From: none@anytime.net (Juan S)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Thunderbird question
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:47:32 -0500
 by: Juan S - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:47 UTC

I use Thunderbird with Ubuntu, but I know folks also use it for Win, so
maybe you can help me.

I recently had to confirm to AOL's new standards on a couple of my email
accounts. I was having difficulty making the settings changes in
Thunderbird (wouldn't save the settings changes even if closed and
reopened), so deleted two accounts and started over in Thunderbird. When
I deleted, I made sure to select "remove account information" and NOT
"remove message data." Upon recreating these two accounts, they are
now working, but the emails are no longer in the inbox (or any I sent in
the outbox). I need them. They should still be present somewhere and
how do I get them to show again in the inbox?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Thunderbird question

<nh+5fdQ$RC6hFwpO@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3563&group=alt.windows7.general#3563

From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Thunderbird question
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:47:27 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:47 UTC

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 at 08:47:32, Juan S <none@anytime.net> wrote (my
>I use Thunderbird with Ubuntu, but I know folks also use it for Win, so
>maybe you can help me.

You may not be aware of the new(ish - last year or two I think?)
thunderbird newsgroup - I've added it. (If you think your newsserver
doesn't carry it, try a refresh newsgroups list.)

>I recently had to confirm to AOL's new standards on a couple of my
>email accounts. I was having difficulty making the settings changes in
>Thunderbird (wouldn't save the settings changes even if closed and
>reopened), so deleted two accounts and started over in Thunderbird.
>When I deleted, I made sure to select "remove account information" and
>NOT "remove message data." Upon recreating these two accounts, they
>are now working, but the emails are no longer in the inbox (or any I
>sent in the outbox). I need them. They should still be present
>somewhere and how do I get them to show again in the inbox?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Not my news/email client, but at a guess (having helped others who use
it), your new account will have set up new folders - the old ones will
still be present, but not attached to the new account. Not sure if you
can within TB gain access to them, or if you have to - with TB closed -
move/rename the old in and out boxes (once you can find them!) to
replace the ones the new account is using. (BACK UP first once you've
found them!)

"I'm a paranoid agnostic. I doubt the existence of God, but I'm sure there is
some force, somewhere, working against me." - Marc Maron

Re: Thunderbird question

<ss9t9q$6ld$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3579&group=alt.windows7.general#3579

From: none@anytime.net (Juan S)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:45:46 -0500
 by: Juan S - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 20:45 UTC

Ok, well, with little loss, I was able to find a recent back up, but
herein lies the problem I'm having, which has been going on for a while
and I have yet to solve. I have three accounts and two are working
fine, but one is not. It is showing the following behavior:

If I highlight this problem account and then choose "edit SMTP server",
under the security and authentication section, "user name" keeps
changing back to one of the other accounts. If I change it to what it
should be, everything works fine... I can send and receive emails to
myself. If I close Thunderbird and reopen, the user name has changed
back to one of the other accounts again. At no where else does this
show up. Under "server settings" it is showing the correct server and
user names and the same if I go to the "outgoing server (SMTP)"
settings.

I scratch my head with this, so would appreciate any help here. I don't
want to try just deleting the account again and starting over as that is
where I had problems not being able to locate existing important emails
earlier. Thanks in advance.

Re: Thunderbird question

<ss9to0$fjd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3580&group=alt.windows7.general#3580

From: mayayana@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:53:12 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 20:53 UTC

"Juan S" <none@anytime.net> wrote

| If I highlight this problem account and then choose "edit SMTP server",
| under the security and authentication section, "user name" keeps
| changing back to one of the other accounts. If I change it to what it
| should be, everything works fine... I can send and receive emails to
| myself. If I close Thunderbird and reopen, the user name has changed
| back to one of the other accounts again. At no where else does this
| show up. Under "server settings" it is showing the correct server and
| user names and the same if I go to the "outgoing server (SMTP)"
| settings.
| Maybe try setting up a new SMTP account. TBird has
an irritating design in that respect. Settings for incoming
are by account, as they should be. For outgoing you can
set up any number of SMTP server designations and assign
any number of accounts to them. So you could just try setting
up a double of the first server settings and see if that takes.

With the old email, on Windows it's in the app data folder
if it's saved. It may exist as a duplicate with a different name.
You'd have to find your Linux equivalent of app data in order
to check.

Re: Thunderbird question

<ss9umb$tbs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3581&group=alt.windows7.general#3581

From: none@anytime.net (Juan S)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:09:31 -0500
 by: Juan S - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 21:09 UTC

On 1/19/22 3:53 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Juan S" <none@anytime.net> wrote
>
> | If I highlight this problem account and then choose "edit SMTP server",
> | under the security and authentication section, "user name" keeps
> | changing back to one of the other accounts. If I change it to what it
> | should be, everything works fine... I can send and receive emails to
> | myself. If I close Thunderbird and reopen, the user name has changed
> | back to one of the other accounts again. At no where else does this
> | show up. Under "server settings" it is showing the correct server and
> | user names and the same if I go to the "outgoing server (SMTP)"
> | settings.
> |
> Maybe try setting up a new SMTP account. TBird has
> an irritating design in that respect. Settings for incoming
> are by account, as they should be. For outgoing you can
> set up any number of SMTP server designations and assign
> any number of accounts to them. So you could just try setting
> up a double of the first server settings and see if that takes.

Wow, that did the trick! I've been trying to figure this out for six
months. I failed to notice that I can actually select which outgoing
SMTP I want to use for each account. Thanks so much for your help!
Well, now that everything is solved and email working again, time for a
back up!