No one wants war. -- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7

computers / comp.misc / Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitors

SubjectAuthor
* HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsRetrograde
+* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsMarco Moock
|+- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorscandycanearter07
|+* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsRich
||+* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorscandycanearter07
|||`* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsRich
||| `* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsD
|||  `* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsRich
|||   `- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsD
||`- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsMarco Moock
|`* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsRon Lauzon
| +- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsMarco Moock
| `- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsAharon Robbins
+- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorscandycanearter07
+- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsyeti
+* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsRichard Kettlewell
|`* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorscandycanearter07
| `* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsBob Eager
|  `* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsScott Dorsey
|   +- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorscandycanearter07
|   `- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsRich
+* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsdbnnet
|+* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsD
||`* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsScott Alfter
|| `* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsTheo
||  `- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsRich
|`* Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsComputer Nerd Kev
| `- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsD
`- Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitorsdbnnet

Pages:12
Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitors

<1990991626@f137.n4.z21.fsxnet>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3540&group=comp.misc#3540

From: Ron.Lauzon@f137.n4.z21.fsxnet (Ron Lauzon)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitors
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 08:17:30 +1300
 by: Ron Lauzon - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 19:17 UTC

MM> Such printers are widely available and ink is available from 3rd
MM> parties.

And HP (and others) are doing the best to derail you from using 3rd party ink.

I used 3rd party ink in one of my HP printers and it simply refused to print.
A previous HP printer that I had actually got messed up after using 3rd party
ink.

BTW: My next printer will **not** be HP.

.... Top secret! Burn before reading!

Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitors

<useh96$1ir7m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3541&group=comp.misc#3541

From: mm+usenet@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 09:12:21 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 08:12 UTC

Am 06.03.2024 schrieb Ron.Lauzon@f137.n4.z21.fsxnet (Ron Lauzon):

> And HP (and others) are doing the best to derail you from using 3rd
> party ink.
>
> I used 3rd party ink in one of my HP printers and it simply refused
> to print. A previous HP printer that I had actually got messed up
> after using 3rd party ink.

They can do that only an newer printers.
I have some older ones, they don't have network connection, so I doubt
they will provide a firmware update for them.

Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitors

<20240308-085127.11.0@dbnnet.news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3542&group=comp.misc#3542

From: dbnnet@invalid.com (dbnnet)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 10:51:27 +0200
 by: dbnnet - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 08:51 UTC

In article <65e1e472$0$19594$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>,
fungus@amongus.com.invalid says...
>From the «eat sh*t and die, HP» department:
>Feed: OSnews
>Title: HP wants you to pay up to $36/month to rent a printer that it
monitors
>Author: Thom Holwerda
>Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 19:47:12 -0500
>Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/138668/hp-wants-you-to-pay-up-to-36-
month-to-rent-a-printer-that-it-monitors/

>HP launched a subscription service[1] today that rents people a printer,
>allots them a specific amount of printed pages, and sends them ink for a
>monthly fee. HP is framing its service as a way to simplify printing for
>families and small businesses, but the deal also comes with monitoring and
a >years-long commitment.

>Prices range from $6.99 per month for a plan that includes an HP Envy
printer
>(the current model is the 6020e) and 20 printed pages. The priciest plan
>includes an HP OfficeJet Pro rental and 700 printed pages for $35.99 per
>month.
>? Scharon Harding at Ars Technica[2]
>
>Can I pay them not to put a printer in my house?
>
>Links:
>[1]: https://www.hp.com/us-en/all-in-plan/printers.html (link)
>[2]: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/hp-wants-you-to-pay-up-to-36-
month-to-rent-a-printer-that-it-monitors/ (link)

In Today's The Register:
www.theregister.com/2024/03/07/hp_ink_addicts/?td=rt-3a
"HP print rental service seeks more users to become subscription addicts"

Re: HP wants you to rent a printer it monitors

<65eadf02$0$707$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3543&group=comp.misc#3543

From: arnold@skeeve.com (Aharon Robbins)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 08 Mar 2024 09:48:50 GMT
 by: Aharon Robbins - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 09:48 UTC

In article <1990991626@f137.n4.z21.fsxnet>,
Ron Lauzon <Ron.Lauzon@f137.n4.z21.fsxnet> wrote:
> MM> Such printers are widely available and ink is available from 3rd
> MM> parties.
>
>And HP (and others) are doing the best to derail you from using 3rd party ink.
>
>I used 3rd party ink in one of my HP printers and it simply refused to print.
>A previous HP printer that I had actually got messed up after using 3rd party
>ink.
>
>BTW: My next printer will **not** be HP.

It's well known that a laser printer has much lower cost per page
than an ink jet printer. HP's laser printers have *excellent* Linux
support, as well as network support. I've been using them exclusively
for over 20 years.

I haven't tested my most recent one if it takes a 3rd party toner
or not, and HP toner is more expensive. OTOH, one cartridge prints
thousands of pages, and the current models do duplexing and scanning
as well.

I'll agree, ink jet printers are a bad deal. Laser printers much less
so.

My two cents.
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins arnold AT skeeve DOT com