From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: ProtonVPN beta & DCO
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:48:24 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:48 UTC

I haven't tested this beta on anything but Ubuntu.

Proton VPN has a beta of their linux app which employs openvpn DCO which
is allegedly as fast as wireguard.

Here's some info about the tech:
https://openvpn.net/blog/openvpn-data-channel-offload/ We Now Have
OpenVPN Data Channel Offload: Here's What That Means

I've had less 'trouble' implementing the beta linux app than I did the
manual config or the earlier proton linux app. Proton says that they
will be adding wg to the app in the future, which wg manual instruction
wasn't nearly as handy as the GUI app.

Navigating the proton site isn't always intuitive so I'll give links
https://protonvpn.com/support/openvpn-dco/
https://protonvpn.com/support/linux-prerelease/
https://protonvpn.com/support/official-ubuntu-vpn-setup/#beta

--
Mike Easter

Re: ProtonVPN beta & DCO

<kp8ll8FdmmqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3562&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3562

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Re: ProtonVPN beta & DCO
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:02:48 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 00:02 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Proton VPN has a beta

It isn't actually a beta; the webpages aren't up-to-date. The About
says it is 4.0.0 but doesn't give a date for beta to stable.

--
Mike Easter

Re: ProtonVPN beta & DCO

<ugnepj$3de3h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3563&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3563

From: stepore@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:09:55 -0700
 by: stepore - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 02:09 UTC

On 10/17/23 15:48, Mike Easter wrote:
<snip>
> Proton VPN has a beta of their linux app which employs openvpn DCO which
> is allegedly as fast as wireguard.

Full transparency... I'd never speak poorly about any opensource
application. I absolutely appreciate the work, effort and generosity
that anyone has put into developing something for the community. But I
don't think it's just the speed that wireguard provides, it also shines
and is a stellar showcase of code simplicity, elegance and security
(auditing). From what I've seen, heard, researched... openVPN is a bit
of a mess in the code department. But I still have it running on one of
my secondary/backup home VPNs.

Re: ProtonVPN beta & DCO

<kp8uklFf637U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3564&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3564

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:36:04 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 02:36 UTC

stepore wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
> <snip>
>> Proton VPN has a beta of their linux app which employs openvpn DCO which
>> is allegedly as fast as wireguard.
>
> Full transparency... I'd never speak poorly about any opensource
> application. I absolutely appreciate the work, effort and generosity
> that anyone has put into developing something for the community. But I
> don't think it's just the speed that wireguard provides, it also shines
> and is a stellar showcase of code simplicity, elegance and security
> (auditing). From what I've seen, heard, researched... openVPN is a bit
> of a mess in the code department. But I still have it running on one of
> my secondary/backup home VPNs.

Yes; I agree that I like the 'tech' of wg compared to ovpn.

However, whenever i 'play around' with the implementations of VPN which
are available from the various providers (I've only been looking at
forms of free), there is more ovpn available than wg for linux.

My experiences w/ wg-quick haven't been entirely smooth.

Considering my relative 'disinterest' in vpn, I'm surprised I've been
fooling w/ it some. I don't really have a need. I don't believe I need
to hide anything from my connectivity provider and I don't have trouble
connecting to anything because I'm the wrong IP, and I don't do things
that would get me into copyright trouble, and I'm not a privacy buff.

--
Mike Easter

Re: ProtonVPN beta & DCO

<ugq2a6$3fid$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3565&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3565

From: stepore@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 18:55:18 -0700
 by: stepore - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 01:55 UTC

On 10/17/23 19:36, Mike Easter wrote:
> Considering my relative 'disinterest' in vpn, I'm surprised I've been
> fooling w/ it some. I don't really have a need. I don't believe I need
> to hide anything from my connectivity provider and I don't have trouble
> connecting to anything because I'm the wrong IP, and I don't do things
> that would get me into copyright trouble, and I'm not a privacy buff.

Those are all very legitimate use cases for VPNs but you're missing
another main use. To run your own VPN at home so you can access your
internal network securely from anywhere in the world, including public
spaces. It's legit. This is my main use and I use it daily. I use it for
both laptop access to my home network and mobile phones.

Combine VPN and ad-blocking with Pi-hole and you have a super
secure/private connection from anywhere back to your home:
https://pi-hole.net/
https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/wireguard/overview/

Re: ProtonVPN beta & DCO

<kpblj3F8e8tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3566&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3566

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 20:20:02 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 03:20 UTC

stepore wrote:
> Combine VPN and ad-blocking with Pi-hole and you have a super
> secure/private connection from anywhere back to your home:
> https://pi-hole.net/
> https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/wireguard/overview/

I do have an old RPi 3B usually resting nearby, but my activities don't
bring me any need for a home vpn; but I might set it up for the experience.

I had some trouble again today setting up Proton VPN's wireguard on a
live 23.10 Kubuntu. Its package/instructions expects some compiling
which didn't work out. I'll try again on a current more gnome-ish Ub.

I've succeeded w/ wireguard's instructions w/ some bumps; bumps being
conditions not covered by the instructions, leaving the 'unwise'
unskilled user to tough/dig it out :-)

--
Mike Easter

Re: ProtonVPN beta & DCO

<kpibamFhh4pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3567&group=alt.os.linux.ubuntu#3567

From: MikeE@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:07:48 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:07 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> However, whenever i 'play around' with the implementations of VPN which
> are available from the various providers (I've only been looking at
> forms of free), there is more ovpn available than wg for linux.
>
> My experiences w/ wg-quick haven't been entirely smooth.

I've found a smoother experience for me for wg, namely wireguird.

The live I was testing was Sparky Mate 8 a '23 Oct Debian testing, not
Ub, so this is some OT for an Ub group.

For linux, among other things, Proton free provides GUI for ovpn,
'instructions' for command operations for wg, ovpn & wg .conf files for
..us .jp .nl, but I've had both troubles and success w/ the command
instructions, depending on the distro tested.

In the case of the Sparky Deb testing Mate, wireguird installed (w/ an
easily resolved hiccup) and successfully imported 3 .conf files one each
for the countries and connected satisfactorily to each.

https://github.com/UnnoTed/wireguird

github mentions the Ub released v/s tested.

--
Mike Easter