19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

SubjectAuthor
* The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux DesktopNic
`* Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktopdavid c
 +* Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux DesktopNic
 |+* Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktopjjb
 ||+- Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux DesktopRob H
 ||`- Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux DesktopKilladebug
 |`- Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux DesktopGordon
 `* Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux DesktopGordon
  `* Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux DesktopPaul
   `- Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux DesktopNP2

1
The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

<gjU8K.867038$aT3.515834@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3568&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3568

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Subject: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:46:35 -0400
 by: Nic - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 14:46 UTC

https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-disk-cloning-software-for-linux/

Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

<t46gql$784$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3576&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3576

From: dave61430@nowhere.org (david c)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:04:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: david c - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:04 UTC

On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:46:35 -0400, Nic wrote:

> https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-disk-cloning-software-for-linux/

And that article states Clonezilla is the best. I've used quite a few,
and Clonezilla is the worst in my opinion.
Redo is simple and makes an image, but there are so many out there!

Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

<gJA9K.6189$lX6b.750@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3577&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3577

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:18:04 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:18 UTC

On 4/25/22 12:04 PM, david c wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:46:35 -0400, Nic wrote:
>
>> https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-disk-cloning-software-for-linux/
> And that article states Clonezilla is the best. I've used quite a few,
> and Clonezilla is the worst in my opinion.
> Redo is simple and makes an image, but there are so many out there!

I have not had good luck with Clonezilla either, I just brought this up
so that a discussion could be started in the hope of learning what
others use and who knows maybe add to this list.

Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

<t46oau$1jq6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3579&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3579

From: invalid@invalid.nl (jjb)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:12:45 +0200
 by: jjb - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 18:12 UTC

On 25-04-2022 19:18, Nic wrote:
> On 4/25/22 12:04 PM, david c wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:46:35 -0400, Nic wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-disk-cloning-software-for-linux/
>> And that article states Clonezilla is the best. I've used quite a few,
>> and Clonezilla is the worst in my opinion.
>> Redo is simple and makes an image, but there are so many out there!
>
> I have not had good luck with Clonezilla either, I just brought this up
> so that a discussion could be started in the hope of learning what
> others use and who knows maybe add to this list.

I use Clonezilla and it saved my bacon more than once. I would be the
first to agree that the interface is not the easiest, an error is easily
made so you have to start over. There are examples on the web for most
operations, though.
Whatever program you use for image backups though, make sure you test an
image save followed by an image restore on bare metal. Too many people
discovered after a small disaster that the restore operation was
impossible...

Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

<jcob9kFda4nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3581&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3581

From: rob@despammer.com (Rob H)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:32:04 +0100
 by: Rob H - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:32 UTC

On 25/04/2022 19:12, jjb wrote:
> On 25-04-2022 19:18, Nic wrote:

>>> And that article states Clonezilla is the best. I've used quite a few,
>>> and Clonezilla is the worst in my opinion.
>>> Redo is simple and makes an image, but there are so many out there!
>>
>> I have not had good luck with Clonezilla either, I just brought this up
>> so that a discussion could be started in the hope of learning what
>> others use and who knows maybe add to this list.
>>
> I use Clonezilla and it saved my bacon more than once. I would be the
> first to agree that the interface is not the easiest, an error is easily
> made so you have to start over. There are examples on the web for most
> operations, though.
> Whatever program you use for image backups though, make sure you test an
> image save followed by an image restore on bare metal. Too many people
> discovered after a small disaster that the restore operation was
> impossible...

I am presently using dd to clone a ubuntu disk to another. As it is
being done through a usb 2 interface, it is quite slow, but I'm in no
rush anyway.

Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

<t478j4$bfg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3582&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3582

From: killadebug@mouse-potato.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 22:50:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 22:50 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:12:45 +0200, jjb wrote:

> On 25-04-2022 19:18, Nic wrote:

>>> And that article states Clonezilla is the best. I've used quite a few,
>>> and Clonezilla is the worst in my opinion.
>>> Redo is simple and makes an image, but there are so many out there!
>>
>> I have not had good luck with Clonezilla either, I just brought this up
>> so that a discussion could be started in the hope of learning what
>> others use and who knows maybe add to this list.
>>
> I use Clonezilla and it saved my bacon more than once. I would be the
> first to agree that the interface is not the easiest, an error is easily
> made so you have to start over. There are examples on the web for most
> operations, though.
> Whatever program you use for image backups though, make sure you test an
> image save followed by an image restore on bare metal. Too many people
> discovered after a small disaster that the restore operation was
> impossible...

I've been using Clonezilla also ...It has saved my bacon several
times....Every other backup I zap my ssd with a secure erase, then
restore it using the last clonezilla image....Has not failed me yet

Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

<jcpa2cFijtuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3583&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3583

From: Gordon@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: 26 Apr 2022 04:17:16 GMT
 by: Gordon - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 04:17 UTC

On 2022-04-25, david c <dave61430@nowhere.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:46:35 -0400, Nic wrote:
>
>> https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-disk-cloning-software-for-linux/
>
> And that article states Clonezilla is the best. I've used quite a few,
> and Clonezilla is the worst in my opinion.

A reason as to why would be helpful.

> Redo is simple and makes an image, but there are so many out there!

Choice is good.

Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

<jcpag4FijtuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3584&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3584

From: Gordon@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: 26 Apr 2022 04:24:36 GMT
 by: Gordon - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 04:24 UTC

On 2022-04-25, Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:
> On 4/25/22 12:04 PM, david c wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:46:35 -0400, Nic wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-disk-cloning-software-for-linux/
>> And that article states Clonezilla is the best. I've used quite a few,
>> and Clonezilla is the worst in my opinion.
>> Redo is simple and makes an image, but there are so many out there!
>
> I have not had good luck with Clonezilla either, I just brought this up
> so that a discussion could be started in the hope of learning what
> others use and who knows maybe add to this list.

Clonezilla has many options as is powerful. Does the home owner need to
clone 40 machines, not really. Clonezilla has a UI which is basic but get
the job done.

Having to satrt over is you pick the incorrect menu is a drag. As is having
to type in the reguired info.

Having said that I still use it and if Clonzilla says something is not
right, it is not right and take note. You do get used to the interface.

Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

<t48k6g$42u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3585&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3585

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 07:14:24 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:14 UTC

On 4/26/2022 12:17 AM, Gordon wrote:
> On 2022-04-25, david c <dave61430@nowhere.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 10:46:35 -0400, Nic wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-disk-cloning-software-for-linux/
>>
>> And that article states Clonezilla is the best. I've used quite a few,
>> and Clonezilla is the worst in my opinion.
>
> A reason as to why would be helpful.

"A maze of twisty passages, all the same"

https://www.cyberciti.biz/media/new/cms/2014/08/clonezilla-1.png

Where am I ?

How many menu levels are above or below me ?

Which step of the process am I on right now ?

How many more choice steps, before the operation starts ?

Even with an interface like that, you could do better.

Paul

Re: The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop

<t498u4$1eq9f$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3592&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3592

From: NP2@somewhere.invalid (NP2)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 19:08:20 +0200
 by: NP2 - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:08 UTC

Paul wrote:

> "A maze of twisty passages, all the same"
>
> https://www.cyberciti.biz/media/new/cms/2014/08/clonezilla-1.png
>
> Where am I ?
>
> How many menu levels are above or below me ?
>
> Which step of the process am I on right now ?
>
> How many more choice steps, before the operation starts ?
>
> Even with an interface like that, you could do better.
>
>    Paul

I've posted this here before, but well, here it is again:

https://cjoint.com/doc/22_04/LDArcResmt4_Clonezilla.png

I don't trust a program that doesn't know basic math.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / The 15 Best Disk Cloning Software for Linux Desktop