the
original thread about this the Pi booted from this drive OK when it
was plugged into one of the USB-2 sockets but failed to boot (from the
USB) when it was plugged into one of the USB-3 sockets.

I have now put an old[ish] 320Gb drive in a SATA to USB-3 box which has
it's own power supply and that works perfectly when plugged into one
of the USB-3 sockets.

Having configured the eeprom to look for USB *before* SD it boots from the
USB if the USB is there. This is rather handy as I was then able to
mount the SD card and copy files from there to the new installation.

Just for interest (and in response to another query/suggestion here)
/etc/fstab is:-

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
PARTUUID=e258a3fc-01 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
PARTUUID=e258a3fc-02 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
# use dphys-swapfile swap[on|off] for that

I.e. the /boot and / partitions are recognised solely by their
partition IDs, no device names in there at all.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Re: Pi 4 USB boot now working

<spfl8g$obk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3577&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#3577

From: alexandre@dumas.fr.invalid (A. Dumas)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Pi 4 USB boot now working
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:16:32 +0100
 by: A. Dumas - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 15:16 UTC

On 16-12-2021 12:57, chris@tinnews.co.uk wrote:
> Just for interest (and in response to another query/suggestion here)
> /etc/fstab is:-
>
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> PARTUUID=e258a3fc-01 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
> PARTUUID=e258a3fc-02 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
> # a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
> # use dphys-swapfile swap[on|off] for that
>
> I.e. the /boot and / partitions are recognised solely by their
> partition IDs, no device names in there at all.

Which is what you want, otherwise when, for some random reason, the
devices get swapped at boot (sda<->sdb), nothing works anymore.

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: Pi 4 USB boot now working